Walgreens

3,959 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,070 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Maybe it's just my store, but I love this place.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor/CSA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor/CSA

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere, store leadership and management treat you as equals and focus on a happy environment, starting pay above minimum wage with many opportunities to move up. As a high school student working part time the scheduling manager is very flexible with practice, competition, and even social calendars and still allows me to have the 30 hours a week I request.

Cons

My store is open 24/7, so sometimes we're required to pull some extra weight when someone from the night crew can't be there - also being one of the youngest employees I'm expected to work most holidays which can be frustrating, but even then they keep the shifts shorter so you don't miss out on too much family time.

Moving store leaders continuously from store to store within the district with little forewarning is bad for morale and is frustrating to continually get to know new managers.

Overworked underpaid

Current Employee - SFL (Shift Floor Lead) in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - SFL (Shift Floor Lead) in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun people, no accountability, easy

Cons

Everything else....from the work you do or are given permission to do, to the amount of compensation you receive. As a member of "management" I am actually just a stockboy in a vest and tie.

Well apparently I'm considered a manager but on paper and in practice I'm only a supervisor? I know its not the store managers fault and is only doing what corporate says, which is the main reason this company is going into the ground. Especially after "field transformation" happened and promotional opportunities were lost and wages capped, there is no incentive to go above and beyond. And to corporate management.... make it about the employees and customers, not about the shareholders and you'd have a more respected company and employees that would give you more.

Walgreens is a decent place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

When you are a full time employee and hours get cut management still makes sure that the full time employees get their hours. My co-workers are all wonderful people and work very hard.

Cons

The schedule can be all over the place at times. If something needs to be told to an employee sometimes they are told by 4 different managers.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Certified Executive Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Certified Executive Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits but not worth what you need to do in order to earn them. They have many stores though so chances to move around.

Cons

Terrible management, no vision, long hours. I was in 3 stores over course of a year. Work life balance non existent.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Pharmacist
    Former Employee - Pharmacist

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Meet great people and connections

Cons

Too big of company and you don't feel important

Thank your workers for their hard work

Need a new job

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

The work is very easy.

Cons

I never get any hours.

Horrible manager

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customers come back to me because I know my department. Met a lot of nice people along the way.

Cons

Management at my store is HORRIBLE. Store manager is always sitting in the office. Feels like she belittles the entire staff. Nothing is ever good enough!

As a senior beauty advisor I don't need to be talked to like I don't know what I'm doing or that you think I'm doing a bad job. I've worked here for 15 years and on the verge of quitting cuz of poor management!

Not worth it

Former Employee - Walgreen Store Clerk in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Walgreen Store Clerk in New York, NY

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Friendly co-workers; easy interview; one nice store manager; parking; decent break time

Cons

Not paid enough for all that needs to be done; expected to clean restrooms; easily replacable

Treat your employees better and try to understand their problems when they ask for a day off (asked for a day off once and was turned down last minute after saying it can be worked out) instead of just worrying about your hours!

Underpaid Pharmacy Technician

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Vidor, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Vidor, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was able to get a job as a new certified pharmacy technician without any experience.

Cons

Underpaid for the amount of work we have to do. Not enough hours. Not enough time for adequate training. Hands on training really depends on the person teaching you. Little room for advancement. Can be stressful when understaffed.

Pay your technicians more. Don't automatically assume that the customer's issue is a problem with pharmacy staff - most of the time the problem is with the customer's insurance company.

Walgreens isn't a bad place for a first job.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think it all depends on the people you work with, the area, and hours could be flexible.

Cons

You have to take really long assessment tests and watch a lot of boring videos for training.

Be clear on the pay