Walmart eCommerce

Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe

Neil M. Ashe

Pros:
  • "Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is no work life balance working in services due to the growing demands that need to be delivered"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Disorganized chaos.

Client Services Analyst (Former Employee)
    San Bruno, CA

ProsMy team was comprised of great people to work with, even though at times I questioned their skills and abilities. The location was great, inside and out. Weekly free lunches and occasional snacks.

ConsSupervisors show favoritism when they claim they don't. Training was basically non-existent; you're expected to know the answers to questions simply because you've been there a while, not because you would have been trained enough to have actual knowledge of it. Policies coming from home office are not communicated to us until it's too late and a handful of systems are unable to perform correctly. When a colleague's contract was terminated, they gave him 2 and a half days early notice which was unusual in my opinion. When my contract ended a few weeks afterwards, I was informed on a weekend morning with no early notice and no chance to return company possessions or collect my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people properly, fight for proper budget to increase your head count to maintain the demand, don't show extreme favoritism to some while kicking the others to the curb.

Good Company, Great Values

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAwesome People
    Great Pay
    Leadership constantly looking for ways to encourage people (Great sign)

ConsMedical (Health and Vision) Benefits Sucks!
    Nothing else..

Advice to Senior ManagementTo stay competitive, the recruiting bar needs to be high everywhere (not just in few teams).

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

WalmartLabs continues to be a cool and interesting place to work

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    San Bruno, CA

ProsLots of interesting technical problems
    Good talent (at least within @labs' divisions)
    Compensation
    Willingness to take risks and innovate
    Good work environment, friendly colleagues

ConsConfusing and ever-changing directions from higher leadership
    Corporate culture gets a bit overwhelming
    Commuter shuttles are below par for certain areas

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the hiring bar high even if it's at the expense of slower growth.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of promise. Lots of mayhem.

San Bruno, CA

ProsAmazing group of people with a strong underlying culture. Pay is really solid now for technology people. Company is investing in growth.

ConsHuge group of new senior leaders means the culture is in a free fall. Influx from eBay and Paypal is changing how people work with each other - not for the better.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp resolve the turf wars quickly so people can focus on doing the right thing.

Good place to work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Prosnew project and new tech

Conssmall spacing, intense and short of people in project, more pm

Worst job experience ever

ProsNone. This has been the worse job experience I have ever had.

ConsLeadership is more focused on themselves and building a title in the most unethical ways. The work isn't about supporting the business side of the organization and building a valued organization or about the customer. The CTO has the biggest ego I've ever seen and has yet to deliver the value he thinks he holds. There is a reason why Walmart eCommerce is always hiring and that's because people are always leaving; it's not because of growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementBentonville really needs to look into what's happening at this organization. The core values are not followed; in fact they are mocked. The leadership here is not doing the Walmart brand any justice.

Great Company Horrible Implementaton

ProsWalmart has a great philosophy wanting to help everyday people with low prices. There is almost any type of technology to work with.

ConsThis is the worst managed company I have ever had the pain of working with. All management are more concerned with appearances than actual work. Hard work is frowned upon and honesty is actively discouraged. All we do is go around in circles. I have seen some of the best architects and operators in the world leave and last less than even a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are the problem from why I have personally experienced. Almost every day working with you disgusts me. Either that or you need to fire middle management as all they do is frustrate the real work being done.

Don't work as a developer here

Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompensation is above-average for the area

There are a few good developers and managers around

Small discount on purchases at Walmart stores and on walmart.com after 3 months of employment

ConsMuch of the engineering staff (developers, managers, and VPs) is unfriendly; inter-team cooperation is tenuous at best

Managers are given preference over developers for promotions, raises, and other rewards

The offices are very loud: low-walled cubicles and (on the Sunnyvale campus) meeting rooms without doors right next to cubicle farms

QA is essentially non-existent; generally, the few QA engineers at Walmart have very poor technical skills

Poor NOC/DevOps support; developers are always on-call

Tools (JIRA, Confluence, etc.) have all been geared toward project management instead of development/collaboration

The Walmart implementation of Scrum is a joke: it's been implemented so that managers can micro-manage employees, not so that developers can work better or faster

Management pushes employees to deliver software quickly instead of striving for well-documented, easily-maintainable, and well-tested code

Top-down communication is pretty terrible overall

The culture revolves around having lots of meetings, and meetings often start 15 or 20 minutes late

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the hiring bar; get rid of developers who can't hack it; and, take some leadership courses from successful Silicon Valley companies instead of internal Walmart trainers

walmartlabs search

Mountain View, CA

Prossome good engineers, free snacks

Consterrible management, inflated egos, quantity no quality. "fast moving" to nowhere

Great Company

Change Management Project Manager (Current Employee)
    San Bruno, CA

ProsDiverse culture and growth oportunity

ConsBig Company slower pace to move up the ladder

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better Order Management Systems

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart eCommerce Videos

Walmart eCommerce – Why Work for Us?

At Walmart eCommerce, we are not just building products—we are building the next generation Walmart. Our business and engineering teams collaborate to drive technology that’s creating billions of better customer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart eCommerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart eCommerce CEO Neil M. Ashe. All 171 reviews posted anonymously by Walmart eCommerce employees.