Walgreens Reviews

3,642 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,933 Ratings

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a nice added bonus, however it isn't like it used to be (in 226 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 141 reviews)

More Highlights

It wasn't too bad...at first.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Walgreens (more than an year)

Certain coworkers
    "Employee discount"
    Nothing else
    Nothing else

Cons

Everything else.

It's a good job if you have no experience an would like to gain some or of you're in college. That's it. My advice: get your experience and get out while you can. This company is going downhill fast. Corporate changes rules almost every week, making it near impossible to keep up with things. You're hired as a part-time employee with the promise that you'll go full-time, but you never do.

If you have to make changes, make them feasible for someone in retail; many of the tasks and rules sound "good" on paper but cannot be applied to real life scenarios. Your employees are not robots and customers are numbers; stop treating them as such.

Not the same company I started for.

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Walgreens still offers excellent benefits. I've been with them over twelve years.

Cons

The company has changed for the worse in the last decade. Hours cut, benefits cut, wages capped, less leadership, less time to care for patients. When there was still a Walgreen's family member board, it seemed the company was customer service focused and took care of their employees. Now it's all about the numbers.

Put more hours for employees back in the stores. The way to get and keep customers is by great customer service which you can't give if you are in a constant rush from lack of help. It also brings down the morale of employees and store leadership when there is not enough help in the stores.

Great company, but every store is different though

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Northport, AL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Northport, AL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

company values, time-off policies, corporate response time,conflict resolution, ability to transfer

Cons

promotions, some managers not well trained in communication,

Get training on how to deal with a diverse community

It's a great learning experience!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everyone was friendly, I didn't feel like I was being looked down at from higher management, everyone was an equal. Management was not afraid to step onto the floor to help an employee or a customer when needed. Definitely a great working environment!

Cons

Nothing that I've noted to deter my opinions about the company.

Keep up with the employee/customer relation, it gives those who are looking to management for advice a lot more ease when addressing issues within the store.

organized

Current Employee - Trainee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Trainee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Walgreens as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

great culture , mentors, and a great environmental initiatives

Cons

sometimes I would get frustrated with managment

optimization

It was a great experience working with customer service!

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good experience working with customers.

Cons

Long hours leads to repetitiveness.

Great place to work

Current Employee - SFL in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - SFL in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere
    huge discount
    flexible hours
    easy to get promotions(only if u do an awesome job)
    parallel transfers are very easy too

Cons

salary hike is minimal
    need to have more budget so that we have more help keeping shelves full

Increase the budget means more floor help, shelf remains full, customer satisfaction, more customers coming to stores, avoid annoyed customers. Majority of customer complaints are regarding shelf being empty and not finding the product they came for. need to concentrate on that.

Its turning into Walmart

Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about everything that goes on in the company.

Cons

Hours keep getting cut, and you are forced to do even more with virtually no resources. People are actively discouraged from taking sick days and vacation time because there are not enough hours to cover anybody's vacancy. If you are sick, no one can cover your shift because everyone is already working the max amount of hours allotted.

Loosen your belt. Stop treating your managers a dollar sign, and treat them as people. The customers are not the ONLY people who have rights.

Very fullfilling

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay for salaried management. Above industry averages. Great benefits with company contributions. Profit Sharing is wonderful and beneficial with company distributions. Regular benefits (medical, dental, ect.) is good. Lots of opportunity to learn, grow, lead, develop. As an assistant store manager, there is much opportunity to analyze current store and competitors. Lots of room for personal contribution in relation to growing the store based on personal ideas and innovations.

Cons

As an executive assistant store manager there can be many cons to the job including long hours at times with most of them being on your feet. Leading an entire store of personnel can be challenging at times. The company has recently merged with Alliance Boots and with many changes in the past couple years, there are many more changes to come, which can be very stressful and a bit much at times. The company is constantly re-evaluating and cutting budgets, which can be very difficult on team members. Especially on the assistant store manager, because of being salaried, you have to pick up the slack where no one else can.

Stop cutting hours & give money to stores ($100/year) for employee engagement events. Re-evaluate being open the entire day on christmas and thanksgiving and think more of your employees than business decisions on major holidays.

Able to advance

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

I started with the company as a PT cashier and have been able to work all the way up to an ASM. I've had a strong support system with most of my store managers and mentors.

Cons

New restructures have limited the opportunities for new hires and even employees that have been with the company for various durations.