Walmart Reviews

8,400 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,088 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 74 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 163 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 354 reviews)

More Highlights

I work at the walmart distribution center as an unloader processor and I love it!

Current Employee - Unloader Processor in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Unloader Processor in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay. great benefits. no experience necessary, they train you, then give you a useful trade, and a license to use the forklift.
    pays more than any of my other jobs. plus after the months and then every 6 months for the first 2 years, you get a pay increase. you go from 16.45 to 19.50 after 2 and a half years.

i was willing to do any job just to get my foot in the door. but luckily i got one of the easier ones here. they do have jobs here in this warehouse that lifts and loads boxes andshipments by hand ALLL day. but as an unloader processor on the sams side, im not rerquired to lift anything by hand. I do all the lifting with the forklift! I love it.
    They also teach you how to use the forklift for the first time.
    They train you for 8 weeks. And you have weeks during training to mess up without the fear of getting in trouble.
    Everybody is very friendly and supportive.
    you dont have to deal with customers!! thats one of the best parts! I came from a call center, so all day i had to listen to complaining customers and I had to kiss butt. here i have my forklift, im left alone, i do my job. i dont really have to deal with people. i dont have to sell anything. i just take that forklift, lift things out the truck, set it down in the building then go back in until i get the rest. i do that all day. very easy. I get paid good money for this!
    If youre lucky enough to get a call back, definitely take it and be grateful. so many would do anything to get their foot in the door.

Cons

its hot in the warehouse at night

thank you for being so supportive. for the great training. for making me feel like you were looking to actually see me succeed and not just there to boss me around

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Poor communication and inconsistent direction from upper management.

Get on the same page. Either decide to follow company protocol 100% or not at all! Stop swinging back and forth.

its okkay

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

clock in and clock out

Cons

They are horrible people. They need to treat they workers with dignity

To everything there is a season.......except Walmart

Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job opportunities were plenty at that time. You had the opportunity to learn everything because there were no hourly associates to give the work to! Three on, three off sounds great until your store manager feels the need to 'request' you come in on your off days because your PAD PARTNER, can't handle all the responsibility when you are gone............
    If the company would look at its beginning and current business model with open eyes, there is a way to achieve the goals they seek without overworking employees and disenfranchising customers.

Cons

Taking advantage of advancement opportunities was difficult. It depended on who you are and who you knew. Market level managers manipulate every salaried managers performance evaluation to reflect the outcome he/she is looking for total market. I went from an exceeds performance evaluation at mid-year, to a meets expectations at final, in a 6 month time frame with no negative comments or documentation in the entire year. This was done to every manager in my store, the best and the worst of us all got the same final eval rating. This manipulation occurred because the store financial and profit performance was exceeds, which meant any Manager achieving above a 'Meets Expectations' rating would receive a max bonus. The MM needed to control the cost and impact of our success on the total market results. Store Management bonuses are now tied to Market success, and those results are influenced by the person most in need of controlling these outcomes for their personal benefit. "It's not MY Wal-mart anymore!"

When a Company can't walk it's own talk, it's time to get out! For those with any sense at all...understand that there is a reason the company is ALWAYS hiring and promoting managers! The store manager of one location I worked at went through 30 yes, 30! salaried managers in 3 years!! Do the math! 10 salaried managers a year on average! Unless you are ready to give up your home life, family time and work yourself like a dog, don't go for the money. There are certain areas I would consider working in and suggest if you are interested in Walmart, you pursue Asset Protection Manager-Store, any management position in Logistics, provided you are qualified.

Great intentions, but out of touch with every day reality of running stores.

Former Employee - Human Resources in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Columbus, OH

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Walmart doesn't deserve it's bad rep. The company has good ideas and they do care about employees, more than is portrayed by an unhappy few. Lots of advancement opportunity if you are okay with falling in line, not with unethical practices or anything, it's just very top - down decision making. Employee experiences vary widely based on the quality of the store mgr (many who were great!). Great emphasis on the open door policy which works well most of the time. Overall better than they get credit for.

Cons

Execs are way off base about how things really happen in the stores - mostly because of the expected dog and pony shows when they do actually visit. Also they are so focused on keeping prices (and therefore expenses) low, that stores are chronically understaffed which leads to messy stores, out of stock items, little customer assistance, and the ubiquitous wait in line to check out. Now that I'm no longer w/ the company (downsized), I rarely shop there because it's frustrating to see these issues still not solved. Low prices, if that is what you really care about, this is the place to go, but you get a minimum experience as a customer and often as an employee, too.

Please loosen the choke hold on % to sales to labor costs ... the investment would more than pay for itself if the store level managers had enough employees (and thus, time) to really train and develop your people. One other thing, to really solve store level operating issues, ask and truly listen to what your experienced employees tell you.

I worked as a cashier where the AP staff watched us more than the customers. I also workedthe electronics department

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier/Electronics Sales Associate in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier/Electronics Sales Associate in Phila, PA

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed those who I worked with and the flexibility of the store

Cons

Management was terrible almost every department in the store was understaffed. Customer to associate ratio was easily 20:1 if not more. Unreal expectations, upward mobility wasn't based on actual work but rather how close you were with management. LONG LONG hours and very LONG shifts. No work life balance, you get off work and to go home sleep and prepare to get ready for the next day at work. No unions which means no associate protection. Unprofessional managers. This company in n way shape or form values its employees it is completely customer driven.Poor poor poor associate training, its like you do a few computer training's and then they just throw you to the wolves , to fend for yourself. It's a real learn as you go type of environment.

Need a serious fine tuning and readjustment.

Much better company than other chain

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

More helps and overlap pharmacist.
    great benefits such as 401k, health, and other insurance
    There is 30 minutes lunch break!!!
    Awesome computer software!

Cons

Rules are more strict especially when it comes to misfill.
    There are lots of mandatory counseling to do whether customer want it or not.
    Walmart now offer immunization like other big chain!!!

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Princeton, IN
    Current Employee - Cashier in Princeton, IN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You work with some good people.

Cons

Pay is not good. No room for advancement except if you kiss the bosses butt. You work your butt off to find out you get your hours cut but people who don't want to work get the hours. New people get better shifts while you get bumped to work bad shifts. Most managers at my store are a joke.

Treat your employees better. Promote the people who want to move up and work there butt off. Your management teams at my store show to much favoritism

My experience at walmart

Current Employee - Field Project Supervisor in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Field Project Supervisor in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Walmart believes in life work balance and follows through with creating a good life work balance

Cons

Sometimes you have to work long hours.

Keep up the good work. I really enjoy working for Walmart.

Good place to start a career

Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Choctaw, OK
    Current Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Choctaw, OK

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promoting from within, good culture, great people.

Cons

Little to no overtime, pay for associates starting out could be better.

Keep promoting from within and keep the sam walton culture