Walmart

Walmart Reviews in Wisconsin

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

103 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Work hard and move up quickly.

Zone Merchandise Supervisor (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsI enjoyed the Associates I worked with, made a lot of life-long friends. The Health/Vision/Dental Benefits for me, were affordable. Many prescriptions $4-8. They started Insuring your unmarried Spouse or Domestic Partner with reasonable rates. The employee discount 10% off, 20% off Eyeglasses/Contacts was awesome. If worked Thanksgiving/Black Friday got 25% off 1 whole purchase. Raises every year $.40-$.60. Management was availible to talk to. Fast paced store. You control your future. There is a MyShare Bonus for meeting quarterly goals but I only saw it 2 times in 3.5 yrs. I was promoted 5 times with raises.

ConsYou have to be very self-motivated. You are not provided much training for any job given at any level, you have to jump in and get hands on. Management had an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fixed them. In order to get promoted you needed to work hard and be noticed for the hard work, they needed to know your name good or bad (I was known for being too demanding and loud, It got me propmoted quickly but I didn't have many friends, I never kissed any tail and just spoke up/worked hard) I worked both Part Time and Full Time as an Associate and Dept Manager there was a great work-life balance. However as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor there was little to no balance. In the ZMS role you worked either 8-5 or 11-8 which seemed pretty balanced but sicne you are the middleman between a dept manager and an assistant you had to change your hours to meet the needs of the business which could mean overnights or 12 hr shifts or split shifts to ensure coverage of your Zones. Dept Managers have the best hours 7-4 no weekends...but it depends which store you work at as I've heard that varies. I felt I was underpaid in my position for the work I had to do and how much of my life I commited to Walmart. But I'm sure a lot of people feel they were under paid. There's no raise but once a year unless you move up in position, I was promoted 5 times and I went from $7.45 to $12.60 in 3.5 yrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach and Train. The people that you think are "annoying" by asking so many questions, wouls be less annoying if you just taught them. As a ZMS I wasn't given control over critical items that would have relieved pressure from Management such as ability to Schedual, Keys (trash/organics), and Coach for Improvement. I had the hardest ZMS position Primary Fresh (Deli, Dairy, Frozen, Bakery, Meats, Produce) Secondary Consumables (Dry Grocery, Pharmacy, Pets, Paper, Chemicals, Health and Beauty) but it seemed I had no support system. I had back-to-back weak Assistant Managers that acted like their head was in the clouds. I only saw my Assistant when they did Temps once a day, and at the 2pm meeting. I finally got one Assistant that would hold Associates accountable but then they were told they were "stepping on toes" if they did too much for someone else's Team. I was on my own a lot to problem solve which I didn't have an issue with, but I had no power to change or document anything. So reviews and raises were given to my associates without any input from myself or my Dept Managers, Assistants were telling the associates they were "Exceptional" without having working with them and that created a hostile environment when they openly discussed their review/raises with others. Lastly, Management GET OUT OF THE OFFICE, WALK THE FLOOR! Don't depend on us bringing you problems and solutions all of the time.

Advancing in your career

Overnight Cashier (Current Employee) Madison, WI

ProsCo workers are very nice. Management is nice and they will work with yoi.

ConsHard working overnight. Once you get on overnight it is hard to move around since that shift is hard to fill.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to work with employees who express an interest in learning more so they can get ahead.

Temporary/Part Time Contracts-Low Pay

Walmart Cashier (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsWal Mart gave me a job when no one else would, which raised up my self worth after a very long season looking for work, outside my former 30 year self employment in the building industry. I am grateful to have worked at Walmart for the six months contracted.

