Walgreens

3,376 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,801 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

Walgreen sucks to work for

Pros

You get to work in air conditioning. It a clean place to work. And because they are such greedy bastards you propably do not have to worry about them going out of business.

Cons

You never have to worry about getting any kind of a raise unless you like .15 to .25 cents a year. Do to the greedyness and the restructoring of the comp I now make less then when I started 9 years ago. Dont get me wrong if you dont mind making 7.50 an hour being a cashier its not a bad job. Anything above that you will work your butt off for nothing. I am waiting to take my last vacation of the year and then I'm out of there. You can make more almost anywhere with way less BS.

Look at how much time and money goes in to training a good employee. Now look at how much turnover Walgreens has had invthe past year. Do you really think you have quality employees that like their job and want to stay. You use to before Greg Wasson took over now its a horrible place e to work. HORRIBLE

Lots of great talent leaving.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Love my staff and being able to develop and inspire them.

Cons

Open door policy is a joke...and actually gets used against you.

Over the last couple years the company has lost some great talet. So much focus on us making sure our employees are happy but yet the same concern doesn't apply to Store Managers. You may want to look into why so many people are leaving and trust me its not the new role. When you become a target they search for any reason to "apply pressure" ...when they want you gone they make it impossible for you to succeed. Just a sad shame!

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Photo Specialist  in  Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Photo Specialist in Rogers, AR

Pros

Good amount of hours for part time employees

Cons

Minimum wage. Management throws all of the work on to the lower employees while expecting them to run register/photo lab. Management never satisfied. Little to no motivation. In my half a year of working at walgreens I only had one manager ever tell me I was doing a good job. Rude customers who don't understand the Balance rewards savings program and/or annoy the hell out of you by stealing register rewards.

Pull your weight. Motivate your workers. You can get your point across without being rude and angry.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporate Drama

Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Analyst  in  Northbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandise Planning Analyst in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Peers are talented, hardworking, friendly. Cross-functional teams on similar levels tend to work well together. Career progression is available with proper networking. Solid company with good future growth prospects.

Cons

All companies have drama but Walgreens takes it to another level. There is constant gossip amongst senior management and opinions are only welcomed if they agree with said management. Very high turnover and most internal employees are looking outside the company for a better environment. The attrition in one department of 50 people was over 90% in one fiscal year. Constant turnover does lead to career opportunities but every new cycle of talent has less knowledge than the proceeding group. New senior management has little to no retail or CPG experience and is not aware of their deficiencies.

Pointless. Advice is not welcomed. Employee surveys are ignored.

Walgreens is the WORST JOB I'VE EVER HAD!!

Current Employee - Overnight Shift Lead  in  Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Overnight Shift Lead in Carrollton, GA

Pros

It's full time any pay is decent

Cons

I get written up 1-2 times every week. I never see the store manager as I am the overnight shift lead. He leaves me these horrible notes telling me what I've done wrong or what didn't get done and threatens my job each time. He has NEVER said ONE GOOD THING about me or to me.

You expect WAY too much from a 55 year old woman working the 10 hour overnight shift, with me unloading the trucks by myself. I have regular nightly duties which keep me busy but he adds extras on like a truck and doesn't take anything away and I get in trouble for not doing all of it. I have NEVER been reprimanded at work before but I expect it now weekly. I am under CONSTANT pressure to do more but I have given up even trying because I already know I'm going to fail. I've never had a manager that managed with intimidation and constant negative feedback. I have never done anything to his satisfaction. I'm doomed before I get there.

Indentured servants only

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Montrose, CO
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Montrose, CO

Pros

Salary and compensation are at industry standard = a paycheck

Cons

You sell your soul to the CRW gods. Zero ancillary help of any quality or trust

terrible place of employment..no consideration for employees

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

no real training..you work 8-9 hours with 1/2 lunch and no breaks ..constantly adding duties without any compensation.

Worst time of my life, better to shovel crap for a living than work for this corporate monster.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)

Pros

None, unless you like doing the same thing everyday. If you like dealing with old people yelling at you because you are out of canned mushrooms. The whole country could do without this entire chain. GO TO THR PHARMACY AT YOUR GROCERY STORE!!! You don't need to by groceries at walgreens!

Cons

Everything!!! Managers do nothing and make the assistant managers do all the work. Unloading a truck for two hours in a 120 degree stockroom in a tie, then having to go back on the floor and deal with customers nonsense issues like "I didn't get my 10 cents off my apple sauce".

Keep being worthless

Eventful and a learning experience testing patience pushing it past its uncomfortable zone.

Pros

Learning how to deal with different peoples personalities.

Cons

Having to deal with these peoples different personalities.

Company does not value their employees

Current Employee - Service Clerk  in  Elizabethton, TN
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in Elizabethton, TN

Pros

3rd shift schedule is awesome and after awhile the job becomes automatic

Cons

Leadership is more like rulership and company cut backs have forced some out of careers and on rare occasion homes

Get a new CEO

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!