Walmart Reviews in Wisconsin

2.9
8,163 Reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 72 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management (in 70 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off (in 152 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available (in 342 reviews)

More Highlights

108 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

enjoy what i do but has bad times like anywhere else

Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist  in  Marinette, WI
    Current Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Marinette, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

always kept busy
    bonus after third quarter hired(second if hired at right time)
    10% discount after (90 days i think)
    enjoy the group i work with
    opportunities for advancement
    yearly review(normally leads to a 40 cent raise as long as no screw ups)
    strict about safety
    work around school schedule(college and high school)
    if not a people person can work in backroom
    if backroom get paid a little more than sales floor associates
    if people person then plenty of people coming and going in the store
    Healthcare(if you stick it out for 2 years or 1 if you get hired at right time)
    41k
    great benefits for not having to have a degree

Cons

varying schedule(but can ask for exceptions witch are curtain days and hours to have off)
    had a hint of not much value on if you have a degree even in the higher up management positions(I guess a plus if you don't have a degree)at least according to there yearly grass roots meeting and survey.(which survey is a joke)
    not much room for overtime.(exception around black Friday to news year)
    strict about hrs(they pay by minute so if over they want you to cut time by taking longer lunches to equal scheduled hrs)
    hr lunch can be to long
    minimum wage job
    some days too much pressure for deadlines(at least in backroom and department managers not sure about cashiers stock men and sales floor people since i don't see them in back room often)
    most have trouble keeping full time schedule at beginning of the year(exception backroom and management)

Poor work/life balance

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Room for advancement, always working to stay ahead of the curve.

Cons

No work/life balance.....4 days on two 12-10 two 8-6 and two days off. No real family life

GO BACK TO 3 ON 3 OFF

Walmart is horrible

Former Employee - Stocker  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Stocker in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The only good thing about working here is meeting new people from all walks of life.

Cons

If you should return their after working 10yrs you will start all over at minimum wage. No proper training, management changes every 6 months and you'll never get a bonus.

Train the new assistants to have compassion for the employees as well as customers. Along with respect. Seeing as Walmart is known for showing respect for the individual!! Sam Walton is flipping in his grave!!!!!!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Disappointment

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Antigo, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Antigo, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Majority of Associates are hardworking, reliable, positive, and have a strong customer centered attitude. Majority of Assistant Store Managers excellent. Strong company focus on keeping prices down to save customers money.

Cons

Most Store Managers rise up through ranks. Lack of formal management training evident. Manage by belittling. Assistant Manager's job description not true to actual duties. Work freight a lot, not allowed much office time for tasks, often have to work extra time beyond 50 hour week. Focus on lowering personnel costs resulting in overworked associates, dissatisfied customers, and negative environment.

Need to have Assistant Managers and Associates review Store Managers job performance twice a year anonymously. Too much fear of retaliation. Market staff don't have clear picture of daily management style.

Advancing in your career

Current Employee - Overnight Cashier  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Overnight Cashier in Madison, WI

I have been working at Walmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers are very nice. Management is nice and they will work with yoi.

Cons

Hard working overnight. Once you get on overnight it is hard to move around since that shift is hard to fill.

Make sure to work with employees who express an interest in learning more so they can get ahead.

Crappy to employees.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sturgeon Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Sturgeon Bay, WI

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have nothing good to say about them.

Cons

They refuse to accept doctor's excuses. I got fired for rolling my car ON MY WAY TO WORK.

Work hard and move up quickly.

Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Zone Merchandise Supervisor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoyed the Associates I worked with, made a lot of life-long friends. The Health/Vision/Dental Benefits for me, were affordable. Many prescriptions $4-8. They started Insuring your unmarried Spouse or Domestic Partner with reasonable rates. The employee discount 10% off, 20% off Eyeglasses/Contacts was awesome. If worked Thanksgiving/Black Friday got 25% off 1 whole purchase. Raises every year $.40-$.60. Management was availible to talk to. Fast paced store. You control your future. There is a MyShare Bonus for meeting quarterly goals but I only saw it 2 times in 3.5 yrs. I was promoted 5 times with raises.

