Walgreens Reviews

3,651 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,938 Ratings

Pros
  • Profit sharing is a nice added bonus, however it isn't like it used to be (in 226 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 138 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 93 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 141 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a great experience working with customer service!

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Good experience working with customers.

Cons

Long hours leads to repetitiveness.

Team Member

Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX
    Former Employee - Split Case Picker (Team Member) in Waxahachie, TX

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the Distribution Center, and I was very pleased with the pay, work, and work environment.

Cons

I had to maintain great hand-to-eye coordination as a Split-Case Picker.

I actually enjoyed everything about the management, with the exception of the HR team's decision to fire me after my Mom passed away, and I had asked for an extension on my bereavement, but the Distribution Center Manager at the time denied my request due to the "need of the business". Also, it's important to mention that I had been there for a little over 3 years and they would not be understanding towards my personal situation.

Great place to work

Current Employee - SFL in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - SFL in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

friendly atmosphere
    huge discount
    flexible hours
    easy to get promotions(only if u do an awesome job)
    parallel transfers are very easy too

Cons

salary hike is minimal
    need to have more budget so that we have more help keeping shelves full

Increase the budget means more floor help, shelf remains full, customer satisfaction, more customers coming to stores, avoid annoyed customers. Majority of customer complaints are regarding shelf being empty and not finding the product they came for. need to concentrate on that.

Great

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

I like working helping people and just working with the public. Its such a happy environment, tge customers and employees.

Cons

The challenges of working at Walgreens is the different people's personalitys and their attitudes, but its a good challenge for me.

I would ask there could be more help in the store at check outs.

The job is what you make of it.

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're willing to put the work in, you can get a lot out of it. If you show interest in something, you can usually get yourself trained in it. Management has gotten a lot better the last few months as far as recognizing things you do well. Scheduling is pretty flexible, although no one gets vacation from October 1-January 1. Criticism is almost always constructive (here's what you did incorrectly, but try this next time to help you do better), not just criticizing for the sake of criticizing. Profit sharing program that matches contributions of eligible employees. Annual review that, while it can be stressful, is also full of positive recognition as well as things to improve on.

You can get by in this job without doing a ton of work, but only if you're willing to accept that you will probably never get off the front register, let alone get any kind of promotion.

Cons

The hardest part is coping with always being short-handed. The fewer hours you have to work with, the more work you have to squeeze in to those hours. But at the same time, you have to spend more time with customers, since there are never enough employees to have everything covered at once. Plus, some customers don't understand that sometimes they might have to wait for a few minutes to get help when you only have one cashier and one shift lead running the entire store (sometimes for hours at a time). It takes a lot of patience and hard work to really excel in a job like this. Fortunately, management is usually understanding when items don't get marked off of task lists because you have to spend your entire shift helping customers.

It can also be very frustrating dealing with customers when you're cashiering (or even just out on the floor). Some of them get very nasty over nothing, yell at you for something the pin pad asks them that you have no control over, take it personally that you don't have items in stock, etc. This is true of any job in customer service, but if you can't handle it, you will hate this job.

Another downside of not enough hours is that you don't get the hours that you need for training. They take a very hands on learning approach.

SUGGESTIVE SELLING. When you're ringing people up, you're supposed to offer them candy, or gum, or a flu shot, or some paper balloons to help fund cancer research. Everyone that I work with hates it, but they pit stores and districts against each other, and management has no choice but to try convincing their employees to push it.

Keep up the recognition cards. Those are good motivators. Maybe do coaching cards more often so people know exactly what they have to improve on to get higher scores on their next evaluations. Actually take note of the people that want to stay with the company for a long time, and take a little bit of time here and there to train them in things that they'll need to know if they want to advance in the company.

Depends on who you work with

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, TN

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible with hours.
    Great Customers.
    15% Discount.

The work place atmosphere really depends on what general manager you have that runs the store.

Cons

Low pay.
    Train Videos are boring.
    They want you to say to every customer "Thank you and be well" - makes you sound like a robot.

Update training videos. Drop the Thank you and be well slogan and let the service clerks carry real conversations without sounding like robots.

It used to be great but overworked and understaffed.

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Learning about medicine and learning how to run a store.

Cons

understaffed. first of the month influx.

Find a Walgreen to get back on the board of Directors.. this company has lost its roots and are listening to shareholders more than employees.

organized

Current Employee - Trainee in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Trainee in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Walgreens as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

great culture , mentors, and a great environmental initiatives

Cons

sometimes I would get frustrated with managment

optimization

A changing company

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love working with customers
    Great people to work with

Cons

Company does not care much for employees
    The change in procedures and standards left the employees out of the process

Politics overshadow people

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

Some of the employees, options of medical, dental and eye insurance. Longevity gives lots of vacation time.

Cons

Managers/shift leads are often on power trips, you are expected to be robotic and repeat the same things over and over, they would rather save a few dollars by scheduling only one person for the entire front store with no regard for the stress it causes on the employees. You never get a set schedule.

A set schedule would be nice, or at least 2 days off in a row. It would be great if you would allow us enough budgeted hours so that 1 or 2 employees aren't stressed to death trying to do the work of 4 or 5 people. (Or pay us like we are 4 or 5 people)