Walking Company Holdings

Updated October 9, 2014
Updated October 9, 2014
2.5

Andrew D. Feshbach

Pros
  • I really liked my Manager and assistant Manager Great people (in 4 reviews)

• 40-65% employee discount is the only good thing (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also upper management can be a little pushy to hit numbers when in store product is low (in 6 reviews)

• The District Manager was only successful because he had three people to do his job for him, but individually is the worst leader I've ever had (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail is retail, but this is above average retail.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- products are fun to sell to a select group of customers
    - commission does exist in this job
    - It is a decent weekend job if that's what you're looking for

I like working here if there are actually customers walking in. What the company expects sales associates to do for customers is actually a fun and exciting social process. But... to be continued in the CONS.

Cons

- selling the products can be a painful experience with a different set of customers
    - I may have said retail is retail and followed it by saying this is better than average retail, but that does not turn the "retail does not pay" saying from truth to myth

The management team can get pretty annoying when they blame employees if consumers aren't buying. Employees can't control consumer spending. They can provide excellent customer service, but only the customer has buying power. It may be necessary to remind employees to provide excellent service. This company highly values customer service.I am happy to be employed by a company that values such a thing, but it is extremely repulsive to have a management team that irritatingly sends emails about how they're employees are incompetent according to the numbers that came in from the previous week.

I just pointed out the most irritating things a retail worker will witness. That is the nature of retail. Do your job right and you will still get substantially more blame and minimal praise.

Do not scold your employees. Cut their hours if business is not booming.

Give some positive feedback once in a while.

About as good as it gets for retail

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Supportive company, pays well for retail (strong commission, empowers associates to take charge and often backs them in decisions

Cons

Pay will always be bad in retail, as well as hours. Not too much to complain about though.

Nothing really, after working retail for a number of years, this company does things considerably better than most. However, little things, such as giving the store more hours when things such as store meetings or operational tasks come up, would be a small measure that would do a world of good for helping managers.

Love the people I worked with!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Walking Company Holdings part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay commission and are very flexible if you have another job or in school.

Cons

The dm comes a few times for the month and you have to be on your p's and q's! You can't grow in this company they tend to go with outside talent as oppsed to someone within Thethe company. They would give u certificate plaques and awards but no raise!

Give your employes raises so they can think about staying with your company

Satisfaction of being able to help others with foot, knee, and back pain and provide ultimate comfort.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Business Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Business Manager

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, they let you kind of run the store like it's your own so you have freedom to do some things in ways that work better for you. Commission earning are awesome. Discount is really good.

Cons

I didn't receive proper or thorough training. 3 months into the job our DM is making suprise visits when the manager is out of town? Also, no communication from chain of command. (meaning DM, RM, other managers, DTC, etc.) Basically if you want to be a robot and be micromanaged after you've established yourself as a manager, then this is definitely your place.

Help your fellow managers, assistants and full-time keys out. I didn't receive enough training before being thrown to the wolves, and I think that I would be better off now if I had.

If the choice is working here or being homeless... bundle up!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount on shoes, two week training period before you're responsible for selling is nice.

Cons

The pay was the worst I've had in 15 years as a retail manager, I worked longer hours that I've had to in more than a decade, and the company is so metrics driven that you are constantly harrassed about not achieving one goal or another. There are probably fewer than 10 stores in the company that consistenly meet more than half of the metrics. The District Manager was only successful because he had three people to do his job for him, but individually is the worst leader I've ever had. This company does NOT give raises, they'll tell you that you just have to sell more to make more, while continuing to reduce the already abyssmal commission percentages.

Treat people with respect, provide better training materials that are updated regularly, and pay people what they're worth from the bottom up. Very few people seem to last more than about 6 months. That should tell you something about what you're doing.

Don't work at this store!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Business Manager in Beachwood, OH
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Business Manager in Beachwood, OH

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing really. I will say they do have some cute UGGS boots. The customers are nice most of the time. Some of the co-workers are nice to work with and all.

Cons

The store manager is rude, steels co-workers sales. She always negative and cussing. She is very rude to the co-workers and customers. Tons of customers returns non-stop. The store looks like a mess. The store overall is a complete disappointment. She doesn't know how to train people right at all.

Learn how to hire the right store manager and key holders.

Do NOT work here!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cool people to work with

Cons

Bad pay, poorly run, say room for growth but hire out of the company. I have been ASBM for 2 years and when my direct boss left he told them i wanted his job. the said ok, ran me ragged for 15 days straight with no time off, off a day, and another 6 day stretch. So now i have to train my own boss, which i think is totally unethical

Pay your people better, show them that they matter. We make you guys the money, you should share it with us.
    Take a GOOD LONG LOOK at your district managers, this is a business not a game of favorites, pick the people qualified for a promotion, not the ones you like the most.

Don't Let DTC/DM Fool You...

Former Employee - Store Business Manager
    Former Employee - Store Business Manager

I worked at Walking Company Holdings full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The highlight of this company is you really do get to help people who have feet/back issues. It can be extremely rewarding in that regard. Benefits are great with the company (except prices just increased, of course) and I loved my staff for the most part. You become a very tight knit unit when your staff consists of 4 other people. Employee discount is really great as well.

Cons

Wow... Where do I start. First of all, I was the Store Manager and my salary was a joke. I had no peace and quiet outside of the store and I was expected to run the place like it was my own business. My Key Holders were also greatly underpaid. Trust me... This company makes a TON of money. They can afford to pay better. Not to mention the reason I left is because I found out my BOSS was gossiping about me (and some of his other employees) to his staff at his own store. Wow... Talk about unprofessional. He was supposed to be the person I could talk to about store issues without passing judgement. So much for that.

Appreciate your Store Managers a little more... Better yet, appreciate all of your employees more. We're the ones who run the store and create profits. And pay your employees more... Assistant Managers at other retail stores make more money than I did as the Store Manager here. For the work we put in that is just unacceptable.

Great products, poor corporate support.

I have been working at Walking Company Holdings full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products. I absolutely believe in the product. Great feeling when helping someone be more comfortable, sometimes even helping people to walk better/without pain.

Cons

Salaries are average at best. There is a lot of pressure to perform at a consistently high level, more so than any other retailer that I have encountered. Sore managers have to sell (salary and commission) in order to bring in a decent paycheck. Mangers are expected to drive business through their associates while having to sell themselves. Managers are also responsible for tracking down marketing leads even though there is a corporate Marketing team. Mandatory 6 week work weeks from Black Friday through New Years with no compensatory time off after the holidays. I went nearly 8 years without an employee evaluation or a raise. If you want to make more money, you have to sell more shoes...

Pay the managers a better salary. Eliminate their need to sell to make commission and they will be able to better coach and train their teams. Have the Marketing team do the marketing. Let the managers focus mainly on what goes on between their four walls.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Walking Company Holdings part-time (less than an year)

Pros

40-65% employee discount is the only good thing

Cons

Managers don't like or appreciate workers with lower positions
    Managers are extremely rude and expect for you to do wayyyyy more work
    Pay is horrible

Instead of yelling and belittling employees TRAIN them

Walking Company Holdings Photos

A walking company sales associate helps a customer
Corporate Office Entrance The Walking Company
Corporate Offices The Walking Company "Top Floor"
Entrance to The Walking Company store in Corte Madera, CA