Walgreens Reviews

3,456 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,847 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun work environment, hard to progress

Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist  in  Bremerton, WA
    Former Employee - Certified Photo Specialist in Bremerton, WA

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I had the opportunity to work at two stores in my time with this company.
    - Small teams mean you really become a family. I loved coming to work everyday because the people I worked with were amazing.
    - You get to learn a wide variety of retail skills in every position, especially if you show an interest in growing. I even gained some great managerial skills.
    - Rare opportunity to work with film developing equipment as a lot of company's start to outsource these services. I loved working with customer's photo projects, great way to really get to know your regulars and watch people get excited about sharing their lives.
    - When I decided to go back to school my store was very supportive and for the most part was very willing to meet my scheduling needs.
    - One week paid vacation after one year, moves up to two weeks after 3 (I think).
    - No established dress code regarding tattoos, piercings, or hair color. Company is accepting of personal style as long as you meet uniform requirements.
    - Good benefits if you need them. Profit sharing plans.
    - 15% discount on everything, 20% discount on Walgreens brands (but they're sneaky and don't include some company owned brands). Lots of employee appreciation days where you get bigger discounts, usually with a warning a week out, especially around the holidays.

Cons

- Getting stuck in a slow location where managers are essentially trained can be frustrating, I experienced 3 new store managers over a one year period at one location. Since assistant managers are also relocated often there was no consistency in how the store was run.
    - Upselling goals can be unrealistic in a smaller town where the majority of the customers are daily regulars. Suggestive sell is annoying for them.
    - Recent restructuring of the management system caused a lot of people to receive pay cuts. I left before it was fully implemented so I don't know how daily operations were effected.
    - Joining a store with an established team essentially means you will always work nights unless someone is on vacation or leaves the store. Makes it difficult to have a life outside of work. It also means you will have a difficult time advancing your position unless you are willing to relocate to another store.
    - Yearly raises are based on performance reviews from store manager, if you never have shifts with them you're essentially screwed. Raises are barely worth anything and don't factor in raises in minimum wage. After 3 years I made 5 cents more an hour than someone who had been with the company for 6 months in a similar position.
    - You will work every holiday if you don't have a family. I worked every Christmas and most Christmas eves.

Was always a challenge

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Walgreens part-time for more than a year

Pros

guaranteed raise of 25 cents every 6 months!

Cons

you dont get any 30 min lunches that you are entitled to by law, almost zero attention to employee needs and welfare, poor hours

Ok, good work life balance but too much hierarchy

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

good work life balance but...

Cons

hierarchy is an issue nevertheless

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Minimum wage, high expectations.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Walgreens part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment. Trivial work. Work with schedule for college students.

Cons

Egotistical boss. Management style is old fashioned. Machines are out of date.

Idk

Disagree with changes and expectations Corporate is making and with the means they are using to accomplish them.

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make great friends while working there! Good benefits and discounts.

Cons

Worked at Walgreens for almost 5 years. Seen many changes. I disagreed with current changes and expectations Corporate is making and with the means they are using to accomplish them.

- making me feel cynical, not valued, unrecognized, unappreciated, frustrated and demoralized; taking my enthusiasm and self-esteem
    - Feedback from store employees not considered or valued by Corp: no ongoing dialogue at corp level
    --More simplified and realistic expectations
    - Registers and other systems constantly crashed or are out dated.
    - Need more team members to keep up with customers. Most of the time, we had 1 cashier, 1 dept employee, 1 mgr, and 1 pharmacist. So I felt like I was running 5-6 departments on my own. Customers asked why cosmetics and photo dept don't have anyone there when they need help and why the manager is stuck in pharmacy for a hours at a time because they are understaffed.

Employees are quitting even those that have been with Walgreens for 10 or more years because they no longer believe in the direction the company is going. READ THE STORE BLOGS. Help employees not feel cynical, valued, unrecognized, unappreciated, and demoralized; and build more moral, enthusiasm and self-esteem by considering how the new changes are affecting employees. Consider and value feedback from store employees as much if not more than from customers.

great place to work

I worked at Walgreens full-time

Pros

easy work, flexible scheduling, great

Cons

training could be better organized

Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Infusion Sales
    Current Employee - Infusion Sales

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom, choices, and not micro-managed.

Cons

Lack of communication and respect among sales and branch. Priorities are different with the branches which work against your sales goals. With this position our job is to sell although at times we are to busy dealing with other internal issues which should not be an issue but we take it to heart being it may negatively affect our bonus.

Infusion sales- our job is to sell the package. It is the branches job to fulfill the sale. Unfortunately the branch does not want a nurse to go to a home on the weekend or in the evening although this is exactly what we were told to sell being we are trying to make life easier for the patient. Bottom line to branch is cost, if that is truly the case then don't have us selling on these advantages. Corporate, management, sales, and branches are not on the same page and this will eat away at you as a sales/manager. It truly depends on the independent branch you have in your territory. Make sure and find out their position on this. It could make or break you and your bonus. Consistency would be welcomed. Walgreens means well and is a great company they just need to pay attention to all of the layers it has.

Ok company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

The people make the job.

Cons

Some of the upper management staff abuse their powers.

Walgreens provides learning skills. However, there is little to no advancement.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Jackson, OH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Jackson, OH

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting wonderful people and having the opportunity to make friends. Learning new skills is nice.

Cons

Walgreens does not provide sufficient pay rate for today's increasing living expenses. There is little to no advancement opportunities. Rules and policies continuously rise and brings along a threat for not adhering to the policies correctly. There is a never ending threat of disciplinary action for not meeting the sales quota for each department. There too much negative responses from higher management and not enough positive feedback from higher management.

Employees should not feel threatened to losing their job over minor issues. Taking time for family time should be encouraged not frowned upon.

Depends where you're at

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pharmacy Tech training program amazing.

Cons

Is dependent on what kind of staff to train hands on.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!