Walmart

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9 7,395 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,395 Employee Reviews

they only hire parttime,, you must be availiable 24/7 can almost never have a weekend off or holiday.

Wal Mart Cashier Photo (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosfastpaced always something diffrent....time sorta flys.

Consthey are never allowed to hire fulltime unless you supervisor,,or management. the play favorites and pretend like they cant fix or set hours. they let csms be rude to employees. this is a slave driving company. you need to wait 1 year before you can take a vacation. raises are 5 cents a year or 25 cents. the store is never staffed always understaffed. customers are always angry that there is no help in the store and not enough cashiers. they do this to save $$$. this is one of the worst companies i have ever worked for. do not work for walmart. this list of what is wrong with walmart could go on and on.....

Advice to Senior Managementhire more staff...let workers have more say on hours..give better raises....this company is pathetic..i will no longer shop at walmart anymore...also offer full time for hard working employees they want it and you people refuse it.

Great people at the hourly level.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsBenefits and opportunity are very good

ConsChange comes fast and furious

Advice to Senior Managementget a bigger back room

Run

Walmart Cashier (Current Employee) Napa, CA

ProsI befriended nice customers and always got my paycheck on time.

ConsI was the fastest, friendliest most proffesional cashier they had and never got promoteD. i applied for a lead position but another girl who had been there only two months was promoted because she was popular. Also, there was a bonus given to us and i got all excited about the extra 300 that would be on my check only to find out i didnt recieve the bonus because i was there for 5 months and 29 days, so was 1 day away from getting the bonus. But come to find out the girl who had been promoted after 2 months of sloppily cashiering got her bonus....hmmm, i wonder why? after digging deeper i found i was the onlyt person who did not get a bonus, needless to say i quit. the pay is horrible, and hours are worser, stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your cashiers, we are the last people your customers see. Do not promote people based of popularity, but who can do the job. were making minimum wage is horrible!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy

Store Manager (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsOpportunity for advancement, Belief that you're helping the average joe.

ConsLong hours, management guidance at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more human

Low pay and little recognition for hard work

ProsGood management team at my store for the most part. They will generally work with associates on scheduling, so the work-life balance is fairly good.

ConsTraining is almost non-existent, or at least extremely delayed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepartment managers salaries are barely enough to live off of. Recognize the work ethic in your employees and compensate them accordingly. The pay grade system in place is extremely unfair and disheartening. There are people in and around my department that do little to no work, yet they get paid nearly double my wage. And there's nearly no accountability for these lazy people either, which is why they continue to do so little. Increase accountability for those that call-in all the time, too. The rule where you can call in once and have the next 2 days not count against you is just absurd.

Unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent starting pay, employee training program

ConsManagement constantly contradicted one another, changed availability to suit them, whether you signed off on it or not.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are your employees, not enemies. Treat people with respect and they will respect you.

Good Work Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Thomasville, GA

ProsThey hire anyone and I mean anyone.
    There is opportunity for growth.
    yearly raises.

Consyou start off at 7.45 an hour
    management seems to never be on the same page
    If you work hard you'll likely carry your department and will not be noticed until 3 years after carrying it

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize who should be in management and who shouldn't
    Offer more full time positions with benefits

My experience with Wal Mart was neutral. I won't bad mouth the company it has it's benefits but I would not go back,

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsIn my opinion the pros of this company is it dies give employees a chance to make an income The hours were not always great but you were able to at least try to make ends meet

ConsThe cons in my opinion was some of the people in management played favoritism and I didn't feel it was always fare.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep closer eyes on the front end of the stores and pay closer attention to how the customers are being treated. Respect should ALWAYS be the most important factor when dealing with the public no matter what!!

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

"Not For forty cent a year"

Walmart Sales Associate (Current Employee) Ypsilanti, MI

ProsThis job is a great way to help better yourself for your next job.

ConsFavoritism throughout the whole company with tons of extra work with little to no pay increase, with very inconsistent hours which makes it extremely hard to work just this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementRole reversal! So upper management from assistants to store mangers so they can realize just how hard it really is to work in certain positions.

Walmart lives up to all of the negative reviews

Senior Director (Current Employee) Bentonville, AR

ProsThe individual store managers are good people with now real training. They are excepted to do so much with little help or support.

ConsThey are the bully on the block. Most corp. employees have lived in AR all of there lives. Walmart is the largest employer for the State. Which gives them full control over keeping everyone in line. Walmart lives by a different set of rules. Not what is fair or legal by the EEOC, Labor board or any government agency for that matter. They have a (20 plus) deep group of attorneys, to keep people stuck in the court system if they fight back. In addition, these practices go on with there vendor partners as well.

They are always spying on their employees thru blackberry's, lap tops, cameras, video and recordings located in home office as well as retail stores. They hire former FBI, Security Security ex-milatry people to uncover any problems with anyone, if they are falsely accused of a issue. Often they set them, to element them from the company, if need be.

92% of outside employees leave once their contracts are up with Walmart. The only people that stay are the people that live in AR. and have no where else to work. Horrible place to live and work. I can not wait until my contract is up, to leave myself. I personally Watched them destroy the careers of many people.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit lying to yourself about your scholarships for education for employees. You never had the funding for this but promote it. Your biz, benefits, ROI etc. (shareholder) numbers are false. You treat people very unfairly. Your marketing
    group liquid really fights hard to make you look good. But the real truth always comes out.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!