Walmart Reviews

• Las Vegas, NV Area

Wal-Mart The Modern Egyptian Civilization

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Will hire almost anyone, decent temp work if your without a job...

Cons

Pay is atrocious, the demands on the worker do not meet the compensation... Lack of care and or understanding from higher ups. This place is a quite literally built of the backs of its hourly employees while those at the top sit around and play in there money.. .Most associates at my store are forced to use government assistance to make it buy. We just recently had a uniform change which we are expected to somehow purchase. I am sick of this company and im starting to think because its on my resume or listed as current employment that no one else will hire me... This coming from a prior retail assistant manager who was laid off during the Office Depot/ Office Max Merger.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding...

2. Store manager

Current Employee - Full Time in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Full Time in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I'm afraid I don't have anything good to say. The company has changed since Sam Walton passing and the just don't care about people anymore.

Cons

No life work balance. Over worked change the last quarter budget so you don't get a bonus.

3. Incredible learning experience.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company that is pro-associate. Allows and encourages associates to be involved in the community.

Cons

When in the management position there is a difficult work/life balance. If you want to succeed you must put everything else in the background.

Advice to Management

Follow policies 100% of the time. This is the only thing that will keep you fair, firm and consistent as a manager.

5. very educational

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wal mart is a good company to work for because of all the benefits they have for associates .like the associate in need program .They allow you to add a partner to your insurance even if you are not married which benefits associates that have not gotten married but are in a domestic partnership.They support going back to school . Previous Wal-mart store that I have worked for have been very family oriented

Cons

We continue to cut hours and we physically can not support the business with 3 closers in the store ... I do understand there are more reason why hours are cut ..When we have disgruntled customers that end up waiting for an associate to come help them.

Advice to Management

I feel that as Management we should be making sure that we always follow up and not make anyone wait .no matter what area we are assigned weather the frontend ,backroom,consumable,gm Apparel assistant we need to work more as a team

6. Hard work and doing a good job will not be recognized, but criticized.

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist (Store 1559- Nellis&Stewart) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When you're desperate for a job in a bad economy, Walmart might be the only employer that offers you a job, but it's not the place for a long term opportunity. Pay starts low at minimum wage with a 40 cent increase on your yearly anniversary. Medical insurance with low premiums/very high annual deductible for employees who work at least 30 hours per week. Dental for full time only. Full time at Walmart doesn't always mean 40 hours per week, at least half of the year it can be 34-39 hours per week. Take this job only to make some extra money while struggling and to show other potential employers that you were working part time instead of just being unemployed, but keep job hunting!

Cons

If you do a good job and stay for more than 3 years, management will find a reason to fire you or force you to quit by reducing your hours and giving you erroneous write ups. All your hard work and sacrifice will be for NOTHING including hard manual labor. If you show an interest in being promoted, you'll be set up for failure once in the higher paying position. Lack of team work and no tolerance for mistakes. Petty hourly supervisors like Department Managers and Customer Service Managers that falsely accuse new and long term associates of doing a bad job just to make themselves look good with the assistant managers.

Don't let the kind nature of the Personnel Managers fool you when you're interviewed or hired. Assistant managers do most of the hiring/firing and most are fair. But at every store in the country, there are some that have the old Wal-Mart way of thinking which means that all employees are replaceable no matter how long they worked for Walmart. Some Assistant Managers target long term part time employees for termination just because they work less than 30 hours per week even though they've never been offered full time hours. Full time associates are also targeted- being written up over minor mistakes like merchandising a shelf incorrectly. It doesn't matter if you're going to school, have another part time job so you can pay your bills, health problems, taking care of a sick relative, etc.- you will be a target for termination after 3 years. Most of the time managers won't shout or threaten you, they'll just tell you in a calm voice that you're being written up, fired, demoted and there's nothing you can do about it.

Some locations give special treatment to Hispanic associates allowing them to get away with breaking the rules while non-Hispanics get fired for the same behavior. Some of the black Assistant Managers at this location are very strict with white associates looking for any phony reason to fire them.

Advice to Management

Recognize all hard workers (not just the favorites in electronics) instead of singling them out for criticism. Long term employees should not be falsely accused of misconduct just to get rid of them and held to an unfair standard. Value part time associates, they are the majority of the company's employees. Don't "find a reason" to demote or fire associates because they changed the hours they're available to work.

Good place to start out in the retail side of business, but includes alot of work not just your own job.

Current Employee - Backroom Worker in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Backroom Worker in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you do what is assigned you can pretty much help other and waste time. But most of the times you will always be doing something or at least look like it.

Cons

Favoritism by managers can either take you far or get you fired pretty fast.
    You will be part time for 2 years or more unless lucky enough to get a full time position which is either dept. Manager or be an associate for 2+ years. Pay is every year depending on review most of times its 40 cents which is very low.

8. Typical retail on a large scale.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Large staff, lots of freedom. High pay without college degree, but hard to make sure unless salaried. Decent enough 401k and stock program.

Cons

It's Walmart. Customers include some of the lowest forms of life. The type of people who wear shower curtains as dresses and hide meat underneath them for later unlawful consumption.

Advice to Management

Pay everyone more, quit letting a small amount of power go to your head.

9. Potential For Success - High; With This Company, Not Sure

Current Employee - Co Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definitely lots of hands on experience to sharpen multitasking, merchandising, communication, profit/loss, HR and associate development skills. Enjoy working with a diverse group of individuals.

Cons

Recruiting on all levels searching for people that have the will to succeeds with minimal rewards and pay. Such a gap for those that actually run the store to the one who's name is on the receipt. Sometimes feels like I'm in training to be a great success with another company.

Advice to Management

Keep the innovations flowing. Incorporate real world check-ins on those innovations in all formats (and not just one of each, multiples in different demographics) to ensure that newly introduced processes will have a chance of success and longevity throughout the company.

10. Slim chance of changing positions once you accept graveyard shift

Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Henderson, NV
    Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Henderson, NV

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved the ability to interact with customers and gain experience working in different departments

Cons

Night shift takes a toll on your body

Advice to Management

No advancement on grave yard

11. Awful

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. This company has no redeeming value.

Cons

Company does not care about it's employees or customers. Manage is very unorganized and juvenile.

Advice to Management

Train all levels of management in customer service, employee interaction, and training.