Walgreens

3,942 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,065 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent company for the most part

Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Walgreens is a National company and has very easy to understand policies and procedures. It is also very easy to transfer if a move to a new location is necessary.

Cons

Upper management does not always seem to understand what it is like to work at the store level.

Upper management need to spend some actual time in the stores and equip the employees with the time and equipment needed to do the job as expected.

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Waste of a decade.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay, no employee loyalty, not what it used to be.

Not a great long term career

I applied for the job to work in the pharmacy my freshman year of college and was hired as a photo technician initially.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VERY VERY flexible with hours, I averaged less than 5 hours a week during college.
    Leadership is pretty good at each retail store.
    Provided all my training for PTCB certification and paid for both the PTCB certification and State Registration.

Cons

Short handed often and some of the goals are unreasonable. All that matters in the pharmacy is numbers and not safety.

Provide more hours for pharmacy. Errors kill people.

Walgreens: Some people are lazy, others aren't.

Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

If you aren't a sour grap, you will get to know your co-workers and it will be a breeze. You learn how the retail industry works, and the importance of deadlines and preparation (especially if you work the graveyard shift like I did)
    Really easy job

Cons

You quickly learn who the "lazy" workers are... the people who just do the bare minimum. It's funny how it's those people who complain the most too. There is gossip everywhere in the stores. (Wasn't a problem for me, bc I just made people laugh) Some assistant managers or 'shift leaders' will push the blame onto others when the store manager gets on their backs for not completing a task. "Why wasn't aisle 6 re-faced? -- oh (this person) was feeling ill so I had to cover the front a lot" [ [what? I said I was feeling kinda ill, but good enough to do my job... you never covered the front =| ]] (now I know why I never got the outstanding employee review raise even though I started remembering regular customer's names) (My reviews always said "Needs improvement on customer skills.... retarded)

Teach management to not shift blame on others.
    Budget your finances....
    Don't stack the supply storeroom to the roof,.... yea I was young so I could climb up and reach it... but if I was old... someone could get seriously hurt

Cashier

Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier
    Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Low stress, friendly atmosphere, well structured and straightforward work and review. Promotions had occurred in store but employees worked long spans for them.

Cons

Tedious and humdrum at times, rude and sick customers can often make your shift unpleasant.

Very structured, no advice necessary

Lots of Potential; Limited Growth

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, limited pre-reqs to qualify for management, benefits include healthcare, employee discount, vacation pay.

Cons

Limited room for growth, stagnant industry practices, lack of employee morale.

Really own customer service. Make it a priority for your brand like you did decades ago. Nothing separates Walgreens from CVS or any other small retailer anymore. Employees don't take pride in working for the company; it does not feel good as a customer to be ignored/treated poorly.

Do a lot with a lot less. Not a career track, unless you work pharmacy.

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours are negotiable. If you are looking for a few hours a week, that can be done.

Managers can be really friendly, and helpful. Lots of practical training.

Cons

You will be asked to do a lot, especially if you work photo or cosmetics. You will need to do a lot with old technology and breaking equipment.

Often, demands are made of you that are unattainable.

While it is difficult to fill enough positions, the managers need to be aware that there is only so much an employee can do.

Continuous Change

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

A lot of real good long term employees

Cons

Things change too much and change very often

Love working at Walgreens!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great people. My managers have always been caring, supportive and fun to work with.

Cons

There's a lot of change as we morph into a global organization, but that is exciting too.