Wall Street English

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014

3.1

CEO

A great place to work for a few years, but don't get stuck.

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

The most professionally-run ESL organization I've worked for.

Cons

Irregular working hours make it nearly impossible to have a meaningful social life.

A good programme and usually good teams

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

You work with interesting people from everywhere. There is a dynamic leadership.

Cons

Not a lot of down-sizes. Except that everything depends on the team you are placed in.

English teacher

Current Employee - English Teacher  in  Lima, Lima Region (Peru)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Lima, Lima Region (Peru)

I have been working at Wall Street English part-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good job to have while you are traveling and you want to make some extra cash. Also you get to work in a fun environment!

Cons

The bad thing is that if you stay and work for a longer period of time you realize that there are no benefits whatsoever and the bosses don't really care about their employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ok

I have been working at Wall Street English full-time

Pros

nice people and environment, you can learn a lot in here.

Cons

salary and benefit , just okay.

Good experience that has gotten worse

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

Structured environment, good students, great facilities

Cons

Company very sales oriented; not the same camaraderie as before; future not bright for the business with changing government regulations

"This isn't a school; it's a business." -- my former service manager

Former Employee - English Teacher  in  Munich (Germany)
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Munich (Germany)

I worked at Wall Street English as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

It's one of the few places in the German EFL market where you can actually get a contract, with health insurance and pension savings paid for. However, the per-hour salary, even with these benefits added in, is substantially lower than other employers on the market.

Cons

I have never felt more disempowered and frustrated as a teacher than I did during my tenure at WSE. My service manager and center director were engaged in a folie a deux that made dealing with them nearly impossible. I was deemed a poor fit for the company, despite my service manager saying I was one of the best teachers she'd ever seen in her seven years at the company. The teacher she considered her "star employee" literally said of his work, "I come to work, I do my job, I go home." Passionate, committed, competent teachers are not a good match for WSE; people who are just looking for a chance to work abroad and have found that a TEFL/CELTA is the quickest way to get a foot in the door will probably do just fine.

Provide a forum for teaching staff within WSE to share knowledge and pool resources. It's ridiculous that a company this size doesn't have one. Also, consider cutting down a bit on upper management so you can pay your rank-and-file teachers more than the trifling sum they currently get.

Great team atmosphere and "always on" company culture with lots of potential for personal growth

I have been working at Wall Street English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is a lot of diversity and energy in the team. What I most enjoy is getting to work with and meet lots of people from different countries and cultures from around the world. Being part of Pearson also allows for great opportunities to work within the wider context of learning and take advantage of some of the services available to staff as part of the "always learning" company philosophy.

Cons

Working across a global network can mean feeling stretched at times with multiple projects on at any one time. Juggling different time zones can also be interesting! :)

More guidance around the long term vision for Wall Street English and how to be true to the philosophy that "we change futures" both for our students and staff.

A great and wonderful experience

Current Employee - Service Manager  in  Ancona (Italy)
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Ancona (Italy)

I have been working at Wall Street English full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the reasons why I love working for this company is the costant updating and new material which is presented. I truly feel to be part of a team. I also have the possibility to move and work for Wall Street if something happens and my family decides to move. My owners are always willing to invest and keep us at the top, both in service and in teaching. The team, our school, I work for is the best!!!!!!!!!

Cons

There are negative aspects just like any other job. My biggest problem is the distance I travel. Commuting is difficult. For the moment, I really have nothing negative to say.

Stay up to date with training for staff members and keep the "unique" learning experience in tact.

Educational Consultant

Current Employee - Educational Consultant  in  Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Educational Consultant in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at Wall Street English full-time for more than a year

Pros

High incentives and great benefits

Cons

Work in long hours and must handle with customers' emotion

Hard work will bring no reward...

I worked at Wall Street English full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked there for 2,5 years, my tasks involved everything from reception, customer satisfaction, management, and teaching. The only raise I got was about 50€ a month, which still made my salary a joke regarding what I actually did. To be noted I worked for a sub franchisee but I doubt it is any different elsewhere.
    Pros : if you're a foreigner, they might sponsor your visa.
    _you get an actual contract, meaning paid holidays and pay even when you have no classes.
    _If you get in a small center as I did, you might get to do varied tasks which is good for an entry job.
    _depending on your colleagues you can make good friends and the atmosphere is pretty relaxed (no dresscode...)

Cons

_lack of transparency, the company made money but was always complaining that we were close to bankrupcy which made for a very negative atmosphere. However, direction will not hesitate to use company credit card to buy a leather chair or expensive restaurant while it will take 2 months and a reminder for them to pay your transportation expenses...
    _repetitive tasks/lessons
    _absolutely no rewards, the consultant team can get excellent bonuses but the rest of the company is just left with nothing even though everyone makes for good sales
    _the different entities of the company are completely separated (sales team, management, reception, and teachers) Teachers have no word to say in the decisions and know very little about the company.
    _high turnover, meaning trainings and you might have crazy co-workers.

Worked for Wall Street English? Contribute to the Community!