Walgreens Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Stefano Pessina

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a great benefit (in 238 reviews)

• Employee discount comes in handy (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no Work/Life balance (in 99 reviews)

• The upper management seemed disconnected with team staff in that store-level problems were sometimes ignored by supervisors (in 150 reviews)

5,305 Employee Reviews

I Got Lucky... Sort Of

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The people I work with are awesome, which is not always the case in an up-in-the-air industry like retail. - A quiet neighborhood means less work and less stress - not necessarily a pro about Walgreens itself as much as it's a piece of advice for where you choose to work. - The employee discount applies immediately and is actually pretty good. 15% on everything (except drugs and dairy) and 25% on Walgreens brand products. That's actually REALLY good.

Cons

- It's retail, which means no matter how nice it is, you still have to go through silly faux formalities like greeting every customer like their appearance is the best thing about your day - just be glad we don't have to say "Be Well" anymore. That was a travesty. - Depending on your schedule, you'll get picked multiple times in a row to do things like throw out the garbage and clean the bathrooms. - If you're male, expect to do more work - it's that simple. - There is an extremely heavy emphasis on "facing," or making products look nice on the shelves. It's overrated busywork, since those nice products won't look perfect within an hour of the store opening the next day. While it's important on some level, it's not as important as management makes it seem like. - Those yellow and blue tags for sales have to be put up by someone. Expect to stay late on Saturday nights to get as many done as possible. What a huge waste of paper, money, and the possibility of technology (like put digital screens on the shelves for convenient price changes and sales notifications - something, dang). - Even if you wear dark jeans, like brown or gray, some management members won't like that... it's almost like they think Walgreens is some kind of high-class shopping environment. Here's a hint: if it takes you the entire day to realize I've been wearing jeans, I don't think a customer who is in the store for ten minutes is going to notice, or care.

Advice to Management

- Cut costs by getting rid of antiquated technology and methods. Like tagging. - Remember to have fun. - Don't put professionalism above being human. I don't know who thought of the idea of saying "Be Well," but that was a huge mistake. Nobody communicates like that.

2. Wal.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great benefits, becomes second family/home. If you enjoy giving great customer service this is a great place to share that.

Cons

Getting off late (1am-2am) in an area that really didn't see business after 10:30-11 pm. Working late on holidays.

Advice to Management

Be more social and people friendly if taking the job of store manager. Showing favoritism only brings negative energy into the work place. (Only had this experience with my last store manager, all others (5) were great at their job.

Great Full/Part Time job

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bixby, OK
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Bixby, OK

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Working at Walgreens was very rewarding for me. It is a great part time, full time, or first job for many high school students. As a pharmacy technician you are able to work not only at your home store, but you can pick up shifts at other stores needing help.

Cons

The only con I can think of is your schedule is not always a "set" schedule. Most of the time they will work with you on trying to set a regular schedule but it is never permanent.

Advice to Management

Make sure not only to critique but to compliment your employees. Everybody likes an Atta Boy every now and then

5. Photo Technician

Former Employee - Cashier/Photo Tech in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Photo Tech in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Walgreens part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When working at Walgreens, you get the chance to be exposed to everything that is retail and customer service. If you start out with an optimistic attitude and if you're okay with being on your feet 6-8 hours a shift, then you'll be just fine. You'll enjoy the people you work and may create close friendships since they promote a familial lifestyle. So long as you do your tasks, you'll be having more fun while also working.

Cons

There are moments that working with a team can be frustrating. You may have to help others with their tasks if they are not performing at their best and sometimes management can alter your outlook on the work day.

Advice to Management

Shift leads need to be more conscientious of the things they do. Majority of shift leads are people who have been promoted off the sales floor, so don't let the addition of power inflate your head. You'll lose the connections you've made with your co-workers and its best practice to know where and how you started to help maintain the work flow and relationships.

6. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager (ASM)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager (ASM)

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Busy fast paced work place.

Cons

There are currently no cons.

7. Shift Lead

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Walgreens (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the sincere appreciation I receive from not only my boss, but also the people I work with. A heartfelt “thanks” goes a long way to improving my attitude and productivity. I believe don’t think I’d enjoy my job as much if I didn’t get to dig into interesting problems that others don’t really know how to solve.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for me to use my initiatives. I regard this as one of my strengths and found it frustrating that I was unable to get past the bureaucracy of such a big company to implement any improvements.

Advice to Management

NA

8. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Houston, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Treated with respect from my supervisors.

Cons

Frequent changes in supervisors and management makes it hard to keep up with how to do your job. Management styles change frequently making it hard to stay in routine.

Advice to Management

Don't change management frequently. Too much changing makes knowing what the routine more stressful than necessary.

9. Good job, but it's still retail and retail blows.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

healthcare vacation time full time hours higher than minimum wage pay free cosmetics (in beauty department) chill work environment (unless you work in photo)

Cons

the way your day goes depends on who's working it's retail so you're working with the public random drug testing if you work in photo you're going to be doing literally EVERYTHING healthcare benefits are pricey

10. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens (More than a year)

Pros

Fast-paced, exciting career field, with a good entry into several areas.

Cons

Say goodbye to your holidays - though they're very upfront about it, know that your holidays belong to work.

11. Great company, but low pay.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great company to work for, but not to make a career out of. I have a set schedule & work all morning shifts.

Cons

Low pay. Pay could be a little bit better

Showing 5,305 of 5,414 reviews