Walgreens Reviews in Houston, TX

3,476 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,854 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

78 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Retail Store and Pharmacy Experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, profit-sharing, time-off policies.

Cons

Employees not adequately compensated. Employees continually asked to do more with less and exceed customer expectations which is basically an no -win situation corporate has set.

Great learning experience

Former Employee - Intern  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens as an intern for less than a year

Pros

My co-workers and managers were very helpful and patient in training me and teaching me all there was to learn about the company.

Cons

It is extremely busy and hours get cut so we lose valuable coverage in the pharmacy.

just another corporation

Former Employee - Rx Tech  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Rx Tech in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nothing for techs but if you're pharmacy manager they take care of you little better.

Cons

harsh working condition. techs are sandwiched between managers, patients, and health providers without any consideration. only pharmacists get something techs are at the bottom. most techs leave after 3 months

take care of the frontline

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible

Current Employee - Photo Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for more than a year

Pros

Chill environment, not a lot of work pressure. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Very less or no chances of promotion. Minimum wage for all cashiers, cosmeticians and photo specialists. Less hours to work and on holidays overtime might not be given.

Stop hiring people on minimum wage. Give your senior employees some preference over the new ones. Create chances for employees to move up the ladder, instead of keeping them at one position for years.

You are expected to do the job of five people with very minimum pay

Current Employee - Photo Specialist  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Walgreens does offer advancement within the company my issue is once you reach a certain level or have been employed a certain amount of years you become like I am now tapped out when it comes to getting raises. I have worked there for 12 years and no matter how hard I work I can't get another raise.

Cons

The customer is always right goes way too far with Walgreens not only do you have to contend with coupon queens you have to deal with people who has the smallest problem but turns it into a huge deal and smile while you are doing it.

Support your workers more

Fast paced, great customers, excellent computer system

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Easy, high tech integrated computer system linking all stores
    Profit Sharing
    Healthcare benefits

Cons

Capped pay
    Corporate cuts hours
    Corporate controlled A/C
    Only closed on Thanksgiving, and Christmas day

Take better care of employees. You ask so much with little incentive given to anyone but management. Give thermostat control back to the pharmacies. Give longer break to employees. Frequently have corporate employees visit pharmacies so they realize how impossible some of their expectations are in the field.

Sales Clerk

Former Employee - SALES CLERK  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, working with diverse staff and customers, management very understanding and flexible. Great for part-time while going to school at the same time.

Cons

The store can usually get very very busy so you have to be able to work under pressure. Pay is very low.

pharmacy technician, assist pharmacy and customers

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

work schedule flexibility; good hours, nice co-workers, good location and were willing to employee me even though I had no previous experience

Cons

customers, many prescriptions coming in daily, I would like to learn more at a faster pace but they are reluctant to recognize my desire and willingness to become more knowledgible so I can move up to a lead pharmacy technician faster

be more open minded

Who you have as your Store Manager is the difference between night and day.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Depending on the Store Manager, the wise ones complement for a job well done and recognize their people's abilities and builds on those abilities and interests. Some of the people employed in this company are fabulous people.

Cons

They can own your soul for 24/7. It is impossible to get involved in college/university courses for self-improvement, charity work, or anything that has a set meeting time because the manager schedules you split shift around the clock. You must agree to be available for all hours the store is open. Also, it is dangerous to have no backup for an employee who is absent due to sickness and you are the "only" person present in the store from 11 pm until 7 am in an area of town that is not safe. The salary is poor for the expectations placed upon you. It was not uncommon to put in 60 hours/week which translates into 12 to 13 dollars an hour. Even after putting in that much time, the unwise manager and district manager only criticized.

Store management should not interrupt employee's work to get answers to something they could easily get at an appointed time during the day. Hours scheduled for work day should not deviate so much so that folks can get involved in some personal life endeavors. Employees should work at stores within close proximity to home. Company should show appreciation to employees. Performance reviews are too subjective. One particular store manager never rated anyone "exceeds expectations" because this manager believed that everyone should be rated "meets expectations" or worse. Yet, this store manager had ratings of "exceeds" by the D.M. How can this happen without "good people"?

walgreens review

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA)  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA) in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good benefits, , community service , ,store managers are usually understanding

Cons

you get paid as if you work 44 hours a week but you work much more

all the new programs are a waste of time

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!