Walmart

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9 7,391 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,391 Employee Reviews

it was busy

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Grants, NM

Prosits a busy place to work for

Consits a busy area of the store all the time

Advice to Senior Managementgod managemnt

It was an enjoyable place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bismarck, ND

ProsClose to home. Flexible hours. My co-workers were one of the best parts of the job.

ConsTo many managers giving instructions to so few staff. Not enough associates to cover all work to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandise sells better when it is not stored in the back room, due to not having enough staff to get the shelves stocked or having staff on the floor to sell the merchandise. Customers do not like to have to hunt for sales associates to help them find the product they need or are looking to purchase.

Walmart

ProsI truly like the Walmart culture. It is a challenging but rewarding place to work. I feel accomplished and appreciate working here. I get a very good work life balance 9 months out of the year but in retail that is expected.

This company has allowed me to provide a great life to my family. I see a future career for me within upper management. I have also seen my associates grow within the company in as little as six months. It all depend on work ethics, attitude, and hard work.

ConsIf you do not like rolling up your sleeves and working one on one with associates this is not a place for you. Great leaders lead through example and training.

You will work most holidays. The hours can be long. Customers and sometimes associates can have bad attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that every store embodies the Walmart culture and continue to listen to your associates.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience with Wal Mart was neutral. I won't bad mouth the company it has it's benefits but I would not go back,

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsIn my opinion the pros of this company is it dies give employees a chance to make an income The hours were not always great but you were able to at least try to make ends meet

ConsThe cons in my opinion was some of the people in management played favoritism and I didn't feel it was always fare.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep closer eyes on the front end of the stores and pay closer attention to how the customers are being treated. Respect should ALWAYS be the most important factor when dealing with the public no matter what!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

It could be worse

Anonymous (Former Employee) Durham, NC

ProsHours are good and you meet great people

ConsThe pay is low and morale can be lower

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize who your main players are and reward them. It would give more reason for others to work harder

Getting Away from the Point...

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and solid benefits and an average store discount. Very knowledgeable staff and very supportive if you prove yourself as a hard working manager and not a lazy slacker.

ConsA lot of promises from upper management about things and lack of follow through on their part. Also, the cutting of associate hours to pay back time left management to take on a lot of the extra tasks with no one to help or delegate too. The grocery side of things have become the "golden child," if you work on the GM side be prepared to lose associates you schedule for your dept. to make up for the deficiencies on the other side of the store. Plus the scheduling makes the work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to Sam Waltons mind set and goal when he started the company, care for your associates as you would care for your customers. At the end of the day without the associates and the services they provide that store would be in trouble.

I learned a lot about teamwork and camaraderie.

Walmart Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou get to work directly with the customers and provide them with one on one service.

ConsThe work is divided among the number of employees present. There are no accommodations for absent scheduled workers' work.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to appreciate your employees. Employees that are appreciated, often come to work on time and work their schedules hours and they work harder and and happier.

It was a good experience working there.

Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsDecent pay ok opportunity to grow if company makes money

ConsLots of demand constantly being asked to do multiple things management not on top of things

Fun

Deli Associate (Former Employee) Noblesville, IN

ProsYou get to talk to people and the work is enjoyable.

ConsYou have to do quite a variety of tasks and quick mostly but sometimes however it can be slow but there's always something to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementA boss is a boss I think anywhere you go. The management team I had was great.

Good Work Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Thomasville, GA

ProsThey hire anyone and I mean anyone.
    There is opportunity for growth.
    yearly raises.

Consyou start off at 7.45 an hour
    management seems to never be on the same page
    If you work hard you'll likely carry your department and will not be noticed until 3 years after carrying it

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize who should be in management and who shouldn't
    Offer more full time positions with benefits

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!