Walgreens

3,946 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,065 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company but many questionable choices

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Weldon Spring, MO
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Weldon Spring, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best reasons to work for Walgreens is easily the work environment and the beliefs behind the company. Walgreens asks employees to complete surveys every year to see what is really going on in their stores and what should be improved.

Cons

Some of the choices in management are very questionable. Three of my five assistant managers did not have the needed skills for their jobs and were forced to learn the skills and the requirements through a program but that work could only be completed on the clock, when employees need them. Employees stop caring after a while and stop trying so those of us that still do care have to pick up all the slack and then we get burned out.

Be more picky in who you hire, listen to what your employees have to say. We are the ones working in the stores, not you. Come up with a better uniform, I am so sick of constantly being asked if I work there because our uniform doesn't really look much like one.

Waste of a decade.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay, no employee loyalty, not what it used to be.

Not a great long term career

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Management ruins a good job

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were flexible, but that depends on the manager. I made some great friends and I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers. Interacting with customers could lead to great conversations, but be aware that some customers will take out a bad day on you. I received good training, and it didn't take long to get comfortable there.

Cons

You are paid a low wage, and after working there for a year you only receive a $0.20/hr raise. My store manager withheld my raise from me for four months. Managers played favorites when it came to assigning tasks and giving promotions. When customers were exceptionally rude to employees, management would break company policy to appease them, making the employees look bad for trying to uphold company policy. Management rarely came to the aid of a cashier who needed their assistance, and when they did they took a very long time. This caused the line to back up, customers to get exceedingly angry, and sometimes customers would simply leave. Some managers obsessively micromanaged employees. Each manager is responsible for a different department, but only some managers held their departments accountable for cleanliness and expirations. They would pull me out of my department to fix another department, and then scold me for not having finished the tasks in my department. Management gave more hours to people that they favored. They cut hours in half without any notice, and never gave any indication of when they would give more hours. Sometimes I would go a few months with only 20 hours or less when I had previously been working 35-40 hours. Because of this I was never given any benefits.

Stop favoring certain employees over others. Too many managers let their personal feelings get in the way of proper management. Managers need to be more engaged, rather than making employees feel bad when they finally answer a call for help. It seemed that they did not want to help their employees. They deliberately ignored calls for help. They need to take responsibility for their own tasks, rather than handing them off to employees who already have tasks to complete in their own department. Personal dislike of employees should not affect when an employee gets their raise.

I applied for the job to work in the pharmacy my freshman year of college and was hired as a photo technician initially.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VERY VERY flexible with hours, I averaged less than 5 hours a week during college.
    Leadership is pretty good at each retail store.
    Provided all my training for PTCB certification and paid for both the PTCB certification and State Registration.

Cons

Short handed often and some of the goals are unreasonable. All that matters in the pharmacy is numbers and not safety.

Provide more hours for pharmacy. Errors kill people.

America's Pharmacy Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Kansas City, KS
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Kansas City, KS

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, benefits all at the top of the pharmacist job market. Cutting edge retail practice environment with MTM, vaccinations, and workflow. The new Well-Experience stores are the near-future of retail pharmacy.

Cons

Suits and bean counters are trying to override medical practice and enforce their micromanagement upon individual pharmacies with negative effect - overworked, overstressed pharmacists make more mistakes at busy stores, and have their attention pulled too thin by corporate initiatives to basically do phone solicitation. There's no excuse for treating a Doctor of Pharmacy like a marketing call center associate. A culture of fear of making mistakes and losing one's job exists, rather than a culture of working hard to earn rewards. Managers are overworked, and higher turnover than staff pharmacists.

Management should never make any pharmacy or medical decision without first working 1 full day in an actual pharmacy... in the inner city... in a busy 24-hour store.
    Stop selling cigarettes. CVS totally beat you on this point, and will continue to outperform you into the future if you don't find other ways to compete and differentiate from CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Walgreens: Some people are lazy, others aren't.

Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

If you aren't a sour grap, you will get to know your co-workers and it will be a breeze. You learn how the retail industry works, and the importance of deadlines and preparation (especially if you work the graveyard shift like I did)
    Really easy job

Cons

You quickly learn who the "lazy" workers are... the people who just do the bare minimum. It's funny how it's those people who complain the most too. There is gossip everywhere in the stores. (Wasn't a problem for me, bc I just made people laugh) Some assistant managers or 'shift leaders' will push the blame onto others when the store manager gets on their backs for not completing a task. "Why wasn't aisle 6 re-faced? -- oh (this person) was feeling ill so I had to cover the front a lot" [ [what? I said I was feeling kinda ill, but good enough to do my job... you never covered the front =| ]] (now I know why I never got the outstanding employee review raise even though I started remembering regular customer's names) (My reviews always said "Needs improvement on customer skills.... retarded)

Teach management to not shift blame on others.
    Budget your finances....
    Don't stack the supply storeroom to the roof,.... yea I was young so I could climb up and reach it... but if I was old... someone could get seriously hurt

Love working at Walgreens!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great people. My managers have always been caring, supportive and fun to work with.

Cons

There's a lot of change as we morph into a global organization, but that is exciting too.

Work Life

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Cheap company that gives below average raises.

Think about the consequences before making any deals, contracts or decisions to implement something a certain way. The long-term effects may be less than the current financial benefits.

Continuous Change

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

A lot of real good long term employees

Cons

Things change too much and change very often