Walmart Reviews

Reset
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
2,514 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• The work/life balance with the company is very flexible (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance with day shift schedule (in 183 reviews)

• I was not able to support myself with near full time hours at the base pay (in 374 reviews)

12,720 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Room for growth

Current Employee - Optometry in Weston, FL
    Current Employee - Optometry in Weston, FL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been here for 2 years, started in the frozen/dairy department and now work as a certified optician. Moving up, flexible hours, good pay is great for a part time job while I work toward my college degrees to move up even further at Wal-Mart.

Cons

Sometimes it gets very busy, but if you can manage your time and multi-task you will thrive.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like a team, show them you are willing to work with and listen to them, not dictate, lead by example.

Walmarts unfair pay system.

Current Employee - Door Greeter in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Door Greeter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It is a steady job and helps in paying our bills. Able to transfer from one store to another. From one state to another.

Cons

I feel Walmart discriminates against The disable and elderly. They hire them as a show that they care, however most of them can only be in the position of door greeters. They are told they are the most important in the store because they are the first and last people customers see and that is the last impression thay are left with. Then they are given the lowest pay in the company. Most in these position are there because that is the only thing they may be able to do physically. I have been with Walmart for over 6 years along with my wife we have only missed 7 days total. We are there we we are scheduled. i have missed 3 days and my wife 4. I have lost over .60 an hour in the past year because I have to do a less physical job. Last year I was making $10.20 hr and recieved a .40 raise and now I make $10.00 hr a loss of .60 hr. The stores make up their own rules. ie: 3 stores in the same area. 1gives a daily premium of $1 daily after 5pm and all say Sunday. 2 other stores only give the $1 on Sunday. They keep saying we are a team but then they pay on differnt levels. If you are moved from one position to another you either are paid more or less depending on the level. However they don"t have enough jobs or things for everyone to have a chance to be on the pay level they need to make a living. If we are a team then why are we not paid fairly?They also bring in new employees and pay them almost as much as an employee that has been there faithfully for several years.

Advice to Management

Give your management team real training. they should not only learn how to run the store but they should be given people training. Sorry the customer is not always right. They should not always take the customer side but listen to both side and judge fairly. As a vet, we had to take training to be a supervisor. We had to learn to listen to our men and work with them and help them and also be able to get the job completed. Because the personal felt respected and that someome cared about them and not that they were just another person who could be replaced be a monkey. People like to to be treated with respect and diginity. We should not have to fear for our jobs everyday and we are really part of a team. Management needs to be more people oriented and not just business wise.

You get what you pay for

Former Employee - Associate in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Riverside, CA

I worked at Walmart

Pros

I left my orientation feeling as if I was starting a great career with alot of potential for growth as well as stability. Many of the Associates that I started out working with were 'OLD TIMERS" as we newbies called them. The base salary starting out was higher than most retail stores. After the first 3 months I received a 60 cent per hour increase in salary and again at 6 months and a 65 cent increase upon completing my first year. I also received increases in salary at the completion of each step of my training and was soon hired as a full time employee. I was able apply for and received retirement account and stock options. I was very happy initially as I was treated with kindness and respect by my department manager and the store manager that hired me. The store manager fostered a "family" atmosphere and encouraged his employees to be the best that they could possibly be. I was told that the room for growth was as "roomy" as I wanted it to be and I started out with a fair share of desirable hours with staff members who were very knowladgeable and helpful with my training as I had not worked in the retail sector before. Initially I was very happy and within 2 years my salary had increased by almost 4 dollars per hour.

