Walgreens

www.walgreens.com
Employer Engaged

excellent

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

people, people, people people people

Cons

work environment bad as manages

none

Great Place

Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Hebron, IN
    Current Employee - SALES CLERK in Hebron, IN

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Very nice people. The manager was very efficient and kept everyone in check. The benefits were decent also.

Cons

Being a high school student it was hard for me to get hours. Other employees switched with me a lot so i could get different shifts.

Not a bad place to work

Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation Manager in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

VP made it very nice to work in that specific department
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Pay scale was not in line with other companies

Mad Dash

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good starter company, most other workers are OK

Cons

Little on hand staff, minimal wage, little to no training

Definitely invest in actual training for the photo departments with older "wet" labs.

Working

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Lots of leadership experience received working as part of the management team. Lots of experience with merchandising, multi-tasking, and customer interaction. Plenty of opportunities for a recent college graduate to get leadership experience and advance their career in store management. Lots of different employees come from various backgrounds so you'll have a chance to get to know a more diverse group of people.

Cons

You have to work odd hours, morning shift one day, night shift another day, graveyard shift if you're working at a 24 hour store. Lots of manual labor involved, even for the management team. Pay is not as high compared to larger retail establishments.

Photo Specialist

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great People! Nice to have people to talk to.

Cons

Bad hours... Wish I could have a life!

Promote from within!

Overnight Customer Service Associate

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Boerne, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Boerne, TX

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Besides the fact that it is a great place to work if a person needs to study or go to school during the day. The overnight shift is a great time to work at Walgreens. Everyone is very friendly and there is plenty of time to achieve proper training. Most of the night is spent stocking the store, however, even the managers are stocking merchandise along side you. The employee discount is very convenient and leadership is very helpful. There seems to be plenty of oppurtunity to move up if a person is assertive. One of the best benefits is the company paid pharmacy technician training.

Cons

The only real challenge is the necessity to sometime walk from the warehouse, or back of the store, to the front register to assist a customer. It is a minor inconvenience, since it interupts your current task. On occasion, there will be a rude customer to attend to. The hardest part to get used to is that Walgreens is not a 5 days on, 2 days off store. The work schedules are usually 8 or 10 days on and 6 or 4 days off, respectfully.

There are some items which employees receive commision for selling, which fluctuate, so I feel these should be posted and that merchadise should be moved closer to the register. A commision for signing a person up for 'Walgreen Rewards' should definately be implemented.

this was a great experience!

Former Intern - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Pharmacy Technician Trainee in Houston, TX

I worked at Walgreens as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

they really did teach me andhelp me in my career

Cons

i don't have any cons

Hamster wheel with decent pay and benefits

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Pay is much higher than previous buyout company, and higher than CVS offered in an interview. Because anything that gets done is done thousands of times over, some attention is paid to making things simple and efficient.

Cons

Penny pinching on hours, lots of crazy stuff sent down from upper management without any discernible value. Internal website, training, and guides often horribly outdated. For the pharmacists, they end up working at least an extra 5-15 hours a week just to keep things caught up, and then hours got cut again.

From the pharmacy, there aren't many path advancements. Techs can get certified and a floaters can become staff pharmacists, and staff pharmacists can become PIC/RXMs, but just given the number of RXMs per DPM, moving up isn't exactly common. I would guess the same is true for a lot of front-end personnel, moving past store management or CL seems like a big jump.

Keep everything up to date, realize that penny-pinching won't serve long term goals, and get some insight from the people that actually have to deal with the random mandates you send down. "Be Well" is a great part of printed and advertisement branding, making everyone say it just so someone in marketing can add another bullet on their resume is a waste and disingenuous to the customer.

Great place to start a career!

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learned a great deal as a market research analyst that I've used subsequently during my career - presentation, analytical, travel.

Cons

A very structured culture and perhaps a bit stuffy. Not bad, but certainly not to my liking.