Walmart Reviews

8,536 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,142 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 173 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 362 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your a people person you would enjoy working here. There are some great people working there.

Cons

Management treat their employees as slaves. Some management staff, speak to you as if your stupid. They have no respect for the individual. They say that there is an open door policy. Not, you an complain about management, and nothing happens. You still work with no breaks. You are made to do the work of three people.

Really need to go back to Sam Walton's view on treatment of employees and not pretend to. It's really an bad place to work.

Inconsistent

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life schedule, having the time off with my family was outstanding..I was hired from the outside so I was satisfied with the pay however do not like the bonus structure. I really liked working at nights 4 days on 4 days off but there's always cons to the pros

Cons

Work culture, the leadership at Walmart plays a huge role, the cons is they pass the stress down to the workers and without the proper constructive leadership it can backfire especially when the culture is negative vs how to fix the the problem with a positive solution...they focus too much on the negative aspect of the job versus the positive individual accomplishments of the workers also what is profitable and how could we make that specific area of more profitable they don't teach or train strategic business solutions to envelop the team of management that they have within the store Walmart is designed to be reactionary instead of pro active and the General Staff is built on knee jerk reactions vs long term Solutions

Focus hiring good management with great leadership and good listening skills to lower attritionmanagement needs to be not just leaders but team buildersa new culture is needed

hate it

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Largo, FL
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Largo, FL

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

i have nothing good to say.

Cons

if your new,you are nothing

treat people better

Produce Sales Associate

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Great if you are people friendly

Cons

Constant demand and change in job task

It's everything you think....

Current Employee - Optician in Pearland, TX
    Current Employee - Optician in Pearland, TX

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They will hire anyone. It makes for quite the...diverse workforce.

Cons

Low pay
    Low morale

Everything typical of retail positions.

They already know what to do but there's no benefit to improve when there's an expanding pool of applicants for jobs.

never work for walmart ever!!!

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Dunedin, FL
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Dunedin, FL

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

its a job, a horrible one

Cons

managers cuss at you, dont bring up unions

15 and full time!

No One Cares

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Lake Geneva, WI
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Lake Geneva, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They provided me with all of the hours I needed to not survive on the payscale they provided.

Cons

The Management absolutely was the worst. They promise the world and never deliver. The management there never helped anyone but themselves and left everyone hanging for chances of promotion.

CHANGE ALL OF YOU...the managers you have now are disrespectful, not courteous, and treat their employees poorly. You need to all go and start a new with people that actually care about their jobs and give others a chance. Your whole place is dependent on how much of a sycophant you can be to get ahead; not based on your work ethic and integrity.

It is an ok place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

best reasons to work her would be if you are looking for a place to work and are desperate for options

Cons

employees are not very nice, management is mean, and also conditions are not great

my advice to management would to make the store look better, and hire more able employees, this company makes a lot of money but does not care to freshen up the store or hire qualified people

The textbook definition of a big, corporate experience

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bentonville, AR
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bentonville, AR

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You will work with large budgets and on very fast deadlines. The pace is fast and frenzied, but in a good way. This is the kind of company where you can coast and not do much -- but if you find yourself in that position, and if you're even moderately ambitious, you're doing something wrong.

Cons

Very large and bureaucratic. Days are filled with endless meetings. You take a lot of work home with you that you were unable to get around to, having been in meetings the entire workday.

The workplace is very political. While not overtly backstabby or competitive, it is definitely a political place. You are competing with your peers to curry favor with the right higher-ups, or to get credit on your own projects. The HR and yearly review processes leave you feeling like an impersonal cog, not a valued and unique team member.

Increase pay, responsibilities, title, and general respect for mid-level recruits, particularly those coming from top business or law schools. To attract the best talent, you need to compete with other companies offering much better benefits, pay, and responsibilities.

It was great and sometimes bad.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlestown, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charlestown, IN

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Experience was good. I liked working for a big company and tough me real life stuff. Also was Cool to work there.

Cons

People are sometimes mean. cheap salaries. Hard work. A lot of work sometimes. Stuff was bad sometimes. Other stuff.

Less employees. Some other stuff blah blah blah.