Walmart

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9 7,392 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,392 Employee Reviews

Need to go back to basics

Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsAssociates are good people to work with for the most part

ConsManagement seems to get dumber by the year the ones who get promoted are usually that brown nose and are not necessarily the best qualified.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to promote the best associates and not just those who brown nose the most.

Very Low Pay for such HARD WORK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou build up a rapport with the other checkers and most of the Customer Service Reps. Most customers are great with only a very few grouchy ones. I enjoyed my customers so much.

ConsWalmart as a company is absolutely terrible. Cashiers get very little pay and work real hard. I must have lifted over 500 pounds a day between cases of water and beer, gallons of milk, 2 liter soft drinks, etc. I wouldn't have minded the lifting except it was just too much for someone as small and as short as me (under 100 lbs).

I enjoy working hard, but they were ridiculous about it. Don't stop for one second to take a breath after a huge 3 or 4 hour long rush of customers. And cashiers are expected to push carts, which is by hand at a WM Neighborhood Market. No machine to help like at the big Super Centers. And don't expect to go full time. The turnover is so fast, they constantly need more checkers, so you're it.

Management doesn't care about people, they are just trying to satisfy corporate. And Walmart Corporate is unreasonable and extremely CHEAP. They buy these pityful plastic bags to load groceries into, which tear at the drop of a hat, and then gripe about the policy of 6 items per bag. The bags used to be of better quality, but no longer.

No wonder they are world's largest retailer. A lot of that money comes directly out of employees' hides and some more comes from the crappy bags they use.

Associate Confessions

Wireless Sales Associate (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere were at least some moments where you didn't have someone breathing down your neck all breath.

ConsManagerial attitudes could set off even the most stoic workers. Individuality is severely frowned upon.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Walmart

ProsI truly like the Walmart culture. It is a challenging but rewarding place to work. I feel accomplished and appreciate working here. I get a very good work life balance 9 months out of the year but in retail that is expected.

This company has allowed me to provide a great life to my family. I see a future career for me within upper management. I have also seen my associates grow within the company in as little as six months. It all depend on work ethics, attitude, and hard work.

ConsIf you do not like rolling up your sleeves and working one on one with associates this is not a place for you. Great leaders lead through example and training.

You will work most holidays. The hours can be long. Customers and sometimes associates can have bad attitudes.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that every store embodies the Walmart culture and continue to listen to your associates.

terrible

Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosabsolutely completely nothing is good about this place

Consthis entire store is incredibly bad

Advice to Senior Managementpay your employees

love my job

Field Project Supervisor (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Prostravel fun rewarding work with a lot of people

Conslong times on the road

Glad to work at Walmart

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsI am a cashier and enjoy chatting with the customers. I am thankful to be able to receive health benefits even as a part time employee.

ConsI wish the pay was better.

they only hire parttime,, you must be availiable 24/7 can almost never have a weekend off or holiday.

Wal Mart Cashier Photo (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosfastpaced always something diffrent....time sorta flys.

Consthey are never allowed to hire fulltime unless you supervisor,,or management. the play favorites and pretend like they cant fix or set hours. they let csms be rude to employees. this is a slave driving company. you need to wait 1 year before you can take a vacation. raises are 5 cents a year or 25 cents. the store is never staffed always understaffed. customers are always angry that there is no help in the store and not enough cashiers. they do this to save $$$. this is one of the worst companies i have ever worked for. do not work for walmart. this list of what is wrong with walmart could go on and on.....

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff...let workers have more say on hours..give better raises....this company is pathetic..i will no longer shop at walmart anymore...also offer full time for hard working employees they want it and you people refuse it.

Great people at the hourly level.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBenefits and opportunity are very good

ConsChange comes fast and furious

Advice to Senior Managementget a bigger back room

Run

Walmart Cashier (Current Employee) Napa, CA

ProsI befriended nice customers and always got my paycheck on time.

ConsI was the fastest, friendliest most proffesional cashier they had and never got promoteD. i applied for a lead position but another girl who had been there only two months was promoted because she was popular. Also, there was a bonus given to us and i got all excited about the extra 300 that would be on my check only to find out i didnt recieve the bonus because i was there for 5 months and 29 days, so was 1 day away from getting the bonus. But come to find out the girl who had been promoted after 2 months of sloppily cashiering got her bonus....hmmm, i wonder why? after digging deeper i found i was the onlyt person who did not get a bonus, needless to say i quit. the pay is horrible, and hours are worser, stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your cashiers, we are the last people your customers see. Do not promote people based of popularity, but who can do the job. were making minimum wage is horrible!

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!