Walmart Reviews

2.9
7,814 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 122 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 304 reviews)

More Highlights

Cashier. Not too bad of a job.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Aurora, CO

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Interacting with and seeing customers smile made my days and time worth while!

Cons

Part-time pay and the communication was lacking. Scheduling conflicts.

Develop a board based on availability schedules and appointments (medical and or personal).

Just another minimum wage job

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Being the big company that they are (especially the 24-hour stores) they have an availability to fit almost anyone's schedule. But your co-workers will be the support that keeps you happy to return to work.

Cons

With a habit of cutting corners, safety regulations are not always followed. Bit I am sure that depends on the integrity of the assistant managers. Like someone else stated the quality of the assistant managers is key to the overall experience of working here. A store with many new/young assistant managers is generally a bad sign for someone else hoping to build a career with Wal-Mart.

I love my job and the people I work with

I have been working at Walmart for more than 3 years

Pros

The largest retailer in the world
    Good pay for management team

Cons

The largest retailer in the world
    could have a better work life balance, it not bad; its one of the better one in retail over all but you never leave on time!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overnight support manager

Former Employee - Overnight Support Manager  in  Saint Marys, GA
    Former Employee - Overnight Support Manager in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The employees and store level management are great and work as a team

Cons

Corporate management couldn't care less about employees. The pay is well below average

Follow Sam Walton's original vision. Treat your employees like they are actual human beings.

Pharmacy Technician

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Plano, TX

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Walmart brought me from a cashier to a pharmacy tech in training to a certified pharmacy technician in about a year. the scheduling in the pharmacy was excellent and there were never problems with days off.

Cons

Our store had technicians that had been there for 20+ years that took most of the salary cap based off of sales. the technicians weren't required to be "good" at their job, they were just rewarded for their time with the company regardless of skill level. Customers were consistently rude to employees and treated us like the bottom of the job market. Often times at the pharmacy one you would be required to close at 9pm and open again at 9am, there was no scheduled day or night shift, just a constant switch between the 2, often times resulting in 7-8 days straight without overtime. And try to pick a pharmacy without a drive through to work in, the drive through is a distraction, customers are in a hurry and don't understand it is a convenience not an express lane

Please increase the starting salary for technicians, pay for certification for tech's in training, and certified techs including finger printing, registration with the state board and the exam for certification. Please have some kind

Over all liked it a lot

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Loved my schedule.and co-workers.also some of the management

Cons

Not enough workers to do all the work to be done

Get more employees for expected work load.

Wonderful Coworkers

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Friendly atmosphere. Love all my coworkers.

Cons

Upper management is not great. not flexible.

decent

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Puyallup, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Puyallup, WA

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great place for customer service experience

Cons

too many managers gets confusing.

average, nothing amazing but not horrible

Former Employee - Cashier Associate
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

ok pay, flexible hours, nice manager and some nice co workers

Cons

rude people, almost treated like rats, messy almost no one really cleaned anything

cleaner

The first seven years were people focused & fulfilling, the last ones were were about cutting payroll & fighting unions.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Walmart provides an opportunity for primary and secondary educated individuals to grow a career from a simple job. There are multiple avenues for advancement that equate to Asst. Mgr's making $45k and Shift Mgr's (Co-Mgr) at $62k. The benefits are at or above other retailers and extend to part-time associates (employees).

Cons

Management is guilty till proven innocent in matters concerning associate or customer complaints. The judge and jury is based on a bumbling Q&A session (Redbook) by an overworked Shift Mgr and influenced by non-objective Market HR Mgr's. Continuous hour cuts, hiring freezes and Holiday hiring as seasonal, not part-time. This adds additional wait time for a "transitioned" associate to qualify for benefits, all the while saving Corporate co-pay.

Having worked in Texas, Oklahoma and South Florida, there seems to be a disconnect between Corporate philosophies and Floridian execution [Take a look at salaried manager turnover compared to Corporate percentages]. There is a blaring diversity agenda. The Regional team is lead by a female, that over her reign has focused promotions to Store Mgr and Market Mgr's on women [Take a look at the statistics]. The Regional Asset Protection Manager & Merchandiser are female, HR is African American with a token Caucasian over compliance [Caucasian, male promotions are the real minority].

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!