Walsh University

Updated June 3, 2014
Updated June 3, 2014
2.8

CEO

I would love to stay, but can't afford to.

I worked at Walsh University as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

-Great flexibility with schedule
    -In my department, I was entrusted with much responsibility and this meant opportunity for personal and professional growth
    -I was able to gain credit hours for my paid internship
    -The University is increasing enrollment and expanding its resources to accommodate this growth, which leads to a positive morale among at least some faculty and staff
    -Super friendly community of people: most people know one another and genuinely care to perform tasks well because they feel this sense of integrity and belonging
    -Catholic culture is becoming more authentic
    -I made wonderful friends during my time at Walsh

Cons

-Very little on-the-job training
    -Structure of campus is generally not centralized, which means that information about inter-departmental resources are difficult to access. Inter-departmental cooperation is also difficult at worst and disjointed at best.
    -Not many opportunities for interns to gain promotion or employment before or after graduation
    -Little credit for contributions or achievements (though this is the fate of most interns)
    -Leadership is very top-down and only superficially collaborative (employee efficacy on structure and processes is very low)

-Keep employee events that are in place such as the Spring Event, Christmas event, and Friday Fellowship because they encourage high morale
    -Strive to centralize and facilitate inter-departmental communication
    -Make communications from leadership more frequent and less formal (mere brief on Board of Directors meeting)
    -Create Idea Exchange or opportunity for employees to provide feedback for changes in the organization
    -Consider making the changes necessary to align employees' interests and priorities with the Catholic mission you strive to fulfill. This will more easily and quickly advance a Catholic culture and thwart the obstacles that currently prevent it.
    -You, like most organizations today, have to do more with less. You are doing a great job! Employees feel the pinch at some point, but you are doing a great job at minimizing that and keeping income steady and prioritizing financial investments and improvements.

A campus full of students with a sense of self-entitlement and very little support from faculty.

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in North Canton, OH

I worked at Walsh University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The campus is nice. There are some students genuinely interested in learning and/or improving their skills.

Cons

Department heads give no goals. Little/no student accountability. No support with students. I refused to continue beyond one semester.

Department heads need to take actual interest in their programs. Create some standards instead of just arbitrary "goals" for courses so students know and can understand what is expected of them. If you hire adjuncts, work with them, don't just leave them out to dry (as I was numerous times) or undermine them behind closed doors.

They do nothing to take care of their own.....

Former Employee - Work Study in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Work Study in North Canton, OH

I worked at Walsh University

Pros

- Flexible scheduling.
    - Seems like they're trying to install a lot of amenities.
    - Campus is trying to grow and expand.
    - Campus is usually well taken care of and manicured for the most part.
    - Judeo-Christian education.

Cons

- Very limited opportunities to gain an internship if you're a student.
    - Everything is overpriced. From the bookstore, the convenience stores, the tuition, and all the student fees. They love to rip off students.
    - Faculty is underpaid.
    - A lot of the department heads come off as snobby.
    - Top Administrators (President, Provost, etc) are generally nowhere to be seen unless there are donors or news media nearby.
    - Career Center is useless. No leads on any potential jobs for students at all.
    - Parking is a nightmare.

Do something to make the things you sell on campus more affordable. 99% of college students are broke.

Not everything revovles around fundrasing.

Great job with excellent learning expierence

Current Employee - Accounting Intern in North Canton, OH
    Current Employee - Accounting Intern in North Canton, OH

I have been working at Walsh University

Pros

I love working for Walsh University. As an intern I am able to have a very flexible schedule while learning about the finance department and the university as a whole.

Cons

The only con that I have is that as an intern there is no opportunities currently for me to advance within Walsh. But they have been very supporting with my job hunting efforts.

There are great, hard working leaders at Walsh University