Walgreens

3,959 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,070 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Walgreens is a decent place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Senior Beauty Advisor

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

When you are a full time employee and hours get cut management still makes sure that the full time employees get their hours. My co-workers are all wonderful people and work very hard.

Cons

The schedule can be all over the place at times. If something needs to be told to an employee sometimes they are told by 4 different managers.

Walgreens isn't a bad place for a first job.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think it all depends on the people you work with, the area, and hours could be flexible.

Cons

You have to take really long assessment tests and watch a lot of boring videos for training.

Be clear on the pay

Great and easy

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Every Walgreens is going to be different and I've worked in 3 different stores for the past 6 years. I personally prefer the ones that are busier, but you can find ones that are slower if that suits your needs. At the ones that are slower, you're usually more free to goof off a bit, but the busier ones will be strict. It's not a bad type of strict, they just want the work to get done.

Cons

I haven't really had negative experiences with Walgreens itself. The only slight complaint I have is that if you're working in a 24 hour store, it's very possible to be scheduled for a shift that ends at 11pm one day, and then a shift for 7am the next. Most managers are not very happy with having to reschedule people around. Depending on the store you have to give 2-3 weeks notice if you want off.

Stock

Former Employee - Photo Specialist
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Nothing to say here fine

None

Work Life

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Cheap company that gives below average raises.

Think about the consequences before making any deals, contracts or decisions to implement something a certain way. The long-term effects may be less than the current financial benefits.

Two Years and Counting

Current Employee - Shift Lead
    Current Employee - Shift Lead

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-40+ hours a week
    -Manager's that are dedicated
    -Tons of room to grow/promote

Cons

Any cons that I might have are more specific to my store.

More accountability please

Continuous Change

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

A lot of real good long term employees

Cons

Things change too much and change very often

Cashier

Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier
    Former Employee - Walgreens Cashier

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Low stress, friendly atmosphere, well structured and straightforward work and review. Promotions had occurred in store but employees worked long spans for them.

Cons

Tedious and humdrum at times, rude and sick customers can often make your shift unpleasant.

Very structured, no advice necessary

Love working at Walgreens!

Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great company with great people. My managers have always been caring, supportive and fun to work with.

Cons

There's a lot of change as we morph into a global organization, but that is exciting too.

Walgreens: Some people are lazy, others aren't.

Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk
    Former Employee - Walgreens Service Clerk

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

If you aren't a sour grap, you will get to know your co-workers and it will be a breeze. You learn how the retail industry works, and the importance of deadlines and preparation (especially if you work the graveyard shift like I did)
    Really easy job

Cons

You quickly learn who the "lazy" workers are... the people who just do the bare minimum. It's funny how it's those people who complain the most too. There is gossip everywhere in the stores. (Wasn't a problem for me, bc I just made people laugh) Some assistant managers or 'shift leaders' will push the blame onto others when the store manager gets on their backs for not completing a task. "Why wasn't aisle 6 re-faced? -- oh (this person) was feeling ill so I had to cover the front a lot" [ [what? I said I was feeling kinda ill, but good enough to do my job... you never covered the front =| ]] (now I know why I never got the outstanding employee review raise even though I started remembering regular customer's names) (My reviews always said "Needs improvement on customer skills.... retarded)

Teach management to not shift blame on others.
    Budget your finances....
    Don't stack the supply storeroom to the roof,.... yea I was young so I could climb up and reach it... but if I was old... someone could get seriously hurt