Walgreens Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Stefano Pessina

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a great benefit (in 238 reviews)

• Employee discount comes in handy (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no Work/Life balance (in 99 reviews)

• The upper management seemed disconnected with team staff in that store-level problems were sometimes ignored by supervisors (in 150 reviews)

1. Great place to be

Former Employee - Front Clerk in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Front Clerk in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

None really they are pretty awesome people to get along with and they let you off when you request and things like that

Cons

Advice to Management

My advice would be to come here and work for this amazing company you will love it. Great people wonderful environment and i enjoyed my co workers

Review

Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens (Less than a year)

Pros

Committed to customer service. Clear direction and focused on growing with time. Always challenging the status quo in the industry and enjoys staying ahead of changes.

Cons

Retail work conditions have not improved. Job comfort has not improved with time and requirements. Long standing hours and challenging budget hours to work employee schedule around.

Advice to Management

Focus on people ahead of strategic goals. Happy employees will attain the goals with ease. Field level still highly focused on KPI's forcing employees to improve numbers on paper versus spending time with customers.

3. Okay

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Walgreens (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, better than CVS, staff care about customers regardless of bad pay, employee discount, pay time off, cheap photos

Cons

Hard to get raise, cheap company does not invest in employees. Low hourly budget, not clean, burn you out, 25 cent raise, rude customers

Advice to Management

Invest more into employees, happy employees more business, raide base pay, more hours and employments, close pharmacy down earlier

5. overall pretty good company if you are at a good store

Former Employee - Photo Tech/Floor in New Caney, TX
    Former Employee - Photo Tech/Floor in New Caney, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you get a good store with good people its a wonderful work environment. I loved working there.

Cons

very crappy pay they usually start around $7.50/hour and they usually don't let anyone get overtime.

Advice to Management

Please give the employees that work their bottoms off and like the company a chance for promotion. I picked up other people's slack constantly and got the shift lead's list and always made sure it was complete. When the shift leads were busy in pharmacy I took their place and made sure the other employees did what they were supposed to. I even had customers come in and specifically ask for me only to help them all the time. I was also the person they would always call if someone else couldn't work their shift. I wanted and NEEDED to move up to shift lead very passionately and they knew it and never gave me the chance. I loved my job and my customers but I have a kid and couldn't survive on $7.75/hour without overtime. I would have stayed if I got shift lead. i already knew how to do almost all the duties a shift lead has because I made it a point to ask each one how to do specific things and they taught me. I knew how to do a lot more than people that had been there for many years.

6. Pharmacy Tech Trainee

Former Intern - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Katy, TX
    Former Intern - Pharmacy Tech Trainee in Katy, TX

I worked at Walgreens as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I really liked working in the pharmacy setting due to the steady pace or work that isn't too stressful plus it's a great pay.

Cons

I feel as if the pharmacy technician does more work than the pharmacist at times even though the pay isn't as good as it should be.

Advice to Management

I think the management at Walgreens was pretty great. i have no complaints at all. The pharmacy supervisor on the hand could be more friendly.

work ok, pay sucksss

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My employees are fun to be around, we are all trained, and my pharmacy manager is the best !! I wouldn't want to work for anybody else , I love my insurance and the prescription co pays :-) .... I heard the dental and eye insurance suck to .... but dental is like 6 dollars every pay period .. and cleaning and check ups are free :-)

Cons

the breaks wish they were longer, the pay pay pay ..like how a billion dollar company pay there technicians 11.50 and there senior tech 13.00.. and the cap pay is 17.25 did I mention the cap pay so that means you will not get anymore than that... oh yea you get like 26 cents raises every six months .. so its going to take you yearsssssssss to get that .

Advice to Management

pay us more , and you will keep the tech you have invested your money into

8. Some will love working here, some will hate it.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Katy, TX

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good discounts.
    Managers are flexible and understanding.

Cons

Only 2 shifts: opening and closing.
    Shifts last for half the day.
    Some sale prices are not processed correctly.

Advice to Management

Have at least five people scheduled instead of four to increase amount of work done.

Horrid

Current Employee - Photo Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

coworkers are nice and helpful

Cons

everything lots of work low pay not loyal to employes

10. not the worst.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

on the job training.. as well as the Pharmacy Technician Exam being paid for.

Cons

chaotic and very unorganized, the insurance is way too high especially for just one person, you don't get PTO until after a year, the pay in comparisons to other chains isn't really that great.

Advice to Management

compensate your staff better, diversify the setting, promote growth within the pharmacy.

11. Employees are their last concern

Former Employee - Store Floor Lead (SFL) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Floor Lead (SFL) in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits package if you stay around. This is coupled with a lousy starting pay rate that goes up quite slowly if you are an SFL (Store Floor Leader) and even if you go the next step up as ASM-T(Assistant Manager in Training). At least however the benefits package is decent for what you can now expect in today's corporate world.

Cons

There is a huge turnover in terms of "store leadership". The result is that, for the leadership staff that stays, the bulk of the work is on their shoulders. They are now (2015) in a huge transformation change in their leadership area in the stores and above. Along with this are huge cuts. They just announced another need for a 1/2 billion in cuts on top of the 1 billion announced this past year. The result will be a further erosion of store conditions (deeper labor cuts) and their promise of updated technology in the stores will go up in smoke. The new leadership under Pessina is trying to overcome the incompetence of the old leadership under Wasson but they are apparently going to do it on the backs of the lower wage earners and the stores themselves.

Advice to Management

Not that they will even pay attention to this, but upper level management needs to find a way of not only recruiting higher quality SFLs (Store Floor Leaders) but also find a way of keeping them. A year at most a good majority of SFLs figure out what a raw deal they've been handed.

Showing 121 of 5,211 reviews