Walmart

9,019 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,315 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

it wasnt that great

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

can have days you wanted off , could call off whenever u wanted

Cons

hm not very good pay

Backwards company

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Marquette, MI

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good hours if you can keep the job
    Okay pay for a college student maybe
    Good about giving you breaks
    Has an hour long lunch hour

Cons

If you are hired as a temp, there is good chance you will be laid off.
    Rude managers half the time, especially at night.
    Don't expect to get days off when you ask for them even if you tell them it is for a family members funeral.

Take some consideration and appreciation for your lower level employees. We all have to live.

Loved my job but Management was not easy to work with

Former Employee - Backroom Processing in Hot Springs, AR
    Former Employee - Backroom Processing in Hot Springs, AR

I worked at Walmart

Pros

I loved my job unloading trucks and stocking or going out to push carts when i could.

Cons

Management was the bad part didn't like the unloaders one had a grudge against us. Worked hard but not appericated.

Get your acts together talk to each other hand out jobs fairly appericate the ones working under you get better results that way

great experience builder that prepares you to remain calm

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

If you want to see what makes you tick and how to resolve it, work here!

Cons

LOW wage. low wage. low wage.

Give your employees more consideration and acknowledgment

Worst place to work, they have work place discrimination

Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Over Night Stocker in Dallas, TX

I worked at Walmart

Pros

There are no pros, they give little opportunity to older people.

Cons

Too many to list all, biggest one is the discrepancy in news about pay. Management gets paid good, hourly pay is crappie.

they wouldn't listen any way so why offer any.

Awful corporate monster that pays too little.

Former Employee - Walmart Sales Associate in Floresville, TX
    Former Employee - Walmart Sales Associate in Floresville, TX

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Met amazing people (other associates, not customers)
    Very good teamwork if you find those other two really good associates
    Easy job if you're not lazy and well-organized
    10% discount (and 25% if you work the Black Friday trio)
    Myshare incentive is usually pretty good (bonus every 3 months)
    Recently they brought back some nifty vests and I loved them so much (they have huge pockets and slots for pens and your badge)

Cons

When given complaints the store manager said, "If you don't like how things are run here there's the door and H-E-B is down the street)
    No training
    Poor management (they formed cliques with other associates at the store I worked at and harassed you or gave you more work if you got them in trouble or they simple didn't like you.)
    Customers are usually VERY rude and self-entitled
    The management (entire company for that matter) doesn't care about you as a person. You're just another cog in the machine.
    Our personnel was extremely spiteful and hated when associates asked them to do ANYTHING for them.
    Don't expect anyone to follow your schedule and if you complain, they'll find a way to get rid of you.
    Always EXTREMELY understaffed
    Promos that make customers worse than they already are (that ridiculous all registers open garbage)
    Only move up if you're friends with management
    Awful co-pay insurance

Work like you have a purpose and treat associates like people not "valuable assets".

Marx warned us about companies like this.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owasso, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owasso, OK

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people, which is probably more of a reflection of the community or town the store is located and not the culture of the company.

Cons

A once proud and reputable company, now a joke. I worked in a store as an assistant manager, which has to rank as one of the worst salaried jobs of any U.S. company. I worked three on three off, which doesn't sound too bad if it were not for having to come in on an off day to make employee schedules. Assistant Managers do all the salaried grunt work and are underpaid to the point of insult. Any employees you may have that are productive and who aren't suffering from a severe case of cognitive dissonance (google that), are fed up and tired of the work. You can't put enough crummy, cheaply made products on the shelf to keep management happy.

Zero sense of accomplishment. Any time in which you feel you have conquered a big project, you are immediately asked to put more crap on the shelf or worse, you hear, "we could have done more with that."

If you are a teenager in high school looking for a part time job to pay for gas or to take your date out for dinner, fine, but if you are out of high school and have any self respect, don't work for this pathetic company.

*Please note too that I haven't even mentioned the legal issues this company has faced in recent years.

Those people you have stocking your shelves and helping customers are not robots. FYI.

They where never willing to work with my availability.

Former Employee - Events Assistant in Gladstone, MO
    Former Employee - Events Assistant in Gladstone, MO

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

My co workers are amazing we are all very close its almost like a huge family. We all stuck up for each other during bad situations we had alot of deep conversations.

Cons

I have had a sexual harassment case that has not yet been settles its currently been 5 months sense the case was started I ended up quitting because the situation was getting worse every day. Management has kind of a "I don't care unless your a customer attitude". I worked in layaway, money center, cashier and services desk because I worked in so many areas of the front end my breaks were often skipped. I also had a work related injury and they wouldn't give me time off to go to the doctor. I was in the emergency room due to coughing up blood, I always going into surgery so when my mom found out she called my work for me, she explained the situation and they told her I still needed to call in not her and they hung up the phone when I was able to leave the hospital I went up there and gave them a note from my doctor. my boss was on lunch so I gave the note to another member of management and she said it wouldn't be counted as a no call no show. when I went to work after recovery My boss asked me why I haven't been showing up. I explained the situation and he shook his head and said he never got a note I told him what manager I handed the note to and he called her over to personal. when she showed up she looked at me than looked at him and lied and said she never got a doctors note.

Care more about your employees just because you are management does not mean you don't have to fallow the rules cooperate has set for the company. Walton is turning over in his grave right now. he would be very disappointed to see what this company has become.

Hard work. Managers are a cult. Pay isn't worth the stress.

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

You have a job to attend to every day.

Cons

Managers are nimrods but been there so long they wont fire any of them. Work is hard for the two short breaks you get. Hours are terrible.

Not the best

Former Employee - CSM in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - CSM in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None really, difficult long hours, rude customers, work until midnight but scheduled for six the next morning

Cons

Horrible benefits for the stress level, favoritism shown toward specific employees, often have to carry the weight of employees not doing their job, never enough employees for rush periods, upper level management typically rude to employees, no real contact once trained, 3 absences in a six month period receives a write up wether excused medical or not

Pay employees based more on performance, recognize outstanding employees, incentives for everyone