Walgreens

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson

Greg Wasson

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experiece here has prepared me even more in the world of HR.

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
    Edwardsville, IL

ProsThe best thing is the perks and the opportunties to grow with the company is endless.

ConsThat I had to train myself and reach out to others for help.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommuncation is very important and the customer service we show to our external customers is just as important to show to out internals customers as well.

The overall experience was a decent one, but could have been better.

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWalgreens have been excellent with their diversity policy. The benefits and perks are decent and most of the pharmacies were great to work with.

ConsThe changing of the work structure, No real incentive for anyone to work hard. No true accountability. It seems like upper and middle management do not know what they are doing. The salary are way too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what made Walgreens strong, focus on customers and store operations

Pharmacy Intern

Pharmacy Intern (P4) (Current Employee)
    Glen Carbon, IL

ProsGreat experience building up to a pharmacy manager position

ConsAdvice from pharmacists who have been with Walgreens for a lengthy amount of time is that moving up in the company is HARD.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shift Lead

Shift Lead (Current Employee)
    Ballwin, MO

ProsAwesome place to work! Besides great co-workers and a very supportive management, once your a full time employee your offered great benefits and profit sharing!

ConsThere no cons that I am aware of at this point and I am very competent with my position I have at Walgreens. All employees must take responsibility for what their occupation entitles and that's for which ever company you work for. You must put in a lot of sweat and hard work to get to where you want to be in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am very grateful for a supportive and proactive management team for the training I have received from them.

Executive Assistant Mgr

Executive Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsManagement and shift lead positions are the only employees guarenteed 40 hours a week.

ConsEmployees are over worked for the pay. Unrealistic goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalgreens does not care about its emplyees

Great company but many questionable choices

Photo Specialist (Current Employee)
    Weldon Spring, MO

ProsThe best reasons to work for Walgreens is easily the work environment and the beliefs behind the company. Walgreens asks employees to complete surveys every year to see what is really going on in their stores and what should be improved.

ConsSome of the choices in management are very questionable. Three of my five assistant managers did not have the needed skills for their jobs and were forced to learn the skills and the requirements through a program but that work could only be completed on the clock, when employees need them. Employees stop caring after a while and stop trying so those of us that still do care have to pick up all the slack and then we get burned out.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more picky in who you hire, listen to what your employees have to say. We are the ones working in the stores, not you. Come up with a better uniform, I am so sick of constantly being asked if I work there because our uniform doesn't really look much like one.

Ok But Losing Good People

Shift Lead (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsThere not many to list here anymore. Walgreens used to be a great company and a leader in the industry. Now just a follower.

ConsKeep adding more responsibility for the same pay. Corporate is clueless and has no idea on the daily operations involved in running a store. Opportunities for advancement are slim to none.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas and stop coming up with these gimmick programs that just don't work. Be a little more knowledgable about store level operations.

It was a good learning experience

Certified Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGood learning experience, good training, opportunity to learn about pharmacy operations in a retail setting. Most managers are pretty nice and not too demanding, but I guess that depends on which store you're working at.

ConsWorked as a pharm. tech for 5 years, it was hard work and the hours were not that great as with any retail employer. The money was not there. Interns get paid a lot more than senior and certified technicians.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe technicians filling the scripts should get more respect, higher pay, and more hours.

Have worked for Walgreen's for a number of years. It's getting worse every year.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsLocations. And that's about it. Other than a handful of good people, Walgreen's Management leaves little to be desired. Way too robotic.

ConsWages
    Personal Growth
    Customer Satisfaction. Customer service is rehearsed, not natural. Clerks are given talking points as oppose to being encouraged to be real and honest. Customer's can see through the facade. Especially when your saying " Welcome to Walgreen's " to a parade of people coming through the door all at the same time. As oppose to " Good morning Bob, Hello Mrs. Johnson! How are you feeling today? ". Walgreen's upper management are people who apparently never actually did " CUSTOMER SERVICE ". Never did face to face with customers hoping their insurance will cover all of the prescriptions. The old lady who's ten cents short of paying for a can of soup. Those of us who have worked for Walgreen's for a number of years have given that ten cents out of our own pockets. Our reward for being compassionate and proactive is write up threats from management if we can't recite " BE WELL BE REAL BUILD TRUST YADA YADA ". Our encouragement is to compete for our so called 3% raise that we only receive 80% of because no one ever gets the maximum score of 5 across the board. Even those of us who who have been employees of the month at least once. Training at Walgreen's is pot luck. You get a day or two and your on your own.

Bottom line? Walgreen's could be what it is not today. A neighborhood family store.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at Costco's model and act accordingly

Walgreens associate

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Proseasy job, no big physical effort

Consdepends on where you at you will either deal with shitty people/coworkers or amazing ones.
    pay is probably among the lowest in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to milk employees for more effort while offering less hours and low wages.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walgreens reviews and ratings in St. Louis, MO — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walgreens CEO Greg Wasson. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Walgreens employees.