Walgreens Reviews

3,659 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,939 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 227 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 143 reviews)

More Highlights

I was hired as the overnight manager but I am nothing but a glorified janitor, it's horrible!

Current Employee - Overnight Shift Lead (Manager) in Carrollton, GA
    Current Employee - Overnight Shift Lead (Manager) in Carrollton, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Insurance, and from where I live, the salary

Cons

At my store, it's all about clicks and gossip. If I get a write up, everybody has seen it and read it before me. There's no privacy and absolutely no professionalism. My manager doesn't have the balls to talk to me in person, I just get these nasty notes that everyone reads. I've been there 7 months and I have yet to talk to him. Also, they expect me to work like a machine on my shift, and since I'm not in their click, nobody likes me so I'm the scapegoat. Am I back in high school?

Be a professional, if someone needs improvement, call them in to a private office and talk to them about it. And don't tell everyone else first.

We'll I'm still alive and breathing

Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get 15 % off merchandise except milk and eggs and 25% off all walgreens products. Also you get to learn how to multi-task and use the full capabilities of having two hands and ears for phones and keyboards.

Cons

So... where do I start? No matter how long you have been working for walgreens, anyone can tell how bad the pharmacy is getting.Left and right hours are being cut and flu shot goals keep rising with the addition of number of incoming prescriptions. The new systems in our outdated windows xp computers for instance EHR to type only flu shots and other immunizations/testings freezes after every input.Pharmasicts never get any time to eat or drink and sometimes have to eat and verify at the same time not because they dont care but because they are starving.Overtime is not allowed but ends up happening anyway because sometimes techs can't go on break because the work hasn't been done so everyone just keeps working or leave after closing hours. Our new extraordinary care isn't in any way reflected in todays real world because no matter how hard we try to help costumers out we have to keep things moving and give ridiculous wait times and accidentally forget those faithful customers.Less help +less hours just does not equal the whole at the corner of happy and healthy. More like nightmare on elm street the pay is fine but you trade in being human to become a number and a robot your voice is never heard unless you know someone higher up in your district. With MTMs, flu shots, travel vaccines, customers and new control medication changes its astonishing no one just breaks down.Both techs and pharmacist feel the blow at walgreens with phones ringing, drive thru ,regular customers plus shots. Be prepare to lose weight at this job and time out your life because everyday will feel like a jog up a 50 story building then taking the elevator down the next day and doing it again.This job isn't for the weak or the kind heart.A customer is a face, address and a number and move on you will learn not to care if someone is sick but just get them in and out of your face.Welcome to Walgreens and Be Well.

You should fix things but you and your bosses boss won't. At the end of the day remember you're human and so is every one who works with you and below you.

It was one I won't forget

I worked at Walgreens part-time

Pros

I was hired very fast. The interview was very quick. Simple questions. Interviewer didn't seem to be aware of who he was interviewing.

Cons

People quit very fast because the pace for the pay is ridiculous. They can't keep anyone because the customers and pretend managers treat employees like the help in slavery days.

Say no to Walgreens

Current Employee - ASM Walgreens in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - ASM Walgreens in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Talking to the regular customers. Co workers work well together.

Cons

The pay sucks. They do NOT care about there employees. There open 365 day a year.

Your job is always on the line.

Highly unprofessional work environment

Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Burnet, TX
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist in Burnet, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I once had a great Manager and EXA. They got their own stores and moved. They were consistent, reliable and highly professional that took time to actually train people how to learn and grow within their positions. Constructive criticism was always aimed to help, not hurt and encouragement was given to those who tried and put effort into the job.

