Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
3.2

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe
Neil M. Ashe

Pros
  • Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms (in 19 reviews)

• Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance working in services due to the growing demands that need to be delivered (in 7 reviews)

• Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Trying hard but will never quite get it

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You'll meet some great people here but you may bond with them for the wrong reasons -- people tend to form strong work connections when they're at odds with the organization around them. Lots of industry analytics applied to the work, so you do get a sense of why a marketing effort worked or didn't.

Cons

You can never really be a nimble ecommerce organization when you're weighed down by a huge, cumbersome analog-oriented headquarters. The Arkansas culture is too strong an influence and tends to undercut any momentum the website gets going. Too much second-guessing, conservativism, and fear of being a leader or taking a stand in the industry. Way too many reorgs.

Don't treat employees like children. Recognize the talents and skills that people bring to the table from their past experience and fill positions with the right level so junior people are set up to develop skills and senior level people can apply what they know. Lose the Walmart cheer, it's cultish and creeps people out.

Great place to work

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

I really like my co-workers and I like having resources to work with to get stuff done. I mostly grew up (professionally) in cash-starved startups, so this is a change for me. I get why the strong culture works for them.

Cons

I am under titled (working on that) but otherwise happy there. Stressful around Holidays, but that is understandable. I had a crappy boss for a while, but that person left and I have a really great boss now. So like anywhere, who you work for matters.

Advacement

I worked at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

Low pay when I started but good pay if you advance past zone manager.

Cons

Long hours. No work-life balance.

Value every associate.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is what you make of it

Former Employee - Merchant  in  San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Merchant in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Feels like a family, a community.
    Everyday is a challenge and you must have an out of the box attitude to win.
    So much to learn from. Very smart associates.

Cons

Political.
    Competitive.
    Teams over step boundaries to win.

Take associate surveys seriously. Grow your teams. Teach your associates new things. Too many managers focus on their own career growth and leave their reports hanging. Especially in merchandising.

Significant pool of talent in need of direction.

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, talented and transparent coworkers, and overall an exciting company to be a part of. Everyone is happy to discuss their work and teach you about their business to help you grow and develop.

Cons

Walmart eCommerce is just one piece of a very large organization. It is a challenge to understand what are the resources that can be shared with Bentonville or 3rd party services, and what needs to be homegrown. Finding this balance seems to be the greatest bottleneck to progress. It feels like there is not enough of a vision of how to manage each one of the disconnected systems (despite the leading initiative by Engineering), and "systems constraints" continues to be a scapegoat to explain an inability to scale.

It is ok to be wrong or pursue the wrong strategy, being transparent with your team is more important. What eCommerce needs to be competitive is clear, but how the entire company is going to get there (not just teams supporting the front-end site) is a very muddled picture.

Awful work environment, false culture, old technology and politics galore

Former Employee - Head of a Dept  in  San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Head of a Dept in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They are trying hard to catch up to Amazon, but never will.

Brand for @WalmartLabs attracts tech talent, but they leave after being sold false story.

Growing, but due to high attrition and low retention cubes are endlessly rotating or empty.

Big giant company on your resume, but awful brand and lack of marketability when you leave

Hope: new CEO

Sunnyvale office, but good luck getting a seat there as it is only for engineers or special people

Cons

Politics: worse than any other company and worse than they paint it to be

Management is built of ex eBay, Yahoo, Amazon and Walmart corp people who are building teams of robots like them. Not working. Promotions are based on who you know not your great work or great ideas. Reviews and ratings are a joke and leaders have to be forced by HR to actually do them and forced with 10 reminders to set goals. Poor HR team overall. Transactional at best.

Corporate rains on your ideas and your parade when you accomplish something. Corporate has antiquated ways and "this is the way we've always done it" mentality.

They promote diversity and have ARGs but ultimately no leadership support, budget or commitment to actually accomplish change. They hire tons of white men, hardly any women and when women leaders are hired, they don't promote from within but open roles that internals don't even get the chance to interview for or trial.

Not going anywhere until corp releases reigns and lets them actually operate like a start up.

Its a rumor mill with a bunch of high school students running around leading teams, HR and the business. Competency based hiring would help.

Truly listen to your people. Try focus groups or reading the annual survey results.

Watch the people you hire and try not to only hire referrals from the same 3-4 companies.

Loosen up the corporate Bentonville reigns and actually operate like a Silicon Valley company with Fortune #1 support and strength.

Be true to the story you tell when interviewing. The honeymoon ends too quickly and the revolving doors of people, management and executives makes it so inauthentic.

Lots of work, lots of frustration

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great investment in technology. Large size means ability to touch just about every aspect. HR seems to be making an effort to make it a "fun" place to work.

Cons

Usual office politics. Promotions largely determined by brown-nosing. Mgmt constantly sends out mixed messages and unachievable "goals". Lots of new talent coming in that knows everything better and then can't deliver, leading them to blame everybody but themselves. Zero work-life balance (ironically the homeoffice in Bentonville seems to do a much better job there).

Follow the company values of Work-Life balance. Better Planning would help a lot, as most decisions seem reactive rather than proactive.

Fast growing division within Walmart with startup culture

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very solid foundation backed by the big Walmart. But the Walmart eCommerce division is small enough to enable us try new things in fast pace as other startups. Associates here are encouraged to adopt new technologies or invent new solutions if not found in the open source. Executives keep us informed with business status via monthly All Hands. Environment is considered work-life-balance as the organization expands to multiple locations where associates can choose to home base in nearby office location. Since we're growing and expanding very fast, there are plenty projects you can work on so as plenty opportunities available within the eCommerce division.

Cons

Sometime turf war got into way more often than trying to solve business problem as a whole. Not only is the original good idea stolen by other team who owns the turf, the ownership of a hot problem is often thrown between the fences which delays the resolution to our business user. Internal transfer between organizations could be difficult especially changing between two different VP organizations (turf war again rather treating talent as shared asset for the business).

Executives should remove turf war completely and encourage "One Team, One Result" culture.

It used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time

Pros

The people. Especially those that have been there a while. Pre-@labs, this place had a supportive and family culture.

Cons

Post-@labs, full of egos and very cutthroat. CTO loves this. Sr. leaders aren't working towards a common goal. They compete against each other for the CTO's favoritism.

Get rid of the bad leadership. You still have a good team there. You can undo the past few years of wrong doing this way.

Ineffective management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

pay package, challenging work, start-up environment

Cons

benefits, middle management, upper management, culture, No work-life balance

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!