Walmart Reviews

1. Wal-Mart is an OK place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Windsor, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Windsor, NJ

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Good pay (for a cashier) and co-workers. Good place to work while still in school. Study the the different branches, not all are equal to shop at, or work for. I worked at a good branch, but a few miles away was a branch people skipped over to get to ours.

Cons

Demanding customers, standing all shift, average retail worker complaints Can be under staffed (5-6 people doing work better suited to 10 or more, especially closing shift) seem to like scheduling employees to work closing (on shift till 10:30pm or 11pm) followed by opening (on shift starting at 7am)

Advice to Management

Let the store managers have a bit more freedom about employee relations. Don't drive off good employees who need a bit of flexibility with corporate policies that are too rigid.

2. Great place to work.

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Wal-Mart rewards hard work, self motivation, and ambition. You do not have to have a college degree to move up in the company and have a career you can be proud of. All in one building you have a multitude of different jobs, any personality can find a niche, all you have to be is a hard worker.

Cons

Many peolple still have jobs despite poor work performance.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Be consistent when holding people accountable.

3. Love working here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Excellent Salary, Unlimited growth potential, been very good to me.

Cons

Some long days during inventory, holidays. No vacations during family holidays(Thanksgiving, Christmat), but understand, Im in retail.......

Advice to Management

Just shut up and do your job and do it well and you will get recognized. People who cry are usually the lazy people who want something handed to them.

5. Wal-Mart offers stock, and you actually can gain and cash out.

Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Cashier Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

It's been 6 years since I worked there, and I still receive documents about the stock percentage and payout amounts.

Cons

Not enough management when you work the late shifts which makes it a little hard to please the customer, if they have a serious issue. Could not leave until each departments restock was put up.

Advice to Management

A store that is open twenty four hours a day, should have enough management available to assist employees and customers in a timely fashion.

6. walmart assistant manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

I love working at walmart. Then associates are really the ones that make the huge success that walmart has become.

Cons

always have apositive attitude, everyday that byoun are working - lift your head up and walk proud. you have a job

Advice to Management

listen to your associates- they are the real idea generators. they lead us to sales and profit success. save money live better

7. I'm partially handicapped and have been out of work for 18 years, walmart helped me pay my mortgage off.

Current Employee - A Great Place to BE in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - A Great Place to BE in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great hours and pay depending on experience friendly people to work with and you get to meet many interesting people to talk to.

Cons

some times you have to deal with angry customers but its not too often.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, always be sure to give an employee a helping hand when needed

8. Assistant manager

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

walmart is a strong company and is not going to go belly up anytime soon. I am very satisfied with my job and feel secure with my job.

Cons

The worst part about my job is the number of hours that i put in and the number of rude customers that I have to be polite too.

Advice to Management

the leaders at walmart need to be more fair and consistent and stop giving so many breaks to the lazy assosiates. what is good for one is good for all.

9. Wal-Mart as an employer positive feedback

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Career growth and opportunity, stable company, positive work envirnoment, leadership, compensation.

Cons

Communications with upper management at times, job interview questions for promotion difficult to know proper answers based on interviewers expectations.

Advice to Management

Study for interview process

10. Secret Shopper Crazy!

Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate
    Former Employee - Asset Protection Associate

I worked at Walmart

Pros

It's fun to play hide and seek, and catch the thieves in the end. You can wear what you want, sometimes set your own hours.

Cons

Some store managers are not cool. You have to always keep your cover...even to employees.

Advice to Management

Treat your people protecting your assets and your store with respect.

Interview for a Buying Position

Current Employee - Director of Replenishment in Bentonville, AR
    Current Employee - Director of Replenishment in Bentonville, AR

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Walmart is the leader in Global Sourcing and has a great track record for taking care of their employees. They are growing and performing well while others are lagging behind or closing shop. Sourcing for them would be very exciting given the size of the company and the volume pricing you would be able to achieve.

Cons

You will probably hear from people who think walmart is the enemy of American jobs. In reality they are one of the largest employers in the USA.

Advice to Management

Maybe give some sample interviews to potential candidates so they can understand what you are looking for in competency interviews. Many companies use this approach but the competencies vary a great deal. Even when competencies are similar, Walmart may define it somewhat different than another company because every company culture is different. Empower potential candidates to succeed instead of making them guess what you are looking for in an interview.

Showing 12,681 of 12,885 reviews