Walmart eCommerce

Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe

Neil M. Ashe

Pros
  • Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms(in 19 reviews)

• Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance working in services due to the growing demands that need to be delivered(in 7 reviews)

• Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds(in 10 reviews)

Accounting is the place to be!

Accounting (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

Pros- Great leadership; our controller and leaders are very approachable and know what they are doing
    - Career development; people get promoted and are given good opportunities to develop
    - Work life balance; we have a few afternoon offs. This was even featured in an HBR article
    - Fast paced; high growth leads to many projects for some of us that can handle multiple priorities
    - Innovation; leadership believes in agile principles to improve processes and add value
    - Diversity; we have people from different backgrounds and countries

Cons- Walmart has out of date financial systems leading to time wasted pulling and manipulating data
    - Walmart doesn't value the accounting function
    - Home office culture clashes with eCommerce culture

Advice to Senior ManagementExec leadership should invest in tools and systems to run back office efficiently
    HR needs to find ways to treat people fairly. Perks are only given to techies.

Good company with lots of potential for growth

Proscareer opportunities, great dedicated people

ConsRe-orgs tend to be more frequent the past two years, hard to get things done due to decentralized orgs

Advice to Senior ManagementThe basic walmart culture is getting diluted.

Right Company but Wrong People

ProsNice amenities; lot freebies; good food with reasonable price; nice gym; wonderful shuttle service;

ConsIf you want to learn football or soccer game, then come here. People didn't have tendency to resolve the issue rather they are willing to throw the issue and help you to learn how to play political soccer game. Basically I mean poor collaboration; There are some so called geeks but really dumps; You have to be careful working with them; They will talk like a geek and try to boss you but nothing inside their head;

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do some clean up work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trying hard but will never quite get it

ProsYou'll meet some great people here but you may bond with them for the wrong reasons -- people tend to form strong work connections when they're at odds with the organization around them. Lots of industry analytics applied to the work, so you do get a sense of why a marketing effort worked or didn't.

ConsYou can never really be a nimble ecommerce organization when you're weighed down by a huge, cumbersome analog-oriented headquarters. The Arkansas culture is too strong an influence and tends to undercut any momentum the website gets going. Too much second-guessing, conservativism, and fear of being a leader or taking a stand in the industry. Way too many reorgs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees like children. Recognize the talents and skills that people bring to the table from their past experience and fill positions with the right level so junior people are set up to develop skills and senior level people can apply what they know. Lose the Walmart cheer, it's cultish and creeps people out.

It is what you make of it

Merchant (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsFeels like a family, a community.
    Everyday is a challenge and you must have an out of the box attitude to win.
    So much to learn from. Very smart associates.

ConsPolitical.
    Competitive.
    Teams over step boundaries to win.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake associate surveys seriously. Grow your teams. Teach your associates new things. Too many managers focus on their own career growth and leave their reports hanging. Especially in merchandising.

Great place to work

ProsI really like my co-workers and I like having resources to work with to get stuff done. I mostly grew up (professionally) in cash-starved startups, so this is a change for me. I get why the strong culture works for them.

ConsI am under titled (working on that) but otherwise happy there. Stressful around Holidays, but that is understandable. I had a crappy boss for a while, but that person left and I have a really great boss now. So like anywhere, who you work for matters.

Advacement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLow pay when I started but good pay if you advance past zone manager.

ConsLong hours. No work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue every associate.

Significant pool of talent in need of direction.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment, talented and transparent coworkers, and overall an exciting company to be a part of. Everyone is happy to discuss their work and teach you about their business to help you grow and develop.

ConsWalmart eCommerce is just one piece of a very large organization. It is a challenge to understand what are the resources that can be shared with Bentonville or 3rd party services, and what needs to be homegrown. Finding this balance seems to be the greatest bottleneck to progress. It feels like there is not enough of a vision of how to manage each one of the disconnected systems (despite the leading initiative by Engineering), and "systems constraints" continues to be a scapegoat to explain an inability to scale.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is ok to be wrong or pursue the wrong strategy, being transparent with your team is more important. What eCommerce needs to be competitive is clear, but how the entire company is going to get there (not just teams supporting the front-end site) is a very muddled picture.

Awful work environment, false culture, old technology and politics galore

Head of a Dept (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsThey are trying hard to catch up to Amazon, but never will.

Brand for @WalmartLabs attracts tech talent, but they leave after being sold false story.

Growing, but due to high attrition and low retention cubes are endlessly rotating or empty.

Big giant company on your resume, but awful brand and lack of marketability when you leave

Hope: new CEO

Sunnyvale office, but good luck getting a seat there as it is only for engineers or special people

ConsPolitics: worse than any other company and worse than they paint it to be

Management is built of ex eBay, Yahoo, Amazon and Walmart corp people who are building teams of robots like them. Not working. Promotions are based on who you know not your great work or great ideas. Reviews and ratings are a joke and leaders have to be forced by HR to actually do them and forced with 10 reminders to set goals. Poor HR team overall. Transactional at best.

Corporate rains on your ideas and your parade when you accomplish something. Corporate has antiquated ways and "this is the way we've always done it" mentality.

They promote diversity and have ARGs but ultimately no leadership support, budget or commitment to actually accomplish change. They hire tons of white men, hardly any women and when women leaders are hired, they don't promote from within but open roles that internals don't even get the chance to interview for or trial.

Not going anywhere until corp releases reigns and lets them actually operate like a start up.

Its a rumor mill with a bunch of high school students running around leading teams, HR and the business. Competency based hiring would help.

Advice to Senior ManagementTruly listen to your people. Try focus groups or reading the annual survey results.

Watch the people you hire and try not to only hire referrals from the same 3-4 companies.

Loosen up the corporate Bentonville reigns and actually operate like a Silicon Valley company with Fortune #1 support and strength.

Be true to the story you tell when interviewing. The honeymoon ends too quickly and the revolving doors of people, management and executives makes it so inauthentic.

Lots of work, lots of frustration

(Current Employee)

ProsGreat investment in technology. Large size means ability to touch just about every aspect. HR seems to be making an effort to make it a "fun" place to work.

ConsUsual office politics. Promotions largely determined by brown-nosing. Mgmt constantly sends out mixed messages and unachievable "goals". Lots of new talent coming in that knows everything better and then can't deliver, leading them to blame everybody but themselves. Zero work-life balance (ironically the homeoffice in Bentonville seems to do a much better job there).

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the company values of Work-Life balance. Better Planning would help a lot, as most decisions seem reactive rather than proactive.

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!