Walgreens Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Stefano Pessina

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a great benefit (in 238 reviews)

• Employee discount comes in handy (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no Work/Life balance (in 99 reviews)

• The upper management seemed disconnected with team staff in that store-level problems were sometimes ignored by supervisors (in 150 reviews)

5,126 Employee Reviews

I Got Lucky... Sort Of

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people I work with are awesome, which is not always the case in an up-in-the-air industry like retail.
    - A quiet neighborhood means less work and less stress - not necessarily a pro about Walgreens itself as much as it's a piece of advice for where you choose to work.
    - The employee discount applies immediately and is actually pretty good. 15% on everything (except drugs and dairy) and 25% on Walgreens brand products. That's actually REALLY good.

Cons

- It's retail, which means no matter how nice it is, you still have to go through silly faux formalities like greeting every customer like their appearance is the best thing about your day - just be glad we don't have to say "Be Well" anymore. That was a travesty.
    - Depending on your schedule, you'll get picked multiple times in a row to do things like throw out the garbage and clean the bathrooms.
    - If you're male, expect to do more work - it's that simple.
    - There is an extremely heavy emphasis on "facing," or making products look nice on the shelves. It's overrated busywork, since those nice products won't look perfect within an hour of the store opening the next day. While it's important on some level, it's not as important as management makes it seem like.
    - Those yellow and blue tags for sales have to be put up by someone. Expect to stay late on Saturday nights to get as many done as possible. What a huge waste of paper, money, and the possibility of technology (like put digital screens on the shelves for convenient price changes and sales notifications - something, dang).
    - Even if you wear dark jeans, like brown or gray, some management members won't like that... it's almost like they think Walgreens is some kind of high-class shopping environment. Here's a hint: if it takes you the entire day to realize I've been wearing jeans, I don't think a customer who is in the store for ten minutes is going to notice, or care.

Advice to Management

- Cut costs by getting rid of antiquated technology and methods. Like tagging.
    - Remember to have fun.
    - Don't put professionalism above being human. I don't know who thought of the idea of saying "Be Well," but that was a huge mistake. Nobody communicates like that.

OK job but not a career

Former Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great job for young adults wanting to gain retail experience. Great place for just a part time job.

Cons

Pay is not great if your looking for a actually career. Promotions was not based on job performance but on how the store manager felt about you personally. At least that is how it was at the stores I have worked at...

Advice to Management

Promote based of actually job performance.

3. Pharmacy technician

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Very friendly and caring employees, the pharmacist were more knowledgeable then any doctors I've known. I was also able to earn raises easily

Cons

I never saw any downsides to be honest. I'm only not working for them now because I made poor choices. I miss working there a lot.

Advice to Management

Just keep up the good work. Most stores had good managers and reg employees. Maybe monitor the cameras a little more and do at least yearly evaluations of all employees unless that is already done.

5. It was ok

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great atmosphere, Great Workforce, Great place to work while going to college

Cons

Better pay, more hours, better discounts, more incentive pay

Advice to Management

Treat employees better! Treat them with respect!

6. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to move up in the company if you are in a district which is making money, but if you are in a slower district then you have almost no chance of moving up

Cons

It's hard work and you are expected to do long hours and perform at the highest level.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more understanding and better training, more hours for the employees and need better benefits.

7. non-certified tech.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

you get an automatic $1 raise if you choose to become certified. every year you do a performance review. the better you do, the higher the percentage of your raise.

Cons

hours are based on pharmacy sales. part time techs have problems creating a set amount of hours.

8. Coworkers and good people

I have been working at Walgreens part-time

Pros

My coworkers have all been great (I realize that's a by-location type of deal) but it's true. The customers are also pretty nice and the work isn't too hard.

Cons

The pay is too low and and it's definitely a physical job. You're on your feet all day and you beat up your hands.

9. Awesome Staff

Current Employee - Shift Leader in Georgetown, TX
    Current Employee - Shift Leader in Georgetown, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The flexibility and diverse atmosphere

Cons

The Sporadic Influxes if customers

Advice to Management

Keep Doung What You're Doing. All Is Going Smoothly

Shiftlead

Current Employee - Shift Lead
    Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at Walgreens (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, store management, and experience

Cons

Pay, hours, tons of responsibility left to the shiftleads.

Advice to Management

Don't require people who are responsible for a $5million store to live that close to the poverty line. Adjust lead pharmacist and managements pay to better support shiftlead pay.

Good company to work for short-term

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Profit sharing, benefits, co-workers are a small family

Cons

Long hours, not much room for advancement

Showing 5,126 of 5,211 reviews