Cons

You never know what you are going to get with Walgreens Management. A new "Manager" came to the store and employees dropped out like flies. Myself and others experienced getting chewed out in front of and within earshot of customers on a regular basis by "management". The whole purpose in this "manager's" philosophy was to demean her employees until they complied to her frequent nonsense and kissed up to her - even if it was a rule against Walgreens policy. So everyone was breaking Walgreens policies left and right. The "Manager" would call employees into her office on a regular basis to chew them out. On the way to the office people would joke that the particular employee that was summoned over the PA was in trouble - even some of the regular shoppers knew of this and would joke too. She would delve into these "psychological" tirades of "what is wrong with you" when you were just doing your job. The Manager made employees sign into the cosmetics register under the sign in identification of the head of the cosmetics department (when she was clocked out) so that it would look good because the store was the team leader for 5 stores for the cosmetics dept. One of the shift leads who acted as management had sex with several of the vendors. She bragged about it. She often flirted and gave out her phone number to the vendors when we were receiving shipments. It was highly toxic behavior and everyone not only knew about it but was highly uncomfortable with it. "Manager" would accuse those who questioned behavior like this of "harassment". The "manager" showed favoritism with employees she liked with scheduling and kuddos, though those who were favored didn't even like her behavior beyond the "favors". The Manager rarely walked the floor, she would sit in her office and bring in local sales people who sold potpourri, candles, etc... and visit with them and smell samples. She was often hateful in her speech and demeanor and employees were miserable around her. When I went to Loss Prevention about my problems with this manager I was asked if I was racist ("Manager" was a different race than I) and was told that she stood up for me once. The "Manager" had too many friends in the District Office for them to do anything about her outrageous behavior. The employees got the message and just shut up because eventually the "manager" found everything out and this "manager's" philosophy centered around retaliation to anyone who questioned or reported her outrageous behavior. This "manager" was the most toxic person I have ever been around and it effected everyone's job and made us all uncomfortable. She did everything within her power to stab employees she didn't like in the back. She was very young and favored the younger girls and those who were of the same "culture" of hers.

Pay attention to what your employees have to say. They are the ones who are truthful in their replies. "Management" like above is likely to tell you what you want to hear.

underpaid and under appreciated.

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Pawtucket, RI
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Pawtucket, RI

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

a monkey can do this job.

Cons

they pay crap and don't care about any experience you may have in retail. management only cares for employees that suck up to them. customers mock you and treat you like crap. you have to tell customers to "be well" and they think its hilarious. management doesn't care about anything. you work long hours. little too no training. massive turnover rate. no career advancement. definitely not a career. work/life management : forget it.

treat everyone equally and do your job. pay better.

There is nothing happy or healthy about the corner

Current Employee - ASMt
    Current Employee - ASMt

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Walgreens has a decent retirement plan.

Cons

Payroll is so tight that all I do during my shift is run between the pharmacy and front end. I constantly have customers cuss me out because their prescriptions aren't ready. There isn't enough help in the pharmacy, they keep cutting hours, and they expect more and more out of everyone. I haven't had a raise in over two years. They are trying to make me salary, which means I'll be working at least 10 extra hours a week (most likely 20-30 more hours a week), and they'll be cutting my pay.

Stop cutting pay and payroll. All of your educated and experienced management is leaving the company. I can't wait until it catches up to your company.

Okay company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, but limited.

Cons

Management could be horrible and needs to stop thinking they are better than everyone else.

Listen to the employees suggestions.

Working at the specialty pharmacy was just a horrible experience.

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

I can't find anything positive to say.

Cons

Employees who have been there a long time make it hard for new employees to fit in. I am surprised at a number of employees working in one facility all related , mother and daughters and significant others. Of course favoritism is rampant in this bizarre environment, and when these individuals are in leadership roles ,they make sure you know being unpleasant to new hires or condescending they will be no recourse .

To keep new hires
     change the structure of existing hostile and unfriendly culture.

Worst experience of my career

Current Employee - Marketing in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast moving organization with lots of change. Hire smart people and expect big results.

Cons

Walgreens is a completely dysfunctional organization that works its employees to the bone to benefit a handful of executives. They don't equip their teams for success, tools and staff were always coming up short, and you could always count on layoffs right before year-end. It's an annual event and serves to help the execs hit their bonuses. In summer of 2013 they laid off 1,500 people and two weeks later Greg Wasson boldly reports to Wall Street that "we've had our most profitable quarter in company history!" Everyone sees thru the BS Greg.

Get a clue and truly care about your employees. You treat them like garbage.