Walgreens Reviews

3,476 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,854 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

Ok company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

The people make the job.

Cons

Some of the upper management staff abuse their powers.

Walgreens provides learning skills. However, there is little to no advancement.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Jackson, OH
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Jackson, OH

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

Meeting wonderful people and having the opportunity to make friends. Learning new skills is nice.

Cons

Walgreens does not provide sufficient pay rate for today's increasing living expenses. There is little to no advancement opportunities. Rules and policies continuously rise and brings along a threat for not adhering to the policies correctly. There is a never ending threat of disciplinary action for not meeting the sales quota for each department. There too much negative responses from higher management and not enough positive feedback from higher management.

Employees should not feel threatened to losing their job over minor issues. Taking time for family time should be encouraged not frowned upon.

Depends where you're at

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pharmacy Tech training program amazing.

Cons

Is dependent on what kind of staff to train hands on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great at the store level but a lack of communication from district up to corporate

Current Employee - Shift Lead  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible schedule, many tasks to complete to keep you busy.

Cons

horrible pay structure, horrible promotion structure at the store level. Corporate says one thing to do, district says a different way, and stores are left to figure things out for themselves.

go into stores unannounced to see how they really perform instead of planning your visits so that stores just look like they are organized and well run.

great place to work

I worked at Walgreens full-time

Pros

easy work, flexible scheduling, great

Cons

training could be better organized

In-Store Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Pretty flexible if you need days off but probably depends on the store. Easy work.

Cons

Management's communication inconsistent. Also, it is a revolving door at the management level.

Like all Company they have the quirks

Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist  in  Decatur, IL
    Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started with the company back in October of 2012 as a Photo Clerk/Cashier and instantly fell in love with the company. The discount is really nice and they just bumped it up for the Walgreens brand items. I have worked steadly at 2 stores and filled in at another and at each one the management backs what the staff says in front of customers. This is the first company I have seen this from and I have worked for Best Buy and Staples. They love to promote from within once again unlike Staples and Best Buy. In 5 months I went from the Photo Clerk/Cashier to the Head Photo Specialist in another store. They are always challenging you to come up with new ideas for endstands, in store promotions and ways to organize the store better.

Cons

In my store I feel that they could have handled they recent opening for a team lead position a lot better. We were about to have a guy leave to go back home after he graduated from College. Before he left they never stated that there was going to be a opening position they said that they were going to go with what they had. In about 2 days they had in my mind made a 360 turn on that stance. Without really any clear cut evaluation process they had decided on a lady that is always late but does pretty darn good work. Ever since she has gotten the position she has basically wasted most of her day talking to her replacement in Cosmetics while the rest of us pick up the slack. We also traded with another store for guy fresh out of college for retail management. He came into the company as a service clerk last summer then went back to school came back as the ASMT ( Assistant Store Manager in Training). He is always coming to me asking what he should do about or with his daily tasks. I do not mind helping out with those but when it is just about everday it makes me wonder who should be over who. So he got his degree in Retail Management and has not worked in a store since he was 16. I have worked in the industry for going on 10 years I may not have the piece of paper stating I know what I am doing but I do know what I am doing. When it comes to inventory they seem to care about how much dollars we have and not that the counts on all products are right. Makes for really hard time trying to find sfuff when it says that we have 40 of a item but it is 40 of a different item but they cost the same.

When promoting to a Team Lead position please be more diligent in your selection. It seems like the first one to raise hand or speak up first gets it. I feel that is the worst way to decide those kind of roles. A Team Lead is a Key Holder that reports to the Assistant Store Manager.

Great company with lots of opportunities to grow and develop.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deerfield, IL

I worked at Walgreens full-time

Pros

I found Walgreens to be an exceptional place to work - good compensation with a generous bonus plan and benefits, supportative culture and lots of opportunities for advancement. It offered a great work-life balance. I had the pleasure to work with and learn from some exceptional people.

Cons

At times there is a disconnect with Corporate initiatives to what actually happens at the retail stores. Implementating change is a long and slow process with a company this large; it takes a lot of patience and persistence.

Continue to focus on fostering a culture of accountability, collaboration and innovation. Be more nimble and fast track change whenever possible.

Great Company

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Mangers are great, coworkers are good. You have ability to move in different areas.

Cons

Nothing I could think off.

Great place to train, but little opportunity

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great 401k plan, and you're able to gain hands-on experience running a multi-million dollar store. Full spectrum of training available (if you train yourself) for scheduling, p/l statement analysis, HRIS systems, etc

Cons

Little room to advance despite posted opportunities. Hiring managers don't even call back internal qualified applicants. New corporate initiative monthly that's expected on top of everything else, and in addition to the previous one even though no one seems to care 3 months later. Company acts like minimum wage cashiers are the most valuable asset they have in terms of the murder they must nearly literally commit to be fired; horrible attendance policy. Forever changing coupon policy makes customer service a nightmare. Overall, a great and healthy company....but doesn't know who it wants to be anymore, and changes on a whim (usually not for the better)

Take care of experienced folks, and treat your internal applicants better.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!