Walgreens

4,150 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,145 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

No breaks

Former Employee - Senior CPhT in Salem, OR
    Former Employee - Senior CPhT in Salem, OR

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Some of the managers are nice...

Cons

No breaks, doesn't care about senority, loyalty, or hard workers as everyone is treated equally bad (unless you are a Pharmacist).

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Best coworkers and tons of experience

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Reno, NV

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

While working here I have learned about both pharmacy and front end sales. I get paid more than most lower-level management at other retailers and enjoy benefits and discounts. My favorite part about working here is the upper level management including our CL, DM, and MVP. Overall I have had nothing but good experiences working for the company.

Cons

Retail will always be frustrating because of the attitudes of many customers. The pharmacy part of the business is extremely important and patients can be trying at times, although this is understandable given the nature of the business.

More hours designated for training would be beneficial for cashiers and beauty advisors.

Good for getting started

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Many different departments to choose from
    -Decently flexible hours
    -Managers are usually friendly

Cons

-After 8 years of working there, my pay went up a grand total of $1.50
    -Corporate cuts hours frequently
    -Training is not what is used to be. When I first started, training was amazing. Every department had a district supervisor that would hold meetings, and visit stores, to makes sure all the employees knew what was going on. That was cut, and most training is either through emails, or on paper. When I first went into pharmacy(after 6 years with the company), my complete training was done in front of a computer. I did everything once, and was expected to jump right in, in one of the busiest stores in the district, in the busiest time of the year. I was the only one in pharmacy, who was NOT sent to a quiet store, to get one on one training. Training has definitely decreased.

Train, train train.

Staff Pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Akron, OH

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, amazing district manager in cleveland south district

Cons

Too many metrics to meet (verification by promise time, wait times, vaccination goals, customer surveys)

Give us more technician hours

Work hard for little money

Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Saint Charles, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Saint Charles, MO

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule of attending school

Cons

Stressful environment, sexist promotion policy, work extremely hard for little financial reward and basically no growth potential

Good company going down wrong track

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pay is good , good employees, employees like family members

Cons

no family life, expected to live there and do it all yourself. Headed down the dollar store way pay was good but continues to be taken away and more duties of positions above you being put on you

On The Decline

Former Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Interact, network, and form relationships with people in nearby towns and cities. There is a good potential for growth in the company.

Cons

Within the past year, Walgreens Executives have decided to make several drastic changes within the company. For one, almost all store level job titles were changed so that the powers-that-be were free to legally change the pricing structure of each of these roles. So, now employees who thought they would be entitled to a raise every 6-12 months for as long as they remained with the company, were told that there would now be a wage ceiling and place which would place a limit on the amount of money one could earn in his/her current role within the company. I could go on, but I have to get back to the job search...so uh, 'Be Well' I guess! (For those who don't know, I'm referencing the recently installed manditory, and excessively awkward, salutation that someone within Walgreens thought would be fun for everyone to say...)

Sign up with Glassdoor and start looking for a different job...

The ax is flying at the top...

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Walgreens (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Customer Service training and management skills building for future jobs, especially those new to management. Positive employee relations within stores for the most part. Decent medical/dental/optical insurance. Great way to learn about Retail ins and outs. Some possibilities of advancement within company. Great Rx skills training within Rx.

Cons

Unstable company vision for many years, eg., "Cultural Beliefs" mantra changes every year or so, leaving new and old employees wondering where and who they work for. Poor pay. May be moved to different store 30-60 mins from home, for months or years based on company needs without regard to your "Life Balanace". Promotions of people often leave others scratching their heads or cause good people to leave. Too bad Walgreens doesn't ask "why are you leaving" (exit interviews). Listening is one of the qualities they look for in employees but not in themselves.

Decide on your vision and stick to it. Stop chasing unicorns du jour. Realize the value of your employees and pay them accordingly. Bonuses have a purpose. Registers don't run themselves. Your team affects your fans(customers) and your bottom line.

Scummy place. With scummy managers

Former Employee - Shift Manager in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Shift Manager in New Haven, CT

I worked at Walgreens (less than a year)

Pros

None. Customers suck managment suck and corporate suck

Cons

Everything. Walgreens has no care for it's employees.

Get a life