Walmart Reviews

8,418 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,093 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 168 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 355 reviews)

More Highlights

great people

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Tyler, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great people, decent money and great growth potential

Cons

work-life balance, lots of customers know if they complain they will get things for free so you have to deal with a lot of people cussing you out

Electronics Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Walmart Discount 10% on any purchase except food and clearance

Cons

Bad managment, Less staffing compare to work

Managment team needs to be at same page

An experience to remember.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilo, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hilo, HI

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a lot of aspects of retail and somewhat what it takes to run a big successful business. I recommend this job for those who has never had any work experience or needs a job while going to school.

Cons

there are a lot of changes that need to be made and sadly, many of the managers do not care to listen. There's not that much room for growth as the managers just move around instead of the other workers getting promoted.

Listen to your workers...they know better.

Last Resort Job

Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Moulton, AL
    Former Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Moulton, AL

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can always find a Walmart that's hiring. There's no excuse to say you can't find a job because Walmart will hire you.

Cons

I worked there 2 1/2 years and was only scheduled for 2 weekends off the entire time. The supervisor played favorites and was a literal slave driver.

Quit playing favorites when making work schedules.

Actual work experience does not matter.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is full time work unlike some employers my friends work for. I do have health insurance, paid time off, and set days off.

Cons

Very little pay, annual raises are less than $1. Management is constantly changing so there is little consistency in policy enforcement. We are constantly understaffed and it is a revolving door of the staff we do have.

Try to build relationships with your staff so they feel like they actually matter.

Crappy place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a pay check.

Cons

Managers play favorites. They also don't pay their employees enough for what they're expected to do. I've been there almost two years and am expected to handle almost everything in the store on a regular basis, only making minimum wage. Good luck trying to go to school while working here. Kept getting scheduled during times I said I'm not available and got told how "out of line" I am for having my availability anything less than full while working in retail, especially at a 24 hour store. "I might understand if you were helping a sick family member or something, but school isn't an excuse." Manager's words, not mine. Pretty much your only chances at getting a promotion are if you're in good with someone or if you get REALLY lucky. They give pay raises when you hit you're one year anniversary, but they're extremely small (as in, consider yourself lucky if you get more than 20 cents).

Be attentive to your employees' needs and quit playing favorites.

Work Life Balance, Less Stress...Not!

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Come to work and do what you are told to do, you will always have a job. All associates get some discounts, phone service, event tickets etc. When you first start. After 90 days, all PT and FT associates get their Discount Cards.

Cons

Focusing on the Customer, is what the company goal is, however most associates are so beat up by how rude customers coming in are, it is difficult at times to even smile at them, you never know if you are going to be yelled at or actually appreciated for wanting to do your job. If you are beat up by customers, Management seems to give customers the benefit of a doubt rather than their own associates. Very frustrating and demoralizing.

Overworked, understaffed. Yet still wanting everything done that 2 or more people used to do. (Salaried Mgrs, Dept Mgrs, down to Sales Associates)

On top of this, the company just had a benefits change this year. If you USED to be protected by a PT Grandfather clause, meaning less than 30 hrs, you still qualified for ins. Now you don't. However, they use your last years avg hours to figure this, many are losing their benefits, Health Ins that is.

Instead of just accepting the way it is, stand up for your associates, stop being overworked yourselves, so your associates can stop being overworked.

Good company

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Harrisonburg, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Harrisonburg, VA

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunity to advance
    Meet great people
    Chance to travel to other stores
    Transfer of needed
    Challenge yourself in many areas

Cons

Management schedule change
    Stress that comes with any and all jobs
    Customers treat you badly when they have a bad day
    Customers think you are racist and judgemental when we follow policy
    Always changing

To the stores out there that don't treat there associates with respect, when u do they will do more for you. Get out there and help them out, they see you working then they will work with and for you. I am lucky that I am an assistant manager in a store where we respect all our associates. I treat them the I want to be treated. I get out there and get dirty with them. And I never tell I ask my associates if they can do a task or help me with a task. You will be surprised at what will happen if you just ask instead of telling or demanding.

Not the best job, but I've had much worse.

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Richmond, KY
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Richmond, KY

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a good job for someone who is in school and needs a job in the meantime. I was hired quickly and have been cross-trained in several areas - layaway, service desk, money center, electronics, jewelry, CSM), so many opportunities could possibly be opened up through that.

Cons

Management isn't the greatest. I've had to threaten to put in my two weeks in order to get changes made to my schedule if I wasn't getting the hours I needed (who can survive off 12 hours a week --working two days a week?). Though I was cross-trained in many different hours, I still only receive cashier pay, even when workers are needed in areas that would pay more and that I am trained it! It is difficult to survive on $8.05/hr (which I only received after being there for a year). Thank God for student loans!

Not completely awful

Current Employee - Overnight Inventory Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Overnight Inventory Associate in Denver, CO

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are fairly decent for an entry-level job and they're quite affordable. Hours are fairly flexible and management seems reasonable and fair (at least at my store).

Cons

Overnight IMS associates are probably the most overworked out of all the associates, because we do 90% of the backroom work. As such, I wish the compensation was higher. Also, because there are typically two sets of third shift managers (one Shift Mgr and one Assistant on for 4 nights, then off 4 nights) you find that you'll get two different answers to every question you ask, depending on which set of managers you ask.

Strongly consider raising your wages. If your own employees can't afford to buy the products you sell, then you have a problem. Also, make sure your management team is all on the same page with current policies, as it can be frustrating to do a certain task one way then find another manager wants it done in a different way.