Walmart eCommerce

Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe

Neil M. Ashe

Pros:
  • "Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Poor leadership and a real lack of vision/direction is leading to poor morale and people leaving in droves"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

lack of culture, talent and leadership kills what could be an exciting set of engineering problems

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros+ expectations are not high
+ most employees work from the comfort of home
+ engineering challenges are certainly available
+ lots of talented aqui-hires around to learn from

Cons+ expectations are not high
+ engineering culture is seriously lacking
+ lots of office politics
+ most employees choose to defer responsibility, creating lots of office politics
+ compensation is below average
+ major gap in culture & communication between American & Indian employees
+ deploying services and managing deployed software operations is next to impossible
+ many teams have very long release cycles (most many years before product launches)

Advice to Senior Managementcommunication transparency should be made a priority, as the culture currently holds information as a form of power
most leaders at Walmart avoid making decisions themselves, but aren't willing to delegate the responsibility. This basically results in no progress being made.

Don't judge a book by its cover

Senior User Experience Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor

ProsEmployees are pretty cool. Facilities are good.

ConsMany are just here for paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementMore perks, better process.

Good place to start your first job

Customer Insights and Analytics Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsI learned a lot from this role because it is facing several business sectors. Everyone's nice and helpful. There are always things to do. Office is nice and the work is pretty lay-back.

ConsThe career path is kind vague.
Actions have been done pretty slow and it is hard to see my work being used in any future products.
Company is kind cheap, so no FREE stuff.

Huge organization but modern outlook

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsBig into open source, and modern dev tools. Good budget for continued learning, conferences, etc. Lots of freedom when it comes to exploring new technology. Good collaborative atmosphere within teams.

ConsHuge organization. Sometimes hard to get responses from other departments.

A great place to work on open source projects

Software Engineer III (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking on open source projects and having a lot of resources.

ConsDepending on what team you're on, management can be very annoying.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngineering managers should definitely listen to their engineers and make sure the environment is such so that they can prosper.

Work can be fun!

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

ProsWho said work couldn't be fun? There are many challenges here, and while the vibe is very hard-working in this time of ultimate growth, the teams manage to keep a respectable work/life balance and always remember to have fun and laugh along the way. I love it here!

The perks are great: a very competitive salary, stock options, bonus potential, free lunch on fridays, free popcorn daily, free parking, your own laptop, subsidized cafeteria meals, cheap vending machine options, an on-site gym with gym classes available, etc.

Employee retention is important to any business, and Walmart eCommerce knows how to keep me happy.

ConsI don't know of any cons.....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up! Continue to recognize your employees (respecting their work/life balance and having social events, rewarding employees with comp time, celebrating birthdays/holidays/welcomes/departures, etc.

Walmart Ecommerce - A Sleeping Giant

Senior Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros- Great challenges. Walmart.com has lots to catch up on and Wal-mart is putting a lot of effort into making that happen
- Emphasis on technological innovation - Walmart Labs especially
- Autonomous . Contrary to the popular perception, Bentonville has minimal involvement in technology decisions.
- Smart folks, quick turnaround time. Tech force is a combination of start ups acquired and talent from other top firms. I joined Labs from a competitor and was pleasantly surprised to see a better talent pool.
- Great culture. good emphasis on diversity, employee well being
- Small company with the benefits of a big company
- Associate discounts on everything. Unlimited 10% off in stores and on walmart.com. Company shuttles.
- Everyone gets a company iPhone
- San Bruno office is global HQs - UK, Brazil , CN technology groups sit here

Cons- In very nascent stages of e-commerce which is actually an opportunity but can be boring for someone looking to deal with ambuiguity

Advice to Senior ManagementBuck the trend now and stop WalmartLabs from turning into a big bloated company - keep the teams lean and agile. Use technology to scale.

Disorganized chaos.

Client Services Analyst (Former Employee)
San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor for less than a year

ProsMy team was comprised of great people to work with, even though at times I questioned their skills and abilities. The location was great, inside and out. Weekly free lunches and occasional snacks.

ConsSupervisors show favoritism when they claim they don't. Training was basically non-existent; you're expected to know the answers to questions simply because you've been there a while, not because you would have been trained enough to have actual knowledge of it. Policies coming from home office are not communicated to us until it's too late and a handful of systems are unable to perform correctly. When a colleague's contract was terminated, they gave him 2 and a half days early notice which was unusual in my opinion. When my contract ended a few weeks afterwards, I was informed on a weekend morning with no early notice and no chance to return company possessions or collect my own.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people properly, fight for proper budget to increase your head count to maintain the demand, don't show extreme favoritism to some while kicking the others to the curb.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Prosbentonville is a good location to live

Consonsite-offshore model makes time-management hard

Good Company, Great Values

Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAwesome People
Great Pay
Leadership constantly looking for ways to encourage people (Great sign)

ConsMedical (Health and Vision) Benefits Sucks!
Nothing else..

Advice to Senior ManagementTo stay competitive, the recruiting bar needs to be high everywhere (not just in few teams).

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!

Walmart eCommerce Videos

Walmart eCommerce – Why Work for Us?

At Walmart eCommerce, we are not just building products—we are building the next generation Walmart. Our business and engineering teams collaborate to drive technology that’s creating billions of better customer… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Walmart eCommerce reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Walmart eCommerce CEO Neil M. Ashe. All 157 reviews posted anonymously by Walmart eCommerce employees.