Wall Street English

Updated March 2, 2015
3.4

David Kedwards
1 Rating

Pros
  • Easy to teach pre-prepared lesson plans (in 4 reviews)

• Modern workplace, pay on time, interesting co-workers (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, intensive workload, unequal working status (in 3 reviews)

• Some of the senior management aren't very business-oriented (former teachers/trainers), so proactive planning sometimes falls flat (i (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

English tutor and office manager

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

working with people being a team player, knowing you accomplished your days work with satisfaction

Cons

learning new things, getting better everyday at what you do

A great place to work for a few years, but don't get stuck.

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

The most professionally-run ESL organization I've worked for.

Cons

Irregular working hours make it nearly impossible to have a meaningful social life.

A good programme and usually good teams

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

You work with interesting people from everywhere. There is a dynamic leadership.

Cons

Not a lot of down-sizes. Except that everything depends on the team you are placed in.

Great Experience

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher Wall Street China in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Wall Street English full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was straight forward and before I knew it, Shanghai was a reality. The training was very well organized and thorough, I was taught well about the company's goal and methodologies. Leaving this company has always been one of my biggest regrets.

Cons

Get ready to work in the evening and on the weekends, but other than that, the company has an excellent management development program. Bonuses are great!

Sometimes working at different centers was a bit inconvenient, but on the other hand, when you need holiday time, there will be cover. Sometimes SM's are too busy so don't they don't always have a lot of time to talk to you.

A very fun experience (in Thailand)

Former Contractor - English Teacher in Ban Rangsit (Thailand)
    Former Contractor - English Teacher in Ban Rangsit (Thailand)

I worked at Wall Street English as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Being a part of the WSE team was really fun. Made so many great friends. Easy and laid-back work environment for teachers. Lots of respect from students and some creative freedom in your teaching style. Sick leave was unlimited, though you typically felt bad calling in sick because your friends had to cover for you.

Cons

Poor work-life balance. Poor health insurance. Management is clearly driven by sales and I didn't see middle management getting much support from upper.

Camaraderie is something you've done well, so I didn't mind spending most of my time at work, but you may want to consider hiring more teachers to lighten the hours or paying a little more to make it worth it.

Overall a mostly positive experience, particularly for those new to TEFL.

Current Employee - Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Teacher in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

The salary (Thailand) competitive with comparable employers, and paid punctually. Bright, reasonably well-equiped workplace.

Cons

Management are definitely focussed on sales more than education. Long hours including evenings and weekends.

Get rid of the lame marketing gimmicks and all the rubbish and focus on teaching English. Care about people a little more.

WSE Thailand (Educator)

Former Employee - Educator in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Educator in Bangkok (Thailand)

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

Lessons plans done for you, and you can use creative-side to expand. Additional classes or clubs were part of the hours. I had a very flexible work schedule. Once you know the lessons, you can really aim to improve your own skills as a teacher.

Cons

Low salary. Some staff interaction. Hours can be terrible if you have a spouse with a normal 9-5 job.

Very poorly managed company

I worked at Wall Street English full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Often looking for teachers; pays enough to get you by.

Cons

Unstable company -- during my two years at WSI there were various paydays on which they could not assure me that my paycheck would be deposited in my bank account. The local and regional management teams were by far the worst of any company I have worked for or know of. Incompetent, corrupt, shameless or verging on psycopathic.

What management????

Fabulous working environment, itty-bitty salary

Former Employee - English Teacher in Cayambe (Ecuador)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Cayambe (Ecuador)

I worked at Wall Street English full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the learning center in Cayambe, Ecuador at the end of 2011 as an interim English teacher. A fabulous atmosphere for interacting on a multicultural level, Wall Street English (used to be known as Wall Street Institute) offers employment to qualified English teachers. They prefer candidates who have taken an ESL course, but it is not always necessary. The learning centers are open concept, with glass partitions. The students (all adults) are typically highly motivated (they are paying to attend!) and courteous. Most are eager to learn not only English but facets of the teacher's culture. The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

Cons

You may be asked to work some evenings during the week as many of the students have jobs during normal business hours. Pay was based on normal wages of the host country. In the case of Ecuador, it was $500 per month. That is enough to survive, if one lives frugally.

Actively seek teacher feedback for ideas, complaints, and constructive criticism on curriculum format. Also, offer constructive feedback to teachers on their teaching style and format.

Social Media Executive

I worked at Wall Street English part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They trusted me a lot and gave me responsibility since the beginning of my permanence.

Cons

No organization, difficulty of communication with the management.

To better structure the environment.

Wall Street English Photos