Walmart

2.9
7,736 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 304 reviews)

More Highlights

Lawn and Garden Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

A pretty strong sense of "team" and community; there is also quite a diverse group of co-workers, and little-no work discrimination.

Cons

At times, there is a lack of proper training for new associates, and often many management/leadership issues.

Please assure your associates are well trained; also, treat associates with respect and dignity, and acknowledge hard work.

A Good Part-Time College Job

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate

Pros

Walmart is a really great place to work if your looking for a part time college job. The hours are extremely flexible. I been able to cut my hours down to as little as two days a week as the work load for school demanded without issue. There is also a lot of opportunities is terms of positions. If you find yourself unhappy with your current circumstances, it is easy to find another position within the company. The is also the opportunity for promotion if wish to go in that direction. Pay and benefits, at least in my experience, has been adequate for a retail job. It should also be noted that the work environment is a great place to build communication skills. Although I guess it could hold true for any retail job, I have found that through my time working there, my ability to communicate in a professional environment, weather it be working with groups or giving presentations, has vastly improved. I tell people that my the work I do at Walmart has done more for my ability to communicate than any college course ever could.

Cons

Where to begin. For starters, it should definitely be noted that this job can, at times, be very stressful, especially around the holiday season. Think about how stressful it is is to be shopping that time of year, then imagine beings stuck there for eight hours, and at the receiving end of customers ire when you don't have that must have gift in stock. Also, although hours are flexible, their not always ideal. Lets say you available four and a half days a week and want to work three. They will honor the time you need to have off, and most likely schedule you the three days, but they might be broken up into partial shifts spanning the four and a half days you have available, and there not consistent which makes it difficult to make plans on the days you work. Additionally, you also have to keep in mind that Walmart is the worlds largest private employer, and with large size comes red-tape and bureaucracy. Sometimes it seems like the simplest of issues can take weeks to address. Management can be hit or miss. I've had bosses in the past that respect me as an individual, see my job a important, and take a genuine interest with my concerns. I've also have had bosses that seems to think of me a nothing more than a warm body, and hardly understand what i do, because they make assumptions rather than taking a genuine interest. Likewise coworkers can very in quality. There are those who take their job seriously and work hard, and there are those who put forth the minimum amount of effort to stay employed.

Two things, try to remember to have a genuine concern for the day to day work of your associates. You should be aware of and able to address anything I mention. Additionally, if your directly above me you should know how to do anything that I do. You also need to make sure to trust us and respect the jobs that we do. For example, before you pull us to some odd-job for instance, ask us and make sure we don't have anything more important at hand. finally, you need to hold us accountable. You need to reward those who work hard, and discipline those who do not carry their weight.

Ok to work for

Pros

Flexible with availability
    Nice coworkers who are willing to help
    Room to move up

Cons

Customers
    Favoritism
    Sometimes impossible deadlines(especially out on the sales floor)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a terrible place to work

Current Employee - Accounting Associate  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Accounting Associate in Lexington, KY

Pros

The best thing about working for Walmart was the flexibility in my schedule. I began working in the evenings after my husband came home to avoid having to pay for childcare. I later went back to college and Walmart was very willing to work with my school schedule.

Cons

I am fortunate that I did not have to take Walmart's benefits. Now that the insurance laws have changed I would keep in mind that insurance is expensive and the benefits are not so great. They also have recently began to only hire people who have open availability which can be challenging if the prospective employee has any kind of life outside of Walmart. Another con of Walmart is communication between managers really needs to be improved.

My advice to management is to improve communication among themselves. Encourage associates to try and move up in their careers.

employees pull you down

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker  in  Fishers, IN
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Fishers, IN

Pros

the best part of this job were the people everyone was different, and i gained a lot of experience working with different personalty types. Another pro to this job was availability to move from one store to another if necessary

Cons

the worst part of this job was also to people from management lying to dealing with lazy coworkers.

boost morale and keep you word

Short but learned life lessons.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Severn, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Severn, MD

Pros

Insurance, 401k, profit sharing, advancement

Cons

Too many chiefs telling Indians to do to many tasks at once.

Everybody should be on the same page, or do it the way Sam would wanted it done.

Doing less with less

Former Employee - Store Management
    Former Employee - Store Management

Pros

You can advance if you put the work in. You will get out what you put in.

Cons

Strong disconnect with stores and the home office.

Work in a store once in awhile and see how great your failed programs are.

great job place

Current Employee - Loss Prevention  in  Swainsboro, GA
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Swainsboro, GA

Pros

hard work good pay a place where you can grown at a fast rate if you are willing to put the time and effort into your job

Cons

If you do work hard and everyone else contributes to the overall restocking, move items to floor, placing items on shelves, securing those items and making sure the customer is well taken care of.

To allways be fair in your praise as well criticism towards all those employees that are above and below you, make sure the persons that are being promoted are well trained and prepared to do the job at hand

Love the company, not the pay

Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate  in  Greeneville, TN
    Current Employee - Electronics Sales Associate in Greeneville, TN

Pros

Great Co workers
    Good communication with employees and management
    Flexible schedule

Cons

The hourly rate of pay
    Hateful customers
    Response time of maintenance crew

Talk to maintenence
    Talk to home office about pay

customer service

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Gilbert, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Gilbert, AZ

Pros

it was nice a environment actually, day managers were helpful and for the most part a good experience. as student they worked with my school hours, if you needed hours they were easy to get

Cons

night time manager is not recommended to work with. she was rude to say the least, i had to complain about her behavior but the management did not nothing. i gave up that job due to her rude behavior with me.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!