Walgreens Reviews

3,696 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,959 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 227 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

a good starter job for pharmacy

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Newark, DE

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great discount, can take off days even if you don't have PTO time (but that will hurt the paycheck for that week!)

Cons

rediciulous demands with your schedule and you have to actually accrue the PTO time before taking a day off, rather than with most companies allowing you to go negative---so basically everyone will take vacation starting in june...so have fun trying to get a week off from June-Dec!

learn to hire one or two people than needed for when people may call out, get fired, or simply stop showing up to work.....learn to be proactive, and not stretch the quality staff that you already have!!!

Consistently Changing Expectations

Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good stability, above average salary, ok work/life balance for retail environment, advancement opportunity for those willing to work and be professional, and total compensation package is still above average with profit sharing. In regards to pharmacy, is an industry leader with a proven track record. Overseas expansion & opportunities could easily be in the near future as well with recent mergers.

Cons

Consistently changing goals and expectations. Many time assigned goals are a bit unrealistic and out of managements control, yet performance ratings and bonuses are attached to them. Too much supervision between CL Walks, DM Walks, RXS Walks, LP Walk, OPT visits, Conference Calls, District Lead emails, Meetings, etc. Estimated 12-18 days per month that key personnel are not driving results in their store & completing key executional tasks due to driving corporate and district initiatives. Customer service is very difficult and stressful and suffers due to the micromanagement of these goals. In addition, company is in Phase 1 of a proposed $1 Billion expense cuts. History would typically illustrate that Phase 2 is more operational budget cuts in the store or major changes (hours or salary/bonuses).

Don't change goals every quarter, give managers time to get to goal before changing the parameters every 3 months. After 2 years of consistently doing this, much of your workforce is now tuning these goals out and letting it effect their morale. Listen less to Wall Street & more to your employees. Long term employees will create long term sustained successes, short term employees will lead to an inability to move the needle when needed, especially when every quarter corporate cries "Wolf" with needing Free Cash Flow, higher GP%, 1 more suggestive sell in every store every day, lower store expenses, etc.

"Good experience but a pain in the butt"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience to get a taste of retail
    Plenty of hours

Cons

Bosses play favoritism
    Limited room for growth
    Co workers are immature and young

Screen employees better
    Watch the supervisors

So far so good!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management! The employees take pride in their work.

Cons

The base pay is low. There is plenty room for advancement though.

They are overall a great company.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Extra cash, great benefits, willing to pay for business expenses.

Cons

Pay rates suck , raises suck as well

Photo Tech

Current Employee - Certified Photo Technician in Concord, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Photo Technician in Concord, NC

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

everyone was nice, simple job, customers appreciate everything!, good way to get into retail plus you kind of get chances to advance.

Cons

favoritism, some pharmacy people think they are better then everyone else (some), only two work shirts, favoritism leads to how many hours you get every week

get along with the manager that does schedule in order to get good hours

Company has experienced a lot of change recently.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The majority of the people I worked with were very friendly. Walgreens also provided flexible hours so an employee can work and take classes.

Cons

The major challenge working here was corporate cutting costs. As a former MGT, who did not want to advance to store manager, this cost cutting led to me being laid off. Cost cutting impacted the morale of all of the employees and made a simple job very difficult to accomplish. Especially those in management who had to juggle both the front end and pharmacy while trying to accomplish their work list.

My advice to management is simple: remember your store employees are the reason why many customers choose to return to Walgreens. If you are not treating them right and providing fair wages then they will not treat your customers right.

Room to move up if you want it.

Current Employee - Shift Floor Lead in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Shift Floor Lead in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Almost all store managers started as a cashier. If you go to your manager explain you want to move up and work towards it, odds are you'll get it within a year or two.

Cons

The new upper management is forcing stores to do things that most customers find annoying.

At the store level you're pretty much screwed, stuck catering to a new board that has no idea what actually happens in the stores.

Unless you are looking to make it your career, Walgreens is only for young people to get job experience.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Villa Rica, GA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Villa Rica, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with Walgreens for 2 years and the best part of my experience has been the people. Maybe that is just a regional thing, but I love the people I work with. Some good things are the opportunity for upward mobility. Although the process is slow, you have the chance if you work for it. I started in front, moved to Cosmetics, work in Photo often, and I am now registered to train in the pharmacy. Another plus is scheduling flexibility since I am a college student. Also, the benefits are nice.

Cons

The company recently merged with British company Alliance Boots which brought about a lot of changes. In an effort to keep the profits on track toward their goal of $130 BILLION by 2016, 76 stores were closed across the country. Hundreds of people were DISPLACED, DEMOTED, or LEFT the company. They changed the structure if their management, so some people who used to be considered managers were CUT their titles and nearly 30% of their pay. Although I am happy to have gained experience in every department, my PAY HAS STAYED THE SAME. They will diversify their employees so they can get more done without affecting payroll. RAISES are MINUSCULE and not based on a sliding scale of performance. There have so many CHANGES in the company over the past 2 years that employees can't keep up, let alone the customers.

Bring the goals and expectations down to a realistic level. Take care of your workers because they take care of you. Listen when people have input on new policies and procedures.

Good

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good hours decent pay overall

Cons

Bad customer bad attitude and not friendly