Walmart

Updated Jul 24, 2014

2.9 7,397 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,397 Employee Reviews

Great team work in Work place

Help Desk Support (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsIT technician and networking with friend

ConsCommunication, looking for opportunities in life

Great opportunities

Merchandise Supervisor (Current Employee) Goddard, KS

ProsMy managers, zone and assistant, are very kind and professional. They work with you when you have a schedule change request and are open to suggestions to make Walmart better. I like my job, my coworkers and managers create a fun, but professional environment. I feel like I have an excellent chance to move up in the company.

ConsBeing professional and polite to customers who are very challenging. They may be having a bad day, so I don't take it personally. Getting our jobs done is difficult because there are not enough workers to get it done. We are constantly getting pulled from our jobs to help in grocery and the check outs.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire enough people to get the job done. My departments would be a lot neater, well zoned and well stocked if we had enough people to help all over the store. To hire and retain quality workers you may need to raise the pay. We cannot find anyone to fill a spot in the apparel department. Our personnel coordinator says the last good one that applied, failed her drug test. The others seem to not have any work ethics. Turnover costs money, is it really cheaper than paying good employees a good wage, thus attracting more good employees?

Working as a Cashier at Wal-Mart

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee) Hinesville, GA

ProsThe hours were good. The time was swing shift type scheduling, but that was okay. You go where they need you.

ConsIt was hard to get people to sign up for a Wal-Mart credit card. The customers were never happy to asked the same question over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a kiosk specifically for people trying to apply for the WM credit card. The cashiers don't need the added stress or customer complaints about trying to make them sign up for something they have no interest in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great community spirit.

Walmart Store Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThe market management team are professional, courteous and committed to your success, I would not hesitate to recommend this company to anyone who is looking for a career and not just a stop gap. The opportunities are endless and there is in depth training available to all. The hours are typical for a retail environment and they are flexible if you need time off for family emergencies.

ConsThe cons I encountered centered around working with some associates who didn't give a damn about the company and were utterly unreliable both in their timekeeping and the quality of their work. You quickly worked out who was committed and who was not by the number of no shows and tardys in their attendance record.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue what you are doing because you didn't become so big so fast by being terrible at what you do.

Plenty of opportunity if you seek it out and work hard.

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) Holly Spring, GA

ProsThe company respects hard work and will reward it with your promotion. Opportunity is the biggest perk of being a Walmart associate. It isn't about where you start, but about where you can end up. I was hired as a part time cashier. After two months I was made full-time. Then after six months I was promoted to a customer service supervisor with higher pay and more responsibility. The company offers health coverage, dental and vision plans, a 401k retirement plan with a dollar for dollar match up to 6% of your pay, education benefits, a discount card, and $4 prescriptions. I went from paying around $400 a month for my medicine, to $60 a month under my parents insurance, to finally only $4 under my Walmart coverage.

Every day is unique, because you work with the public. I like helping people find what they need. Also, with Walmart's size we can offer many special services like Site-to-Store and several financial services.

ConsIf you want to move up, you need to be proactive. While I have had a couple of managers ask to mentor me to help me move up, not everyone has had that. You must work and put it out there that you want to move up. The same is with training. Walmart has a lot of training materials and classes, but implementing them in the stores can be spotty.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward management and associates for in-stock availability more so than keeping the budget down. I believe we will get better in-stock with proper training and people, but with incentives to keep costs down it is less likely to have the manpower to get those extra sales. I see these changes coming. Let's fast track them into implementation.

An ethical and friendly company to work for!

Electronic Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lehighton, PA

ProsGreat company ethics
    Easy to advance within company
    Friendly co workers and management
    Accommodating when needing time off

ConsLow bonuses
    Hour cuts
    Non-consistent schedule

Support manager

ProsManagement training, benefit and flexibility

ConsReally low paid rate vs responsabilities

good company

Prosyou can talk to management when you have an problem , you can get promoted if you try you shape your own future.

Consyou work most holidays you can't always get days off when you want ( it is retail so you should know that going in.

Advice to Senior Managementnot all associates that you see talking are just chatting a lot of the time they are talking about work asking a question or the like.

18 + years asst.mgr on down

Department Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBest company to work for in the country

ConsEthics of some not all of the mgmnt

Advice to Senior Managementservant leadership more important than delegating everything

Assistant manager

Metro Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsStability, benefits, pay, culture

Company is currently growing creating easier upward movement.

ConsThe problems associated with retail are the same with most companies. Some times of the year are great and others are awful.

Starting of with any company doesn't pay well.. Once at the salary level it is pretty decent in my opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementDont chase numbers, follow processes and measure success.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!