Walmart

9,030 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,318 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 183 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 374 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent job, if you still live with your parents & don't have to pay any bills...

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees get away with a lot, because the store is so horribly managed. People call in sick all the time & never get fired. Having a 10% discount is a plus.

Cons

The pay is insulting. The work they expect you to do, for the measly wages, is insulting. Management is only there to look good, apparently, because they never fix any problems or help out when needed. We are always understaffed to the point where we are doing two or three jobs at a time & still get paid the same insulting wages. They bounce days & hours around to the point where I never have time for my home life & I feel like all I have time to do is work & forget ever getting a second job. But the straw that broke the camel's back, for me, was that I missed qualifying for the safety bonus, by two days. I think that employees should qualify for safety bonuses the day they're hired...do we not slip & fall unless we've been there for over 6 months?

Let the associates run the store...they already do...they just don't get paid as much as you.

Love it

Current Employee - Order Filler
    Current Employee - Order Filler

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Great pay and hours, insurance, deferred holiday so you can use at your convenience

Cons

Can be very noisy, but you get used to it.

Not the best

Former Employee - CSM in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - CSM in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None really, difficult long hours, rude customers, work until midnight but scheduled for six the next morning

Cons

Horrible benefits for the stress level, favoritism shown toward specific employees, often have to carry the weight of employees not doing their job, never enough employees for rush periods, upper level management typically rude to employees, no real contact once trained, 3 absences in a six month period receives a write up wether excused medical or not

Pay employees based more on performance, recognize outstanding employees, incentives for everyone

Wal-Mart pays sucks!

Current Employee - Produce Associate in Shelbyville, TN
    Current Employee - Produce Associate in Shelbyville, TN

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing good about Wal-Mart the lie about how Wal-Mart pays so good but no it suck.

Cons

I get pay 7.58 as products associate and work in that area in 2008 and pays was 6.29. Since I should have experience in that area I should get pay more but no. Then it sucks because every association that was hire after 2011 don't the $1 raised on Sunday.

Sales Associate

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

strong economic business, co workers are very friendly.

Cons

pay, lack of help during holiday hours, not consistent, training, promotion options, incentives.

family environment surrounded by understanding people

Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Aberdeen, SD
    Former Employee - Cashier Associate in Aberdeen, SD

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a cashier, they start you at a few dollars above minimum and I got a 10 cent raise after six months. They are extremely flexible with hours and scheduling. Great high school and college job.

Cons

Just be very specific about your availability. As long as you're specific, you get what you want.

Very Unusual and non desirable Place to work!

Former Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Requires very little experience or brain power.
    Managers can be good if you kiss their butts, but can be very hostile if they don't like you or are
    wrong color or sex.

Cons

Extremely low salary.
    Bad working conditions
    Training that looks more like propaganda and indoctrination
    Mistreatment of some employee
    Good managers stuck in a very bad environment
    Environment encourages cut throat activities by staff
    No real room for advancement unless cut throat activities are used
    Company tries to control social media and community activities of staff
    Managers can be very hard to get along with

Remember you are human and you started off at the bottom once.
    Treat people with RESPECT and it will come back to you doubled!
    Your best and most talented employees will not look like or act like you think and feel.
    Promoting lots of white women who may be bigoted and prejudiced does not equate to a commitment to diversity

Horrid.

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice people working on your same level of pay. Flexible hrs.

Cons

Management will often take away from your bonus in order for their bonus to be protected.

as long as you have open availability you only need to work there about 2 wks and need no knowledge of anything in the store to move up.

Fair , chances for promotion

I worked at Walmart

Pros

large company and if you are willing to work hard there are a lot of management training and promotion opportunities

Cons

Wages are low and hours can be long at holidays

Assistant manager more cons then pros

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Walmart had strong culture of employees working with associates if you work on thanksgiving you get a 20% discount around Christmas

Cons

Where do I begin not enough associates for the customers also not enough associates to finish the 4 page of note from Co manager or store manager. Also you have managers who steal from charity's and ask for your money and never received it back. ..Also associates getting paid 7 hr work over 50 hr weeks for one week then told by management to cut hours next week less then 40 so they don't get paid for over time horrible. The company as whole is greedy and customer service is horrible due to the fact of employees moral also not enough associates for the customer base. Check outs are always backed up some managers don't know how to run register horrible customer service I'm filling out apps as we speak

Unionize walmart so associates can get paid better wages also proper benefits and discounts