Walmart

9,965 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,660 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

A very challenging atmosphere to say the least.

Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

The pay is good when compared to other positions within the store.

Cons

The training an associate does before getting to the sales floor stresses food safety and personal safety but once you are in your job you are told short cuts are how it is done.

Instead of the deli manager being out on the floor stocking and doing whatever it is she does, she should be watching what her employees are doing in the kitchen since they are not following procedures and put their duties off onto others so they can take longer breaks or use short cuts.

Cashier

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Ashland, OH

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Being around the customers is great, I love a good challenge with a bunch of price matching and couponing. I loved watching over the self check out, making sure customers had a clear view on how to work the machines.

Cons

The only cons is that they do not accept doctors notes, and they really do not care how sick you are, a call off for any reason is counted against you.

I think management needs to be more friendly, and needs to get to know more of the on floor people. They kind of just walk around like we are their little peasants.

Not all stores are like this

Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA
    Current Employee - BACKROOM INVENTORY ASSOCIATE in Simi Valley, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I can not think of any. Maybe being able to transfer?

Cons

Unorganized crazy managers, low pay, will NOT work with schedule and treats everyone like a useless robot or teen in highschool. Ur life doesn't matter, it's the needs of the store before u

Be more understanding, and considerate of people's lives.

Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great place to work and great people to work, has a lot of good benefits and a great place to work.

Cons

Not to many hours when u first start, and a lot of people call off and don't get written up.

Great management

Assistant Manager. Good Company to develop a great skill set. Workaholic competitive type personalities only

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady pay and Large yearly bonus. As Management I never felt my Job was in danger. At most I felt like my bonus was in Danger. My take home was 45k yearly with % based bonuses usually averaging 5k for me. (part of your bonus relies on the other stores in your market...if they do bad, you loose money) This company is for competitive, workaholic personalities. My philosophy is that if you know what you are getting yourself into you can't complain. I gained a lot of experience with this company. Managing stress, money, and people. I honestly feel like i can do anything after do this.

Cons

Rotation schedules. As a single young adult. I had no problem with the schedules. I was normally at work around 12-14 hours a day for 4 day stretches with 2 days off while working the day shift (730am-8pm) and 4 days on 4 days off with the night shift (730pm-8am) or 4 on 4 off with the new 130pm-130am shift. Expect to almost always stay late, Work most weekends, and nearly every holiday. Yes even Christmas. The store may be closed, but someone has to get the store ready for business on Dec 26. Normally a few salaried managers, the normal overnight crew and all hourly management come in 10pm on Christmas night and work until 7am.
    I have left the company because I cannot cope with the hours as a family man nowadays.
    Hourly employees are grossly cut at some times of the year and as Salaried Management you will be expected to make up for the lack of staffed hours. And you will do it because its in your best interest. If you bring in low numbers you will get visits from market managers that will expect you to turn things around with no help whatsoever.

Treat employees like people. Just because someone is salaried it does not mean that they are a robot. People need sleep, nutrition, and a semi-regular schedule. Hire over night management that stay overnight. No more rotation between a year or so on days, then a year or so on nights. Most people just don't have in them to work like that. My last 18 month on overnights consisted of sleeping 3 hours a day. That effected my ability to be an efficient manager. Be smart and let the people who enjoy and want to stay on nights, stay there instead of rotating. It would solve a lot of problems.

accounting tech 1

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly working environment, every one is nice.

Cons

Demanding and stressful working environment.

Happy with managers. They are good people.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Flexible scheduling, good work environment, great work-life balance, excellent opportunity for advancement within the company.

Cons

Covering other departments way to often due to poor scheduling, difficulties contacting members of management when they are needed

Always listen to your employees, try to be easier to when associated need assistance, keep giving hourly employees opportunities to advance their careers,

Walmart has been a great working experience. Everyone is nice and ready to get the work done. Great pay as well.

Current Employee - Orderfilling in Porterville, CA
    Current Employee - Orderfilling in Porterville, CA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

You start off with a great pay and after some time it increases over a period of 2 and a half years so that motivates you.

Cons

In the distribution center you have to adapt to a whole different environment. You want to learn fast in order to do well.

Interesting experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Warrenton, VA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Warrenton, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great hours time for outside occasions

Cons

Not enough pay but great hours

Communicate more with employees! !

Great company.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Multitude of career opportunities. Promotes diversity and sustainability.

Cons

Well, they do expect you to work.

Keep on keepin on