Walmart

Walmart Reviews in Georgia

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 304 reviews)

194 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

1hour lunch break

ConsManagers. Work-life balance. Work-load
    Disorganized
    Turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into complaints associates make about managers.
    Get your employees new equipment: pallet jacks, rocket carts, etc.

I enjoy working at Walmart for a variety of reasons

Cashier Associate (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe company is family oriented, my supervisors were all very fair. I love the 10% employee discount. It saves me a lot of money.

ConsI really dont have a lot of complaints,only that i sometimes wish i could get more hours

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvise all employees to have a good line of communication, it is really important to be clear, the job goes much smoother and I find it very productive.

Good Work Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Thomasville, GA

ProsThey hire anyone and I mean anyone.
    There is opportunity for growth.
    yearly raises.

Consyou start off at 7.45 an hour
    management seems to never be on the same page
    If you work hard you'll likely carry your department and will not be noticed until 3 years after carrying it

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize who should be in management and who shouldn't
    Offer more full time positions with benefits

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

ICS is Fun!

Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) Ellijay, GA

ProsI didnt have to interact with customers all that often, worked with a good bunch of guys in the back room. ICS gets steady hours compared to other positions.

ConsHard thankless work. People always telling you what to do, contradicting the last ones orders. Its not fun, its not a career, spend as little time as possible working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign.

Working as a Cashier at Wal-Mart

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee) Hinesville, GA

ProsThe hours were good. The time was swing shift type scheduling, but that was okay. You go where they need you.

ConsIt was hard to get people to sign up for a Wal-Mart credit card. The customers were never happy to asked the same question over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a kiosk specifically for people trying to apply for the WM credit card. The cashiers don't need the added stress or customer complaints about trying to make them sign up for something they have no interest in.

pharmacy otc

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Fitzgerald, GA

Proshours are good and I love my customers

Conspay is awful and the management needs improvement

Advice to Senior Managementneed to pay better

Plenty of opportunity if you seek it out and work hard.

Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) Holly Spring, GA

ProsThe company respects hard work and will reward it with your promotion. Opportunity is the biggest perk of being a Walmart associate. It isn't about where you start, but about where you can end up. I was hired as a part time cashier. After two months I was made full-time. Then after six months I was promoted to a customer service supervisor with higher pay and more responsibility. The company offers health coverage, dental and vision plans, a 401k retirement plan with a dollar for dollar match up to 6% of your pay, education benefits, a discount card, and $4 prescriptions. I went from paying around $400 a month for my medicine, to $60 a month under my parents insurance, to finally only $4 under my Walmart coverage.

Every day is unique, because you work with the public. I like helping people find what they need. Also, with Walmart's size we can offer many special services like Site-to-Store and several financial services.

ConsIf you want to move up, you need to be proactive. While I have had a couple of managers ask to mentor me to help me move up, not everyone has had that. You must work and put it out there that you want to move up. The same is with training. Walmart has a lot of training materials and classes, but implementing them in the stores can be spotty.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward management and associates for in-stock availability more so than keeping the budget down. I believe we will get better in-stock with proper training and people, but with incentives to keep costs down it is less likely to have the manpower to get those extra sales. I see these changes coming. Let's fast track them into implementation.

As a seasonal worker it was a good experience.

Wal Mart Cashier (Former Employee) Ellijay, GA

ProsWalMart in a small town gives the opportunity to establish a customer base.

ConsLow ages and constantly changing shifts are least desirable qualities of the job. Because there were so many open positions, seasonal workers assumed that we would be hired. Management even told us that there were enough positions available that if we proved to be good workers, we would be hired on. However, corporate said otherwise and we were all let go with no notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give false hope of employment. Check with corporate first and be upfront with employees about the possibility of continued employment.

Great company to work for

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Lithonia, GA

ProsWalMart pays employee's for working on holidays

ConsThe hours at WalMart are limited

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Fantastic!!

Shift Manager (Current Employee) Augusta, GA

ProsMoney!! The ability to make informed decisions on problems bigger than you. The ability to solve problems that have an impact on dozens and sometimes hundreds of associates that rely on you. The chance to get to know a diverse culture of people you have direct influence over. The #1 reason other than money is you have the power to change multiple peoples life for the good, and sometimes unfortunately for the worst, but hopefully we both learned from it! Now back to the money part, if you are dedicated, don't mind hard work, hard decisions, long hours and are willing to actually care about the people that work for you then you can make fortunes with Wal-Mart!! The job is demanding mentally and physically but if you are not prone to stress then you will be fine and you can advance quickly. Folks that get stressed out fast burn out fast and end up walking... I have seen it! I love Wal-Mart.. but one thing you have to understand, if you are not happy with your managers, rise above them, become their boss then coach them one thing.. people love working for people!!! Don't punish them, respect them, coach when needed and show them you do not have to be a hardcore tyrant to be the boss, I have a lot of power in my position but if you talk to those that work under or as I put it with me they don't see me as a boss, I am a leader!

ConsAhh the cons, yes sometimes you will end up working for a BOSS like manager that is not working in your best interest, it happens. You may be fortunate enough this is not your case. You can not pass judgement on a company that cares just because you ended up in a bad situation. I do not really have many cons at all, I accepted the long hours, challenging customers and associates that show up to put more work on you, that is the nature of the worlds largest retailer!!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe market and regional HR and Market and Regional managers should drop in, not that they don't, but it is not shared often, but walk in to a store, take a breath and sense the atmosphere and look beyond the normal day to day rituals and attempt to focus on interactions from associates and managers and customers.. I am not by any means saying this does not happen, it may, I can not make an informed decision either way.. but the impact that follows from such an encounter could result in a meaningful and enjoyable plan both financially and culturally.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!