Walmart Reviews

8,478 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,119 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 168 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 355 reviews)

More Highlights

I work at the walmart distribution center as an unloader processor and I love it!

Current Employee - Unloader Processor in Williamsburg, VA
    Current Employee - Unloader Processor in Williamsburg, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great pay. great benefits. no experience necessary, they train you, then give you a useful trade, and a license to use the forklift.
    pays more than any of my other jobs. plus after the months and then every 6 months for the first 2 years, you get a pay increase. you go from 16.45 to 19.50 after 2 and a half years.

i was willing to do any job just to get my foot in the door. but luckily i got one of the easier ones here. they do have jobs here in this warehouse that lifts and loads boxes andshipments by hand ALLL day. but as an unloader processor on the sams side, im not rerquired to lift anything by hand. I do all the lifting with the forklift! I love it.
    They also teach you how to use the forklift for the first time.
    They train you for 8 weeks. And you have weeks during training to mess up without the fear of getting in trouble.
    Everybody is very friendly and supportive.
    you dont have to deal with customers!! thats one of the best parts! I came from a call center, so all day i had to listen to complaining customers and I had to kiss butt. here i have my forklift, im left alone, i do my job. i dont really have to deal with people. i dont have to sell anything. i just take that forklift, lift things out the truck, set it down in the building then go back in until i get the rest. i do that all day. very easy. I get paid good money for this!
    If youre lucky enough to get a call back, definitely take it and be grateful. so many would do anything to get their foot in the door.

Cons

its hot in the warehouse at night

thank you for being so supportive. for the great training. for making me feel like you were looking to actually see me succeed and not just there to boss me around

its okkay

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in White Plains, NY

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

clock in and clock out

Cons

They are horrible people. They need to treat they workers with dignity

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Erie, PA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Flexible scheduling.

Cons

Poor communication and inconsistent direction from upper management.

Get on the same page. Either decide to follow company protocol 100% or not at all! Stop swinging back and forth.

To everything there is a season.......except Walmart

Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Former Employee - Walmart Assistant Manager in Waterbury, CT

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Job opportunities were plenty at that time. You had the opportunity to learn everything because there were no hourly associates to give the work to! Three on, three off sounds great until your store manager feels the need to 'request' you come in on your off days because your PAD PARTNER, can't handle all the responsibility when you are gone............
    If the company would look at its beginning and current business model with open eyes, there is a way to achieve the goals they seek without overworking employees and disenfranchising customers.

Cons

Taking advantage of advancement opportunities was difficult. It depended on who you are and who you knew. Market level managers manipulate every salaried managers performance evaluation to reflect the outcome he/she is looking for total market. I went from an exceeds performance evaluation at mid-year, to a meets expectations at final, in a 6 month time frame with no negative comments or documentation in the entire year. This was done to every manager in my store, the best and the worst of us all got the same final eval rating. This manipulation occurred because the store financial and profit performance was exceeds, which meant any Manager achieving above a 'Meets Expectations' rating would receive a max bonus. The MM needed to control the cost and impact of our success on the total market results. Store Management bonuses are now tied to Market success, and those results are influenced by the person most in need of controlling these outcomes for their personal benefit. "It's not MY Wal-mart anymore!"

When a Company can't walk it's own talk, it's time to get out! For those with any sense at all...understand that there is a reason the company is ALWAYS hiring and promoting managers! The store manager of one location I worked at went through 30 yes, 30! salaried managers in 3 years!! Do the math! 10 salaried managers a year on average! Unless you are ready to give up your home life, family time and work yourself like a dog, don't go for the money. There are certain areas I would consider working in and suggest if you are interested in Walmart, you pursue Asset Protection Manager-Store, any management position in Logistics, provided you are qualified.

Corporations are corporations, not people.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of great tools and techniques in a leadership role, and was rewarded with promotions for my performance - WM has some great people at the hourly level that are very versed in the retail environment... but they are about to become extinct.

Cons

As with any corporation, WM continuously tries to paint a human face on the business... they donate a large sum of money to organizations and local communities, but despite the massive amount of profit that the retail giant reports each year, they continue to shave expenses at the real expense of the hourly level workers... taking the small amount of tangible benefits that they offer, and cutting them - further contributing to the separation of social and economic class that the US has been experiencing since the late 50's and the demise of US manufacturing.

WM... you say "Save Money, Live Better." Why don't you show your hourly associates (you know, your people that make a difference) some courtesy and restore some of the many benefits you have so wrongly taken away - its time for the folks that make a difference to be paid a true living wage as you continue to jack prices up higher alongside your competitors.

Great Company Overall

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Altoona, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Altoona, PA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Pay and benefits, good company culture, good employer as long as you perform in the job, steady employment with honest evaluations and feedback, a lot of advancement opportunities.

Cons

work-life balance is hard with a young family, holiday work, 3rd shift rotations, some associates can lack professionalism and makes some days feel like you are in high school.

Allow the managers to have control at the store level again, less centralized control , allow managers to manage.

Horrible place to work, verbally abusive managers

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It is a stable job

Cons

Incredibly long hours on your feet, verbally abusive manager

Unrealistic expectations, along with verbal abuse. Assistant managers shouldn't be treated this way to run your buildings

Wal-Mart

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oswego, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Compensation. Great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Flux hours and schedules. Little to none work life balance.

Highest pay for retail managers

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

higher pay
    good benefits
    excellent rotation for days off
    good work life balance

Cons

hard work
    tough clientele
    bad reputation
    hard to staff good quality help

Liked working there because the interacrion with people

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Get to see /deal with a lot of people

Cons

Some customers can really be trying the patience