Walmart

8,804 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,237 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 173 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 362 reviews)

More Highlights

107 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loose Management

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Westbury, NY
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Westbury, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

...no real pros- some employees were about production

Cons

Unexperienced Managers/Late managers/Loose Rules/ some were fired

New Management

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get over 30 hours per week.

Cons

Managers have no manager skills whatsoever. Advancement is only there for those who they like. I worked in Secaucus NJ for 3 months and if you aren't Spanish then you will not be promoted. You work long hours and are horribly overworked with too high of expectations placed upon you. The Spanish employees there have a click and if they don't like you they will give you are hard time. The customer service is horrible because they hire people who can't speak english and customers constantly complain all the time they can't find no one who can understand them.

My advice to managements would be to fire yourselves. With a few exceptions managers have no idea what they are doing. They lack common sense, they have no managerial skills and they show favoritism toward Spanish employees.

A somewhat schizophrenic experience

Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Commack, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The stated culture and values of Walmart are good. I worked at the store level; there is computed-based training for much of the store operation. There is good opportunity for advancement. I progressed from a sales associate to a department manager and a zone merchandise supervisor. I was prepping for a promotion to assistant manager when I left the company.

Cons

Like many companies who hire entry-level workers at minimum wage, Walmart tried to operate with as few floor workers as possible during the economic downturn. This led to work not being done and complaints from customers which are misdirected at sales associates who can do little about staffing. Associates are asked to work extra hours to assist store management. Those same productive associates then have hours cut without notice to satisfy financial needs of the store.

There is a disconnect between out-of-store management and in-store management when it comes to store operations. Many times, in-store management completely disregarded direction from above as to how an individual store should be operated. An associate who tries to follow overall company direction can frequently come into conflict with in-store management over the store's direction, leading to unwarranted disciplinary action and unnecessary conflict.

Cashier

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open 24 hours. meeting different people. open 24 hours. open 24 hours. open 24 hours

Cons

getting under paid, working over hours, management sucks, racist and not a friendly atmosphere, not enough training

not friendly, only about money not people friendly

Great people, but I have a feeling store is not doing well with the no changes from management and will not last long.

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, knowledgeable, hard-wokring staff. I love the actual physically of my job and the reputation of a great produce section in my county in comparison to other supermarkets.

Cons

Too many bosses. I Still have questions about benefits after 4 months, My pay is not as high as I would like for the physical nature of the job.N. Not enough full-time employees or even opportunities to move up to full time.

Eliminate some of the unnecessary bloat at management and use it to hire full-time workers who actually know how to run there department, rather just just a tiny bit about each department- the store is too big for that kind of management,

Best and brightest

Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 1 company. Values are consistent throughout the organization. Do no believe everything you read unless you've worked for the company, the information you receive in the media is by perception or 2nd hand information. Some of the smartest, innovative people I have worked with in my career. Focused on apparel, but through the information we received regarding the other businesses, I was able to learn more about other industries.

Cons

Health care benefits could be improved but based on the recent announcements looks like they are addressing the issues.

Continue to focus on the strengths of the team and the organizations. Pay attention to the Alibaba's and others like them. Continue to trust your employees and in turn continue to inform them of the company strategies.

It's not as bad as everyone assumes.

Current Employee - Cashier in East Setauket, NY
    Current Employee - Cashier in East Setauket, NY

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours/worked around my school schedule.

Cons

Not much room for promotion

If you ask an associate to do something, you should also adhere to the same rules. ( no cellphone on the job, dress code, etc.)

ok

Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate in Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate in Lanoka Harbor, NJ

I have been working at Walmart (more than an year)

Pros

Alot of hours, ok pay, other places pay more

Cons

Terrible managers, over load of work, just a number, always "coach " you for dumb things like wrong color shirt. Always gave me a hard time with taking off, had my prom to go to and they almost wouldnt give me off, like what bull it that haha.

Stop being nasty just because I am an associate I'm not just a number.

It was ok

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in New York, NY

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can receive discounts there

Cons

There are no cons for this store

na

Management does not respect Associates. No manners, no training in "management 101"

Current Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Freehold, NJ
    Current Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Freehold, NJ

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Convenient work place. Nice associates

Cons

Working here was a true challenge. I have so much experience and managed a department. Deli Manager. No training, I was literally " thrown in". I know the criteria but I did not know their systems. It was very hard to get answers. Too many supervising managers with huge attitudes and loud radios. There was no chain of command. Time-off was determined by management, especially during the first 3 months, until probationary period had ended. We are always short help. People quit or call out or don't show. You are expected to pick up the slack. Heavy work, lifting, getting cargo from the warehouse or freezer and cooler. The true longtime Walmart employees do not talk back, they complain amongst themselves and work numbing themselves. A lot of people have problems...family, money, alcohol. I have never seen a place with such odd, weird and nasty management. As a manager I made 60 cents more than an associate. Personnel hires every day...a revolving door.

Treat people with respect and manners. Don't manage in this disrespectful way. You would retain good people. It is not the work but the way and style of "wallyland" management that makes them leave. No thank you and no respect for the individual. It was /is unbelievable and is basically a hostile work environment. Also, stop shaving off overtime...give people the money and hours they worked.