Walmart eCommerce Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.2

Walmart eCommerce President and CEO, Global eCommerce Neil M. Ashe
Neil M. Ashe

Pros
  • Company stresses work/life balance and strives to be great place for working moms (in 19 reviews)

• Great place for people who want to have a big impact, learn about scale and love retail (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance working in services due to the growing demands that need to be delivered (in 7 reviews)

• Providing false agenda and manipulating the growth to their upper management in multi folds (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Huge potential mired in bureaucracy and disorder

Current Employee - Senior Director  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The largest retailer in the world. Huge opportunity to capture greater share of eCommerce.
    Lots of really smart people.
    Real work/life balance.
    Recent changes in compensation make company competitive in Silicon Valley
    Real interest in Diversity (women, lgbt, cultural)
    Neil Ashe has great ideas and is inspiring.

Cons

Teams can be very territorial and tribal
    Engineering trying to run agile with the resources for waterfall.
    Lack of clear guidance on direction in technology orgs.
    Enough resources to keep up but not innovate

Pick a direction and stick to it. Stop being penny-wise and pound foolish. Customer focus means knowing who your customer is not just saying you are customer focused.

Blue Collar Mentality in Walmart, Excellent colleagues in the @Labs divison

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good technical talent. It is a mix where a lot of them are fresh out of school but have PhDs. Very few senior technical staff.

Cons

Most of the non-walmartlabs management that you have to deal with is quite political and extremely hierarchical in org.
    This goes down to the ground staff also. Case in point: I had parked my car in the one of many visitor parking spots because the garage was filled up completely. I was questioned as to why I had come in that late (11 am) by the security guard !!! This is one of many examples, but you get the idea.
    And yes, If you lose your badge, its 25$ to get a new one (out of your pocket :))

Health benefits are really poor.

Remains to be seen if the culture will survive since most of walmart has a very different culture.

Slow Process, not thinking out of the box. Largely constrained by the big company mentality

Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer  in  San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Life is easy since the pace is slow
    Good collaborations with a good agile process even for people work remotely

Cons

Not very inspiring
    Slow process
    Frustrating middle management at manager to director level

Hire the right mid management and start change the mentality of big company move slow. The top management need to step back and trust the younger generation if they want true innovation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

walmart labs

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

great place to work at

Cons

should look at insurance benefits

Good place to work

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce

Pros

Results driven and deliverables recognized

Cons

Constraints tied with Walmart Corporate

2 years in at Walmart Global eCommerce --> momentum building

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

exciting to see talent density beginning to surge as company gets extremely picky about new hires
    lots of growth opportunities around new platform (in all areas)
    tangible signs of momentum across key metrics
    Leadership team is clear about the vision

Cons

getting a little tight on space
    no SF satellite office

Know we have to excel at the fundamentals but want to tackle non-linear growth strategies as soon as possible

Right hand does not know what left hand is doing - and worst overall benefits in tech industry

Current Employee - Staff Engineer  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Your co-workers are excellent engineers
    - Ample of opportunities to learn new things (@ only in selective teams)
    - Your work impacts millions of people everyday.

Cons

- Worst medical plan I have seen in 15 years of my carrer - my neighborhood grocery store has a better medical plan for its employees.
    - Medical plan is expensive too and benefits are way poorer (I bought mine directly with Kaiser than going through Walmart last week as I did not receive my plan medical cards after waiting for three months- Also buying direct has better coverage and almost the same price)
    - Pharmacy plan is useless (you can just go to Walmart pharmacy as that will be cheaper)
    - ESPP plan is a joke
    - Employee discount center is another joke (Costco has better prices for movie tickets/theme parks then employee discount center) - practically I have never heard any one bought or used walmarts employee discount center for anything as it is ridiculous
    - Registered holidays (only 6) and PTO including sick (only 20) are way below software company standards.
    - You will have to pay for lot of things out of your own pocket - Like if you loose your badge, you have to pay $25 to get a new one. Never heard of this one before till orientation in Walmart.com
    - Business Travelling expenses - they nickel and dime you for small stuff and for pretty much everything.
    - For internal information and intranet, their are 3-4 different websites. The internal information system is so messed up that I have practically stopped using it.
    - Enrolling to benefits and getting your medical cards is just a nightmare. Three months already and I have not received my medical plan cards yet.
    - Upper management has no idea what they are doing - They start a project with so much energy and before you know they shut it down as 6 months down the line they come to know that some other team in the company is doing the same thing.
    - KEEP IN MIND - $150K salary here = $120K in any other tech company(due to benefits and other programs) so do not get fooled for high salary offer.

- Please improve internal communication. You have no idea what your teams/staff is doing. Same work is done by not only two teams but multiple teams.
    - You can not treat engineers who make more than $100K and are highly educated the same way as you treat your retail employees who make 30K. If you want to treat everyone same, you better treat every one better.

One of the worst places I've ever worked for.

I worked at Walmart eCommerce as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

*Keep in mind this is from a engineering/QA/product mgmt POV:

- Plenty of room to rise up and get that title if you can last long
    - Most business partners are pleasant to work with
    - There are lots of good people there, but many have left in the last ~2-3 years so not sure if that's a pro anymore

Cons

*Keep in mind this is from a engineering/QA/product mgmt POV:

- Too many changes and its constant. They'll re-org every 1-1.5 years! People have had 5 different superiors in 1-2 years!
    - Morale is super low
    - Ridiculous timelines with ridiculous features with no resources
    - A bit like the blind leading the blind
    - No vision, and if there is/was it constantly changes
    - Some leadership and new folks they've hired since starting WalmartLabs are pretentious and not pleasant to work with.
    - Business partners often don't understand software development and the amount of time/resources it takes to build. I've been told, "well, aren't your agile? Doesn't that mean I will get my products even faster!"
    - No sense of change management whatsoever
    - Lots of politics
    - Some leaders are promoted so fast without much reason so they are not seasoned or groomed correctly
    - Benefits package compared to to other tech companies is a bit of a joke. Simply because it is retail.
    - Turnover is a huge issue.

If you're serious about catching up to competitors you have to stick to a vision and organization for 5 years+. Be willing to invest in technology, your people and expect mistakes and losses in your business for the years to come! You can't have your pie and eat it too.

Great to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong culture. Lot of extra curricular activities :) Supportive environment. Lot of knowledge in-house. Industry leader. Will look excellent on resume. eCommerce treated different from Stores as a company. Smart leadership willing to make changes.

Cons

Not many that I can think of. I believe some legacy policies/work processes taken from store need update/changes - while the dotocm business needs to utilize legacy knowledge, it also needs to evolve from it.

Fast paced, great people culture

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Walmart eCommerce full-time for more than a year

Pros

- lots of room for growth due to rapid expansion of the business.
    - good culture for working parents, many of the people that I work for in finance are able to have flexible work schedules and telecommuting

Cons

- very report-focused, sometimes feels like no one is reading them
    - burn out seems to be a reason why people move on to other companies

Worked for Walmart eCommerce? Contribute to the Community!