Walgreens Reviews

3,451 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,844 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

In-Store Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Pretty flexible if you need days off but probably depends on the store. Easy work.

Cons

Management's communication inconsistent. Also, it is a revolving door at the management level.

Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Infusion Sales
    Current Employee - Infusion Sales

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom, choices, and not micro-managed.

Cons

Lack of communication and respect among sales and branch. Priorities are different with the branches which work against your sales goals. With this position our job is to sell although at times we are to busy dealing with other internal issues which should not be an issue but we take it to heart being it may negatively affect our bonus.

Infusion sales- our job is to sell the package. It is the branches job to fulfill the sale. Unfortunately the branch does not want a nurse to go to a home on the weekend or in the evening although this is exactly what we were told to sell being we are trying to make life easier for the patient. Bottom line to branch is cost, if that is truly the case then don't have us selling on these advantages. Corporate, management, sales, and branches are not on the same page and this will eat away at you as a sales/manager. It truly depends on the independent branch you have in your territory. Make sure and find out their position on this. It could make or break you and your bonus. Consistency would be welcomed. Walgreens means well and is a great company they just need to pay attention to all of the layers it has.

Ok company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

The people make the job.

Cons

Some of the upper management staff abuse their powers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Walgreens provides learning skills. However, there is little to no advancement.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Jackson, OH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Jackson, OH

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting wonderful people and having the opportunity to make friends. Learning new skills is nice.

Cons

Walgreens does not provide sufficient pay rate for today's increasing living expenses. There is little to no advancement opportunities. Rules and policies continuously rise and brings along a threat for not adhering to the policies correctly. There is a never ending threat of disciplinary action for not meeting the sales quota for each department. There too much negative responses from higher management and not enough positive feedback from higher management.

Employees should not feel threatened to losing their job over minor issues. Taking time for family time should be encouraged not frowned upon.

It all depends on the location of your store.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for more than a year

Pros

Mostly good coworkers
    Corporate recently trying to engage employees better
    Decent benefits
    Good hours that work around college schedule
    Not difficult work
    Customers are decent most of the time

Cons

Having to deal with fellow employees laziness that the company refuses to fire for multiple reasons.
    Management is a hit or miss depending on store.
    Corporate trying instill 'robot-like' actions of it's employees (be well, welcome to walgreens, etc.)
    Hard to advance unless you are prepared to devote entire life to the company and must be available to work 50 plus hours a week for years at a measly pay grade.

Allow more free contact between customers and associates because its sounds more natural and genuine.

Fun work environment, hard to progress

Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist  in  Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work at two stores in my time with this company.
    - Small teams mean you really become a family. I loved coming to work everyday because the people I worked with were amazing.
    - You get to learn a wide variety of retail skills in every position, especially if you show an interest in growing. I even gained some great managerial skills.
    - Rare opportunity to work with film developing equipment as a lot of company's start to outsource these services. I loved working with customer's photo projects, great way to really get to know your regulars and watch people get excited about sharing their lives.
    - When I decided to go back to school my store was very supportive and for the most part was very willing to meet my scheduling needs.
    - One week paid vacation after one year, moves up to two weeks after 3 (I think).
    - No established dress code regarding tattoos, piercings, or hair color. Company is accepting of personal style as long as you meet uniform requirements.
    - Good benefits if you need them. Profit sharing plans.
    - 15% discount on everything, 20% discount on Walgreens brands (but they're sneaky and don't include some company owned brands). Lots of employee appreciation days where you get bigger discounts, usually with a warning a week out, especially around the holidays.

Cons

- Getting stuck in a slow location where managers are essentially trained can be frustrating, I experienced 3 new store managers over a one year period at one location. Since assistant managers are also relocated often there was no consistency in how the store was run.
    - Upselling goals can be unrealistic in a smaller town where the majority of the customers are daily regulars. Suggestive sell is annoying for them.
    - Recent restructuring of the management system caused a lot of people to receive pay cuts. I left before it was fully implemented so I don't know how daily operations were effected.
    - Joining a store with an established team essentially means you will always work nights unless someone is on vacation or leaves the store. Makes it difficult to have a life outside of work. It also means you will have a difficult time advancing your position unless you are willing to relocate to another store.
    - Yearly raises are based on performance reviews from store manager, if you never have shifts with them you're essentially screwed. Raises are barely worth anything and don't factor in raises in minimum wage. After 3 years I made 5 cents more an hour than someone who had been with the company for 6 months in a similar position.
    - You will work every holiday if you don't have a family. I worked every Christmas and most Christmas eves.

great at the store level but a lack of communication from district up to corporate

Current Employee - Shift Lead  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible schedule, many tasks to complete to keep you busy.

Cons

horrible pay structure, horrible promotion structure at the store level. Corporate says one thing to do, district says a different way, and stores are left to figure things out for themselves.

go into stores unannounced to see how they really perform instead of planning your visits so that stores just look like they are organized and well run.

Like all Company they have the quirks

Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist  in  Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started with the company back in October of 2012 as a Photo Clerk/Cashier and instantly fell in love with the company. The discount is really nice and they just bumped it up for the Walgreens brand items. I have worked steadly at 2 stores and filled in at another and at each one the management backs what the staff says in front of customers. This is the first company I have seen this from and I have worked for Best Buy and Staples. They love to promote from within once again unlike Staples and Best Buy. In 5 months I went from the Photo Clerk/Cashier to the Head Photo Specialist in another store. They are always challenging you to come up with new ideas for endstands, in store promotions and ways to organize the store better.

Cons

In my store I feel that they could have handled they recent opening for a team lead position a lot better. We were about to have a guy leave to go back home after he graduated from College. Before he left they never stated that there was going to be a opening position they said that they were going to go with what they had. In about 2 days they had in my mind made a 360 turn on that stance. Without really any clear cut evaluation process they had decided on a lady that is always late but does pretty darn good work. Ever since she has gotten the position she has basically wasted most of her day talking to her replacement in Cosmetics while the rest of us pick up the slack. We also traded with another store for guy fresh out of college for retail management. He came into the company as a service clerk last summer then went back to school came back as the ASMT ( Assistant Store Manager in Training). He is always coming to me asking what he should do about or with his daily tasks. I do not mind helping out with those but when it is just about everday it makes me wonder who should be over who. So he got his degree in Retail Management and has not worked in a store since he was 16. I have worked in the industry for going on 10 years I may not have the piece of paper stating I know what I am doing but I do know what I am doing. When it comes to inventory they seem to care about how much dollars we have and not that the counts on all products are right. Makes for really hard time trying to find sfuff when it says that we have 40 of a item but it is 40 of a different item but they cost the same.

When promoting to a Team Lead position please be more diligent in your selection. It seems like the first one to raise hand or speak up first gets it. I feel that is the worst way to decide those kind of roles. A Team Lead is a Key Holder that reports to the Assistant Store Manager.

Great Company

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mangers are great, coworkers are good. You have ability to move in different areas.

Cons

Nothing I could think off.

Great company with lots of opportunities to grow and develop.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time

Pros

I found Walgreens to be an exceptional place to work - good compensation with a generous bonus plan and benefits, supportative culture and lots of opportunities for advancement. It offered a great work-life balance. I had the pleasure to work with and learn from some exceptional people.

Cons

At times there is a disconnect with Corporate initiatives to what actually happens at the retail stores. Implementating change is a long and slow process with a company this large; it takes a lot of patience and persistence.

Continue to focus on fostering a culture of accountability, collaboration and innovation. Be more nimble and fast track change whenever possible.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!