Walgreens Reviews

3,717 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,968 Ratings

Pros
  • The only pro is the retirement plan - their profit sharing matches (in 233 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 94 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 145 reviews)

More Highlights

Company has experienced a lot of change recently.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The majority of the people I worked with were very friendly. Walgreens also provided flexible hours so an employee can work and take classes.

Cons

The major challenge working here was corporate cutting costs. As a former MGT, who did not want to advance to store manager, this cost cutting led to me being laid off. Cost cutting impacted the morale of all of the employees and made a simple job very difficult to accomplish. Especially those in management who had to juggle both the front end and pharmacy while trying to accomplish their work list.

My advice to management is simple: remember your store employees are the reason why many customers choose to return to Walgreens. If you are not treating them right and providing fair wages then they will not treat your customers right.

Used to be good place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager (MGT) in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, paid vacation, sick days, 401k, employee discounts, flexible hours/days, somewhat able to transfer from store to store.

Cons

This used to be a great company to work for. However, in light of recent company restructuring, hours are cut constantly, and positions are continuously being revamped. Employees are expected to be robots with forced greetings. You are always being pushed to sell something and expected to meet certain sales quotas.

I used to love coming to work, thanks for "messing" it up!

In the life of an employee

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Conyers, GA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Conyers, GA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have an awesome store manager as well as team members,our employee discount, flexible work schedule,and holiday pay

Cons

We don't get paid as much as we should

Help your team grow,it al starts with you.Encourage them to work so they can move up in the company,and most importantly treat your employee like people not peasants

Worked overnight,

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible hours, training was up to date.

Cons

not much chance for advancement

need to communicate with all employees including overnight shift

If you can play their game, you may be able to make this into a career.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Clerk in San Jose, CA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A raise (10 or 15 cents, but it adds up) for every 1000 hours worked, annual cost of living raise (30 cents give or take), flexible scheduling, management will accommodate scheduling within reason, paid one week vacation for every year with company, profit sharing, stock options, reasonable benefits, holiday pay, some room for growth, depending on location.
    After the Swine Flu Outbreak, Employees are entitled to a free flu shot.

Cons

Don't get SICK, even though you work in a Drugstore---Management will lecture you and may hang up on you if you call in sick. (even those who call in sick once a year, like me) Employees constantly come in sick, infecting their coworkers.
    Open 365 days a year and most open 24 hours--employees are expected to work Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and Christmas Eve/Day, which is discussed during interview process.
    Seniority prevails over work performances--I could put stock away and get projects done faster than my seasoned counterparts (management and the scheduling manager even told me so) yet I was confined to a cash register if I worked with said counterparts.
    I volunteered to work the Graveyard Shift so I could get full time hours.
    Payroll hours were always cut, yet Walgreens always had the money to pay for Super Bowl ads and to pay "analysts" to determine work flows and department cuts, when they could have just asked actual employees for that information.
    After my departure, I found out that Assistant Managers were subjected to pay cuts and title "demotions", yet workload stayed the same.
    Pharmacy, Sales of Cigarettes and Alcohol can attract some "undesirable" clientele, forcing us to also act as store detectives and loss prevention, and panhandlers in front of the store.

Base payroll hours on performance rather than seniority.
    Understand that working in a drugstore and with the public, employees will get sick and shouldn't be "AFRAID" to call in because of the consequences of doing so. You would have less employees getting sick if the first few actually got to stay home rather than spread their germs.
    If you can afford a million dollar Super Bowl ad, you can afford to give more full time hours to employees.

Decent experience.

Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management really wants to see you succeed. They were very fair and understanding. Focus on wellness is a plus.

Cons

Work could get hectic and scheduling was sometimes done without care (i.e. making someone work even if they've requested off two weeks in advance), I witnessed store violence between employee and customer, I experienced violence between teens and it sent the store into a flux. Totally dependent on your stores location though.

Take your employees needs and advice into consideration more often.

So far so good!

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor Walgreens in Springdale, AR

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management! The employees take pride in their work.

Cons

The base pay is low. There is plenty room for advancement though.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere and culture of the company. They were very understanding that i had children

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The management are there to help you strive to be the best. they will also help you to achieve opportunities for advancement.

Cons

The overnight shift was harder because you were working 80 hours in 1 week then a week off.

The world of Wal-GREED

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Big Bear Lake, CA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It beats manual labor or being a prostitute I guess. But you make better money as a prostitute

Cons

I work in the pharmacy and the customers all treat you like garbage. If you're ok with being degraded all day then I guess this is a good choice for you.... currently seeking a career change.

Hire some managers that aren't complete and total dipshits and that aren't just corporate puppets. I'm sure that's too much to ask.

The job is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're willing to put the work in, you can get a lot out of it. If you show interest in something, you can usually get yourself trained in it. Management has gotten a lot better the last few months as far as recognizing things you do well. Scheduling is pretty flexible, although no one gets vacation from October 1-January 1. Criticism is almost always constructive (here's what you did incorrectly, but try this next time to help you do better), not just criticizing for the sake of criticizing. Profit sharing program that matches contributions of eligible employees. Annual review that, while it can be stressful, is also full of positive recognition as well as things to improve on.

You can get by in this job without doing a ton of work, but only if you're willing to accept that you will probably never get off the front register, let alone get any kind of promotion.

Cons

The hardest part is coping with always being short-handed. The fewer hours you have to work with, the more work you have to squeeze in to those hours. But at the same time, you have to spend more time with customers, since there are never enough employees to have everything covered at once. Plus, some customers don't understand that sometimes they might have to wait for a few minutes to get help when you only have one cashier and one shift lead running the entire store (sometimes for hours at a time). It takes a lot of patience and hard work to really excel in a job like this. Fortunately, management is usually understanding when items don't get marked off of task lists because you have to spend your entire shift helping customers.

It can also be very frustrating dealing with customers when you're cashiering (or even just out on the floor). Some of them get very nasty over nothing, yell at you for something the pin pad asks them that you have no control over, take it personally that you don't have items in stock, etc. This is true of any job in customer service, but if you can't handle it, you will hate this job.

Another downside of not enough hours is that you don't get the hours that you need for training. They take a very hands on learning approach.

SUGGESTIVE SELLING. When you're ringing people up, you're supposed to offer them candy, or gum, or a flu shot, or some paper balloons to help fund cancer research. Everyone that I work with hates it, but they pit stores and districts against each other, and management has no choice but to try convincing their employees to push it.

Keep up the recognition cards. Those are good motivators. Maybe do coaching cards more often so people know exactly what they have to improve on to get higher scores on their next evaluations. Actually take note of the people that want to stay with the company for a long time, and take a little bit of time here and there to train them in things that they'll need to know if they want to advance in the company.