Walmart Reviews

1,802 Ratings

1. Good place to start

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Where I began working they will work with your schedule to get you the time off that you need. The pharmacy is it's own world to the rest of Walmart.

Cons

Walmart Pharmacy Technicians are the lowest paid in all of retail. Recently gave us all a pay raise to try and compensate, still fell short of the rest.

2. Not My Favorite Place To Work

Current Employee - IMS Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - IMS Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

The 401K plan is pretty good.

Pay is higher than minimum wage for IMS Associates, though it is still not nearly high enough.

Cons

They don't let anyone (that I'm aware of) get 40 hours or more, which results not only in less potential income but also in a lack of health benefits.

One must wait 90 days to receive a discount card, and while the Subway there always offers employees a discount on food, there is no other sort of discount offered even for food at the outset. This means packing a lunch is the most affordable thing.

Low pay, even with some stores going up to $10/h by 2015. This may be barely adequate in some states, but where I live I can barely pay the rent, internet, and buy some food and toiletries each month but that is all. That's when working as many hours as possible; I cannot afford a phone or a car or to save.

The work isn't the hardest, but it requires constant movement and being on one's feet while constantly lifting boxes of varying weights which I can't imagine being good for the back in the long term. The ideal thing would be to lift with the legs (rather than the back) from a squatting position with heavier items (and probably in general), yet this is impossible when the boxes come fast at around waist level on the "line" when unloading onto pallets or when unloading from inside the truck onto the line. Energetically, it is pretty demanding and this takes a toll when one is already tired or when a store is understaffed.

Two-truck nights are a nightmare. Sometimes there are two trucks to unload regardless of how many employees are present and there can be as many as 2700 pieces to unload. I genuinely feel that Walmart associates should receive a bonus or higher wages on these days, because the physical work itself is far more demanding and often the managers have unrealistic expectations about how fast these trucks should be unloaded. At the very least, retail reps on the floor ought to be expected to pull the pallets out to the floor on these days in order to assist with the immense workload.

A few supervisors are overbearing and even inappropriate with some of the remarks they make towards associates in my experience. After only a month with the company or so and in that particular position, I noticed that on some days there is no supervisor watching the IMS associates yet the exact same work gets done just as efficiently, as the employees (most of whom have months of experience) know exactly what to do. Yet when a supervisor is present the entire time it can be more stressful and less efficient due to a poor and ineffective managerial style. As an example, one particularly vexing supervisor that I worked with had a tendency to literally push the boxes down the line as much as possible, and to yell "push the line!" quite often. Boxes would get pushed past your station or into your hand as you reach for boxes you need. Over time this becomes a constant source of frustration, but most employees don't say anything directly to the supervisor doing this, who erroneously believes him or herself to be doing the right thing.

Too few employees too often: I touched on this already, but often times there are issues with the back area being severely understaffed.

Compensate your employees better, they work very hard. Even if one only does the bare minimum to stay afloat, it is hard work and due to the physical nature of the job of an unloader it is literally the embodiment of "back-breaking labor." With the cost of living rising, it is absurd that most IMS associates receive only around $8 - $9/h. The Walmart in South Carolina pays their employees an impressive $17/h to start due to competition with oil jobs. Can not all Walmart stores afford to pay their employees a decent wage and still profit?

Why isn't there at least a considerable discount for food for employees? Working long hours, one must at the very minimum buy food for lunch. If one were to buy food at the store from the aisles, or from the Deli or one of the restaurants itself on a daily basis, it'd quickly become a considerable expense.

3. You ARE expendable.

Former Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Department Manager- Walmart in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Walmart

Pros

Gives you a place to bury your head in the sand and just enough money to get there and back between paychecks. IF you can manage to stick around long enough, the benefits are decent

Cons

The company, in the 5 years I worked for them, seemed to adopt an unwritten and unspoken policy of downsizing associates at the bottom without downsizing output expectations or increasing pay. In other words it's as though they would take an area which normally required 5 people to run, move or fire 2 of them and tell the remaining 3 to pick up the slack.
    Experiment: the next 3 times you enter a Wal-Mart, preferably 3 different ones at 3 different times of day, count how many registers there are, then count how many cashiers are available to work those registers.

Fire yourself so the store can afford to pay more people that actually help customers. If you feel this is not going to be a suitable option, try staying out on the sales floor or in the inventory areas for as much time as you expect your associates to. If you're not sweating with them, you don't deserve to manage over them.

5. Okay summer job

Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Overnight Stocker in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent amount of hours, pay okay for unskilled work, training okay. It was what I expected for an overnight stocking position. I was fortunate enough to work with a great group of people overnight (even though some were a little bit weird).

Cons

I was not impressed by overnight management. They seemed uneducated and some would make workers do things that they thought would be an improvement just for daytime management to disapprove and switch it right back. One hour lunches for overnight shifts is way too long in my opinion.

Invest more in your management team and workers. Shorten lunch time for overnight workers.

6. Not a good Enviroment

Former Employee - Produce Associate in Oro Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Produce Associate in Oro Valley, AZ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some good people.....just not enough of them.

Cons

Poor pay...weak management....grossly understaffed. They promote a culture of confrontation.

More pay....more people to adequately provide customer service.

7. The company is good to work for, Managers are lenient on slackers, so you end up working HARD some nights...............

Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Marana, AZ
    Current Employee - Overnight Stocker in Marana, AZ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good for moving withing company.

Cons

some of the guys are la y

8. Not worth it

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, good life experience in terms of handling people (lots of lying for narcotics) and high stress situations

Cons

Poor management, and rude customers.

Communicate more and delineate responsibilities

Soooo bad...

Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Wal Mart Cashier in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, there is absolutly no pros

Cons

Management does not care. Non management employees run the store like they are management and do whatever they want. Retaliation is constant especially if youre asking for time off. They are unfair to pregnant women and they work hard workers to the bone without raises or any promotions. Really makes you hate life to work here. The whole corperation is greedy and disgusting.

Boycot walmart everyone

Qualified people don't go up

Current Employee - Deli/Bakery/Cashier Associate in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Deli/Bakery/Cashier Associate in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best reason is that Walmart pays regularly.

Cons

The training should be more frequent and for several skills/positions

The management should attention more the costs of the stores.

Not The Company I Thought It Was

Current Employee - Cashier in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Understaffed, frenetic pace and overload of available staff is unbelievable. And WalMart likes it this way. All that "listen to your employees" stuff and "one team one family" propaganda they hand you is nothing but a load of manure.

Store management not to blame for the policies of the business school bean counter types that head the corporation, they're just doing what they're told.