Walmart Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

1. seems to be going downhill, no matter what CEO says

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

competitive pay
    good policies
    occasionally you meet impressive individuals, although less and less of them remain

Cons

quite often substantial decision power seems to be given to people of questionable qualification and/or integrity, just based on personal connections.
    someone mentioned 'ethnic favoritism' - there seems to be an indication of that, too.
    independent thought/action is not supported.

Advice to Management

find out what the problem is before attempting a solution

2. Unhealthy corporate culture at .com

Former Employee - Online Marketing Art Director in Brisbane, CA
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Art Director in Brisbane, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I met a few genuine people.

Cons

For the most part it was a horrible dysfunctional experience, that corporate culture was highly political and oppressive. Where backstabbing and deliberately setting people up for failure was the norm. There was such little support on our creative team that designers were belittled for their contributions and efforts rather then encouraged.

Advice to Management

I feel that there was no support and commitment from upper management in developing a healthy work environment within the creative department. I don't think they care or have the interest to invest in that team. They talk a good game but the talk is cheap.

Leadership Challenged

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

I'm having a hard time thinking of any pros that would make working there worthwhile to anyone. However, there are a lot of really great people that work there (at the individual contributor level).

Cons

The latest reorganization that occurred has made the organization too executive management heavy and has made too many silos--which may lead to redundancy and inefficiency. There are no followed processes or IT Governance/Compliance in the company. Disagreement with management leads to "Coaching" -- nice way to say being written up. Also, a place where someone can lie about you and it becomes feedback against you--unfortunately, not fair but that is how it is there. Very un-professional atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Stick to facts and not hearsay. Upper management must leave the Ivory tower and communicate with the associates. Truly follow the 3 basic beliefs.