Cons

The company has, since my initial hiring and subsequent quitting, gone through a great deal of change. No longer are full time Associates desirable to the company. They seem to have gone on a behind the scenes campaign to rid themselves of all full time and bennifited employees to a staff of inept and uncaring part timers whos only agenda seems to be to just make a buck and move on. The atmosphere is one of fear by the old timers and that it matters not that they signed on for a life time of faithfull service to Sam's Wal-mart as the new Walmart no longer finds them desirable and will use any excuse to be rid of them and end any bennefits they had thus far earned after 5 or sometime 30 years of employement. Now the hardest most valuable workers have to work nights, weekends and holiday's and watch newbies get the desired hours and days off. I have also witnessed and been the object of humiliation when a customer has demanded free merchandise or returned customer damaged goods and been givin a $50 dollar gift card after complaing about a service that they recieved and only complained because the word has gotten out that if you complain loud enough you will receive free things or if you take back customer damaged merchandise because it is now a widely reported word of mouth fact that Wal-mart will even take back Target merchandise to please it's customers who are taking advantage of it fully. Yet at the end of the year we employees lose a 1800 dollar bonus because of merchandise "shrinkage". And each year you are kept going with the idea that we will receive that bonus if we, the employee work our very hardest only to be told again we lost it again! Alot of things are promised that aren't delivered.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your associates. Your employees reflect everything and every attitude of the company and it's management. A dissatisfied associate is going to project that on to the customer and effect the customer's whole shopping experience. Quit devaluing your employees by giving away free gift cards to bad customers who have learned "If you yell loudly enough management will give you anything to shut you up and get you out of the store." A store full of happy associates will buy into the company and protect it even from internal employee theft if they have a stake in the out come. Quit using customer and associate shrink or accidents to keep bonus' at bay. A happy employee gets a happy customer and so on...

Pro vs. Cons

Current Employee - CSM in Griffin, GA
    Current Employee - CSM in Griffin, GA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart is huge. Because of that there is a large pool of co-workers to befriend.

Cons

This place isn't bad once you've worked there for 15+ years. Of course before that you can go ahead an expect a management style that will be more than willing to explain that they don't need you. Don't expect job security and definitely don't expect the management to ever lay off. It would also be wise to not expect any kind of competitive benefits although they're more than happy to help you get government assistance to make up for their lack of competitive pay and health insurance. Also, it would be best to not consider wal-mart if you're still in school or predict needing time off. As I was personally told they can easily find an employ to replace me who doesn't have a school schedule for them to work around. If you need a quick job for a couple of months then you may want to consider it but otherwise you could probably do better elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Understand that employees are people, people with lives, and families, and wants and desires. By letting your employees know that you don't need them you take away most of their motivation for doing anything other than the bare minimum. You're company isn't faring well in the public's eye right now and the hoards of employees complaining to their friends and families are not going to help that. Maybe if you would offer competitive pay and benefits your employees would be more apt to do more than the minimum and they wouldn't mind the constant barrage from the upper management.

How Wal-Mart breeds discrimination and mistrust.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in CresTownshipood, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in CresTownshipood, IL

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It saved on gas, neighborhood store.

Cons

Untrained Asst. Mgrs. their given a CBL class and a badge that gives them the right to be ignorant tyrants. Store Manger who is disrespectful to most employees, a very unprofessional and untrained store manager.

Advice to Management

Wal-Mart should spend some money on proper training for their managers. And for those that don't know that a Title doesn't give them the right to be unaware of the environment that they created, and that most employees will respect a manager who is respectful and that can break a sweat and be a Team player and a leader. It's too bad, but I firmly believe that supervisors in the store are more professional and take more pride in their work, even though they are treated like slaves, Wal-Mart breeds discrimination among its minorities. Mgmt is afraid to treat all employees equally and fairly, be it sign-on amount, and promotions, and laziness they beat on those who are the hardest workers and let everyone else slide for fear of law suits. If you want to know how its feels to be discriminated against work at Wal-Mart. Unfortunately a Union might be good, but Wal-Mart knows how to not make that happen, just watch the documentary on Wal-mart, everything in that movie was true. And how does Wal-Mart get away with this for so long.

WHAT HAPPENED TO WAL-MART???!!

Current Employee - Wal-Mart Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Wal-Mart Associate in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

When all else fails, and Wal-Mart is your ONLY choice. I am older now, and jobs are harder to come by, but I wanted to try Wal-Mart, even though I had been told by previous Wal-Mart assoicates NOT to work there. They said they were unfair and worked you like a dog. I thought, "How hard could it be?" NOW, I know. The hours alone will kill you. They will not give you a regular schedule like most stores. They change it every week, so you can never make plans to do anything with your family. It seems like all I do is work now.

