Walmart Reviews

2.9
7,981 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 304 reviews)

More Highlights

ok

Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate  in  Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate in Lanoka Harbor, NJ

I have been working at Walmart for more than a year

Pros

Alot of hours, ok pay, other places pay more

Cons

Terrible managers, over load of work, just a number, always "coach " you for dumb things like wrong color shirt. Always gave me a hard time with taking off, had my prom to go to and they almost wouldnt give me off, like what bull it that haha.

Stop being nasty just because I am an associate I'm not just a number.

It has its ups and its downs

Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor  in  Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Inventory Supervisor in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the people you work with are the best and there isn't a reason to ever be bored because there is always something to do.

Cons

Management is not always on the same page and some of the people hired shouldn't be allowed to work.

Good employer if you are looking for flexibility and advancement opportunities are there for those that perform.

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Flexible hours and advancement opportunities are there. Company is still opening stores when many are not. Promotes from within for many specialized positions.

Cons

Very quantitative structure. Everything has some numeric value in terms of rating performance, determining starting pay, etc. Management cares, but remember that they are there to run a business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier  in  Merritt Island, FL
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Merritt Island, FL

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good hours, good pay. This really is a nice job to have, the best job I've had so far

Cons

I worked at the Merritt Island, FL location and the air seemed to never be on. Hot as hellll all the time, but they did allow you to have these mini fans at your register.

Turn that air on!

Bitter Sweet

Former Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker  in  Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker in Gresham, OR

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work hours, worked with my schooling and home situation. Vision and 401K benefits great! The employee discount is nice to have especially since you can't afford to shop anywhere else. Some management and associates are great to work with.

Cons

Medical Benefits not so good, expensive for the wages Walmart pays. Wages are minimum wage when hired and the yearly increases even for an associate with excellent reviews are far from cost of living increases. Hired as part-time, usually worked as full-time without the benefits. Unless you are in the "Good old boys club" or a managers favorite moving up is near impossible. Moving up is not a great choice, they work you like dogs and then beat you down and work you again. The Sam Walton vision is not being followed, associates and family are not priority, profit is for the big wigs of the company while the little people who are hard at work to make those profits for the company are forgotten about. You are a 'dime a dozen' like any other corporation. Micro management, lack of training, human factor is totally out of the equation. Management has higher expectations of performance for a few associates while the others slack off, basically those few with higher expectations run circles around the others, but they all get paid the same.

Actually pay attention to your associates, remember we are all human not machines, put the human factor back in the work environment, pay according to the work performed and production (merit raises would be a huge bonus to the company moral and performance), stop micro managing, hire more associates so everyone can actually do the job they were hired for and not be expected to perform 3 other jobs at the same time. Put the money out to bring the money in....have more cashiers throughout the day and night, more associates to do the work required, makes less burden for the associates that are working, moral will pick up, associates will be proud of their job and store, customers will be happier and profit will go up.

pharmacy manager

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Richmond, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the fact that they pay weekly, and the hours of operation are really good, and the fact that you can get your checks cashed, grocery shop, by clothing, and other things all in one, the price for your items are great, and there is always good sales, for the whole family, and as a former employee, their are some really nice people that worked there. I enjoyed the fact that could come to work, and do my shopping right there, after my shift.

Cons

My only concern is the pharmacist that works over in, the Richmind Walmart, he doesn't know how to talk to people, he has away of making a person very uncomfortable, to me he has know people skills, he is a very smart at knowing medicine, but while I was there I had received many complaints form the customers, and the people that he work with had issues with him,

he needs to be trained in management skills, he has NONE,

Working here was certainly a learning experience.

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier  in  Palmdale, CA
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Palmdale, CA

I worked at Walmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My fellow associates were very friendly, and my managers were very supportive. The benefits were decent, and the job itself was very easy.

Cons

The cons were mainly customers and the managers who seemed "out to get you" if they didn't like you they could ruin your career, and it's the same case with customers.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to work at Walmart.

Current Employee - Department Manager  in  Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers, customers and that is just about all.....

Cons

lack of accountability, communication, constantly cutting hours, no overtime offered.

Listen to your associates, work on communication, and team work.

Good place to grow

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great benefits, lots of room to grow

Cons

bad management team, work/life balance

Love the job

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker  in  Mayfield, KY
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Mayfield, KY

I have been working at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been with walmart for a few months now, and im loving it there. I work in overnight frozen/dairy, and though it may not pay well, its better pay than my last job. Cant really complain much.
    Friendly management, hard working employees, and stocks are mostly up.

Cons

Some dont follow the book when it comes to the rules and safty, inventory is a nightmare, and its almost impossible to move up unless you work so hard your body hits the floor.

Give career opportunities not only to the overly worked, but to those that actually CARE for the company, its future, and its operations.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!