Walmart Reviews

Reset
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
2,836 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• The work/life balance with the company is very flexible (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance with day shift schedule (in 183 reviews)

• I was not able to support myself with near full time hours at the base pay (in 374 reviews)

13,643 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Room for growth

Current Employee - Optometry in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Optometry in Weston, FL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been here for 2 years, started in the frozen/dairy department and now work as a certified optician. Moving up, flexible hours, good pay is great for a part time job while I work toward my college degrees to move up even further at Wal-Mart.

Cons

Sometimes it gets very busy, but if you can manage your time and multi-task you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like a team, show them you are willing to work with and listen to them, not dictate, lead by example.

From an Asst Store Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Amarillo, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Amarillo, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Advancement opportunities, great at developing skills, great place to learn a skill and grow your resume, or grow with the company.

Cons

Understaffing issues negatively affects all parts of their business. However, Walmart has increased their minimum hourly rate with hopes to attract more committed employees, and retain better employees.

Advice to Management

At the store level, any time you are called in to over ride an associate following company policy, make sure that you first make it clear to the associate and customer that they were doing their job and that you are making an exception.

Stocker

Pros

Money , hours , breaks , people , environment

Cons

Management!!!! IT WAS HORRIBLE

Advice to Management

Be nicer to the employees were all a team

be prepared to work hard for little pay

Pros

you get to meet new people.

Cons

this place has alot of cons but one is that management treats you like dirt and you probably will have to run multiple departments is they're short on associates.

6. Work

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Vernal, UT
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Vernal, UT

I worked at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved working there. I had became friends with so many of the workers. I loved the staff there. I had a great experience there. I loved interacting with the customers. Loved every bit of it.

Cons

None, Other than I wish I still worked there.

Advice to Management

To Keep up the excellent work.

7. Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bakersfield, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always something to do, very little down time. If you're a newer manager, you'll learn a lot, quickly. Discount, especially during holiday season is quite helpful. Also, a lot of great community outreach programs, and programs that help out less fortunate families.

Cons

Lots of drama. With so many employees, it can get to be a lot of baby sitting. You also will get notes on top of notes, sometimes with unrealistic expectations. If you are newer and learning, there can sometimes be a sink or swim mentality. A lot of the other managers will have so much going on, they won't have time to help you, or teach you things you didn't learn in the training courses. Long hours. If you're Salaried, don't expect to go home when you're scheduled off.

Advice to Management

This company makes more money than it knows what to do with. Actually paying some more to the employees, and not doing it at the expense of eliminating positions, or cutting hours, or cutting benefits, etc; would go a long way. You have a lot of lifers, that love the company because of Sam Walton experiences that they have had. Your employees do a lot of work, they should be rewarded for working in and making Wal-Mart the most profitable company in the world.

8. Lots of opportunities

Current Employee - Director in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Director in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You can have multiple different types of jobs and never leave your employer

Cons

Large and bureaucratic. Things change quickly. Can make it hard to stay the course.

Advice to Management

Listen to all of your associates, including middle management.

9. Newer Overnight Assistant Manager

Current Employee - Overnight Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Overnight Assistant Manager in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've only been with Walmart for a year so far. It has it's pros and cons like any other company. I had some doubts after first joining them. Recently though with some of the structural changes I'm beginning to change my mind. Overall right now my biggest pro would be my schedule. As an Overnight ASM I work a 4 on 4 off schedule. 4 12 hour days and then I'm off for 4 days. The benefits package is decent though nothing very special about it. Pretty standard overall. They do have an associate stock purchase program with a company match from day one. Other than that everything is rather ordinary.

Cons

It's retail, if you've worked in retail you know that explains a lot. There are good and bad stores. It all depends upon the people in the store. The store I'm in is rather old so there are a lot of long term associates. Some have had bad experiences in the past so they don't trust management now.

Advice to Management

Continue on with the new structural changes, increases in hourly pay and the refocusing back onto the customers.

10. Coordinator

Current Employee - Personnel Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Personnel Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The Pros of working for Walmart are the career opportunities, benefits and balance in personal/work life. In my Walmart career, I have obtained my Bachelors degree, obtained my Real Estate License, pursuing my MBA and I have been able to spend time with my son while completing my career goals.

Cons

The cons of working for Walmart is the relationship between management and associates. Management needs to understand that they can still support their associates while receiving their respect of authority

Advice to Management

My advice to Management would be to listen to their associates more and to be hands on. Associates appreciate when their management take out the time to support them in their career growth, provide feedback on their current position and help them in their day to day job routines.

11. Cashier

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Benefits, Hours can be flexible

Cons

Pay could have been better

Showing 13,643 of 13,763 reviews