Walgreens Reviews

3,483 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,857 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor leadership structure

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Winona, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Winona, MN

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Used to be salary, bonus and profit sharing

Cons

You are a highly compensated stock person and pharmacy technician - not a store manager.

If you want to be a manager, stay away, if you want to get good pay, but work you butt off to unload trucks, stock shelves, run a register and be a pharmacy technician than you will like this job. There is no control over your store because Community Leaders and District Managers tell you how your store should be. No control over creativity in merchandising.

Horrible management, literally no flexibility

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

Pros

The coworkers are great, they make it worthwhile.

Cons

Lots of work for little pay. Management treats you like you're stupid, which i guess if you work your butt off for them for minimum wage you are. I was constantly told that I had to work around the companies needs, which is understandable, but when I was asking for months for no more than 21 hours and they continually and consistently gave me 35, I understood that this company cares little about your needs. Not the place to work if you're a full-time student. There's also no future for you in walgreens. Shift lead positions cap out at 14$ an hour…. the store manager never stayed past 4 pm, took 90 minute long breaks, never worked a weekend and never worked a night shift, and he makes all the money. Shift leads are treated like crap too.

Hire more part time people so your employees don't get so burnt out.

As a cashier clerk beware to do all of the work while everybody else Is in the back

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Pay day and yeah that's about it!

Cons

Doing majority of the work

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay is not to bad and 15% discount is good as well.

Cons

No work/life/balance. And to many Managers in store management roles that should not be in that position. Corporate has no respect for employees in there stores.

bad company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

profit sharing, then nothing else,

Cons

pay, leadership, career advancements, work conditions, company caring for their employees

all the changes benefit the upper management but screw over everyone else

Former happy employee

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are still ok, but eroding rather quickly. There are a lot of good people still working in the stores, good team atmosphere.

Cons

Christmas bonus gone, have gone to PTO for time off, pay rates are stagnant, there is little opportunity for advancement, company "values" are a definite misnomer, and there is a culture of fear that is rampant in the stores.

Being one of the people who were thrown away like trash because my position was eliminated, I have one thing to say to upper management and that is, Value your employees. They are your greatest asset, not an expense.

Walgreen ASM

Current Employee - ASM  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - ASM in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Profit Sharing used to be good.

Cons

Get Stuck in your position if people above you don't like you

Suck up to upper Management if you want to get promoted

Avoid Walgreens at all cost. Run!

Former Employee - Service Clerk  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Madison, WI

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros to working at Walgreens. Absolutely, none.

Cons

Weird hours. Ex. you might work from 9-5 pm one day, 7-2 pm another and 2-10 pm another. You are forced to work weekends and holidays too.
    Pay is abysmal. I started out with minimum wage, left with minimum wage.
    Lazy managers and coworkers. If you want to see how lazy people work, please, go work at Walgreens.

I doubt they will even consider my advice.

New to Walgreen's, didn't miss retail.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor, Cashier
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor, Cashier

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount was just changed from 20% on Walgreen's products to 25%, the other low level employees make the shifts less boring.

Cons

Shift work is horrible, I work 7 days in a row and still only get 20-28 hours per week. Not to mention I told them I didn't want to work nights, and when inputting my availability, my manager selected 830-1030 (and 830-1200am for Saturday nights). I looked at the schedule and noticed a LOT of my coworkers have an extreme amount of set days they're unavailable to work (but when I changed my schedule all insanity ensued and I was told I couldn't jeopordize other peoples schedules for my own) I was also hired during a time where they needed a shift leader, upon being hired I was told they actually didn't need one, and would maybe in a couple months; patted me on the head and sent me out the door with some mylars. I get paid 8.00 an hour. My resume and application showed I held jobs at 9.50-14.83 per hour. My little sister makes 8.00 an hour making sandwiches and cleaning.
    SUGGESTIVE SELL. Suggestive sell can bite me. If I were a customer at a (let's call it now) convenience store, I didn't come in to be asked if I wanted tissues or to donate to something, or asked if I wanted to buy unhealthy snacks at 2/2.50! (As if that's some sort of deal). We shouldn't be trying to sell anything. They're already shopping with us and what keeps them coming back is MY being a friendly person. (I get customer compliments daily and have not been recognized for it, and they see me on camera constantly helping people but tell me to make sure I'm greeting and helping). I actually hate shopping at walgreens as a non employee. They're down your throats judging you for buying that product, because they're good they have to be right on top of you, asking you if you want a flu shot, or any shot, because you shoukd be immunized, did you notice all the flu shot signs in the aisle? I'll direct you to the pharmacy, by the way keep your ears peeled for subliminal (I say subliminal because most customers tune absolutely everything out - like when you ask if they'd like a bag and immediately respond with no thank you, then act like you're dumb because you didn't give them a bag an no matter how hard you want to circle back and say if they hadn't been ignoring you when you asked, they'd have a bag) overhead announcements about flu shots (guess what...these tactics almost never work. As much as management would like to think so. I've never gotten checked out and been asked if I needed a flu shot and thought "well yknow what I do. That ice cream I just bought, it can melt!" When I have wanted anything, I go out to get it. That's it. If I didn't come in for a flu shot, don't bother me about it.

Pay attention to what you're telling your employees, because we aren't as stupid as you think we are.

Depressing

Former Employee - Front End Cashier  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Walgreens part-time for less than a year

Pros

Job experience for someone who is first starting out, learning how to count money faster as you go, learning how to multitask.

Cons

After awhile you see everyone's true colors, your opinion doesn't matter, coworkers are mean and lazy and don't help you fast enough when you ask or need it right away, customers mock you when you say "be well".

Let us have an opinion

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!