Walmart Reviews

10,396 Reviews
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,795 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

1. Lots of Changes

Current Employee - Non-Metro Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Non-Metro Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. The changes going forward should allow for many more qualified individuals to apply and work for the company.

Cons

"Work life balance." As an assistant I work 4 days on and two days off. More consistent scheduling for management. Hourly associates should never be paid more than salaried management.

The company has looked and decided that the department manager does a lot for the company. Lets look at the assistant manager as well. Otherwise, I am extremely excited to see what 2015 has in store for walmart.

2. Customer Service Manager

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM)

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked diligently for a year in my department, and an opportunity came to move up in my store, so I put in for it and was promoted. The opportunities are there, you just have to work hard for it. Opportunities are also there for raises, bonuses, etc. Decent pay, you can start above minimum wage, and new pay structure coming in April will also help.

Cons

Communication between management and supervisors/associates seems to be a major problem most of the time, no matter what the store size. Also lack of consistency seems to be a big problem with decisions

Be on the sales floor more often to communicate with store associates. Also make store policies more clear to associates and customers.

Decent steady work, small lack of management though.

Current Employee - Unloader Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Unloader Associate in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

As an unloader the work is pretty steady but the occasional bad days with call ins and huge truck loads, and also easy days of no truck days and helping out in other areas.

Cons

At my job there is a lack of management to actually see the laziness of some of the coworkers. Some who should be pulling more weight but are often found walking around acting like they are doing something when they're just talking and flirting with other co workers.

Keep a closer eye on all workers. Being able to see who is a hard worker and who is actually hardly working would make a difference. Get on those who don't work and appreciate those who are.

5. It's a great place

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Flexible schedules
    The culture is awesome

Cons

Benefits aren't the best but they are helpful.

6. Management changes

Former Employee - Department Manager/Hardlines Areas (9 Years) in Delaware, OH
    Former Employee - Department Manager/Hardlines Areas (9 Years) in Delaware, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Stable work hours for full-time positions.

Cons

management style varies by location, not all stores work in the same way

communicate with associates, make sure all involved are working towards same goal

7. Great to work with everyone here No major issues or anything. Got promoted to manager within a year of working there

Current Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Des Plaines, IL
    Current Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Des Plaines, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People who help you when you are having issues, customers arent as demanding as other stores ive noticed. Lastly the pay is great compared

Cons

Sometimes there are cliques but you can overcome that, hard to shop there when you work there because everyone knows you, wishing for better pay

I am an assistant manager , my brief experience showed me that communication and teamwork are important as it is with any job

8. Don't be afraid of change.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Walmart has taken the time to figure out the simplest ways to conduct retail tasks and has easy SOPs to complete those tasks.

Cons

Retail is detail and sometimes, associates do not have the time to focus on the details to ensure a pleasant customer experience.

Follow the SOPs and routines that are in place. They are there for a reason. When the front of the store has (your name here)-Mart on the front, change the processes, otherwise, run the programs and the store will run smoothly.

Cashier

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Quincy, MA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay for retail $10.00 and raises twice a year making $11.50 within a year.

Cons

Same floor mat used over and over by every cashier no fresh mats for next shift to stand on. My body ached after a shift from standing on one spot on a unless mat.

Change out mats with each shift and let each mat recover for 24 hours so it offers support for cashiers standing in one spot for their shift.

10. Wonderful experience overall.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

great staff. Unlimited possibilities for career advancement

Cons

You are required to have to work long hours as a manager.

Compensate management team for working more than scheduled shifts.

11. Great Company

Former Employee - Real Estate Design Assistant in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Real Estate Design Assistant in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent corporate culture. Wonderful community involvement. There are lots of benefits and opportunities available.

Cons

Unfortunately honesty is only highly valued if it's camouflaged in a happy attitude. I also found that being too good at your job is more apt to prevent advancement.

Be more open with the associates before making changes to allow for planning for the changes. Sam valued the ideas of ever associate, you should too.