Walker Information

Add Photos

Steve Walker

Offers challenges and opportunities

I have been working at Walker Information full-time

ProsCompetitive pay in the Indianapolis market.

Top notch technology

Generous PTO - 27 days

Free beverages and healthy snacks

Casual Dress Code

Discount Gym Memberships

401k Match

Telecommuting

ConsAt times work-life balance can be an issue for some until they figure out how to manage it properly.

Working here is great but hard to climb the ladder

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Walker Information full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat office environment, free drinks, active in the community, great place to learn if you're fresh out of school

ConsSalary isn't as competitive, hard to get promoted. You get a lot of vacation time but sometimes it is hard to balance under pressure to get projects done.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the paths for promotion a bit more and let current employees continue to succeed. It isn't just the sales teams that can shine when promoted, but includes the developers and others as well.

It was just okay

Employee (Former Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Walker Information full-time for more than a year

ProsGood pto policy. Friendly work environment

ConsNo career there. It was just a job

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees all have great talent but under-market salary stymies retention

Information Solutions Project Manager (Former Employee)
Carmel, IN

I worked at Walker Information

Pros- All of the technology staff are quite talented and very nice. The Information Solutions/Data Warehousing teams are all more than competent and have excellent team leaders. I don't have enough positive adjectives to describe my former teammates and bosses.

- 27 days of PTO is a very generous offering.

- Their work environment is quite casual: jeans and a nice shirt are the norm for most employees.

- A great place to "cut your teeth" for entry level technology and project management professionals.

- The president and CEO are very visible. You will be on a first name basis with both of them, they will know you by name and are very approachable.

- Free Starbucks/Dunkin Donuts/Pepsi products. I know it sounds like a small perk, but it is really nice.

Cons- From a technology standpoint, it is easy to get pigeon-holed. You will become quite familiar with Oracle BI and if you're on the data warehouse team you will become familiar with the ETL tools to support it. Outside of that, most of Walker's technology tools are proprietary. However, I do know they have some opportunities for ColdFusion and Java developers.

- Pay is considerably under market value. I know most people complain about their pay, but the workload for their Assistant Project Managers/Project Managers/Information Solutions Project Managers is not competitive with most other consulting firms.

- You have to understand that if you're getting into management and/or technology consulting that the hours can be long, but 55-60 hour weeks with below-market salaries result in a "turn-and-burn" environment amongst the young professionals. This obviously can have a negative effect on morale.

Advice to Senior Management- Phase out proprietary technologies. It does nothing to develop your technology professionals portfolio and is cost-inefficient. Also, the proprietary systems tend to crash often and are very slow.

- Either hire more people to decrease workload or make salaries more competitive.

- Implement a more efficient system of identifying and retaining your top talent. It is very easy to "fudge" your chargeable numbers to inflate productivity.

Regressive, extremely conservative culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Walker Information

ProsKind people, well-intentioned. Strong integrity.
Very effective product - high level of client satisfaction. Very compelling insights and actionable business intelligence generated.

ConsCompany seems to be stuck in current way of thinking.
Competitors in the technology space are creating significant pressure.
Lack of upward mobility - employees say 10-20 years b/c they are all Indy-based.
Lower and mid-level employees work extremely long hours for low pay.
Total lack of marketing ability to generate awareness and new business - growth is stalled.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit employees in other marketplaces to ensure the most competitive talent.
Be more aware of competitive threats
Look outside the walls of the company for best practices and learning opportunities
Invest in a strong marketing strategy to build awareness among prospects.

Worked with extremely fun, intelligent people but associates in all positions would be routinely overworked.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Walker Information

ProsWalker employs some of the Industry's top talents when it comes to customer/employee loyalty management, A1-caliber clients, competitive benefits, generous PTO offering.

ConsAssociates in most departments are excessively overworked (60-70 hr weeks), sometimes for three quarters of the year. Entry-level and lower level compensation is not really on par with other professional services firms, especially for the amount of hours being worked. It is difficult for associates to move laterally between departments. For such a small company, change is EXTREMELY slow moving.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think if the entire organization was moved to an hourly pay scale with overtime pay, upper management would be able to clearly see just how much overtime is being logged by associates and would be further motivated to take steps to ensure a more appropriate work/life balance.

Not the best for work/life balance

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walker Information

Prosgreat PTO 27 days a year to use however you want. use it or lose it.

Consovertime every week - hard to plan anything social on the week nights

Advice to Senior Managementpay a higher salary to compensate for the overtime, or higher more staff to make the work load lighter.

Strong commitment to integrity, client service, and employee development.

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walker Information

ProsGenerous, kind, intelligent people who will go out of their way to help and support you. Average tenure of 10+ years with the company - impressive employee retention.
World-class product with a clear ROI for customers.
Company practices what it preaches and religiously measures and improves its own customer loyalty scores.

ConsAs a 75-year-old family business, the company struggles to reinvent itself and aggressively pursue its competitors. A long corporate history makes change slow-moving, despite the small size of the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a firmer stance on brand marketing and sales.

Worked for Walker Information? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walker Information reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walker Information CEO Steve Walker. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Walker Information employees.