Cons

Schedules that are different every day....keeps you physically drained. Closing late at night and having to come in early the next morning. Never enough help in ANY department....when you ask for help, you get, "Do the best you can" and that's it. The insurance is not the best, but better than nothing at all. No matter how hard you work, you never get any praise. I have never worked as hard as I do in my entire life than I do at Wal-Mart. I never see the store manager or the department manager in my area. I have asked repeated questions to my assistant manager and she never know anything, or ever helps solve any problems.

Advice to Management

Listen to your associates. Treat them WITH RESPECT. There are two Assistant Managers at my store that I will not go to for any reason anymore. WHY? When I ask them a question, they walk off, and make me run behind them, begging them for an answer. No more. Total disrespect. They are constantly calling people to the ad office for coachings, OVER the intercom. I thought that was not allowed. I have never been coached, but it is done everyday there.

8. Wal-mart is a terrible place to work, and they don't care about they're empolyees

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Gettysburg, PA
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Gettysburg, PA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Not many other than it gives a good base for a young person to start off of, and the people you work with are great. Depending on how well the store does you get a special amount in your check sometimes reaching $400 in certain quarters, but sometimes you only get around $60. You get holiday if you have been there 90 days.

Cons

Management Plays favorites and sometimes it seems as if home office does not care about they're employees. They deny any request to have off on saturdays. They have a knack for screwing people out of their 40 hours. They don't do well notifying people when they are elegible for health insurance. If your store remodels walmart makes the employees pay for it out of their myshare. They don't do well when it comes to letting people have a flexible schedule. Sometimes you will find yourself doing things that are not in your job code. You work all holidays. Absoloutely no over time.

Advice to Management

Start caring about your employees and make sure that the store managers are fit for the job before you give them it.

Its pays the bills

Current Employee - Cashier in Sumter, SC
    Current Employee - Cashier in Sumter, SC

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It's the customers (most not all) They are quite nice and a few co-workers that appear nice make it worth while being there. I like the fact that if ever I am able to, can move elsewhere via transfers through the stores in other states.

Cons

It's like nothing you do is recognized. In my first review there were things said, like I didn't invite customers over when I had none. They call this "Redlining". I do redling all the time plus help my fellow cashiers with bagging or whatever I can if there are no customers at my line for any length of time. Who wants to just stand around? Saying that I don't 'redline' in my review to me, made me think someone just wrote something down, not facts, and hasn't noticed what I actually do and accomplish there.

Advice to Management

I'd like to be noticed for the hard work I do. It's not easy being a cashier in Walmart. I'd like to feel that I'm important to this company, I'm someone. I'd like more hours and can't get them. Earning award buttons in the place seem to be more on the lines of 'favortisim' than recognition. In my review, Items Per Hour, I am hauling it scanning and I can not ever get into the 500's, near it, but there. I'm scanning my tail off even. Some get more I don't know how, wish I could, will keep trying to achieve it. I wish that wasn't a factor though. The job is stressful enough without standing there all day thinking, my gawed am I scanning fast enough?.

poor

Current Employee - Clerk in Pine Bluff, AR
    Current Employee - Clerk in Pine Bluff, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

good insurance and dental insurance

Cons

plays favorite,lack of respest,lack of commucation,everything fine unless you have a family problem unless you are a brown noeser

Advice to Management

listen to your employees and be fair.give there pay back that you take away from 1 position to another

unfair to women

Former Employee - Comparision Shopper/Jack of All Trades Did All Jobs in Hendersonville, NC

I worked at Walmart

Pros

benefit package be sure and get disability insurance cause you very well may need it after working for them. I ended up in ICU for 3 weeks and with my health ruined for life. My disability payment is not much but that is because I wasn't working many hours in the time period that they base the payment on.

Cons

very unfair to women and disabled persons. they are paid less for the same job when question why a person hired to replace me when I was moved up was making more money than I was. I was told it was because he was a man and was supporting his mother. Well I was supporting my family of 3 so how was that fair. While in a wheel chair they found a very degrading never Existing before or after job for me to do. I wish now I had sued them for Discrimination, but at the time I was fighting for my life and had bigger worries.

Advice to Management

certain manager seems to have lost his mind. Argued with me one day about what my name was. and he was not joking he was dead serious.

Showing 12,720 of 12,847 reviews