Walmart

Updated Jul 26, 2014

2.9 7,433 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 304 reviews)

7,433 Employee Reviews

Stable place to work, Long hours if your salary.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat Benefits, the work is fast paced and leads to a quick work day. I loved working with people and getting tasks done with a team.

Conslong hours and weekend work, typical retail. Sometimes things seem really redundant. I miss the people but I do not miss the problems of staffing that seemed to haunt me where ever I was.

Decent place, Bad management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Garland, TX

Pros-Good benefits, assuming you are full-time. Part-timers get less benefits.
    -The work itself isn't as hard as some make it out to be (or at least for me it wasn't). However, it does become frustrating when they dump a lot of work on you, specially jobs that you're not sure of how to do them, and they expect you to finish it in record time!!)
    -Some managers are cool (you can chill with them, have a few laughs, have a smoke with them)

ConsToo many to list, but a few are:
    -Part-time gets vacation time after you've worked 2 years for the company.
    -Management doesn't seem to really care about what goes on in the backroom. (Hardly any of the managers I knew would walk to the back to make sure everything was in order)
    -Understaffed, which puts a lot of work on the associates, specially when you're the only one in the department (and they still expect you to do everything)
    - I guess this depends on where you live, but the starting wage, at least for your average associate (I started at 7.90/hr)

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being cheap and hire a few more people for the departments that are understaffed! Also, some managers need to learn to care about what goes on in their backrooms.

Okayish

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, work-life balance and compensation.

ConsLack of training, no promotions and money issues.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not too shabby

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee) Lenoir, NC

ProsRoom for growth for those who are interested, management demanding but not harsh. You get out of it what you put into it. If you hate your job, then of course you're going to be dissatisfied. I didn't, and so was fine.

ConsPretty rigid schedules which can be tough to change, but what do you expect from a mutli-billion dollar corporation?

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be kind to the employees--there are a lot of good ones out there, and it can be easy to let good work go unappreciated. Giving kudos to a job well done will go realllllly far with company morale.

Walmart was a fun place to work and I enjoyed the people I was associated with.

Tire and Lube Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, KY

ProsThe potential for promotional oppurtunities via the management program where great.

Consdealing with the public daily

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to your employees and get to know them on a personal level

Decent place to work with great Job advancement.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

ProsTraining is pretty slim, you have a few days of computer training and you're pretty much thrown in. I like to learn by doing, so this doesn't bother me. Job advancement at Walmart is excellent, if you're willing to move up. Most of the people I see who work at walmart for an extended period of time without advancement are the ones who don't want to advance. If you are willing to work, call out as seldom as possible and at least pretend to care about the customers, you CAN advance, pretty quickly in some cases.
    There are also quarterly bonuses paid to all employees if the store does well that quarter.

ConsManagement sometimes sets unrealistic expectations due to the pressure put on them by upper management.
    A part time associate doesn't get any vacation until 2 years (most other large retail stores give it after 1.)

It is what it is

Courtesy Associate (Current Employee) Richmond, IN

ProsFriendly employees, people willing to help as necessary, reasonable work environment, no micro-management

ConsLow pay, not too much opportunity for serious growth, basically anything expected from a large retail organisation

Nice Co-Workers

Walmart Cashier (Former Employee) Norton, VA

Pros-Coworkers are nice
    -Registers were easy to learn
    -Discount card were nice 10% off regular priced General Merchandise
    -Good training by cashiers that had been there for a while
    -Good Customer Service managers that would answer any questions you need
    -1 hour lunch and if you work long enough to get a lunch you get 2 paid 15 minute breaks

Cons-Everybody starts out as a Temp. employee if they don't like ya they will let ya go
    -Never get days that you request off (During the whole time I worked there I got maybe 1 total day approved)
    -Horrible system to request off days and is really confusing at first
    -Always HOT near the registers
    -No matter if it's Black Friday or Christmas Eve other members of management expect you to be able to "zone" and "redline" even if you are so busy you cant even breathe from how packed it is (at least the one I worked at)
    -Confusing on what managers to talk to when you have problems with something (There is a store manager, Co-managers, and a ton of assistant managers along with department managers)

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time in the Cashiers shoes on a Saturday during the first of the month to see exactly how horrible it can get

Pleasant

ProsBeing valued as a person. Plenty of opportunities to advance and try different things. Excellent director and management.

ConsSometimes new regulations, every store is different ,and should be approached in different way.

love

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

Prosexcellent and awesome love this job

ConsI have nothing bad to say about this job what so ever

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!