Walsh Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Walsh Group Chairman and CEO Matthew M. Walsh

Matthew M. Walsh

A great opportunity to learn if you can handle the pressure

ProsIt's like gladiator camp for PM's. You will be challenged, stretched, forced to think on your feet, rewarded when you do good and scolded when you screw up. The company will mold you into a damn fine PM/Supt if you can handle the pressure and take what they throw at you.

ConsThere's a very reals sense of the Good Old Boys club, inter-company competition between higher level management creates a silo effect where employees will sometimes be held in one position or location because their executive won't want to risk losing them to another executive. Advancement and promotion can be relative to who you know in the company and not always for merit or results.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to somehow keep the feelings of favoritism and preferential treatment of some employees from frustrating and driving away the others who are jaded that it's a 'not what you know but who you know' culture.

Not worth it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompetitive salary and excellent raises

ConsBonuses are varied and very uneven
    Management does not care about employees
    Good ole boys club
    No diversity

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by granting incentives not by fear

The best company I ever worked for!

Union Carpenter (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLots of leadership training with the ability to transfer within the company, solid and clear path to promotion, especially at junior levels. Met some great superintendents and engineers. Strongly motivate leaders to mentor others and it is a team atmosphere, not competitive within. Definitely recommend, especially to young apprentices or journeymen who like the structure and stability of a large company.

ConsWish more work was available in the Chicago Metro area.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If your someone who doesn't want to settle down or mind large company bs this is for you!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIts a large company that provides decent salary and beneits.

ConsIts a large company. Its a matter of getting lucky and having the right mentor above you to help you advance to the top. Some people are there to work hard but most are there to put in their 40 hours and collect a paycheck. Management often is tasked with overseeing far too many people and it can take months for something you are promised and guaranteed to come to fruition.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace and encourage stronger leadership in the mid-level management. Know that employees working where they want to be at a job that might not be an incredible profit margin will eventually lead to a greater net profit than those working somewhere they were forced to move.

Exellent company

Site Safety & Health Officer (SSHO) (Current Employee)

ProsThis Company from the Top executives to the newest employees are trained and support a behavioral based safety culture. This is a family of professionals who work well together and are adamant about production, quality, and safety sharing equal importance.

ConsI have no cons and would highly recommend anyone to join the Walsh team.

21 years and let go without a reason

Superintendent (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsDuring my time with Walsh as a Superintendent, I Considered myself lucky working for and feeling like a family. Until I was let go without any reaon and after 21 years I was given only 4 weeks severance pay. I was wrong about the company. NOT a family to work for.

ConsThe word CONS tells it all.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch your back. NEVER feel at home.

Way too many hoursweek

ProsLots of opportunity and chances to move up

ConsNot much of a social life when working here, or time to go to the gym. Eat, sleep, and live Walsh when here.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people or plan better so the employees do not have to work 80 hour weeks.

Great experience I gained a lot of knowledge about the construction industry and met some pretty amazing people.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Saint Paul, MN

ProsTraining
    Great benefits
    Cares about its employees
    Fast pace work environment
    Recognizes new hires and the accomplishments of both old & new employees
    Paid travel
    Room to grow within the company

ConsAll I can say is that:
    Projects end
    Projects end
    This is a good and bad thing for someone who enjoys working in construction and for this company because once a project is completed your job is complete. However once the project has reached completion its a huge accomplishment because you see how much everyone's hard work has paid off.

Just starting out as a Project Engineer.

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsLarge company that provides opportunities for travel, career growth (in the direction of your interests and skill set), and stability. Decent benefits package for salary employees. Actively searching and employing young talent to pass construction knowledge and experience to.

ConsLarge corporate office environment can feel intimidating. You can very easily feel like just a number (depending on your job responsibilities, co-workers and management). Supervisors and managers have a lot on their plate, new employee's goals and vision can be lost on upper management. Going through IT, HR, insurance, etc.. can often be difficult to communicate with in such a large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNew, young employee's are willing to learn as long as you are willing to guide.

It's a job

Super (Current Employee)

ProsGreat if you work in Chicago.

ConsOffice guys with no building experience trying to manage the field from their desk. Upper management out of touch with field staff and supers. Def not employee owned.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more into superintendent staff and use the relationship of super and pm as a strength instead of way to manage the project for a desk.

Worked for Walsh Group? Contribute to the Community!