Walmart Reviews in Wichita, KS

8,478 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon
1,119 Ratings

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• They care about work life balance as well as overall employee to company engagement (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 168 reviews)

• Do not want to provide full time which allows them to not provide health insurance (in 355 reviews)

More Highlights

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, KS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Augusta, KS

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the public. Sales suggestions. Working with money.

Cons

Haven't found any. Very wonderful.

It wasn't the best job in the world

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Arkansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Arkansas City, KS

I have been working at Walmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people
    Flexible on schedule
    Good pay as an electronics associate

Cons

Mangers aren't best
    Not enough people on the floor
    I do not get paid to be in different stations to zone
    Little respect
    High demand
    Expects associates to do every single thing
    Not enough people

They need hire more people because there is not enough people working.

good company to work for

Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Augusta, KS
    Current Employee - Electronic Sales Associate in Augusta, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great work hours good employee to work with

Cons

time off polices leadership management

good chace to move to management

Poor overall experience Sam Walton would not be happy with what has happened

Current Employee - Department Manager in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Complete package of benefits as long as you can remain full time status
    Good stable schedule if you are a department manager

Cons

They compensate Department managers a very little bump in pay however they expect your department to run regardless if you are there or not. They want you to take ownership of your department yet pull you to every other part of the store then get upset because your area is not being kept up to standards. Regardless of their "No Retaliation" policy they claim to stand behind if you challenge any part of your job or decide to take part in the open door policy with no retaliation you will put a giant target on your back and they will make your life very uncomfortable til you are left with no option but to quit.

Allow Department Managers to remain in their appropriate areas and not be the got to people that when you need some other department squared away, zoned, or simply because a large amount of trucks are coming. The Department Manager position job has been outlined to complete certain tasks in a timely manner and when you choose to put them elsewhere it affects every part of the store. Hire a zoning crew or seasonal department that in fact handles their own area so that the other departments can maintain some type of organization and if your current crew in the back cannot handle the large truck nights then hire more back people.

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor in Goddard, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandise Supervisor in Goddard, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My managers, zone and assistant, are very kind and professional. They work with you when you have a schedule change request and are open to suggestions to make Walmart better. I like my job, my coworkers and managers create a fun, but professional environment. I feel like I have an excellent chance to move up in the company.

Cons

Being professional and polite to customers who are very challenging. They may be having a bad day, so I don't take it personally. Getting our jobs done is difficult because there are not enough workers to get it done. We are constantly getting pulled from our jobs to help in grocery and the check outs.

Hire enough people to get the job done. My departments would be a lot neater, well zoned and well stocked if we had enough people to help all over the store. To hire and retain quality workers you may need to raise the pay. We cannot find anyone to fill a spot in the apparel department. Our personnel coordinator says the last good one that applied, failed her drug test. The others seem to not have any work ethics. Turnover costs money, is it really cheaper than paying good employees a good wage, thus attracting more good employees?

meh

Former Employee - Backroom Inventory Associate (Overnight) in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Backroom Inventory Associate (Overnight) in Wichita, KS

I worked at Walmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

work was fun, helped get my foot in th door

Cons

managers were Some Hedonistic Intermingling Table Turning Yuppies, glass ceiling, even if you bust your mule the entire time you wrk there you will go nowhere in the company.

Promote more from within, let people work the areas they know, if they know it they can do it, vet managment better also. STOP COACHING PEOPLE FOR DOING THEIR JOB! JUST STAHP ETTTTT

Walmart Underpays it's employees

Former Employee - Department Manager in Goddard, KS
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Goddard, KS

I worked at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promoted quickly over several departments.
    Became the "Impact Leader" that was afraid to speak up
    Training
    Some corporate CEOs are easy to address on issues

Cons

Hiring an firing employees for the unethical tactics
    Store management, Assistant Mgrs were clearly not trained.
    Zone Managers over department managers should have equal pay
    UNFAIR PAY
    Bonuses to store management an assistant management is awarded to but NEVER given to associates that has an will forever be the Real Backbone of the retail giant.

END your bonus money you get from corporate an give if to higher job pays instead. Your associates are the ones who need it more then you. You management folk eat, breathe and now down to every single word that Sam Walton spoke. Now if he was alive today, an view how his retail company treats it's assiocates no better then a cotton picker. You management an corporates, need to live a pay period in assiocates shoes an department managers an then you'll finally grasp what I'm speaking of. Till then I will never respect you as a human.

It's not a bad place or all that good either.

Current Employee - Unloader in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Unloader in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fellow employees are really great too work with.

Cons

You have to work in one area before you can transfer to another area. They say they hire from with in first, but that's not true. You don't get 40hrs in when they say your full time. The managers treat you like your in high school.

Learn their job and know how too talk with the employees and listen to what they have too say sometimes, because they know how and what is going on in their area.

Walmart is a great company that has allowed me to move where ever/whenever I choose via transfers and promotions.

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Derby, KS
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Derby, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many positions available within the company at the store level, market level, Home Office, distribution centers, on the road, and so much more. Insurance, 401K, stock purchase program and many benefits available. The company donates a great deal to the community and has Associate-in-Need programs to help Associates who have experienced a financial tragedy.

Cons

Base pay at the lowest level is minimum wage. Associates work hard for very little pay at hourly level. Base pay for management is somewhat competitive, but no annual raises after the Assistant Manager Position.

There is an opportunity to improve the overall pay for all levels (hourly and salary) of Associates within the store; not only to attract but keep valuable and hardworking people.

Passed over for positions because of race and gender.

Current Employee - CSM in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - CSM in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Walmart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job security, if you come to work you keep your job, you don't have to work or be good at it, just show up.

Cons

being a woman or an african american, not good.

Take some people skills classes and judge people for what thier worth.