Walmart Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Walmart CEO Doug McMillon
Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative (in 76 reviews)

• The work/life balance with the company is very flexible (in 75 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance with day shift schedule (in 183 reviews)

• I was not able to support myself with near full time hours at the base pay (in 374 reviews)

1. Okay

Former Employee - Inventory Control Supervisor/Department Manager in Madison, WI

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

Good work Hours, Quarterly Bonuses and great co-workers.

Cons

Inconsistent Management, High-turnovers, lack of training.

Advice to Management

Show your strong employees appreciation, don't reward the lazy workers.

Associate

Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Photo Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Walmart

Pros

Helping customers, making sure there prints are correctly, having satisfaction.

Cons

working to hard and not getting knowledge for it.

Advice to Management

Your doing A great Job

3. Manager

Current Employee - Manager in Pewaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Manager in Pewaukee, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family, friends, customers, opportunities, locations, and benefits.

Cons

Weekends, a must, not as personal as once was, now all about compliance, and customer first which is leading to abuse of our policies.

Advice to Management

Talk with us, not at .

5. Customer Service Manager

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Sturtevant, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager in Sturtevant, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Loved most of the people I worked with and most of the managers. I loved helping people. I loved learning new things. For the most part, I loved my job.

Cons

Understaffing. They expected us to do the work of 6 people. The stress level was pretty high at times. Some of upper management cared more about money than they did about the employees. It wasn't family oriented. They didn't care that a lot of us had families we needed to take care of and wanted to spend time with.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and show them you care and listen to them. Treat them with respect and they will do the same. Treat them the same way you want to be treated.

6. Decent College Work

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Whitewater, WI
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Whitewater, WI

I worked at Walmart

Pros

My experience at Walmart was not an overall bad one. Working at a store located in the same town I was going to school in defiantly helped. The majority of associates I worked with were my age, also in school. The work itself was easy but tedious.

Cons

Management was a pain to work with 80% of the time. More than once there were issues with equipment we used in the deli which would not be attended to for weeks at a time despite reminding management constantly. Scheduling was poor at best, especially for the students. We were all often scheduled outside of our availability, and most of the time it resulted in being scheduled over classes.

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to the availability, especially of students. We spend more money in an hour of class than we make in a day of work.

7. A fair place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eau Claire, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eau Claire, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Reasonable pay with the new pay scaling
    -Schedule known two weeks out with no sudden changes without approval
    -Real potential for upward movement within company in a short period of time
    -Good benefits after several years with company

Cons

-Not enough direct supervisors to ensure departments are being properly organized and maintained
    -Not enough associates to meet expectations of management
    -Schedules are constantly in flux outside of two-week period, leading to many days off being split throughout the week and switching between first and second shift with great frequency
    -Not enough transparency from the top, leading to a lot of frustration with policy after receiving the "because corporate said so" answer
    -No agreement on policy between stores and managers, which causes confusion on what are and are not acceptable practices

Advice to Management

-Create a system to track employee shift preference so that we may get something remotely close to a steady schedule, instead of the all-out chaos that is currently the norm.
    -Hire more people in service areas and on overnights
    -Offer a more competitive wage to overnight stockers to incentivize the shift and reduce workload on the the daytime associates
    -Make decisions on management level that affect associates day-to-day more transparent in order to help them understand WHY things were changed, instead of just the answer of "because I said so"

8. Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sheboygan, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Sheboygan, WI

I worked at Walmart (More than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot about Large box retail and made me a better manager.

Cons

Hours were very long, worked all holidays no family time.

9. Co-Manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Appleton, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Career Opportunity
    Established company.
    Leader in the industry.

Cons

Long Hours, expected to work 70-80's a week at times
    Ability to staff hourly positions.
    Lack of team work and alignment within entire management team.
    One shift blaming the other, poor morale and unequal accountability.
    Regional Manager

10. Fast paced, retail environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Union Grove, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Union Grove, WI

I have been working at Walmart full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, provide excellent customer service, employee relations.

Cons

Long hours, varied hours, holidays and weekends.

11. Misuses and abuses salaried managers. Promotions are not determined by time with company or performance.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Green Bay, WI

I worked at Walmart full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are some benefits (stock and 401k), but none worth the abuses endured. Medical was dropped from 80/20 to 75/25 just as hourly employees got a raise to $9/hr. You get 2 weeks annual vacation between years 2 & 7. At 7 you get 3 until year 12. Walmart is a steady employer, but get an hourly position. Hourly mgrs make more then salaried working less hours and getting paid overtime with the same benefits. Hourly workers are also treated 1000 times better than salaried due to labor standards. Salaried managers are extended no labor standards and thereby can be forced to do anything and are threatened often.

Cons

Salaried managers are scheduled 52 hrs per week but expected to put in at least 60. No weekends or holidays off EVER; you must fight for your vacation regardless of when you want to take it as there is no down season in retail; bonuses are now based on customer reviews of the stores (from surveys printed on top of receipts) so performance and dedication/loyalty is not rewarded. When I averaged my salary against the hours I was required to work including benefits and bonus, I earned $9.60 before taxes in 2014. Have been repeatedly told during interviews with other companies that walmart is notorious for ruining managers and creating bullies. No other company will touch me. One has even called me "the Black Plague". You must do all your training on your own time, except for the anti-Union training. That usually gets done as a group.

Advice to Management

Cannot expect managers to continue filling in gaps where company doesn't want to hire hourly employees. Managers cannot manage employees or run operations from the sales floor. Either increase pay or reduce hours. If you think walmart is a steady employer, you are correct as long as you are willing to sacrifice your quality of life and never see your family. Get an hourly position where you can't be verbally abused by upper managers and get paid for the time that you actually work.

Showing 152 of 12,266 reviews