Walmart

corporate.walmart.com
Employer Engaged

Very disappointed in the way management treats their employees.

Former Employee - Reset Specialist in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Reset Specialist in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were great to work with.

Cons

Over worked and under paid.

Treat employees like human beings.

The absolute worst company and management to work for!

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Woodstock, GA

I worked at Walmart

Pros

None at all whatsoever nada

Cons

Low pay, no benefits, employees are treated like they are scum. Ran like a sweatshop! Cared absolutely nothing about customer service. Would drag you from department to department to do massive amounts of freight because they could never keep enough employees because of how they treated them. I was working in the electronics section overnight putting out pallets of freight, as well as trying to assist customers, I was actually told by the overnight manager to leave the customer and go to another section to put out freight!!! I love to stay busy and I am a very hard worker but they put enough work for 3 people on 1 person. They don't appreciate any hard work any of their employees do, they just treat them like scum. They offer no training whatsoever, just throw you from department to department. Not even so much as a telzon to work with, which is imperative to have! The management is the worst I've ever seen at any job in my life! I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy to work there!

Fire all overnight management with the exception of maybe two, interview all overnight employees, the little that you have left remaining that is and address their concerns because there are many and you will then know which managers should remain.

Walmart = glass ceiling

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Waterdown, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Waterdown, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

discount
    friendly atmosphere (sometimes)
    good job for student

Cons

I have been working there for almost a year as a cashier. Sure, the job is easy and is good if you are a student, but there is no chances for promotion. If you are not 'buddy buddy' with the managers, then you will not even be looked at as a candidate to move up. Makes it even difficult when most of the CSMs are not very friendly because they are stressed out, or probably hate their jobs. Oh, and you never see the head manager for the front end department, but they are the ones that rate your performance at the end of the year. They don't know how hard I work, or what kind of things that I put up with, so its all based on favouritism. Also, cashiers are pushed to sell the Walmart master card, and I have heard that if you do not sell any theres no chance of moving up.

So for these reasons above I see no point in trying my hardest, because I will not even get recognized for it as a cashier. I was looking at the employee of the month board and its a joke because cashiers are never put up there... i wonder why.

Maybe if the CSMs were trained properly I could do my job a whole lot easier, and a system not based on favouritism would be nice. Also, stop overworking part time staffers. When I was working there during the summer I was only part time, but I was working close to 40 hrs per week. So I think you should pay more attention to your policies and not over work us, especially if we do not get full time benefits.

Good

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Helping customers,relaxed environment,possibility to move up,nice people working there for the most part.Management wasn't to bad.

Cons

Low pay,not enough hours,benefits are not very good(health ect). Some customers can be very rude and you just have to walk away.

Let the employees work forty hours and raise our pay so we can survive and not have to work two jobs.

Great starting job, has good benefits for managers, but the low pay and low hours won't get you ahead.

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Flexible schedules and compensating breaks are much deserved.

Cons

Increasing demand from supervisor with no real outcome if you do/don't meet goals or expectations.

Create encouraging rewards for employees to exceed expectations and keep higher moral rather than create a bad experience

Great Experience, Great Management, Great Job

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in New Castle, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in New Castle, PA

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management team is, for the most part, very wonderful. They do their best to get everything in order and handle situations as best they can, and it really shows. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement or to simply make Walmart you career, as well - moving up in your own department or transferring to another is easy and common.

Cons

Hours will inevitably get cut and your paychecks will go down. Starting salaries are small, which is a huge turn-off to most people. Hours also get long, and before you know it you're working 50 hours a week for $&.90 an hour. It feels underappreciated.

More praise to employees. Tell them when they're doing things wrong, but make sure you also mention when they're being done right. Many management members fail to use this tactic and wonder why everyone is miserable.

Team work very strong on meeting our quarter fast pace environment.

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Merced, CA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people strong work environment company picnics

Cons

Product not delivered on time.

Just to up date the companys computer system and talk to the deliverers.

Can move up quick but have no life

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, quick advancement. Do look at work ethic for promotion not just education. Realize on the job experience is more beneficial sometimes. Associates are great to work with and if you are in the right store can feel like a family. Very diverse with promotions.

Cons

Treat management like they have no life outside of work. 12+hour days because not enough associates ever. Always fearing your going to get coached for little things. All managers treated different on who you know. Good old boys mentality. Many managers only out for themselves and not the total store which sucks when bonuses rely on teamwork. Overnights tend to work a lot more than daytime because overnights see upper management in morning to walk and can measure the result and you can't leave till they feel like you are done. So little sleep between shifts which means you are less effective everyday that goes by then you spend your days off sleeping. Go through so many store managers because of the crazy expectations of market manager and they expect results with no workers. Wage hike just means less hours soon. Not worth it in the end. Favoritism wins everytime.

More of a work life balance. Find managers that actually treat associates with respect and they might actually stay and work.

Not happy and vacation is bad

Current Employee - Stocker in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Stocker in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Pay is alright but bonuses are better

Cons

No breaks and no health care

Team

Do NOT work for this company

Former Employee - Cashier/Department Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Department Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Walmart

Pros

there are no pros for this company

Cons

Management treats you like garbage
    you can get written up for any little thing

managers need to treat their employees WITH respect.
    don't play favorites
    don't pressure your employees
    don't yell at your employees