Walmart

9,992 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,673 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience is okay

Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Jewelry Sales Associate in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My pros for working at Wal-mart is that it's close to home and it's a job.

Cons

The challenges are you can't have set hours and you can't get full time not unless you become a manager

Work with your employees

Cashier

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being around the customers is great, I love a good challenge with a bunch of price matching and couponing. I loved watching over the self check out, making sure customers had a clear view on how to work the machines.

Cons

The only cons is that they do not accept doctors notes, and they really do not care how sick you are, a call off for any reason is counted against you.

I think management needs to be more friendly, and needs to get to know more of the on floor people. They kind of just walk around like we are their little peasants.

Not all stores are like this

Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any. Maybe being able to transfer?

Cons

Unorganized crazy managers, low pay, will NOT work with schedule and treats everyone like a useless robot or teen in highschool. Ur life doesn't matter, it's the needs of the store before u

Be more understanding, and considerate of people's lives.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great place to work and great people to work, has a lot of good benefits and a great place to work.

Cons

Not to many hours when u first start, and a lot of people call off and don't get written up.

Great management

Assistant Manager. Good Company to develop a great skill set. Workaholic competitive type personalities only

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay and Large yearly bonus. As Management I never felt my Job was in danger. At most I felt like my bonus was in Danger. My take home was 45k yearly with % based bonuses usually averaging 5k for me. (part of your bonus relies on the other stores in your market...if they do bad, you loose money) This company is for competitive, workaholic personalities. My philosophy is that if you know what you are getting yourself into you can't complain. I gained a lot of experience with this company. Managing stress, money, and people. I honestly feel like i can do anything after do this.

Cons

Rotation schedules. As a single young adult. I had no problem with the schedules. I was normally at work around 12-14 hours a day for 4 day stretches with 2 days off while working the day shift (730am-8pm) and 4 days on 4 days off with the night shift (730pm-8am) or 4 on 4 off with the new 130pm-130am shift. Expect to almost always stay late, Work most weekends, and nearly every holiday. Yes even Christmas. The store may be closed, but someone has to get the store ready for business on Dec 26. Normally a few salaried managers, the normal overnight crew and all hourly management come in 10pm on Christmas night and work until 7am.
    I have left the company because I cannot cope with the hours as a family man nowadays.
    Hourly employees are grossly cut at some times of the year and as Salaried Management you will be expected to make up for the lack of staffed hours. And you will do it because its in your best interest. If you bring in low numbers you will get visits from market managers that will expect you to turn things around with no help whatsoever.

Treat employees like people. Just because someone is salaried it does not mean that they are a robot. People need sleep, nutrition, and a semi-regular schedule. Hire over night management that stay overnight. No more rotation between a year or so on days, then a year or so on nights. Most people just don't have in them to work like that. My last 18 month on overnights consisted of sleeping 3 hours a day. That effected my ability to be an efficient manager. Be smart and let the people who enjoy and want to stay on nights, stay there instead of rotating. It would solve a lot of problems.

Fun-filled atmosphere!

Former Employee - Maintenance Associate in Sumter, SC
    Former Employee - Maintenance Associate in Sumter, SC

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love the dress code, it helps to make you look and act in a professional manner. I loved that job. It was a blessing!

Cons

There really wasn't any challenges that were too hard for me when i was working here. It was a pleasure working there.

Keep up the good work!

Wal-mart is a great company to work for. They teach you a lot about outstanding customer service.

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Neptune, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Neptune, NJ

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

The associates i work with are more like family. Most are very supportive and knowledgable.

Cons

Wal-mart shows too much favortism. They do not offer overtime. Some supervisors are not reliable.

Put your employees first. Just like the associates put the customer. Hire those willing to work.

Great employer, lots of options to move up, great benefits as well as 401k and profit sharing

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, great benefits including great vision insurance, employee discount, 401k with match, stock purchase, overall great employer

Cons

Minimal holidays off, often working weekends,

Thanks can go a long way and lead by example. Bad attitude trickle down so motivate to get the best results

Good company but didn't like the work hours

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Competitive, good pay, good benefits

Cons

Never know when you will get off

Team work very strong on meeting our quarter fast pace environment.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people strong work environment company picnics

Cons

Product not delivered on time.

Just to up date the companys computer system and talk to the deliverers.