Walker Machinery

Steve Walker

the great and fun

Former Employee - Mechanic in Sophia, WV
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Sophia, WV

I worked at Walker Machinery full-time (more than a year)

Pros

the work was easy to learn and fun at the same time I stayed busy with honing cylinders or reassembling cylinders

Cons

got laid off the lay off didn't go by work proformance or how long you had work for the company and they kept worker that did the bear minimal work

Worked at beckley for 3 years

Former Employee - Shipping Receiving in Beckley, WV
    Former Employee - Shipping Receiving in Beckley, WV

I worked at Walker Machinery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Technicians are great guys also good work enviroment. Training is ok they do try to teach there guys what they need to no to do the job

Cons

Raises suck if you want good money there better get it in your interview. There is no advancing with this company no moving up way to many chiefs in office and not enough indians.

Beckley main shop management is very poor dont treat there guys very good. No one cares there about helping you advance in the company or learn more stuff

Not What I Expected

I have been working at Walker Machinery full-time

Pros

The technicians that I work with are first class. The work is challenging, dynamic and at times very demanding. I look forward to going into work when I know the managers aren't going to be there. Training is readily available and viable. It's a good place to pad your resume while looking for a real career. Otherwise, see "Cons."

Cons

The morale is in the dumps. The management is TERRIBLE! It is by far the most poorly managed shop I've ever worked in. They desire "weak minds and strong backs." If they think they can get over on you, they will try. If you stand up for yourself they hold a grudge. The Union is weak, at best. The insurance policies are trash. The HDHP plan is overpriced, and the PPO is double (Approximately $430/mo. for a family) and both will be increasing over the next two years. They expect your priorities to be: 1: Walker Machinery, 2: Walker Machinery, 3: Family, but only if Walker Machinery doesn't object. The pay is mediocre at best. If you don't get it when you hire on you won't get it. A "good" raise is $0.15/hr. The managers are passive-aggressive and tyrannical. If you're a "sheep" and don't mind people walking all over you Walker Machinery is a good place for you. Otherwise it would be best to look elsewhere. (I speak only of the Truck Shop. I do not know how the other shops are run or how the morale is).

Get your heads out of your hind ends and realize that the way you treat your employees is only motivating them to find another job.

financial compensation is not there. Monty Boyd is the new owner, Steve Walker sold the company.

I have been working at Walker Machinery full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good training program for what they are given to work with.

Cons

too slow to give raises, very small when they are given, poor retirement plan and health insurance. no longer owned by the Walker family.

take care of your techs

Growth?

Former Employee - Rental Coordinator in Charleston, WV
    Former Employee - Rental Coordinator in Charleston, WV

I worked at Walker Machinery

Pros

Great building block for recent graduates.

Cons

Low pay for amount of work involved with position. Slow advancement.

Compensation for inside sales staff