Walmart

2.9
7,725 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 304 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for starting out. But keep up the job search while you work there.

Former Employee - Sales Associate - Sporting Goods  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Sales Associate - Sporting Goods in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Probably the easiest job in the world. They have an open door policy that seems to work well. If you're lucky you'll have some nice coworkers to hang in there with.

Cons

Way too many layers of management. You get a different task from each one or the same task they want done in different ways. Feast or famine work hours. A tad above minimum wage. Not much opportunity to advance.

Chain of command. Follow it.

it was busy

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Grants, NM
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Grants, NM

Pros

its a busy place to work for

Cons

its a busy area of the store all the time

god managemnt

Friendly, easy going environment

Former Employee - Assembler  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assembler in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

I worked as as assembler in the back of Walmart. There was a lot of freedom. My main job was to assemble bikes and sometimes outdoor items such as grills. I also had to keep the bike floor stocked and the toy aisles nice. I was allowed to take my breaks and lunch when I wanted and my supervisor let me do my job and was happy as long as I completed all my tasks.

Cons

Only worked here for about a month because I was also going to college and I worked 4 hours Friday night, 8 hours Saturday and Sunday and 4 hours Monday night. I tried to get my hours switched but my supervisor either forgot or didn't care that I asked so I had to leave.

Listen to your employees and don't ignore them. The Assistant manager of the store who helped me with the quitting process understood how important school and was surprised the other supervisor did not change my schedule.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible place

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

The only good thing here is you will meet some really cool people.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism with all managers. If your not on there favorites list or kissing their butt you get stuck doing their favorites work, then say your lazy and don't do anything.

Pay attention to your managers and how they are really working!

Customer Service MGR

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Worked around my hectic military reserve schedule and college schedule. The managers were genuinely nice people, but they were inept and under-qualified for their jobs.

Cons

Employees are underpaid, they hire undesirable employees.

Good company. Bad management.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Rio Rancho, NM
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rio Rancho, NM

Pros

They can be flexible with your schedule.
    Easy to get the hang of things.
    Nice benefits.
    Great people (besides upper management)

Cons

Bad management.
    Hard to get up in the company.

Would be advised to hire the people who are actually passionate about the company and work hard to try to get farther instead of hiring random people off the street. When you have awesome people ready to take a step forward, don't hire someone else who barely meets the qualifications.

Hmmmm

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

Lower management and associates on your pay grade always have your back!

Cons

Management has no care for you or your health. Assistant manager wouldn't allow me to leave while I was having a miscarriage.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Las Cruces, NM
    Current Employee - Cashier in Las Cruces, NM

Pros

It gives individuals opportunities to make a livable wage.

Cons

Horrible treatment of employees by management. Hard to gain raises unless you are favored by the higher ups.

Stop with the favoritism and inappropriate work relations. Treat all individuals with respect.

I Loved my job as Assistant Manager because of the Associates and Customers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

I enjoyed working directly with all Associates and taking the time to listen to their concerns. This included sharing the lunch/break room with them! I figured that I was no better and that I had much to learn. The Associates know the store and they are the life blood of the store.

Cons

As an Assistant Manager I worked with all Associates and tried to understand and assist them. Other Assistant Managers and top Managers just did not get it that in order to run a successful store it must be managed correctly from the inside starting with the Associates. Once you disconnect or lose the connection with the Associates, customer service will take a dive, letters to the President will increase etc... Top management was too busy trying to impress others rather than paying attention to the needs of the Associates within the store. As a result customers were overlooked. I prefer a store that managed correctly in that management listens and appreciates it's Associates and customers. Such a store may be less attractive but clean, by not always trying to impress the District Manager. Simply put if Top Management at a store is constantly trying to impress then it does not know how to manage the store from the inside and is wasting valuable hours and resources doing double the work.

Be proactive instead of "Coaching Associates to Death". Listen and ask questions and give the new kid on the block an honest chance, instead of using Co-Managers to do one thing while you sell another story.

Alright

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Artesia, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Artesia, NM

Pros

I enjoyed working with the other associates at Walmart, and gaining experience in different areas of the store.

Cons

Long hours and being told to come in on days off without being able to make them up. Not much of a work life balance.

When Assistant Managers come to ask for a mentor, or help with struggles they are having, they should be taken seriously. You will get much more out of a person when you listen and try to develop a person, rather than saying they should just step down.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!