Walgreens Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Stefano Pessina

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a great benefit (in 238 reviews)

• Employee discount comes in handy (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no Work/Life balance (in 99 reviews)

• The upper management seemed disconnected with team staff in that store-level problems were sometimes ignored by supervisors (in 150 reviews)

5,611 Employee Reviews

Great Employer

Current Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Buyer in Chicago, IL

Pros

The profit sharing is awesome, with a really great match. Comparable benefits package to any top company. Good management, good advancement oppurtunities. Also, - Great location - Smart management - Professional atmosphere - Company with no debt on the balance sheet - Record yearly profits for over 30 years and running - Is in an industry that just grows more and more - No history of lay-offs - The profit sharing is amazing, with a very nice match.

Cons

Vacation time is relatively short until you have a couple years under your belt. Takes awhile for the profit sharing to kick in.

Advice to Management

Utilize the massive amount of stores to offer more convient services, such as those already offered. Have a more competive benefits package as far as vacation time, medical, etc.

2. No frills, but no big problems either

Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Plymouth, MN

Pros

Walgreens has amazing technology and it makes your job easy. Walgreens pays their pharmacists very well, and all pharmacists get paid the same regardless of experience, based only on position. Benefits accrue based solely on hours worked and years with the company. They are under a lot of scrutiny as a large company, so they try to make everything as fair as possible. Scheduling is very flexible, and the work is flexible in that you can transfer stores if you want to move.

Cons

The atmosphere is fluorescent lighting and tacky floor displays. It's not the kind of place where you would choose to spend time unless you were getting paid.

Advice to Management

Pay the technicians more. They work very hard and they would be nicer to patients if they felt more valued.

3. I enjoy working at Walgreens

Current Employee - Pharmacy in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in Brooklyn, NY

Pros

Very good system to minimize medication errors. The people that I work with are very helpful and respectful. I have never had a problem with anyone. If problems do arise in the pharmacy or the store they are taken care of in a timely manner. The staff support each other, for example we had a problem with a patient and one of the other pharmacists came to the aid of the pharmacist who was handling it.

Cons

As far as the company goes I have not yet seen a downside, but there will always be certain people you will not enjoy working with.

Advice to Management

I love my pharmacy manager. She has taught me so much. Sometimes there can be a disconnect with the floor staff and the pharmacy staff but I do not see that in my store. I believe it is vital for both teams to get along to have a harmonious environment.

5. Walgreens is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, IL
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Berkeley, IL

Pros

If you're looking for a company with a future then I believe Walgreens is the place to work. When you see the evening news all you hear about is one company after another downsizing. Walgreens has been consistantly growing and I believe will continue to. I worked for them for a long time and I always feel I was treated fairly and with respect. The Walgreen management ethics statment is dead on as to how employees and customers should always be treated. There is always room for improvement but after working for several large corporations prior to joining Walgreens I have to honestly say they were by far the best of the bunch.

Cons

You don't always get feedback on your performance.

Advice to Management

Don't lose track of what made Walgreens successful. Your employees ARE your most important asset.

6. Great job, great hours and excellent management

Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Mesa, AZ

Pros

The people are very nice and respectful and very helpful should you need help. The other employees are very friendly and it is a very low stress job. I recommend this job to anyone. The cashier job isn't the best job, but photo specialist is a great position and the learning curve is very low. The pay is competitive and the customers rarely have complaints, if you are capable of completing your job.

Cons

Not very many, there is not a ton of room for advancement, unless you want to be a manager.

Advice to Management

Make sure to reward employees who are doing a good job and give more feedback to employees that need help.

Good job if you are a hard worker and if not please stay away you will give us a bad rep.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

They pay well for the industry. Plenty of room for advancement and they also promote from within. We have terrific resources including people and technology. I enjoy working with the public and getting the public into my store.

Cons

Work long hours as a store manager. Have very limited budget of hours for the store with more and more work to get done. For those who say it is hard to get promoted look in the mirror and ask yourself if you are a good worker because I know that in my district if you are you get promoted. It took me 1 year to become an exa and 3 more years to become a store manager which I thought was quite fair. I worked my butt off to get here and I work even harder now that my name is on the wall of my store. So it doesnt get easier the further up the rung you go and if you think it does you have no idea the daily tasks that are involved with being a store manager.

Advice to Management

The easiest way to increase the bottom line is to cut expenses and the easiest way to do that is to cut hours in our stores, but is it the right thing to do? We dont want to resemble the kmart of the past that were thought of as dirty and turned people off do we? Help us keep the stores clean, neat, and organized by giving us a good budget of hours to work with.

8. Walgreens: a great place to work!

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kingsville, TX
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Kingsville, TX

Pros

Walgreen's has a wonderful work environment and employes a wide variety of people. I have never felt unwelcome there and have always had fun while working at all of the stores I have been to. There are ample opportunities to move up in the company; from within your home store to all over the country, Walgreen's has many job choices. The idea at Walgeen's is that it is okay to have fun at work so long as the customer leaves happy and maintaining relationships with the customer is very important. I think that anyone could be happy working there if they enjoy people's company and focus on making people happy.

Cons

The management is often not very experienced and they have a lot of turnover as management transfers or moves up, so they don't really get a lot of experience dealing with situations and policies. Also, a full-time workweek is only 30 hours, so you have to fill in at another store (which is easy to do with so many around) or hope someone calls in if you need more hours than that.

Advice to Management

Take the job seriously and put your foot down when needed. This is still a place of business, even though it is more laid back than others, and you can't be friends with everyone if you want people to respect your authority.

9. Walgreens is great!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager, CPhT in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager, CPhT in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Ive been with Walgreens 3 years. The pay is great and it is like a big family. It is by far one of the best companies to work for. They have excellent advancement opportunities and they look out for the employees best interest at all times. They work with everyones schedule. I dont understand why so many people have so much negative things to say about walgreens. However, every district is different. You cant compare Walgreens as a whole from a opinion based on one store or even one district.

Cons

It can be hard labor at times, but the pay is decent and you have to do the hard labor to work your way up. That is the same with any job really. If you dont like to work hard and are afraid to sweat, this isnt the career path for you.

Advice to Management

none

10. WALGREENS~ THE NUMBER ONE CHOICE FOR CONSUMERS AS WELL AS EMPLOYEES!!!!

Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Easley, SC
    Current Employee - Senior Pharmacy Technician in Easley, SC

Pros

Walgreens is by far the best pharmacy to work for. Our pharmacy is all about customer service and making sure that we go above and beyond what the "Normal" pharmacy is willing to do. I have worked for other pharmacies and have not found one yet that shows their care and concern for the employees, as Walgreens does. I could not be happier or more proud to work for this company.

Cons

None that I have discovered

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you would like to and do whatever it takes to better yourself, there are companies out there, that want to see you advance and do better with your career!

11. No greener pastures

Current Employee - Executive Assistant (EXA)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant (EXA)

Pros

Not a better retail career, IMO. If you perform well, you'll be rewarded w/ pay/advancement. I've passed people who've been w/ the company longer just w/ work ethic and an ability to understand the business. No company is growing as rapidly as it was a year ago, and Walgreens is the same. To think that there'd be a better career opportunity would be short-sighted.

Cons

Same as w/ any retail career. If you're salaried, they own you. Don't plan vacations around holidays. SM's get holidays off, but have to work all around them. Also, you'll do alot of baby-sitting (often for people older than you). As should be expected, the hourly people don't always have the same level of dedication as you do, and you have to motivate them to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Keep looking toward the future! Wouldn't change anything.

Showing 5,611 of 5,715 reviews