Walmart

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

189 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working as a Cashier at Wal-Mart

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee)
    Hinesville, GA

ProsThe hours were good. The time was swing shift type scheduling, but that was okay. You go where they need you.

ConsIt was hard to get people to sign up for a Wal-Mart credit card. The customers were never happy to asked the same question over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a kiosk specifically for people trying to apply for the WM credit card. The cashiers don't need the added stress or customer complaints about trying to make them sign up for something they have no interest in.

pharmacy otc

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
    Fitzgerald, GA

Proshours are good and I love my customers

Conspay is awful and the management needs improvement

Advice to Senior Managementneed to pay better

Plenty of opportunity if you seek it out and work hard.

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Holly Spring, GA

ProsThe company respects hard work and will reward it with your promotion. Opportunity is the biggest perk of being a Walmart associate. It isn't about where you start, but about where you can end up. I was hired as a part time cashier. After two months I was made full-time. Then after six months I was promoted to a customer service supervisor with higher pay and more responsibility. The company offers health coverage, dental and vision plans, a 401k retirement plan with a dollar for dollar match up to 6% of your pay, education benefits, a discount card, and $4 prescriptions. I went from paying around $400 a month for my medicine, to $60 a month under my parents insurance, to finally only $4 under my Walmart coverage.

Every day is unique, because you work with the public. I like helping people find what they need. Also, with Walmart's size we can offer many special services like Site-to-Store and several financial services.

ConsIf you want to move up, you need to be proactive. While I have had a couple of managers ask to mentor me to help me move up, not everyone has had that. You must work and put it out there that you want to move up. The same is with training. Walmart has a lot of training materials and classes, but implementing them in the stores can be spotty.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward management and associates for in-stock availability more so than keeping the budget down. I believe we will get better in-stock with proper training and people, but with incentives to keep costs down it is less likely to have the manpower to get those extra sales. I see these changes coming. Let's fast track them into implementation.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

As a seasonal worker it was a good experience.

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee)
    Ellijay, GA

ProsWalMart in a small town gives the opportunity to establish a customer base.

ConsLow ages and constantly changing shifts are least desirable qualities of the job. Because there were so many open positions, seasonal workers assumed that we would be hired. Management even told us that there were enough positions available that if we proved to be good workers, we would be hired on. However, corporate said otherwise and we were all let go with no notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give false hope of employment. Check with corporate first and be upfront with employees about the possibility of continued employment.

Good if you need a flexible part time job, horrible if you are looking to support a family.

Deli Associate (Former Employee)
    Rome, GA

ProsFlexible hours, nice coworkers, decent managers.

ConsVery low pay and hours. Usually given a very heavy workload and expected to do it in a small amount of time.
    Customer are always right no matter the situation. If You are trying to support a family this is NOT a good option.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon' expect so much from people making so little.

pros/CONS

Inventory Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Peachtree City, GA

ProsLearning your always learning, every 3 months or so something new comes out to make work easier and we are the guinea pigs. Always room to move up, you just have to work your butt off to do it, awesome teamwork, great people to work with

ConsUnderstaffed, ridiculous work loads put on associates, lower management held responsible for e everything, lazyness gets rewarded, work horses get more work, speaking up is frowned upon, pay scale is ridiculously lower then the national average, 5 yrs of breaking my back in the hardest store position got 2$ raise ��, offered job at nearest competitor and got 4$+ raise for less work... Upper management keeps us understaffed to help line there pockets.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates, raise your pay scale, dept managers shouldn't have 3+ areas- it is chaotic, yearly raises are great but 50¢ for exceeds expectations and 40¢ for the average associate stinks, telling associates there is no such thing as role model just so you don't give them 60¢ raise is degrading, management should learn how to speak to everyone not speak down to anyone, all rules should be followed not just for Inventory purposes, store managers should be in stores at least 40 hrs per week and available to all shifts,

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Lithonia, GA

ProsWalMart pays employee's for working on holidays

ConsThe hours at WalMart are limited

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fantastic!!

Shift Manager (Current Employee)
    Augusta, GA

ProsMoney!! The ability to make informed decisions on problems bigger than you. The ability to solve problems that have an impact on dozens and sometimes hundreds of associates that rely on you. The chance to get to know a diverse culture of people you have direct influence over. The #1 reason other than money is you have the power to change multiple peoples life for the good, and sometimes unfortunately for the worst, but hopefully we both learned from it! Now back to the money part, if you are dedicated, don't mind hard work, hard decisions, long hours and are willing to actually care about the people that work for you then you can make fortunes with Wal-Mart!! The job is demanding mentally and physically but if you are not prone to stress then you will be fine and you can advance quickly. Folks that get stressed out fast burn out fast and end up walking... I have seen it! I love Wal-Mart.. but one thing you have to understand, if you are not happy with your managers, rise above them, become their boss then coach them one thing.. people love working for people!!! Don't punish them, respect them, coach when needed and show them you do not have to be a hardcore tyrant to be the boss, I have a lot of power in my position but if you talk to those that work under or as I put it with me they don't see me as a boss, I am a leader!