Cons

You have to be very self-motivated. You are not provided much training for any job given at any level, you have to jump in and get hands on. Management had an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fixed them. In order to get promoted you needed to work hard and be noticed for the hard work, they needed to know your name good or bad (I was known for being too demanding and loud, It got me propmoted quickly but I didn't have many friends, I never kissed any tail and just spoke up/worked hard) I worked both Part Time and Full Time as an Associate and Dept Manager there was a great work-life balance. However as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor there was little to no balance. In the ZMS role you worked either 8-5 or 11-8 which seemed pretty balanced but sicne you are the middleman between a dept manager and an assistant you had to change your hours to meet the needs of the business which could mean overnights or 12 hr shifts or split shifts to ensure coverage of your Zones. Dept Managers have the best hours 7-4 no weekends...but it depends which store you work at as I've heard that varies. I felt I was underpaid in my position for the work I had to do and how much of my life I commited to Walmart. But I'm sure a lot of people feel they were under paid. There's no raise but once a year unless you move up in position, I was promoted 5 times and I went from $7.45 to $12.60 in 3.5 yrs.

Teach and Train. The people that you think are "annoying" by asking so many questions, wouls be less annoying if you just taught them. As a ZMS I wasn't given control over critical items that would have relieved pressure from Management such as ability to Schedual, Keys (trash/organics), and Coach for Improvement. I had the hardest ZMS position Primary Fresh (Deli, Dairy, Frozen, Bakery, Meats, Produce) Secondary Consumables (Dry Grocery, Pharmacy, Pets, Paper, Chemicals, Health and Beauty) but it seemed I had no support system. I had back-to-back weak Assistant Managers that acted like their head was in the clouds. I only saw my Assistant when they did Temps once a day, and at the 2pm meeting. I finally got one Assistant that would hold Associates accountable but then they were told they were "stepping on toes" if they did too much for someone else's Team. I was on my own a lot to problem solve which I didn't have an issue with, but I had no power to change or document anything. So reviews and raises were given to my associates without any input from myself or my Dept Managers, Assistants were telling the associates they were "Exceptional" without having working with them and that created a hostile environment when they openly discussed their review/raises with others. Lastly, Management GET OUT OF THE OFFICE, WALK THE FLOOR! Don't depend on us bringing you problems and solutions all of the time.

Inventory Control Specialist

Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist  in  Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Inventory Control Specialist in Neenah, WI

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good job to start with they will pay your bills and they hire almost anyone and you keep your job as long as you show up.

Cons

Low pay and no room to grow. Safety seems to be of no concern to them. Spent over a month without a supervisor.

Consider promoting some of the grunts that work in the company a lot of them learn a lot about how the store operates over time.

Temporary/Part Time Contracts-Low Pay

Former Employee - Walmart Cashier  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Walmart Cashier in Madison, WI

I worked at Walmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Wal Mart gave me a job when no one else would, which raised up my self worth after a very long season looking for work, outside my former 30 year self employment in the building industry. I am grateful to have worked at Walmart for the six months contracted.

Cons

Short contract, bad management at this particular store ( half of the management team I worked with moved on shortly after "letting my contract end". in a very snaky manner). The general way of Wal Mart here locally has been these type of hires, so just prior to six months, they find ways to let one go so as not to have to hire permanently, provide better wages, make transfers, have workers file for unemployment, etc. The cashier job is one of the hardest jobs and one puts up with an onslaught of angry customers at times, as Wal Marts here are constantly under staffed, and management is poor. The co-workers I became friends with that actually had worked there five years or more were subsisting on convenience foods and red bulls, had poor health, and that kind of "I'm going nowhere and don't want to try anymore" look in their eyes.

Local managers need to be more mature, well trained, and given the authority to hire at a livable wage in order for Walmart to come out of the "well, it's at least a leg up" type company. But if just giving out temporary jobs to the people who want them, you made the look you are going for. I actually loved cashiering for most of my customers, most of the time...but I ended up paying to work there, considering time, travel, etc.

Very big picture thinking. Making changes (sustainability, environmental compliance etc.) that can move the industry.

Current Employee - Logistics Operations Manager  in  Beaver Dam, WI
    Current Employee - Logistics Operations Manager in Beaver Dam, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Competitive pay. It is easy to find a new job with 2000+ available at any time. Becoming more technologically advanced too with new automation.

Cons

It's so big that it has a huge target on its back to get sued. Some things happen the way they do because they are the most legally defensible.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!