Walmart Reviews

1,813 Ratings

Life at a Big Box is met with Bitter Colleagues & Decent Opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you are hard-working, intelligent, and come to work to do just that, you will stand out and you can build a career from the ground up with Walmart. Before I moved on, I was on a direct path to move into management at a local store, having only worked there for slightly less than a year.

Cons

Working at a local store meant working with many bitter "lifers" who hated the system they were working in. From my perspective, the fault is on their heads for not coming to work with the attitude that hard work gets you ahead in life. If you perform poorly, management does recognize that. To be fair though, WM often employees bitter, low performers. It's a revolving door of negative energy.

Work towards empowering the local employees more and building a culture that makes them feel good about what they've got in life. Clearly explain how they can get ahead. Many of your employees are earning at a rate below the poverty line. Making their lives easier by paying them more might cut down on the animosity and angst that is so prevalent among WM employees.