Walgreens

4,150 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,145 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Throughly enjoyed the team environment of working in the pharmacy.

Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Aldie, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Aldie, VA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician, I provided leadership to the technician staff and worked hand-in-hand with the pharmacists. While I think the pay is very low for the level of service and skill that is required, Walgreens is more than competitive in the industry.

Cons

There was not a tremendous amount of support from upper management, and they imposed some stiff, impersonal, expectations on the staff. There were many special plans, promotions, coupons, etc. which did not lend themselves to patient loyalty or satisfaction.

Consider better compensation and benefits for the technicians. They are the front line and of vital importance to the success of your core pharmacy business.

Ok place to work with flexible hours

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Flexible hours, convenient locations and easy move to any state within country

Cons

Sometimes policy could be overwhelming to make customers happy

Make your employees happy as well

Walgreens Community Intern

Current Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Intern in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Walgreens as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good starting salary for interns
    A lot of good store managers as mentors

Cons

CL who run stores
    Shift leads think interns want their positions when that is rarely the case.

You keep the store together, never forget that

interesting

Former Employee - Health Guide in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Health Guide in Washington, DC

I worked at Walgreens full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Mr. J was pretty nice. the store has alot of exciting changes because of the affordable care act.walgreens is very prous of the "walgreens culture" this was sort of inspiring to me. people from corporate were always very sweet to when they came to visit. they wanted feedback.

Cons

lunch break sometimes pushed back when corporate visits

had good management at first then there was a new manager every week. new manager was uptight.

An Alright First Job

Former Employee - Service Clerk in Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Service Clerk in Manassas, VA

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than a year)

Pros

My fellow employees were very friendly and some were a blast to work with. For the most part, I had flexible hours that would work with my class schedule which was nice.

Cons

The pay was quite low. It also didn't seem to matter if anybody did well. There was not much praise or reward for working harder or better from the management. Seemed like certain members of the management loved to beat down on employees more than help.

Be a better team player and team leader than just someone who just throws out orders.

So Stressful!

Former Employee - SFL in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SFL in Washington, DC

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved most of my customers. Many would come looking for me because I knew my store and where things were. If we didn't have it, I would offer suggestions of other places to look. I made lots of friends, co-workers, customers and vendors.

Cons

Not enough training for anyone. Managers are very often not following policy except when there is going to be a corp. visit. Unreasonable expectations...LONG lists of things to "get done" and there are two people to run the entire store, including photo. Terrible raises! CEO get Millions for a raise, I work like a dog and get 21 CENTS, what a JOKE!

Please train people better and don't expect people to "train themselves" in ANY department, especially photo!
    Make it a priority for ALL employees to put tags AND product in the proper places, not shrug it off when people don't!

EHHH, Much more than you expect. Not in a good way

Current Employee - Overnight Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Overnight Manager in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers can be good also helps you learn the in and outs of retail.

Cons

Workload is ridiculous especially if others don't do their work. Management really does work and puts most of it on shift leads. The problems persist in most Walgreen's stores.

Pick up your slack and help out the shift leads

Completely motivated by greed

Former Employee - Store Manager in Bristow, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Bristow, VA

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

One of the higher paying retailers until recently when they restructured all their benefits including salary bases, bonuses, PTO, and profit sharing. Now they are paying everyone significantly less to do the same/more work.

Cons

You are expected to work as if you have no life outside of Walgreens. Forget about having friends or visiting with family ever again. Hope you don't like holidays, because you'll never have time to celebrate them again. The 'suits' of the company from the District Manager on up manage through intimidation.

If this company ever wants to get back on track it would have to go back in time a decade or two, back to when they cared about their employees and shared their financial successes with them.

Not what it used to be.

Current Employee - SFL in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - SFL in Washington, DC

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many pros to list. If you're a pharmacist and only care about money the $115,000 a year is awesome. Keep in mind you have more to do than fill scripts and good luck having a pharm tech helping you do all this as there are very few hours given. As for the front end there are no pros outside of the people you work with.

Cons

Horrible pay unless you're a pharmacist or a store manager. Health benefits could be a lot better since corporate wants the consumer to view us as a destination for healthy living. Vacations can't be taken between October and January. Profit sharing is anemic. Not nearly enough hours to do everything corporate wants done in the stores. Most morning shifts you're lucky to have more than 2 people for the first 4-5 hours of the shift. Managers can be bullies and not much is done about it if they're friends with the district managers.

Start taking care of front line employees. Engagement will continue to sag and suffer if something substantial isn't done. "Thank you's and great job's" will only carry the company so far when it comes to morale. Stop it with all the mandatory end stands and silly tie in promotions. Not all stores are the same. Cut back on seasonal merchandise and stick to the basics. We're getting killed with unsold inventory with no way to sell it for a profit or even get rid of it. The new process for getting rid of damaged or expired items is ridiculous. You took something that employees have been asking for a long time (donating food items that hadn't expired yet) into a time consuming task. We don't have the hours to do it properly. We don't have the hours to do very much the way you want it.

In summary, stop hiring VP's and buying up other companies (Alliance-Boots) and stop giving yourselves bonuses in cash, and start giving back to the employees. Extraordinary Customer Care can't happen if the employees are unhappy and there isn't enough employees to take care of the customers.

Not Bad but Not Good either

Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Head Photo Specialist in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people
    good pay for a first time job seeker in high school

Cons

same as any other retailer as they make you work really hard and expect you that way

make your workers feel happy