Walmart Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
128 reviews filtered by
  • Los Angeles, CA Area

OPEN DOOR MEANS< THERE IS THE DOOR!

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co.workers , great customers

Cons

They promote only their buddy's, not the most qualified!

Advice to Management

Return phone calls. take away your open door policy! If you use the open door you will be fired 9 people in 3 mo, by same Asst. Manager some fought for their jobs back and got them. Some is wrong in Simi. Bring back Sams Values!!!

2. its a job

Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Order Filler in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

do what you are told and you will be mainly ignored, which is good in its own way. its a job but not much more

Cons

you arent a person, you are a robot which needs to do their job. if any manager ends up paying you too much attention they get rid of you. totally expendable.

Advice to Management

people are people. just because we arent paid much doesnt give you the right to treat up like slaves. that said, keep paying me and ill be there every morning

3. do not work there

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

managers are never on the same page

Cons

managers never on the same page.

5. Working for Walmart is what you make of it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Walmart is a highly diversified workplace. The structure of the company is such that you will experience a wide variety of supervisors and managers. At this Walmart there were many opportunities offered to move around. There were lateral positions, upwardly mobile positions, and positions of lesser responsibility, all available to me as an employee. I enjoyed my experience there and stayed with this store for about 16 months. Requesting time off was never a problem as long as I provided ample notice. FYI... no time off in retail from Thanksgiving to New Years so I never asked during this period. The management pushed us hard but we always maxed our bonus. I really enjoyed that!

Cons

There were several challenges, but the biggest one is that it is impossible to earn a "living" wage working for Walmart as long as you remain an hourly employee. At least this is true if you live in Orange County, CA. I would have liked to move into a salaried position, it didn't happen, so I moved on to another company that would recognize my talents and abilities.

Advice to Management

In a company as large as this, in a store as large as this, it is pretty difficult to stand out from the crowd. We had some awesome Assistant Managers that tried to promote the hourly employees. Listen to them, they want the store to succeed and they want their bonus too. They wouldn't advocate for someone if they didn't feel they were capable. Additionally, the Assistant Managers are the ones that work with the hourly employees so they do know a bit about them, their capabilities, and where they could best be used in this company.

6. It's sad, really.

Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience is unparalled. You're given a VAST amount of responsibility even as a low-level supervisor that place you toe-to-toe with a store manager of another company. The relationships with coworkers is closer to being in a family than having a job.

Cons

The payscale is laughable at best. The politics between management is reminiscent of high school and is incredibly unprofessional. There is favoritism. The stores are understaffed and you will always be short-handed. Management doesn't care if you are short-staffed. The general leadership tactic they practice and openly TEACH new management and supervisors is fear based. "Do this or else". I love the company, I love my job, I even like a few of my superiors, but none of that changes the fact that this is the worst job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Give opportunity to someone other than your friends.

7. i can do the cashier, and i can do a good job at organizing.

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

i like to work here because i wanted to earn money for my family and me to buy things that's what i like.

Cons

bringing peoples food up for them to pay for it.

Advice to Management

i can do lots of things like cleaning and helping people out.

8. Supposed Patient Service Philosphy

Former Employee - Dual Licensed Optician in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Dual Licensed Optician in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview was easy, they are always looking for Certified opticians, good if you want part time.

Cons

Random hours or poor hours for the newly hired, many small procedures and minutiae that must be followed that takes away from patient care focus, supposedly all work for the good of the patient but bottom line quotas do exist, training is almost non existent, poor pay.

Advice to Management

Respect employee needs and make fair schedules, explain what bottom line quotas should be met, coaching is still a reprimand no matter what you say.

9. Great Entry Level/Management Plays Favoritism

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your position and coverage you'll learn almost everything. Growth in the company is very political or how much butt you kiss.

Cons

Doing everything they ask you to do is draining. The management time management is unrealistic. Almost no management follow store policies.

Advice to Management

Maybe pay attention to your associates more? Professionalism shouldn't have to be defined by the way some of us look.

10. It was humbling.

Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Frozen/Dairy/Meat Sales Associate in Carson, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The "family" atmosphere. My coworkers were really fun to be around. There is definitely opportunity for promotion within the behemoth of a company is Walmart. Work smarter, not harder, and you should be promoted; that is, get an education and acquire valuable skills.

Cons

They treat employees like slaves/drones. There is a lot of menial labor. There is a lot of paternalism-being treated like a child by management. My supervisor literally followed people around and counted how long they were in the bathroom, stood at the time clock, and constantly micromanaged (so inefficient and demeaning).

Advice to Management

If your associate is clearly intelligent do not be threatened. Promote him/her. Give him/her more autonomy.

11. Crappy place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a pay check.

Cons

Managers play favorites. They also don't pay their employees enough for what they're expected to do. I've been there almost two years and am expected to handle almost everything in the store on a regular basis, only making minimum wage. Good luck trying to go to school while working here. Kept getting scheduled during times I said I'm not available and got told how "out of line" I am for having my availability anything less than full while working in retail, especially at a 24 hour store. "I might understand if you were helping a sick family member or something, but school isn't an excuse." Manager's words, not mine. Pretty much your only chances at getting a promotion are if you're in good with someone or if you get REALLY lucky. They give pay raises when you hit you're one year anniversary, but they're extremely small (as in, consider yourself lucky if you get more than 20 cents).

Advice to Management

Be attentive to your employees' needs and quit playing favorites.