Walmart Reviews

13,583 Employee Reviews

1. I never thought I'd love my job so much

Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Greenbush, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in East Greenbush, NY

Pros

There are just so manyb reasons. I never thought I would be happy at Wal-mart because of a previous experience working there. But I was wrong! They help you out so much. You have to be friendly and happy in order to be successful at Walmart but also at any jobs.

Cons

I hate HAVING to take my FULL lunch. I always want to clock in early. An hour is just too much time.

Advice to Management

You guys are amazing. They are so friendly so caring. I don't know about all the managers but mine are certainly amazing to work for. They have helped me out so many different times with questions about everything.

2. Walmart is a better company to work for than most people realize.

Current Employee - Department Manager in Hot Springs, AR
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Hot Springs, AR

Pros

Walmart is a family oriented, safety aware company to work for.

Cons

Be required to work weekends when this time should be for families.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your associates have to say.....

Constant Opportunity

Current Employee - Co Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Co Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Strong growth potential in the US, and through out the world. We are able to help our customers in every type of economy to save money and and live better. There is limitless potential with in the company to pursue any type of career you could ever think off. Wal-Mart is involved in so many different fields, there is a career for everyone. As a company we are constantly creating jobs in many different communities, and also giving back to those communities through our donation programs. You are able to transfer to anywhere in the US, and as we continue to grow internationally the world is at your fingertips.

Cons

There is definately one constant with Wal-Mart, and that is change. The company is constantly making changes to try to improve the way we serve our customers, unfortunately sometimes there are to many changes happening at the same time. While in the long run they are needed and positive changes for the company, they can be difficult to manage and implement in the time frames that are given. The changes are at times made so quickly, that there may be questions that go unanswered, becuase there are not key people with enough information to communicate the kinks that become discovered as the programs are being implemented.

Advice to Management

Thouroughly research all changes, and new programs before implementing them through the enttire company.

5. The best of the best.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brandon, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Brandon, FL

Pros

Great company ... they take care of the people who take care of the company. If you want the opportunity to grow and you exhibit the right kind of leadership you can go as far as your personal capacity will take you. The overall benefits package is incredible in my opinion. You are able to get medical insurance for your family for as little as fifteen dollars a month. As you grow you can make as much as your ability will allow. There are many entry level positions but you can get promoted quickly!

Cons

You "work" during all the holidays. It's becomes challenging at points during the holidays because that's when we do our business.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

6. walmart

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

walmart promotes from within the ranks of their own employees if you have the desire to succeed

Cons

at times management can favor their favorite employees instead of helping others that are struggling

Advice to Management

believe in your employees and they will work harder for you

7. Why wal-mart?

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yorktown, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Yorktown, VA

Pros

If you work hard its easy to move up the ladder

Cons

When people call in sick there is no one to replace that person. When you first get there you are thrown to the wolves and left to figure things out for yourself.

Advice to Management

None we are still making money.

Great entry-level retail experience.

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

Pros

The job security is great right now. The benefits and pay, while not the best, are quite fair for a company willing to hire people with no experience and low education. If you have drive, it's very easy to work your way into management within the company.

Cons

Some entry-level positions are grossly under-paid. It's retail, so you can expect to work some holidays, weekends, etc. Black Friday is pretty much a given for 98% of the employees. Some positions have set hours, but others can have you working any time of day.

Advice to Management

At my previous store: the upper management within the store needed to show some interest in their job. A lack of any real concern was wide-spread. They were pretty much on cruise-control. At my current store, management is incredible. They're knowledgeable about the company, store, and day-to-day routine. They show concern for the employees as well as an interest in advancing them within the company.

9. Wal-mart opportunity for successs

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Pratt, KS
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Pratt, KS

Pros

great benefits, great culture, room for growth, team work environment, trust, stability, vision,people who car about who you are and where your going, great for part time students with schedules that may be demanding,

Cons

long hours, management very demanding, no overtime allowed, working with the public can be difficulut at times, wish we had a longer lunch break only 30 minutes which dosen't give you much time to go home and grab something to eat, very repeative work which can make for very long days and night shifts are ususally very busy and understaffed, sometimes don't get a break if your overwhelmed with customers, would like better holiday bonuses and christmas party would be great.

Advice to Management

better benefits for lower level employees

10. Wal-Mart Associate Job Review

Former Employee - Courtesy Associate in Pine City, MN
    Former Employee - Courtesy Associate in Pine City, MN

Pros

The pay is better than most jobs I have had, the hours are good. The interview process is unique compared to other companies I have worked at; the questions are structured more to get to know the individual applying, rather than to make them uncomfortable and look for a specific answer.

Cons

It is a large company, and I would sometimes rather work for a small one. Also, I would have preferred to get a full-time job there, but I am sure I will work up to that eventually.

Advice to Management

I have no experience with negative situations at Wal-Mart. Most importantly, I would say, be attentive and listen to your employees needs. If you aren't listening to them then how can you expect them to listen to you?

11. Save money, live better, it's true

Current Employee - Tle Service Manager
    Current Employee - Tle Service Manager

Pros

The way the economy is today, i'm glad i work for a company that has everything you need to live, at very affordable price's. The motto, save money, live better is very true. I love going to work, knowing that folks in my community can get whatever they need and still have money left over for other bills. The chance for advancement is wonderful. If you work hard, have a great personality and push yourself everyday to do one thing more than you did the day before, you will get noticed and will get that promotion. Walmart gives so much to communities, jobs,grants,scholarships. they donate millions to the children's miracle network. Why wouldn't i love to work for wal-mart....oh did i mention employees get a 10 percent discount and we get a quarterly bonus called my share, 401k, profit sharing, stock purchase. ect.ect.

Cons

dealing with the public, most people are very nice, but you do get some customers that think they are above you, just because you work at "walmart" hearing people say bad things about wal-mart. im really having a hard time thinking about the "downsides" of working for wal-mart. The pay could be better,health care could be better, but really, isn't that anywhere you work! that is if you are working. super centers only close one day a year, but that's retail for you. associate parking, when it is raining or you are late, you have to park at the back of the parking lot. ha ha ha just trying to get enough words in.

Advice to Management

Take a better look at how promotions are done with in a store. a review of job codes needs to be done, in a store to store basis. we have lower job code associates doing higher job code's work. most nights (2-11 shift) you have only 2 associates covering the whole G.M. side. and getting paid at a low job code.

Showing 13,583 of 13,720 reviews