Walmart

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.9 7,386 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,386 Employee Reviews

love

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, MO

Prosexcellent and awesome love this job

ConsI have nothing bad to say about this job what so ever

Love it.

Toy Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThat I love to get money and more. That we will love to see a lot of people I know.

ConsThey do a lot for me and now they will work there all the time. That everyone will change us.

They don't stand up for the little people

Customer Service Manager (CSM) (Former Employee) Port Charlotte, FL

ProsCustomers, most of the employees

Conscorporate ceo's that forgot how it is to work on the front line with very little in pay, crappy bennifits package the cost to much for to little. Very hard to move up in that company if you do your job the right way.....

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a CEO that would be willing to do Undercover Boss and see how they treat people

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyed working there

Department Manager- Walmart (Former Employee) Logan, UT

ProsIn my experience, working at Walmart was great. I know a lot of former employees gripe about it. But just as long as you're doing your job, show up on time, and show an interest in moving up in the company, it can happen.

ConsTheir insurance was astronomical. I couldn't pay for it, considering I was the sole provider.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Getting Away from the Point...

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay and solid benefits and an average store discount. Very knowledgeable staff and very supportive if you prove yourself as a hard working manager and not a lazy slacker.

ConsA lot of promises from upper management about things and lack of follow through on their part. Also, the cutting of associate hours to pay back time left management to take on a lot of the extra tasks with no one to help or delegate too. The grocery side of things have become the "golden child," if you work on the GM side be prepared to lose associates you schedule for your dept. to make up for the deficiencies on the other side of the store. Plus the scheduling makes the work/life balance difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to Sam Waltons mind set and goal when he started the company, care for your associates as you would care for your customers. At the end of the day without the associates and the services they provide that store would be in trouble.

Stand up for your employees or associates. Not ALL customers are honest!

Cashier Associate (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsNetworking with customers.
    Meeting people and making new contacts
    Discounts
    Flexable hours

ConsThe leadership could be better. They(store manager all the way down to loss prevention) look at you, smile and nothing is accomplished.
    Lack of associate coverage on busy times.
    Management, CSM's and corporate associates not standing behind employees when customers get upset when not gettting their way(why reward some with gift cards for embelishing circumstances?) on add matching or not being able to return a high price item bought from a competitor.

Advice to Senior ManagementHIRE enough associates to run fifteen or more registers instead of five! The more lanes open will raise the amount of purchases to cover employee wages. If it works on Holidays then it will year round.
    Salary should not be the same amount for every employee. More experience warrants more pay.( I have over 20 years of customer service--getting paid $7.90)

Not a dependable job

Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) East Windsor, CT

ProsGave me a shoe in for the retail business

ConsEmployees are constantly made to do things that are NOT on their job description, NOT allowed overtime, employees are hired "temp" then fired usually before the hire/fire cut off date to cut down on company expenses due to obama care. Management is hostile towards workers who even mention the word "union", you can get fired for saying that word.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the high turn over, customers and employees need stability. An employee that has been with a company for a long period of time does a better job, due to knowing the company better. Customers like going into a store and seeing the same workers, who they build relationships with most times.

Exercise in futility

1hour lunch break

ConsManagers. Work-life balance. Work-load
    Disorganized
    Turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into complaints associates make about managers.
    Get your employees new equipment: pallet jacks, rocket carts, etc.

It was an enjoyable place to work.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Bismarck, ND

ProsClose to home. Flexible hours. My co-workers were one of the best parts of the job.

ConsTo many managers giving instructions to so few staff. Not enough associates to cover all work to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandise sells better when it is not stored in the back room, due to not having enough staff to get the shelves stocked or having staff on the floor to sell the merchandise. Customers do not like to have to hunt for sales associates to help them find the product they need or are looking to purchase.

it was busy

Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) Grants, NM

Prosits a busy place to work for

Consits a busy area of the store all the time

Advice to Senior Managementgod managemnt

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!