Walgreens Reviews in St. Louis, MO

3,485 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
1,859 Ratings

Pros
  • Decent profit sharing although not as good as it used to be (in 207 reviews)

• Good benefits but they were changing these as I was leaving not sure they are still good (in 124 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance for the folk under store manager level is nonexistent (in 77 reviews)

• Upper management makes it horrible for everyone including lower management (in 122 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Okay retailer

Current Employee - Shift Lead  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ability to move anywhere in country if need be. Promotion "available" if you're a good employee, but only at certain times of the year. Job security as long as you're not a complete moron, don't steal or sexually harass someone.

Cons

Pay stinks. Hours stink. You can only be promoted at certain times of the year. This is determined by region and not when you are worthy, ready or eligible. The amount of work and responsibility do not equate to the starting manager (shift lead) salary, which could be as low as $10.

Pay your managers what they're worth and promote them when they are ready. Actually practice your bs cultural beliefs you ram down the employees throats.

It is a roller coaster of ups and downs, varying upon the store in which you are currently working.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

To an extent, there is some room to advance in the company but the ceiling is getting very low for that in recent years. I worked my way up from a photo specialist, to a senor beauty adviser and then onto management. Now after ten years I have reached my ceiling and there is no where left to go. Once your are stuck it is a long time before it changes.

Cons

In upper management there is no work-life balance, especially at the holidays when you need it most. The salaries and bonuses are being cut to make the CEO's and way uppers richer. Plus their bad management isn't helping- for example three uniform changes in the last 8 years, a stockroom overhaul which may save money in the end by pulling bays faster but cutting payroll also affects customer service, so if they want "Exceptional Customer Care" they need to give adequate hours.

Keep cutting hours and watch how many people will abandon ship, and how fast your ECC will go out the window because you don't pay enough for us to work crap hours (boo to turnarounds) plus every holiday possible.

Absolutely the hardest job I've ever had and minimal pay/room for growth unless you're in college.

Former Employee - Certified Photo Technician  in  Ballwin, MO
    Former Employee - Certified Photo Technician in Ballwin, MO

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The job forces you to become much more accomplished at handling customers, problem solving, and as I was a photo technician becoming self-reliant to find and fix problems yourself. It certainly keeps you busy and overall I've enjoyed good open-door policy relationships with managers who listen. Unfortunately they can't do much to fix the problem.

Cons

Im 35. After 4 1/2 years I went from a pay/hour of $9.15 to $10.00. Thats not going to allow me or any adult an income to live on. Unless you want to be a manager. Often, certain employess can miss a ridiculous amount of days and not be reprimanded. The lack of positive feedback(very specific to some of my store managers not all as some we're great) just makes you wonder. Wonder why you literally have hundreds of responsibilities in a store that has 4 on staff at most. Way too much demands for one person to handle be responsible for when managers often stick with employees who no-show constantly, leave early, or have ridiculous excuses to not show up. You, bear the brunt. Hiring high school kids and college students whom are not dependent on this job as their means of living is a huge issue.,

After having 6 paid days off now you have to earn them through time regardless if you've been there 20 years or 2 weeks. The demands they expect in a busy store with an employee-to-customer ratio is just astronomically low makes it not feasible for employees to just end up hating work. Cutting managers salaries 10k and giving them the choice to leave or take a huge pay cut is a dishonorable and abhor ant new policy as walgreens tries to save money to buy the biggest pharm company in europe. Great if your in high school. Not great if you want to live in your parents house if your not married until your 60.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experiece here has prepared me even more in the world of HR.

Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist  in  Edwardsville, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Edwardsville, IL

I have been working at Walgreens full-time

Pros

The best thing is the perks and the opportunties to grow with the company is endless.

Cons

That I had to train myself and reach out to others for help.

Communcation is very important and the customer service we show to our external customers is just as important to show to out internals customers as well.

The overall experience was a decent one, but could have been better.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Walgreens full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Walgreens have been excellent with their diversity policy. The benefits and perks are decent and most of the pharmacies were great to work with.

Cons

The changing of the work structure, No real incentive for anyone to work hard. No true accountability. It seems like upper and middle management do not know what they are doing. The salary are way too low.

Get back to what made Walgreens strong, focus on customers and store operations

Pharmacy Intern

Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern (P4)  in  Glen Carbon, IL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern (P4) in Glen Carbon, IL

I have been working at Walgreens as an intern for more than 8 years

Pros

Great experience building up to a pharmacy manager position

Cons

Advice from pharmacists who have been with Walgreens for a lengthy amount of time is that moving up in the company is HARD.

Shift Lead

Current Employee - Shift Lead  in  Ballwin, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Ballwin, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome place to work! Besides great co-workers and a very supportive management, once your a full time employee your offered great benefits and profit sharing!

Cons

There no cons that I am aware of at this point and I am very competent with my position I have at Walgreens. All employees must take responsibility for what their occupation entitles and that's for which ever company you work for. You must put in a lot of sweat and hard work to get to where you want to be in the company.

I am very grateful for a supportive and proactive management team for the training I have received from them.

Executive Assistant Mgr

Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management and shift lead positions are the only employees guarenteed 40 hours a week.

Cons

Employees are over worked for the pay. Unrealistic goals.

Walgreens does not care about its emplyees

Great company but many questionable choices

Current Employee - Photo Specialist  in  Weldon Spring, MO
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Weldon Spring, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons to work for Walgreens is easily the work environment and the beliefs behind the company. Walgreens asks employees to complete surveys every year to see what is really going on in their stores and what should be improved.

Cons

Some of the choices in management are very questionable. Three of my five assistant managers did not have the needed skills for their jobs and were forced to learn the skills and the requirements through a program but that work could only be completed on the clock, when employees need them. Employees stop caring after a while and stop trying so those of us that still do care have to pick up all the slack and then we get burned out.

Be more picky in who you hire, listen to what your employees have to say. We are the ones working in the stores, not you. Come up with a better uniform, I am so sick of constantly being asked if I work there because our uniform doesn't really look much like one.

Ok But Losing Good People

Current Employee - Shift Lead  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walgreens full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There not many to list here anymore. Walgreens used to be a great company and a leader in the industry. Now just a follower.

Cons

Keep adding more responsibility for the same pay. Corporate is clueless and has no idea on the daily operations involved in running a store. Opportunities for advancement are slim to none.

Listen to new ideas and stop coming up with these gimmick programs that just don't work. Be a little more knowledgable about store level operations.

Worked for Walgreens? Contribute to the Community!