Walgreens Reviews

3,717 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,968 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 233 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

My boss was a exception person.

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Spokane, WA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great caring and understanding boss.

Cons

Did not care for the rotating Shift, but understand the reason for it,

Do more in store training and let Carrington College find some other source to fill there work experience, I started at the bottom over 23 years ago and worked my way up by working different jobs and industry's. And then upon moving to Washington felt like I was at the bottom of the ladder again, because of the college students doing what pharmacy is all about; not just working on a cash resister every day.

Its turning into Walmart

Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about everything that goes on in the company.

Cons

Hours keep getting cut, and you are forced to do even more with virtually no resources. People are actively discouraged from taking sick days and vacation time because there are not enough hours to cover anybody's vacancy. If you are sick, no one can cover your shift because everyone is already working the max amount of hours allotted.

Loosen your belt. Stop treating your managers a dollar sign, and treat them as people. The customers are not the ONLY people who have rights.

"Good experience but a pain in the butt"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience to get a taste of retail
    Plenty of hours

Cons

Bosses play favoritism
    Limited room for growth
    Co workers are immature and young

Screen employees better
    Watch the supervisors

Company has lost its soul

Former Employee - Copywriter in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance; nice variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Layers upon layers of paper-pushing managers; no direction at the company (except for the international merger); endless rounds of restructuring that never improve the environment; very low employee morale. Benefits get worse every year.

Find a direction that inspires; stop treating employees as irritations.

Consistently Changing Expectations

Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good stability, above average salary, ok work/life balance for retail environment, advancement opportunity for those willing to work and be professional, and total compensation package is still above average with profit sharing. In regards to pharmacy, is an industry leader with a proven track record. Overseas expansion & opportunities could easily be in the near future as well with recent mergers.

Cons

Consistently changing goals and expectations. Many time assigned goals are a bit unrealistic and out of managements control, yet performance ratings and bonuses are attached to them. Too much supervision between CL Walks, DM Walks, RXS Walks, LP Walk, OPT visits, Conference Calls, District Lead emails, Meetings, etc. Estimated 12-18 days per month that key personnel are not driving results in their store & completing key executional tasks due to driving corporate and district initiatives. Customer service is very difficult and stressful and suffers due to the micromanagement of these goals. In addition, company is in Phase 1 of a proposed $1 Billion expense cuts. History would typically illustrate that Phase 2 is more operational budget cuts in the store or major changes (hours or salary/bonuses).

Don't change goals every quarter, give managers time to get to goal before changing the parameters every 3 months. After 2 years of consistently doing this, much of your workforce is now tuning these goals out and letting it effect their morale. Listen less to Wall Street & more to your employees. Long term employees will create long term sustained successes, short term employees will lead to an inability to move the needle when needed, especially when every quarter corporate cries "Wolf" with needing Free Cash Flow, higher GP%, 1 more suggestive sell in every store every day, lower store expenses, etc.

Room to move up if you want it.

Current Employee - Shift Floor Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Shift Floor Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost all store managers started as a cashier. If you go to your manager explain you want to move up and work towards it, odds are you'll get it within a year or two.

Cons

The new upper management is forcing stores to do things that most customers find annoying.

At the store level you're pretty much screwed, stuck catering to a new board that has no idea what actually happens in the stores.

It used to be a very good place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pahrump, NV

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers & clean stores

Cons

Drama, wage freezes, benefits cut and health insurance premiums are almost becoming unaffordable. Very low employee moral at my location. It's almost like they are trying to push workers over 40 out the door and replace them with 17 and 18 year olds that live with mommy and daddy and don't have bills to pay. The only problem is, this same generation often does not hesitate to call in sick at the last minute or feel like they are entitled to things the rest of us have worked very hard to achieve.

Clean up your management crew in Pahrump NV. Your high turn over should be your first red flag. Next their will be EEOC complaints and the talk of unions, and I hate unions...but I have overheard even the Rx manager saying he would do cartwheels if they went union. Not a friendly environment to employees that are doing all they can to create repeat customers and the company won't always give them the tools to do so. We just had another new pharmacist quit, he said it was too crazy for him, I wonder how many scripts we will lose as we bought out his pharmacy.

Large Corporation with good benefits

Current Employee - Accountant in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Accountant in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities and appears bosses are willing to help those that they supervise

Cons

Very Siloed between Departments - IT Help is non-existant - roll out software & new systems but no support.

Build a better communication process - listen to your employees concerns

Good, the company has changed though.

Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Tech in Leawood, KS
    Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Tech in Leawood, KS

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with.
    I love the people I serve.
    Flexible hours
    Love Profit Sharing
    Love Stock

Cons

Capping Raises
    Get better managers
    Better Insurance.
    Not as employee motivated as they used to be

Un-cap raises.
    Focus on employee satisfaction

Paid the bills.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Janesville, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Janesville, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is decent, lots to learn.

Cons

Can be hard to get promoted, time off is difficult depending on manager and time of year.