Walmart Reviews

2.9
7,999 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 304 reviews)

More Highlights

treated lower than dirt

Current Employee - Receiving Associate  in  Red Bluff, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Associate in Red Bluff, CA

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

there are non what so ever

Cons

worst healthcare ever in all the corp companies that I have worked for, poor raises ,claim they will work with your schooling while trying to better yourself and then do everything to make it impossible to go by constantly changing start times and end times

start over and go back to the true SAM Walton beliefs instead of greed they were liked back then and made lots of money and stock prices were not stagnet

ok

Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate  in  Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Current Employee - Dairy/Frozen Associate in Lanoka Harbor, NJ

I have been working at Walmart for more than a year

Pros

Alot of hours, ok pay, other places pay more

Cons

Terrible managers, over load of work, just a number, always "coach " you for dumb things like wrong color shirt. Always gave me a hard time with taking off, had my prom to go to and they almost wouldnt give me off, like what bull it that haha.

Stop being nasty just because I am an associate I'm not just a number.

My life in retail hell.

Former Employee - Inventory Associate  in  Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Inventory Associate in Warren, MI

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great administrative opportunities, community oriented, good pay & benefits.

Cons

Favoritism amongst department managers & certain associates. The countless manipulation between employee & management. Lack of empathy especially with associates with Families' whom have an emergencies. Threats of termination on a daily basis.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay for a quick check, not long lasting

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM)  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager (CSM) in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

compensation overnights a little better than many other employers in some stores

Cons

unfair management techniques, favoritism toward minorities for fear of "racism",

Unlike any other job I have had!

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist  in  O'Fallon, IL
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in O'Fallon, IL

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fast paced work load. Stay busy between customer interaction and work assigned. Continually changing environment.

Cons

No proper accountability for things that really matter. Too much superficial. Meaning cosmetic fixes rather than real change! Must admit that it begins at the local level. Sick pay can not be used first day out and creates many call offs. Being able to use the day you are actually sick would make less call offs. Need to get back to realizing that a happy worker makes for a happy customer. Have recently decreased number of associates leaving customers stranded for help. Never enough cashiers. 21 registers and only 3 to five opened with a line of 5 people in each line! Makes for too much wait time.

Hire enough employees to provide better customer service. Cannot find help when needed anymore.
    Use a more stable hiring system. Full time workers with a living wage creates lifelong loyal employees. Therefore happier customers.

pharmacy manager

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Richmond, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time for less than a year

Pros

I like the fact that they pay weekly, and the hours of operation are really good, and the fact that you can get your checks cashed, grocery shop, by clothing, and other things all in one, the price for your items are great, and there is always good sales, for the whole family, and as a former employee, their are some really nice people that worked there. I enjoyed the fact that could come to work, and do my shopping right there, after my shift.

Cons

My only concern is the pharmacist that works over in, the Richmind Walmart, he doesn't know how to talk to people, he has away of making a person very uncomfortable, to me he has know people skills, he is a very smart at knowing medicine, but while I was there I had received many complaints form the customers, and the people that he work with had issues with him,

he needs to be trained in management skills, he has NONE,

Great place to learn about retail in Mexico

Current Employee - Project Leader  in  Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Project Leader in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Gender balance, this company makes an important effort to develop women in order to have them in leadership positions. I had the opportunity to work with very intelligent and strong women leaders.

Cons

Compensation packages are not always very good for employees in non-manager positions. Moving from one position to another takes a lot of time and is not completely clear how professional growth can be achieved.

Bitter Sweet

Former Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker  in  Gresham, OR
    Former Employee - O/N Dry Grocery/GM Stocker in Gresham, OR

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work hours, worked with my schooling and home situation. Vision and 401K benefits great! The employee discount is nice to have especially since you can't afford to shop anywhere else. Some management and associates are great to work with.

Cons

Medical Benefits not so good, expensive for the wages Walmart pays. Wages are minimum wage when hired and the yearly increases even for an associate with excellent reviews are far from cost of living increases. Hired as part-time, usually worked as full-time without the benefits. Unless you are in the "Good old boys club" or a managers favorite moving up is near impossible. Moving up is not a great choice, they work you like dogs and then beat you down and work you again. The Sam Walton vision is not being followed, associates and family are not priority, profit is for the big wigs of the company while the little people who are hard at work to make those profits for the company are forgotten about. You are a 'dime a dozen' like any other corporation. Micro management, lack of training, human factor is totally out of the equation. Management has higher expectations of performance for a few associates while the others slack off, basically those few with higher expectations run circles around the others, but they all get paid the same.

Actually pay attention to your associates, remember we are all human not machines, put the human factor back in the work environment, pay according to the work performed and production (merit raises would be a huge bonus to the company moral and performance), stop micro managing, hire more associates so everyone can actually do the job they were hired for and not be expected to perform 3 other jobs at the same time. Put the money out to bring the money in....have more cashiers throughout the day and night, more associates to do the work required, makes less burden for the associates that are working, moral will pick up, associates will be proud of their job and store, customers will be happier and profit will go up.

ASM

I worked at Walmart for more than 10 years

Pros

paid is good but long hours

Cons

work long hours with decent paid

Fun place

I have been working at Walmart full-time

Pros

Good place to work, people are nice and easy going, and you must work hard for standing out

Cons

sometimes you will feel boring over what you are doing, and it is a disaster to work during the late night

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!