Walgreens

3,380 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,804 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

You ultimately decide your own work experience

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor

Pros

Here you're really taught to reach out to customers and it allows for a great customer service experience. I feel completely comfortable with my skills as far as relating to customers and proactively offering assistance. After all, LOVE CUSTOMERS is one of Walgreen's cultural beliefs. There are infinite learning opportunities. The manager i currently work with loves sharing his ideas and information with his employees.

Cons

Because there is so much cross training going on, generally employees know a little bit of everything. Unfortunately that comes with being given larger amounts of responsibilities, whether or not it's part of your pay-grade. Within my store, employees that take initiative to learn are given projects and expected to complete them within very unrealistic time frames, while the employees that don't take much initiative at all are expected to do even less than their job description. Management doesn't take too much care to train underperforming employees instead just give other employees a work load that is unreasonable at times. Also at the location I work at Older, middle aged employees are treated way more leniently when it comes to most store policies Including cell phone use, elongated breaks, and making purchases while on shift. I guess it could be because management is uncomfortable with berating people that are around their age. It would just be nice if policy were enforced uniformly.

Work on training employees you see falling behind. Try to keep in mind that too many tasks assigned in one shift might overwhelm your employees and have them rush trying to get things done (and you might end up with lower quality work to show for it). You want work to get done, but you also want to provide your employees with a positive working experience. Trust me, it'll make for a more productive shift.

Great Company to Work For

Former Employee - Financial Analyst
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst

Pros

I worked in Finance at Walgreens for two years. This is a great company with great people. I built an amazing network while I was there and learned a lot. I can't speak for all of corporate, but if you are working in VCS (Value Creation Services), you have lots of opportunities to get engaged and grow.

Cons

As a public company decisions are made under pressure from Wall Street, which doesn't always have the best long-term interests of the company in mind. Management tries to balance short-term and long-term.

Ignore short-term demands of Wall Street and focus on growing the company in the long-term. Austerity makes it hard to be in a growth mindset.

Well At Walgreens

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Company making changes for the better and focusing on the customer.

Cons

With change comes adjustment. The amount of improvements are coming fast and furious.

Make transferring locations within the company an easier process.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conflicting

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Mesa, AZ

Pros

Growing company that helps foster personal growth and encourages the development of relationships with management, peers, and customers.

Cons

Company policies often get in the way of customer care and employee satisfaction.

I really loved working here. Great management and location. I only quit because I moved out of state.

Former Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor  in  Centerville, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor in Centerville, OH

Pros

Health benefits are pretty good. It's a really calm work environment. Promote from within.

Cons

Pay isn't super great, but positions and pay were all being restructured when I left, so I think pay is actually better now. Retail hours, plus Walgreens is opened every single day of the year.

Pharmacy needs better consistentancy

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician

Pros

Flexible scheduling, decent benefits once you become full time, they have some benefits for part time such as Walgreen's prescription discount membership at no cost to you which will give you a discount on medications and an additional 10% off your store purchases in addition to your 10% employee discount.

Cons

Can be a stressful work environment, conflicting customer service was told in training and in ppl's to always verify information, in reality told if in computer scan script and move on to next task not enough time. PPL's (computer training) need to be updated with the current methods the staff uses to look up and access information. In store training needs to be more consistent and streamlined so that the job responsibilities at all locations are the same for technicians, senior technicians, pharmacist's, and senior pharmacist's in order to avoid confusion over job responsibilities. For example; clearly defining who handles transferred prescriptions, I was trained that was a pharmacist's responsibility, but then was I told by my senior pharmacist no a tech can also write them up at the location I now work. The other pharmacist I work with says no only she can do them. So again inconsistent and confusing and that's just one ex.

Staff your pharmacies with at least two technicians so that the workflow is more consistent and we can have the time to give the customers the service they desire and you want delivered. Breakdown job responsibilities and make them more clear during training for the pharmacy such as transfer prescriptions, third party rejections, etc. Update the PPL's with current methods used by staff.

It's not easy

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager (EXA)

Pros

job security, discount, benefits, pto

Cons

stressful, high demand, turnover, work life balance, less career opportunities than in the past.

If you are coming to Walgreens from college without any experience, it is not gonna be what you expect. Managers are not "pencil pushers" They are responsible for stocking the shelves, running photo, required CPht so they can help in pharmacy and the list goes on.

Walgreen sucks to work for

Pros

You get to work in air conditioning. It a clean place to work. And because they are such greedy bastards you propably do not have to worry about them going out of business.

Cons

You never have to worry about getting any kind of a raise unless you like .15 to .25 cents a year. Do to the greedyness and the restructoring of the comp I now make less then when I started 9 years ago. Dont get me wrong if you dont mind making 7.50 an hour being a cashier its not a bad job. Anything above that you will work your butt off for nothing. I am waiting to take my last vacation of the year and then I'm out of there. You can make more almost anywhere with way less BS.

Look at how much time and money goes in to training a good employee. Now look at how much turnover Walgreens has had invthe past year. Do you really think you have quality employees that like their job and want to stay. You use to before Greg Wasson took over now its a horrible place e to work. HORRIBLE

Lots of great talent leaving.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Love my staff and being able to develop and inspire them.

Cons

Open door policy is a joke...and actually gets used against you.

Over the last couple years the company has lost some great talet. So much focus on us making sure our employees are happy but yet the same concern doesn't apply to Store Managers. You may want to look into why so many people are leaving and trust me its not the new role. When you become a target they search for any reason to "apply pressure" ...when they want you gone they make it impossible for you to succeed. Just a sad shame!

Hell on Earth

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Photo Specialist  in  Rogers, AR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate/Photo Specialist in Rogers, AR

Pros

Good amount of hours for part time employees

Cons

Minimum wage. Management throws all of the work on to the lower employees while expecting them to run register/photo lab. Management never satisfied. Little to no motivation. In my half a year of working at walgreens I only had one manager ever tell me I was doing a good job. Rude customers who don't understand the Balance rewards savings program and/or annoy the hell out of you by stealing register rewards.

Pull your weight. Motivate your workers. You can get your point across without being rude and angry.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!