corporate.walmart.com

9,072 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,331 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

112 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Thought it was forever

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ladder to climb, so so training.

Cons

Can't work enough to make a difference, spread way to thin

Remember you are human....people have lives...not just Walmart

Terrible. This has to be the worst company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garfield, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay such as bakery/fresh foods $11-$12, quarterly bonuses, part time hours are pretty decent if they like you about 30-35

Cons

Managers are very rude and snobbish, they aren't flexible when it comes to school or other priorities such as children. Wal-mart never closes except Christmas and expects you to work on all holidays and come to work when there is a blizzard happening or during a hurricane (yes I'M SERIOUS). They don't care nothing about the store such as how clean it is, whether everything is in stock, whether everything is in the correct spot or has the right price tag unless corporate is coming. couldn't take it any longer and ended up quitting after almost 2 years.

Learn some manners, stop acting like you never started from the bottom and worked your way up, and start treating your employees with some respect.

Walmart Experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Uniondale, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Uniondale, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Walmart is a place that is willing to give most people a fair start at retail. The store seemed to be in demand for people to work, especially in the summer, so you have chances to earn a decent looking pay check. They also give a break for lunch that is usually 30 minutes to an hour depending on your shift. The Walmart I worked at, had a vending machine with cheap snacks that are affordable to associates who may have some loose change. Also customers may tip you for your services with heavy equipment, but be careful as management doesn't "allow" you to take tips.

Cons

Schedules are often random with hours and the hours are usually 9 hour shifts. A lot of times managers may ask you to stay later because they need the store to be organized or "zoned" as they like to say so that the people in the morning have a fresh start. However, this is difficult when they allow customers in past closing time. Managers also like to rotate you from your role which can be okay at times, but many times it takes you out of your mood at the job. Also a big thing is that your coworkers may be really lazy and so you have to make up for their slack.

A higher hourly salary than 8 and change an hour would be much more appreciated. Also keep people in the roles they sign up for or just hire more people to fill all roles.

They never give fulltime!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valley Stream, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Valley Stream, NY

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Certai benefits, would probably include discounts; for a person with two brothers and sisters; i would say that it helps. Other associates tend to be nicer, then imagined. Overall not bad!

Cons

The only real challenge, is getting more work hours. I've worked their for three years;and not once was i offered more than 25 hours a week. I did at on point get offered, a slither of overtime dor black friday; butbother than that no extra hours.

Give more hours!

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

I don't like the management

Be nicer

Loose Management

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Westbury, NY
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Westbury, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

...no real pros- some employees were about production

Cons

Unexperienced Managers/Late managers/Loose Rules/ some were fired

New Management

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get over 30 hours per week.

Cons

Managers have no manager skills whatsoever. Advancement is only there for those who they like. I worked in Secaucus NJ for 3 months and if you aren't Spanish then you will not be promoted. You work long hours and are horribly overworked with too high of expectations placed upon you. The Spanish employees there have a click and if they don't like you they will give you are hard time. The customer service is horrible because they hire people who can't speak english and customers constantly complain all the time they can't find no one who can understand them.

My advice to managements would be to fire yourselves. With a few exceptions managers have no idea what they are doing. They lack common sense, they have no managerial skills and they show favoritism toward Spanish employees.

A somewhat schizophrenic experience

Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Commack, NY
    Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Commack, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The stated culture and values of Walmart are good. I worked at the store level; there is computed-based training for much of the store operation. There is good opportunity for advancement. I progressed from a sales associate to a department manager and a zone merchandise supervisor. I was prepping for a promotion to assistant manager when I left the company.

Cons

Like many companies who hire entry-level workers at minimum wage, Walmart tried to operate with as few floor workers as possible during the economic downturn. This led to work not being done and complaints from customers which are misdirected at sales associates who can do little about staffing. Associates are asked to work extra hours to assist store management. Those same productive associates then have hours cut without notice to satisfy financial needs of the store.

There is a disconnect between out-of-store management and in-store management when it comes to store operations. Many times, in-store management completely disregarded direction from above as to how an individual store should be operated. An associate who tries to follow overall company direction can frequently come into conflict with in-store management over the store's direction, leading to unwarranted disciplinary action and unnecessary conflict.

Cashier

Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Middletown, NY
    Current Employee - Walmart Cashier in Middletown, NY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open 24 hours. meeting different people. open 24 hours. open 24 hours. open 24 hours

Cons

getting under paid, working over hours, management sucks, racist and not a friendly atmosphere, not enough training

not friendly, only about money not people friendly

Great people, but I have a feeling store is not doing well with the no changes from management and will not last long.

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Mahwah, NJ
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Mahwah, NJ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great, knowledgeable, hard-wokring staff. I love the actual physically of my job and the reputation of a great produce section in my county in comparison to other supermarkets.

Cons

Too many bosses. I Still have questions about benefits after 4 months, My pay is not as high as I would like for the physical nature of the job.N. Not enough full-time employees or even opportunities to move up to full time.

Eliminate some of the unnecessary bloat at management and use it to hire full-time workers who actually know how to run there department, rather just just a tiny bit about each department- the store is too big for that kind of management,