Walker Information

3.6

Steve Walker

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Walker Information full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the people and environment. Enjoyed the variety in the work in client services and managing projects, working with different teams. They have a very generous PTO policy. A lot of people over the years have stayed for a really long time or have left and returned, sometimes more than once.

Cons

Some people might think the hours are long. I only left to live in a different city and try something new.

Plenty of challenges to keep me busy and satisfied.

I have been working at Walker Information full-time

Pros

This company has great talented people that interact with on a daily basis. I also get to work with some of the best and largest companies in the world. The work that I do keeps me challenged and I never have a chance to be bored. The company does a lot to help my day go better with some of the benefits like free soft drinks and healthy snacks and monthly free lunches. The CEO knows everyone by name.

Cons

Some people feel that they are overworked, but sometimes that is just part of being in the workforce.

Disappointing Leadership Keeps Company from Reaching Potential

I have been working at Walker Information full-time

Pros

You will work with a group of very talented and friendly people, and you will have the opportunity to work with global industry leading companies.

What exists of the company culture is mostly focused on philanthropic initiatives. Walker's relationship with United Way is particularly strong.

Cons

Walker manages to both overwork and underutilize its employees. Although not explicitly stated, weekly overtime is often expected in order to manage one's workload (at least 5 to 10 hours a week is not uncommon). Compensation doesn't come close to matching the value employees provide.

If you want Walker to reach its true potential, start focusing on your true asset (your employees). Walker will never truly reach the status of an elite marketing consulting firm with such finance focused individuals at the helm. Walker's differentiator is its people, and the company culture isn't strong enough to retain talented professionals. Additionally, the market is changing and Walker isn't structured to adapt and meet the ever changing needs of its high profile clients.

(Just to clarify, I believe that Steve Walker and the entire Walker family are very personable and inspiring. None of my concerns with Walker are related to their leadership, and believe the declining culture would be vastly improved if the family was once again more involved in the day-to-day operations)

Understand what you'll be doing

Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Walker Information full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work remotely, Philanthropy Involvement, Younger Staff

Cons

Be prepared to really put in your time and not get recognition for it. If you can make it to upper management then you'll be sitting pretty but it takes some time to get there.

great place to work friendly people

Current Employee - Cleark in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Cleark in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Walker Information part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

good perks free drinks food very nice vacation time and sick time

Cons

not much pay for the job i have but it does pay the bills and the uper management gets better perks like tickets and other things and they get payed more project management people work hard but not very good pay

Be prepared to work long hours.

I worked at Walker Information

Pros

The benefits are really great. They offer lots of vacation time. Also, Senior Management knows you by name, regardless of what level you are at. Most of the people are friendly too.

Cons

The pay is low. They also expect you to work long hours, at home and on the weekends. Some of the mid level managers are inexperienced and not the best managers.

Don't run such a lean company. Work-life balance is not great here.

Great customer-focused organization that is a model of corporate citizenship

I worked at Walker Information full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Close-knit culture, learning opportunities, great clients, great service offering. You have the opportunity to know top management on a personal level.

Cons

Since the organization provides advice on how to be customer-focused, the bar is set quite high for its own performance. This can creates periods of stress; over the long run, however, the company's focus on customers creates credibility among its customers.

Working here is great but hard to climb the ladder

Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Walker Information full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office environment, free drinks, active in the community, great place to learn if you're fresh out of school

Cons

Salary isn't as competitive, hard to get promoted. You get a lot of vacation time but sometimes it is hard to balance under pressure to get projects done.

Open up the paths for promotion a bit more and let current employees continue to succeed. It isn't just the sales teams that can shine when promoted, but includes the developers and others as well.

Offers challenges and opportunities

I have been working at Walker Information full-time

Pros

Competitive pay in the Indianapolis market.

Top notch technology

Generous PTO - 27 days

Free beverages and healthy snacks

Casual Dress Code

Discount Gym Memberships

401k Match

Telecommuting

Cons

At times work-life balance can be an issue for some until they figure out how to manage it properly.

It was just okay

Former Employee - Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Walker Information full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good pto policy. Friendly work environment

Cons

No career there. It was just a job

None