Wall Street English Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Wall Street English CEO David Kedwards
David Kedwards

Pros
  • There were some fun colleagues from all around the world (in 2 reviews)

• Just changed health insurance companies to one that provides direct billing (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • You may be asked to work some evenings during the week as many of the students have jobs during normal business hours (in 2 reviews)

• No work-life balance - teachers worked three weeks in a month from 12pm - 9 (in 2 reviews)

1. English teacher

I worked at Wall Street English full-time

Pros

good living wage, 20-30hrs work week

Cons

20-30hrs work week of non stop teaching

Great if you are starting your teaching Career

Former Employee - English Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - English Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Wall Street English full-time (More than a year)

Pros

System is working great, professional and friendly environment, working hours are not bad, you don't have to wake up early. Every material is already prepared, holidays are flexible. Bonuses are nice.

Cons

Low pay, have to work at the weekends. Sometimes you have to teach in two different branches which can be exhausted.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay. Other schools are paying way much more.

3. English tutor and office manager

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

working with people being a team player, knowing you accomplished your days work with satisfaction

Cons

learning new things, getting better everyday at what you do

5. A great place to work for a few years, but don't get stuck.

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

The most professionally-run ESL organization I've worked for.

Cons

Irregular working hours make it nearly impossible to have a meaningful social life.

6. A good programme and usually good teams

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

You work with interesting people from everywhere. There is a dynamic leadership.

Cons

Not a lot of down-sizes. Except that everything depends on the team you are placed in.

Good, Bad, Who Knows

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangkok (Thailand)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bangkok (Thailand)

I have been working at Wall Street English full-time

Pros

the staff, method and environment helps gives students confidence to use English; Friendly, usually motivated students; often small class sizes; nice working environment; friendly staff and students

Cons

Corporate greed, back-to-back teaching, budget cuts and staff reduction means more emphasis on computer work, the method of teaching/ learning has sever drawbacks that impair students' English progress (though they are over-charged); Teacher's creativity is stifled; repetitive lessons; low hourly pay/ long work hours

Advice to Management

invest in staff - increase wages and headcount; recognise staff's hard work and commitment; care about students more and respond to their needs; reduce teaching hours and increase wages. All this will help your precious profit!

8. Finance Controller

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indo (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indo (Indonesia)

I have been working at Wall Street English

Pros

I have good remuneration and also guidance from HQ

Cons

I do not see weakness

9. good atmosphere, salary unstable

Current Employee - English Teacher in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Wall Street English part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

relaxed atmosphere, nice colleagues, management all nice people
    good hourly salary
    limited preparation time

Cons

teaching scripted units over and over
    almost impossible to get full time position
    lots of last minute changes to schedule, you need to be flexible

Uncaring company, uncaring upper management

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher Wall Street China in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I worked at Wall Street English full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

A terrible experience, you will be overworked, and certain mangers will bully you or attempt to, depending on your ability to deal with bullies. The bullying and psychosis of certain managers is known by upper management and they don't care, any complaints will be met with a smile, a nodding head and no action. Unless you REALLY need a job, give this company a wide berth.

The only way that teachers seem to cope with this company is by becoming part time, something that some western, centre managers try to block as they don't want part time teachers in their centres. I had to write a very long email to persuade HR/Recruitment to allow me to go part time; after a couple of months in a certain centre with a certain psychotic western, centre manager, I had simply had enough of being full time. Everything, it seems, is a battle in this place. Those teacher's who continue to work there after their year's contract is up, generally seem the weather beaten type who hate the way they are treated but won't complain unless its solely amidst other teachers - this is why things don't change guys, because so few teachers have the gumption to complain.

As a full time teacher you will work 6 day weeks every other week and be expected to cover at other centres that could be very far from your locale. This by the way, was not mentioned in my interview, so I only found out in my training. This brings me onto another point, the trainers. I only met one, the trainer was so anally retentive about CCQs (concept checking questions) that their questions were condescending. I think their retentiveness made them not realise that they were using CCQs with L1 speakers as if they were L2 speakers. WSE, if you use trainers, use people with DELTAS and not someone fresh out of receiving a CELTA with a nascent yet pedantic bent on CCQs.

I could write so many negative things about WSE Shanghai, however, I have only written what I have, out of a humane compassion for anyone considering working for this company. Just let me say, I can only comment regarding WSE Shanghai, however, I heard from a friend that worked in Hangzhou, that WSE Hangzhou was fairly similar, if a little less intense due to it being a smaller city and therefore, having less students. From what I can gather from teacher's who have worked for WSE much longer than my 6 months; WSE China is a terrible company to work for, but apparently WSE in other countries is more the norm, in other words, you do not get treated badly.

My experience in WSE centres in Shanghai is that the company is full of unhappy workers, some of the Chinese female members of staff were even 'scared' of the managers. It's a terrible place and my advice is, try somewhere else. This really was my only negative experience as a teacher in China, there 'are' much better places to work for. To be fair, some WSE centres have nicer managers than others, but that only makes it a touch easier to cope within a bad company culture and long full time hours. Employees in this company are treated as an object to be used, there is no humanity.

I think the main problem is that people who stay long enough to work their way up to a centre manager, show themselves to be a certain type of person by willing to put up with the terrible treatment both to themselves and other staff members. As they become managers, the circle continues.

Advice to Management

Have some soul, change how you are and stop allowing certain western centre managers get away with psychotic behaviour and bullying tactics. Take complaints seriously, and stop overworking teacher's with 6 day weeks. You know all the wrongs that go on in this company, have some heart and fix them!

Disappointing.

Former Employee - Native Teacher in Istanbul (Turkey)
    Former Employee - Native Teacher in Istanbul (Turkey)

I worked at Wall Street English

Pros

- Good for those new to teaching. If you're not new: look elsewhere!
    - Lessons are planned for you (to a certain extent, you still have to plan some lessons. The plans aren't always very good).

Cons

- The pay is not enough to live on.
    - You won't manage to have any kind of social life; you won't have time (6-7 days a week of work) and even if you did, you wouldn't have enough money to pay for it.
    - Too much of an emphasis on sales.
    - It's very difficult to earn back what you spend on getting set up in Turkey. You might not break even at the end of your contract.

Advice to Management

Pay teachers fairly.

RSS Feed </> Embed