Walt Disney Animation Studios

Ed Catmull

visual development intern

Former Employee - Visual Development Intern in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Development Intern in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

work with very talented people and also nice !

Cons

Everything is challenging, it's a high level work, that's why it is so nice !

Great place to work!

Current Employee - FX Artist in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - FX Artist in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Disney Animation Studio has amazingly talented people that are a pleasure to work with. There is an incredible creative work environment. Ton's of access to everything Disney from upcoming projects to resources like the Disney library and the studio lot which is one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. Great life/work balance. Managers respect you and treat you with the utmost professionalism and it's not just them, everyone at the company subscribes to this. Perhaps because folks that work at Disney feel comfortable that they've made it but this was by far one of the most respectful and pleasant places I've ever worked. The pay is really good. Benefits are great once they kick in ( after working 600 hours if you're not already IATSE, 400 if you are ). Disney Animation offers career coaching which is amazing. There is an open door policy when it comes to this. If there's a direction you want to pursue in your career, your managers will happily help get you there and give you the tools and support you need to achieve your goals. Even for me as a contractor this was available and invaluable.

The brand is bigger than life. Silver pass is amazing if you love Disneyland/world, have kids, have a pulse ;). Free Disneyland/world for you and your family, what could be better than that? Great extra curricular activities sponsored by company. Disney discounts are great. They own much more than most realize so their discounts are extensive. I looked forward to every day of work, worked hard, worked with amazing talent and still had time to be home for dinner and see my family. Of course if you're the type that just wants to work, work, work, you can do that too. Over all I loved working at WDAS and would happily return.

Cons

If you haven't already worked at Disney as a union employee (IATSE) you have to work 600 hours before you can apply for benefits. If you're returning it's 400 hours. For me, being on a 7 month contract that meant that I was paying for my own insurance until the day after I left, but then I had health coverage for the next year covered 100%. The time you're covered depends on how many hours you worked. For me that meant 12 months of coverage, for others it meant 6 months. This is a strange thing that pertains mostly to contract employees and in my situation the day my benefits kicked in just happened to be the Monday following my last day. That is not their policy, just the way it played out for me. Other than navigating the union I have no other cons to report about the company.

Keep up the good work, we notice your efforts and appreciate them!

The best place I've worked so far

Former Employee - CG Animator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - CG Animator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Amazingly talented and friendly people to work with. Amazing working environment and a ton of perks. The best studio I have worked with so far. Great environment for growing as an artist. If you are talented there are so many options for you to move around and grow here. There is a culture that pushes the art side of things higher than other studios I have been.

Cons

Hours can get very long and you must deal with the union to be employed. Unfortunately also you have to move to Los Angeles to work at this amazing company.

Rewarding

Current Employee - CG Animator
    Current Employee - CG Animator

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Creative people and friendly work place.

Cons

Hours can be long to finish projects.

In 1994 the TV Animation Department was autonomous from the rest of the studio but we held our own

Former Employee - Supervisor in North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In 1993 -Our shows we edited were our shows, we didn't have anyone consistently looking over our shoulders

Cons

Due to that we stood on our own we weren't always able to utilize all the studio facilities.

Nothing from the years I worked there, it was perfectly fine.

Best way to immerse yourself if you want to learn more about a job that will make you happy.

Current Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Intern in Burbank, CA

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are amazing, and are now lifelong friends of mine

Cons

Sometimes there are really long hours

Great experience as a summer intern

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Learned a lot about the animation process and business

Cons

Didn't love living in Burbank.

It's been great to work here.

Current Employee - Animation Trainee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Animation Trainee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of friendly, cooperative workers. They are really helpful and as a team, we create wonderful, great movies.

Cons

However, there're quite a lot of work, which causes stress and pressure, especially when you start. It might take a while to get used to.

Good job!

Great Group of People

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is one of the best. Hands down one of the best place I have every worked.

Cons

Hours can be very long

Pros and Cons, just a wider margin

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice benefits, individual offices with doors are great for focused work, amazing talent under one roof.

Cons

Amazingly short-sighted leadership that focuses on retaining employees who are young, cheap, and lack experience. Very little loyalty to individuals who strive for long-term payoffs.

Scheduling is poor; the studio dictates a release date, but the leadership takes far too long to put the work into production, which leads to unnecessary tight schedules that are completely unreasonable. Artists work hours off the clock to meet these deadlines, and management turns a blind eye to it because there is no other option. Rinse, repeat, but with a tighter schedule the next film.

Advancement and retention is skewed by how well you manage your relationship with your boss. No turnover of leadership, and very easy to get pigeon-holed in your job. Cross-departmental shifts are rare. Lots of closed-door politics.

The major complaint has been work/life balance. The complaint is #1 year after year.