Walmart eCommerce

Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe

Neil M. Ashe

Pros
  • Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms(in 19 reviews)

• Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance working in services due to the growing demands that need to be delivered(in 7 reviews)

• Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds(in 10 reviews)

Awesome Place to Work!

ProsGreat work environment. Excellent learning.

ConsNothing as of now that I can think ok.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the great work going..

Right Company but Wrong People

ProsNice amenities; lot freebies; good food with reasonable price; nice gym; wonderful shuttle service;

ConsIf you want to learn football or soccer game, then come here. People didn't have tendency to resolve the issue rather they are willing to throw the issue and help you to learn how to play political soccer game. Basically I mean poor collaboration; There are some so called geeks but really dumps; You have to be careful working with them; They will talk like a geek and try to boss you but nothing inside their head;

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do some clean up work

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSupportive environment. Office is nice.

ConsThe career path is vague.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Accounting is the place to be!

Accounting (Current Employee) San Bruno, CA

Pros- Great leadership; our controller and leaders are very approachable and know what they are doing
    - Career development; people get promoted and are given good opportunities to develop
    - Work life balance; we have a few afternoon offs. This was even featured in an HBR article
    - Fast paced; high growth leads to many projects for some of us that can handle multiple priorities
    - Innovation; leadership believes in agile principles to improve processes and add value
    - Diversity; we have people from different backgrounds and countries

Cons- Walmart has out of date financial systems leading to time wasted pulling and manipulating data
    - Walmart doesn't value the accounting function
    - Home office culture clashes with eCommerce culture

Advice to Senior ManagementExec leadership should invest in tools and systems to run back office efficiently
    HR needs to find ways to treat people fairly. Perks are only given to techies.

Trying hard but will never quite get it

ProsYou'll meet some great people here but you may bond with them for the wrong reasons -- people tend to form strong work connections when they're at odds with the organization around them. Lots of industry analytics applied to the work, so you do get a sense of why a marketing effort worked or didn't.

ConsYou can never really be a nimble ecommerce organization when you're weighed down by a huge, cumbersome analog-oriented headquarters. The Arkansas culture is too strong an influence and tends to undercut any momentum the website gets going. Too much second-guessing, conservativism, and fear of being a leader or taking a stand in the industry. Way too many reorgs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't treat employees like children. Recognize the talents and skills that people bring to the table from their past experience and fill positions with the right level so junior people are set up to develop skills and senior level people can apply what they know. Lose the Walmart cheer, it's cultish and creeps people out.

Good company with lots of potential for growth

Proscareer opportunities, great dedicated people

ConsRe-orgs tend to be more frequent the past two years, hard to get things done due to decentralized orgs

Advice to Senior ManagementThe basic walmart culture is getting diluted.

It is what you make of it

Merchant (Former Employee) San Bruno, CA

ProsFeels like a family, a community.
    Everyday is a challenge and you must have an out of the box attitude to win.
    So much to learn from. Very smart associates.

ConsPolitical.
    Competitive.
    Teams over step boundaries to win.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake associate surveys seriously. Grow your teams. Teach your associates new things. Too many managers focus on their own career growth and leave their reports hanging. Especially in merchandising.

Advacement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLow pay when I started but good pay if you advance past zone manager.

ConsLong hours. No work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue every associate.

Great place to work

ProsI really like my co-workers and I like having resources to work with to get stuff done. I mostly grew up (professionally) in cash-starved startups, so this is a change for me. I get why the strong culture works for them.

ConsI am under titled (working on that) but otherwise happy there. Stressful around Holidays, but that is understandable. I had a crappy boss for a while, but that person left and I have a really great boss now. So like anywhere, who you work for matters.

Great place do work

ProsThe best work environment! People are focused and the company gives you the tools and empowerment to do what you need.

ConsSometimes the strategy of the company is not clear.

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!