Walmart

8,827 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,244 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

150 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Niles, IL
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Niles, IL

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy to do co-workers are nice and its a nice work environment.

Cons

Poor management and low pay.

Wal-Mart sucks

Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Waukegan, IL
    Former Employee - Backroom Associate in Waukegan, IL

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Associates are fun and easy to work with

Cons

Asked to do things you arent trained for. And expect to do the impossible

Wal-Mart

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Compensation. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Flux hours and schedules. Little to none work life balance.

Stressful but provided good experience

Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked at the pharmacy (as a pharmacy intern) for 4 years and although it was very busy and stressful at times, it has provided me with very good, invaluable experience. I enjoyed helping patients as well as growing as a professional. We also received bonuses during some quarters and were involved with interesting and engaging activities such as the health fair.

Cons

Very low starting wage (it increased once I transitioned from pharmacy technician to intern)
    Coworkers with low motivation to work with excellence

Department Manager at Walmart for 5+ years.

Former Employee - Department Manager in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Naperville, IL

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Thats about it.

Cons

Hours suck, management only cares about their paycheck. They "train" you then throw you into the fire right away. Benefits aren't really there, and neither is the money. The company values the customers over the associates.

Please, please take care of the associates.

One of the Worst places in the retail industry to work for

Current Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate in Niles, IL
    Current Employee - Lawn and Garden Sales Associate in Niles, IL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are pro's like on busy days you get to be the door greeter since they have them up front. After the secondary doors are closed you can pretty much roam around.

Cons

No health insurance for part-time workers, pull u in the back to HELP unload the truck, make you learn how to use the cash register so when you're not busy, they pull u up front.

Management should not be overly look over you, when you took your break, take it later, don't take it before you clock out.

I hated it. Managers put you down and call you stupid. Literally. And in front of customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate to Cashier in Homer Glen, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate to Cashier in Homer Glen, IL

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I made a nice pay check and good hours. Got breaks every two hours of work

Cons

A lot of disrespect in the store. Managers didn't care about anybody.

Learn some respect and maybe associates will like going into work

Good for college students looking for part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Schedule flexibility
    Opportunities to move up

Cons

Under staffed
    Will have to many other department
    Rarely make someone full time

Hire more associates and need more motivation

Politics

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nothin nice to say..... Underplayed and overworked

Cons

Drama drama drama this place is a pool of high school girls including the men!!

Treat associates with respect

Lots of hard work, consistent hours, flexible scheduling, great coworkers, mediocre management.

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Orland Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Orland Hills, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Coworkers are very nice, laid back people and easy to work with. Since I work overnights as a Stocker, the schedule is consistent; it never changes, from 10pm to 7am for every shift scheduled. I was told during interviews and orientation that I was being hired on as a part-time Temp, but as far as my schedule shows, I'm getting full-time with working less than a month. The pay is $1.00 more on overnights, and I deal with almost no customers, so those things are good in my book. We get two (2)-15 minute breaks and a 1-hour lunch every shift, which is much needed considering the amount of hard work we do. I keep getting told by management that if you work hard and want to get promoted, it is possible and will eventually happen, but as far as the reviews I read on here and what I hear from friends and coworkers, it doesn't sound like it will happen, but I will just have to find out in the coming months if I decide to stay working here.

Cons

Working overnights, there is a LOT of work to be done, and not nearly enough people. The freight load for different areas of the store varies each night, even when the truck load isn't huge, so with working in a certain area you could get an easy night in your department and move to assist somebody else in their section, or you could get swamped in your department with 10+ pallets and get no help all night, without being able to get everything done and half of the freight will end up being overstock. The system for picking/pulling/stocking freight is very inefficient, as a lot of stuff that gets pulled to the floor ends up being overstock, which means we have to do much more work (physical and mental) just to get the job done on time. Training is very mediocre; they barely teach you anything, let alone the best way to do your job, so I was left finding out how to do things efficiently as I went along, and from my coworkers rather than the members of management; I wasn't even properly shown how to use a Telxon the first 3 times that I "learned." Management are extremely fast-paced, barely teach you how to do your job properly, expect a lot more work from you than can be reasonably accomplished, and are very condescending and snobby when it comes to telling you to get things done; they don't understand that we're only one (1) person, and can only do so many things and be in so many places at one time. Very overworked for the compensation provided.

Connect more with your employees; don't treat them like drones who are just there to do whatever you tell them to do and get the work done, no questions asked. Have a nicer, more positive attitude and understand that not everything that needs to be done every night/day is doable by one person alone, or a team for that matter. Put more effort into properly training your team; in my case, show them how to properly stock a department in the absolute most efficient way possible, the first time, rather than letting them figure it out for themselves and basically "learning the hard way" the first 20 times. Ask questions and check in on your employees to make sure they are doing alright and have everything they need every shift; don't assume that everything is always okay and running smoothly just because somebody isn't coming to you for help/assistance. A lot of the time, employees are either too busy or too afraid to ask questions of management (for various reasons), and since you guys are the only ones with walkie talkies and can be pretty much anywhere in the store at any given time, it's not feasible to come and find you if we have a problem or questions, like we are told.