Walmart

8,827 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,244 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

Walmart is great for shopping, not for being an employee

I worked at Walmart (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dealing with other associates was cool, and once you get in, they can be flexible on the times you need to come in.

Cons

As an employee of Walmart, they will work the crap out of you for hardly any money, and if you are a member of management, you basically give your life to them whether you have a real life outside of work or not. The pay is terrible, even if you have been there for years, a lot of people. Unless you are kid out of high school with no work experience, or a retiree who didn't management their money in your previous career, use Walmart to get what you need, and move on, because it is not the spot to be at.

Corporate needs to come down hard on how Walmart retail management treats its employees, and how favoritism and retaliation seems to be in every store. A lot of associates are miserable at their jobs because they can't get the help they need to work because the Walmart management are basically trying to get one person to do the work of 4 or 5 people, and of course, to make money.

Terrible. This has to be the worst company to work for.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garfield, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Garfield, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great starting pay such as bakery/fresh foods $11-$12, quarterly bonuses, part time hours are pretty decent if they like you about 30-35

Cons

Managers are very rude and snobbish, they aren't flexible when it comes to school or other priorities such as children. Wal-mart never closes except Christmas and expects you to work on all holidays and come to work when there is a blizzard happening or during a hurricane (yes I'M SERIOUS). They don't care nothing about the store such as how clean it is, whether everything is in stock, whether everything is in the correct spot or has the right price tag unless corporate is coming. couldn't take it any longer and ended up quitting after almost 2 years.

Learn some manners, stop acting like you never started from the bottom and worked your way up, and start treating your employees with some respect.

Was a pretty good place to work

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Interactions with people, you met everyone.

Cons

Some of the people you see.

Require cashiers to be a bit more friendly.

The perfect on paper business

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Full benefits. Better than industry average in most employee compensation categories. It is what you make of it. Walmart is a perfect business, it doesn't care where your from, where you went to school or what your last name is; those who perform will make a name for themselves. Some truly terrific customers/associates.

Cons

It will do what is in Walmart's interest regardless of how it effects anything else. Home office control is stifling. Associate and customers are secondary to sales and profit. It is on the store level personnel to deal with preventable issues that arise with little to no input on correction of errors. It would be nice to say where I work and NOT have everyone tell me every problem they have ever had at Walmart.

Customers and associates are not just statistics brought on by an actuary. Cutting your way to a bonus may help you in the short term but will not ensure continued successes. Consider and promote the morel implications of decisions and not just the financial ones. Lets be proud of the decisions we make as industry leaders and innovators. America has been good to Walmart and Walmart good to America leverage our over whelming market share to become the gold standard of retailers. Have your ten best retiring store managers stay on as an operational board of directors and be prepared to take notes.

Friendly people and a lot of customers

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Secaucus, NJ
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Secaucus, NJ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Understanding
    Good Pay
    Advancement
    Good managers
    Work more hours

Cons

Hectic holiday hours
    Lack of help from co-workers

Unreasonable pressure, stress, and zero appreciation for store management.

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Fair pay and fair benefits.

Cons

Too much needless pressure is applied on you.
    Expect to be pressured to work on just about all of your days off. I only got 43 days off last year with ZERO holidays off.

Let your store managers perform and get off their backs. We are fully capable to exceed expectations without you meddling in running the store.

Worked there for 25 yrs .they let me go over one register shortage..but made me reputable at minimum pay only as part 3

Current Employee - Pharmacy Support in Goldsboro, NC
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Support in Goldsboro, NC

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

401k
    Insurance if full time
    Stock
    Indoor work
    Holiday pay

Cons

Rude management, causes rude workers. Go to bathroom only on your breaks. It's the management's decision..They like power.

booo

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

great snacks we get free

Cons

everything basically sucks a lot

Good Opportunities

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Beaver Dam, WI
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Beaver Dam, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunites to change development and levels to get promoted. If you are willing to work hard for little pay then Walmart is the place for you!

Cons

Long hours and pay is ok, but could be better. Working for walmart is like taking part in an experiement. How much are we able to make them do in a little amount of time for little to no pay.

Give the associates more pay raises and not so long shifts. Give the associates MORE TIME to do there work and pay them more also!

Too much work given for one person. Never enough help..bad scheduling.

Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Deli Sales Associate

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

10% discount available to employees after 90 days. Does not include grocery items

Cons

Managers don't care. Will only tell you if work,is not done, you are held accountable. The way they schedule, only one person will be working in the deli by themselves for hours

Add more people to the schedule.all they care about is how much money they are saving the company to add to their my share bonus