Walgreens Reviews

3,727 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,973 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 233 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Elite?

Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Port Charlotte, FL
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Port Charlotte, FL

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Minimal room for advance, if you really want you can start as a cashier and move your way into the pharmacy itself. Easy to transfer stores if need be.

Cons

Un-Realistic work ideals. Don't let Management use you to do their job, I was just a photo tech answering management type calls and duties then was asked why i wasn't getting my job done. NO training time, they expect you to learn everything on your own. Then they don't allocate time for you to do web based training and learn new procedures but they expect you to get it done when they don't give you a break from your normal job duties. I don't like the fact that we're supposed to help people live healthy life styles but our suggestive sales are always candy and products that are bad for peoples health.

Listen to Employees concerns instead of disregarding them. Server problems could of been fixed if they just listened to reason and changed some of the daily tasks.

Its turning into Walmart

Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Delavan Lake, WI

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to learn a lot about everything that goes on in the company.

Cons

Hours keep getting cut, and you are forced to do even more with virtually no resources. People are actively discouraged from taking sick days and vacation time because there are not enough hours to cover anybody's vacancy. If you are sick, no one can cover your shift because everyone is already working the max amount of hours allotted.

Loosen your belt. Stop treating your managers a dollar sign, and treat them as people. The customers are not the ONLY people who have rights.

"Good experience but a pain in the butt"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in New York, NY

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience to get a taste of retail
    Plenty of hours

Cons

Bosses play favoritism
    Limited room for growth
    Co workers are immature and young

Screen employees better
    Watch the supervisors

Used to be good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, paid vacation, sick days, 401k, employee discounts, flexible hours/days, somewhat able to transfer from store to store.

Cons

This used to be a great company to work for. However, in light of recent company restructuring, hours are cut constantly, and positions are continuously being revamped. Employees are expected to be robots with forced greetings. You are always being pushed to sell something and expected to meet certain sales quotas.

I used to love coming to work, thanks for "messing" it up!

Company has lost its soul

Former Employee - Copywriter in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Copywriter in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance; nice variety of projects to work on.

Cons

Layers upon layers of paper-pushing managers; no direction at the company (except for the international merger); endless rounds of restructuring that never improve the environment; very low employee morale. Benefits get worse every year.

Find a direction that inspires; stop treating employees as irritations.

Consistently Changing Expectations

Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Community Leader in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good stability, above average salary, ok work/life balance for retail environment, advancement opportunity for those willing to work and be professional, and total compensation package is still above average with profit sharing. In regards to pharmacy, is an industry leader with a proven track record. Overseas expansion & opportunities could easily be in the near future as well with recent mergers.

Cons

Consistently changing goals and expectations. Many time assigned goals are a bit unrealistic and out of managements control, yet performance ratings and bonuses are attached to them. Too much supervision between CL Walks, DM Walks, RXS Walks, LP Walk, OPT visits, Conference Calls, District Lead emails, Meetings, etc. Estimated 12-18 days per month that key personnel are not driving results in their store & completing key executional tasks due to driving corporate and district initiatives. Customer service is very difficult and stressful and suffers due to the micromanagement of these goals. In addition, company is in Phase 1 of a proposed $1 Billion expense cuts. History would typically illustrate that Phase 2 is more operational budget cuts in the store or major changes (hours or salary/bonuses).

Don't change goals every quarter, give managers time to get to goal before changing the parameters every 3 months. After 2 years of consistently doing this, much of your workforce is now tuning these goals out and letting it effect their morale. Listen less to Wall Street & more to your employees. Long term employees will create long term sustained successes, short term employees will lead to an inability to move the needle when needed, especially when every quarter corporate cries "Wolf" with needing Free Cash Flow, higher GP%, 1 more suggestive sell in every store every day, lower store expenses, etc.

It used to be a very good place to work

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pahrump, NV
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pahrump, NV

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers & clean stores

Cons

Drama, wage freezes, benefits cut and health insurance premiums are almost becoming unaffordable. Very low employee moral at my location. It's almost like they are trying to push workers over 40 out the door and replace them with 17 and 18 year olds that live with mommy and daddy and don't have bills to pay. The only problem is, this same generation often does not hesitate to call in sick at the last minute or feel like they are entitled to things the rest of us have worked very hard to achieve.

Clean up your management crew in Pahrump NV. Your high turn over should be your first red flag. Next their will be EEOC complaints and the talk of unions, and I hate unions...but I have overheard even the Rx manager saying he would do cartwheels if they went union. Not a friendly environment to employees that are doing all they can to create repeat customers and the company won't always give them the tools to do so. We just had another new pharmacist quit, he said it was too crazy for him, I wonder how many scripts we will lose as we bought out his pharmacy.

The world of Wal-GREED

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It beats manual labor or being a prostitute I guess. But you make better money as a prostitute

Cons

I work in the pharmacy and the customers all treat you like garbage. If you're ok with being degraded all day then I guess this is a good choice for you.... currently seeking a career change.

Hire some managers that aren't complete and total dipshits and that aren't just corporate puppets. I'm sure that's too much to ask.

Not a career.

Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Team Lead in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Friendly people. As a shift lead you learn alot about the management side of retail. Experience is always a plus. Great benefits

Cons

The scheduling, now it may have just been my store but the schedule week to week was terrible. No order at all.
    Pay for shift lead is terrible. Come on Walgreens, shift leaders are running the store 75% of the time.

Up the salary. Dedicate a rotating schedule.

Great pharmacists and managers

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pharmacists are knowledgeable and make you feel comfortable. You really feel like you are a team. The pharmacy manager at my store is the best; she makes employees feel like they matter and tells them when they do well. The company as a whole is a solid brand; Walgreens knows the image they want to present to the patient and they do it well.

Cons

Not the best pay, BUT you do get annual review and opportunities for increases.