Walmart

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

24 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good for Career

Senior Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
Benton, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than a year

ProsLots of Opportunities, Good Culture If you work hard you can grow...

ConsNeed to work long hours. Managers are from Stores and Distribution Center's Dn't understand iT very well.

Do you like part-time work without a consistent schedule? Wal-Mart is for you!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Conway, AR

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou receive 10% off of anything you don't need. After being employees for 3 months, you will receive a card that gives you 10% off of anything except food. This is great and all, but as Wal-Mart employees are just scraping by as-is, the thing they will spend most on is food! But don't worry, during Christmas time, the gods of Wal-Mart will gift you with 10% off of food as well! Thank you sir, may I have another?

ConsWhere do I even begin?

Do you like having inconsistent work hours from week-to-week or day-to-day? Well, you'll love Wal-Mart, it's a life of mystery!

Do you like receiving that yearly raise of $0.10? Working your part-time 20 hours a week, for one your, that comes up to an extra $104! Oh yeah! You can go out and buy that new pair of shoes you've been dreaming about! (In all fairness, if you're ranked very highly, you can get up to $0.60/hr raise if I remember correctly.)

Do you like getting a heads up when your schedule changes on you? Wal-Mart is not the place for you. I've seen this happen multiple times while I worked there, an employee would be scheduled to work at 10am the next day (or, maybe even be off), and at 8pm the night before, a manager would go and change the schedule to put the associate down as working at 8am the next day. Well, as you might imagine, the associate had no idea that they were supposed to be working. When the associate comes in, they find out that they missed when they were supposed to be in, so not only is their work day cut short (e.g. a few hours of pay lost), but now they received a point and they are in trouble for not being there at the scheduled time.

Do you like having nights and weekends off? That's exactly what you won't get working at Wal-Mart.

Do you like incompetent managers and double standards? Well Wal-Mart is the place for you! I've seen many instructions from managers at Wal-Mart that didn't seem logical at all. Specifically, the store manager at the store I worked at. She would spend all day texting away on her phone, doing walks around the store every now and then. At times, she would go down to receiving to "help unload a truck because we're understaffed" only to stand right by the truck texting the whole time. During some of her walks around the store, she would find an endcap with one item out of alignment and call over the walkie to have an associate come over to fix it. It was one item, she could have just moved it back herself!

Do you like constantly being understaffed and covering an entire half of the store by yourself? Wal-Mart is the place to go! Many times the store is extremely understaffed. So understaffed that on many occasions, there's one associate covering an entire half of the store, and management then calls that one associate to go up front and check. Later on, that one associate gets in trouble for not having their department stocked and zoned before management checks it.

Speaking of being understaffed, at first I thought it was because they were having trouble hiring people. After working there for a while I realized that it has nothing to do with not hiring people. In fact, there are many people going through applying for jobs all the time. It is because they don't want to spend the extra money to hire anyone else. This leave situations like I mentioned before, where one person is covering an entire half of the store. So, if you NEED another associate there, what do you do? You have two options, you can either give one of your associates more hours, bumping them up to full-time, or you can hire a new part-time associate. Wal-Mart will almost always pick the latter of the two. If you make an associate full-time, you have to pay for benefits. If you just hire another part-time associate, you can hire them on at minimum wage without benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best thing Wal-Mart could do for its associates is not treat them like disposable trash. Spend a bit of money on them, give them a few extra perks. Don't call people over to fix a display because one item is not straight, and don't just sit in the management office texting all day.

The company is not as bad or as good a media portray. I would have given 3.5 stars if I could have.

Infolytics, Tools & Process (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

ProsStability, above average non-health benefits, change careers without changing companies, global, restricted stock rights, solid 401k options, fluctuating bonus based on performance factors

ConsVery poor health insurance for the cost (5k+ deductible on many plans, max out of pocket around $10k), self funded health insurance so consistently challenged on every little claim. By going with my spouses insurance I save 3500.00 a year even though my monthly premium is higher. The vacation/time off is really hard for newer associates. You have to be here a while before you earn what some companies start you off with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach, if you want to be “EDLC” stop bringing in celebrities for shareholders, Stop quarterly & yearly meetings with thousands of people. This wastes our money with very little in return. This can be summed up in an email or video message saved on a site.

Management and the company overall made this job impossible to live with.

Cashier/Service Writer (Current Employee)
Cabot, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly coworkers, fast paced work.

ConsNever a set schedule, low pay, minimum raises, ridiculous policies, biased management who play favorites.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit playing favorites, and worry more about associates than policies.

Good Company to work for.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Proslots of benefits for full time employees. Always team building

ConsAlways work weekends and holidays and long shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to treating all employees the way sam did.

Love working here!

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
Conway, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

ProsWalmart can be a great place to work. It is all about what you make of it. I was in the company less than 6 months and promoted twice. It is easy to move up when you are dedicated and good at what you do!

ConsThe only issue I ever have are certain associates who don't want to work but that is with every company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways follow through. Keeps notes so you don't forget anything!

Not to bad...

Office (Former Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking an early morning schedule
Getting the chance to constantly learn new skills

ConsIt's hard to become a full time employee
Expectations can be difficult to achieve
Stressful

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic and make the appropriate adjustments in order to make things happen.

Walmart is a good job

Walmart (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Prosgood pay is very great

Consmanagers are sometimes mean to you

Advice to Senior Managementcbls are annoying

Customer Service Supervisor

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee)
Lonoke, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDecent benefits if employed full time, work around schedules, friendly environment. Opportunities to change work areas. Decent management at my store.

ConsPay could be much better. Not enough employees to cover the entire store and properly take care of the customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, show that you appreciate them and the work that they do. Get to know your employees, greeting them by name can go a long way.

Great company culture

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Benton, AR

I have been working at Walmart as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat work environment and really nice co-workers for the most part.

ConsSalaries are not the most competitive

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart Videos

Walmart – Why Work for Us?

Our Businesses Our mission is to save people money so they can live better. And every division, business unit and department that makes up Walmart is committed to using our company’s size and scale to make the biggest… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart reviews and ratings in Little Rock, AR — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart CEO Doug McMillon. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Walmart employees.