ConsAhh the cons, yes sometimes you will end up working for a BOSS like manager that is not working in your best interest, it happens. You may be fortunate enough this is not your case. You can not pass judgement on a company that cares just because you ended up in a bad situation. I do not really have many cons at all, I accepted the long hours, challenging customers and associates that show up to put more work on you, that is the nature of the worlds largest retailer!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market and regional HR and Market and Regional managers should drop in, not that they don't, but it is not shared often, but walk in to a store, take a breath and sense the atmosphere and look beyond the normal day to day rituals and attempt to focus on interactions from associates and managers and customers.. I am not by any means saying this does not happen, it may, I can not make an informed decision either way.. but the impact that follows from such an encounter could result in a meaningful and enjoyable plan both financially and culturally.

Decent job

Grocery Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsHelping customers, bonuses, friendly co-workers for the most part.

ConsI hate the the scheduling. Working until 10pm one day, then coming in at 6am the next day.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your associates.

The Emotional Roller-coaster : Cashier Viewpoint

Walmart Cashier (Former Employee)
    Snellville, GA

ProsThe best reason to work at Walmart would be a) You need something immediately, (b) This is your first or second job, (c) You want to connect with people. Walmart gives bonuses to its associates via MyShare that range from $70- $200 every quarter for an average of 32 hours per week. They say it can be up to $2k but I have never seen this much in the 3 year experience I have with the company. If you are a friendly face, you will rarely see an upset customer. Your smile has a tendency to change people when they come to your register. There are however, customers that will report you for the dumbest things, even from giving them respect. The 10% discount card is useful for day to day use if you are buying junk food and quick snacks. It is mainly used to get tax off of big purchase items like T.V's purchased through Wal-Mart. You can forget it though if you have a price match from another store. Generally, the front-end become your family members. They are your brother and sisters and make around the same amount as you do, along with the same hours and headache. Even if you bump heads with the CSM's, they are trying to look out for their jobs just as you are to suck up to someone higher than them. The new dress code makes it easier to afford good looking clothes other than just blue and khaki. Your wardrobe is no longer color coded. Black and White, Blue and Khaki are the combinations. After 2 years of employment things get easier only because you are familiar with upper management and how they operate. The minimum requirements to not get into trouble from the CSM's. You receive healthcare benefits that are regularly deducted from your pay-check every 2 weeks on Thursday. There is no dental only vision and healthcare. Everyone there cares more than you would expect about how the store does, and how they do their job. We always joke about what a customer did and try, TRY to resist the urge to pull out our phones to take a picture of someone letting their daughter pee on the floor or come in with some crazy "Look at my burger king and mcdonalds rolls of fat in my mini skirt and bikini" look. At the end of the day you are so grateful to swipe that badge and get the hell out of there. NO looking back and always dreading the next day.

ConsNo promotions unless corporate decides to visit your store, not matter how hard you work. The first year is tough, especially in the winter. You only have a certain amount of days that you can call out for emergencies, sickness, etc. So you have to use them carefully and strategically. The time it takes for those absences to roll over will be like having to work a year to get 1 off. If you get written up, it locks out your opportunity to move anywhere within the store or in another store or Sam's Club establishment. If you are a beauty queen, extreme hair colors such as Red, Purple, Gray, etc are not excepted. Even some natural hair colors that look different on you (pending on what mood upper management is and if they like you) are not accepted. Piercings are definitely not accepted. The hours that you work are non-negotiable. The only way you can get your hours adjusted is if you have an official school letter or schedule stating what days you have to go. Any other reasons such as daycare times or "My son's school bus gets here at this time" will not be accepted. The hours you work also range. You can work until 12am one night and be expected to wake up and be clocked in at 9am in the morning. The least amount of hours between work they have to allow you is 8 hours. There are also no stable shifts. NO such thing as an (8am - 5pm Monday - Friday with Weekends off) Therefore the work-life balance is off by a majority. The turnover rate (How many people are hired and fired within a certain period of time) is so high that after a year you will not be able to keep up with new cashier names.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, because things will stay the same anyway.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings in Georgia — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All 189 reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees.