Walt Disney Animation Studios

Reset
3.8
Walt Disney Animation Studios President, Pixar and Disney Animation Ed Catmull
Ed Catmull

Best Place to Work on Earth...maybe even in the Universal!

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Production Assistant in Burbank, CA

Pros

Opportunity to GROW!!! They offer free classes to learn everything that they do here. Plus if they don't offer the classes here, they'll give money every year to take them. The hours maybe a little bit long and the pay are not always that great for newbies, but you get to be apart of the cool process of making movies that influence people. I would say, you get what you put in. You put a lot of time to learn you will reap the benefits DEFINITELY... especially here at Disney!

Cons

The hours. I work a lot of hours but only because the movie is about to be release so it's crunch time! But it'll get back to normal just like accountants after tax season.

Advice to Management

Don't overlook the people at the bottom, with determination and experience they'll rise amongst the ranks!

Production Associate

Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Production Coordinator in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Too much red tape to get work done.

Advice to Management

Stop with the Performance Connections / Reviews - They waste emplyees time, and NO ONE CARES TO BE PART OF IT!

3. Rewarding

Current Employee - CG Animator
    Current Employee - CG Animator

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Creative people and friendly work place.

Cons

Hours can be long to finish projects.

5. Disney Animation in a Nutshell

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Burbank, CA

Pros

Great work environment with quality coworkers. Great opportunities for growth, learning and advancement. Excellent perks like company parties and access to parks and discounts on merchandise.

Cons

Frequent layoffs and reorganizations makes it a tense environment at times.

Advice to Management

Make more clear decisions for the future direction of the company and try better to stick to those decisions.

Review for Walt Disney FA

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burbank, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Burbank, CA

Pros

Excellent location, very good food/gym/etc. Will give top-notch equipment for work use. Industry leader in feature animation. Above all, one of the very few major places to work for comp graphics.

Cons

Somewhat isolated from the animatiors. Communication with designers are somewhat lacking. There are major cliques even within the same department, making it difficult to mingle.

Advice to Management

Better work environment (physical) would be very beneficial. More lights and Windows please. For Software Development teams, it is difficult to collaborate among team members.

Awesome place to work if you don't mind the long hours.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Most of the coworkers are truly brilliant, which makes it a great learning opportunity. - You get to work on awesome movies. - The company is always doing fun things for the employees including movie screenings, food, etc. - They will feed you if you're doing OT. Usually the food is pretty good too. - Subsidized cafeteria - You get a Silver Pass, which means you can go to any Disney park for free.

Cons

- The hours can get pretty long, especially during crunch time. The project I worked on had us doing 72 hr weeks for about three months. - You feel it less at the Animation studio than other parts of the Disney company but the place can seem pretty corporate.

Advice to Management

Schedule the movies for an extra month or two so that people don't have to work such crazy hours for so long.

Amazing 15 years at the Studio. I do not regret one day.

Former Employee - Production Manager in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Production Manager in Burbank, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

*One of the most experienced and powerful studios in the industry *During my tenure, amazing people were there to work with who I will keep contact with for the rest of my career *I love their product

Cons

*Extremely hierarchical structure *Many decisions, especially of late, seem to be made with bottom line in mind and not the creative health or longevity of the company. *Layoffs of experienced vets are frequent and new talent does not seem to understand legacy

Advice to Management

*Value the legacy along with short term financial gains *Invest in talent inside the company as well as external sources *Value the opinions of veterans who may know a thing or two

Great Group of People

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The atmosphere is one of the best. Hands down one of the best place I have every worked.

Cons

Hours can be very long

10. It's been great to work here.

Current Employee - Animation Trainee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Animation Trainee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are a lot of friendly, cooperative workers. They are really helpful and as a team, we create wonderful, great movies.

Cons

However, there're quite a lot of work, which causes stress and pressure, especially when you start. It might take a while to get used to.

Advice to Management

Good job!

11. In 1994 the TV Animation Department was autonomous from the rest of the studio but we held our own

Former Employee - Supervisor in North Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in North Hollywood, CA

I worked at Walt Disney Animation Studios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In 1993 -Our shows we edited were our shows, we didn't have anyone consistently looking over our shoulders

Cons

Due to that we stood on our own we weren't always able to utilize all the studio facilities.

Advice to Management

Nothing from the years I worked there, it was perfectly fine.

RSS Feed </> Embed