Walgreens Reviews

3,485 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,859 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

walgreens

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Walgreens for less than a year

Pros

good benefits, good co-workers, they hire friendly people, great place for social people.

Cons

low pay, sporadic schedule. work happiness depends on who your management is,

decrease the importance of suggustive selling and make it a more employee first company

Good Job

Former Employee - Store Team Lead  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Team Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great hours, Easy physical work, benefits ok/better than not being offered any. Lots of opportunities to transfer to pretty much any major city in the US.

Cons

Pay is low, company restructure now makes it difficult to advance within the company. Store managers are spending more and more time away from the sales floor, many have little idea what is even going on within their own store

Really it is corporate that is destroying this company. Also holiday hours take away from family life. I don't see what was wrong with being open on the holidays until 6pm but staying open until 10 is unnecessary and takes away from the family time for your employees that your company promotes.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Augusta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Augusta, GA

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Growing globally, could possibly be a contender to improve the healthcare industry. Gives you insight on how to manage similar to a health care setting. Requires you to be a certified pharmacy tech so that you can fully understand and manage the business.

Cons

Company has been going through structural changes for about 3 years. Often asked not to give information to employees about changing job titles and compensation. Definition of quality work varies from district to district, which causes disengagement of store managers. Company had too many objectives to focus on at one time that it created a lot of confusion for store managers about where to focus attention to grow sales. Working towards efficiency could be difficult at times because of the disconnect between corporate and stores.

Hold everyone to the same standard. Different standards per region, per district, per store create disengaged managers. Deliver consistent, clearly defined goals. Re-defining the store structure and paying less, or changing the name of an assistant manager and calling them a shift lead is very discouraging for the people that work for the company no matter how "positively" we role out the changes of the company. Not knowing if the security of your position would be there brings on a lot of disengagement. You can have a performance based culture, make profits, and have a good work environment with out the demise of the employee morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Business Management  in  El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Business Management in El Paso, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay is equal and all positions are promoted within when posdible,.

Cons

Retail is very demanding. Can leave family time very short!

Highly appreciated at work

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Muncie, IN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Muncie, IN

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with are nice and understanding. There are opportunities to learn new skills, advance your position in the company, and be rewarded for trying new things.

Cons

As a customer service associate, it often seems like my work goes unnoticed. Managers make an effort to provide praise, but it is often unseen. Also, higher managers are often condescending.

Training people to do things on their own will ultimately improve the store, as opposed to doing it for us. Managers often don't take the time to teach, but end up doing the task wrong and we have to learn to do it anyway.

Good job

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Madison, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you really Learn a lot

Cons

it can be a Difficult job at times

nothing

Ask

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great place to workwork at

Cons

Non realyythererealyythere its a did place

Employee satisfaction has definitely gone downhill

Current Employee - Multiple Positions  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Multiple Positions in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Some locations work around your schedule. There is opportunity to advance quickly. Training is easy.

Cons

Your happiness depends on the location you work at. Some managers are not professional at all. Some may be on a power trip. Walgreens used to lead the industry (my opinion) in pay and benefits. These have all been cut back to line Wasson's pockets. Since there are no Walgreen's family members at the top now, employees have had perk after perk taken away causing unhappiness in the ranks and high turnover in new hires. If you were hired over 4 years ago, you have top pay. New hires get the bare minimum. So, a new store manager could in essence make less than his assistant manager, until all those hired at that time get phased out.

I know the restructuring of positions and pay was meant to weed out employees who were getting raise after raise with no aspirations to advance. But, some employees didn't advance due to market saturation of "talent" or people who know what they are doing. Also, people who were waiting until their kids were old enough or they finished school. Now, there is nothing left for them here. You are soon to lose the best employees you will ever have. Now, going through the ratings, I want to add that I feel our culture and values went out the door with the last powerful Walgreen.

Retail Store and Pharmacy Experience

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, profit-sharing, time-off policies.

Cons

Employees not adequately compensated. Employees continually asked to do more with less and exceed customer expectations which is basically an no -win situation corporate has set.

Wonderful company

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Positive work environment, flexible schedule, ability to advance, slightly above average pay. There are many opportunities to grow within the company.

Cons

Working hours constantly get reduced. No store is a like, so if you are transferring you may be going from an amazing store to a terrible store.

All stores should be relatively the same. Stores are either amazing or terrible.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!