ConsShort contract, bad management at this particular store ( half of the management team I worked with moved on shortly after "letting my contract end". in a very snaky manner). The general way of Wal Mart here locally has been these type of hires, so just prior to six months, they find ways to let one go so as not to have to hire permanently, provide better wages, make transfers, have workers file for unemployment, etc. The cashier job is one of the hardest jobs and one puts up with an onslaught of angry customers at times, as Wal Marts here are constantly under staffed, and management is poor. The co-workers I became friends with that actually had worked there five years or more were subsisting on convenience foods and red bulls, had poor health, and that kind of "I'm going nowhere and don't want to try anymore" look in their eyes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal managers need to be more mature, well trained, and given the authority to hire at a livable wage in order for Walmart to come out of the "well, it's at least a leg up" type company. But if just giving out temporary jobs to the people who want them, you made the look you are going for. I actually loved cashiering for most of my customers, most of the time...but I ended up paying to work there, considering time, travel, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Inventory Control Specialist

Inventory Control Specialist (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsGood job to start with they will pay your bills and they hire almost anyone and you keep your job as long as you show up.

ConsLow pay and no room to grow. Safety seems to be of no concern to them. Spent over a month without a supervisor.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider promoting some of the grunts that work in the company a lot of them learn a lot about how the store operates over time.

The job

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Antigo, WI

ProsIt is a place where you can meet new people almost daily.

ConsThe pay is low and there is favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementThe location should care more about the degrees the associates work hard to get.

Very big picture thinking. Making changes (sustainability, environmental compliance etc.) that can move the industry.

Logistics Operations Manager (Current Employee) Beaver Dam, WI

ProsCompetitive pay. It is easy to find a new job with 2000+ available at any time. Becoming more technologically advanced too with new automation.

ConsIt's so big that it has a huge target on its back to get sued. Some things happen the way they do because they are the most legally defensible.

Fun job, great company to work for

Customer Service Manager (Current Employee) Menomonie, WI

ProsWhile the pay is not great, the total compensation package is nice. The benefits package is more generous that those offered by other large retailers.

Store culture creates a fun and supportive work environment. Fellow associates are great to work with, and supervisors and managers are very understanding and supportive.

ConsRecent cuts to payroll have drastically reduced in-store staffing. It is becoming difficult to complete all assigned tasks. Associates must prioritize their tasks, completing only the most important while leaving less important tasks undone and customers unsatisfied.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreases to payroll will add to expenses, but if stores are better staffed customers can be better served and sales will increase.

Great place to work

Human Resources (Former Employee) Madison, WI

ProsVery good benefits and a fast paced environment

ConsHard to have time off for the holidays

Only job I've ever quit (Deli Associate)

Deli Associate (Former Employee) Beloit, WI

ProsDoes going home at the end of the day count? The breaks were also nice. It was easy to make friends with coworkers based on commiseration.

ConsLack of respect for inferiors, low pay, and poor management make this one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was punished for mistakes made by managers, I was treated unfairly, and I felt very unappreciated. Disposable. Working at Walmart made me feel stuck. It is the kind of company that will fault you as much as they can for a small mistake, but who will not notice any strides you take in bettering your company/department. They do not appreciate their employees because they know that they are easily replaceable. Unfortunately, that leads to dissatisfaction and resentment on the end of any non-manager. It was more than discouraging working for Walmart. I dreaded going to work and more so dreaded the threat of possibly staying there for a long period of time. I quit after 5 months and have not regretted that decision once.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to any member of management at Walmart is to remember what it felt like slaving away in the underbelly of the machine. Connect with your inferiors on a personal level so that you can earn the respect that Walmart demands. It is easy to get caught up in yourself as a manager at Walmart. Remember that the employees below you are people, too.

Not very happy with the companies promotional selections, the way they choose there employees.

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) Antigo, WI

ProsThe best part is to work with the people you know and for the community, and of course to get a pay check.

ConsThis company works on favoritism, no matter how hard you work or how much experience you have you will not get promoted, unless you crawl up someone you know what, all day long, And you don't make enough wages unless you get up to a ZSM, that you can make from one paycheck to the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fare give the promotion to the ones that deserve it, not the ones that kiss up to you all day long and don't do there work.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!